Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why, oh, why, oh, why are resort websites so very crap?

Poster: A snowHead
@Gämsbock, Wolffenschiessen?

Try the Hotel-Restaurant Alpina (www.alpina.s5.com), the Ochsen (www.restaurant-hotel-ochsen.ch).

There's more in Oberrickenbach (www.restaurant-bannalpsee.ch) or Grafenort (www.gastehaus-grafenort.com).

Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's a compound problem. Firstly it's about power. Knowledge is power and it makes Tourist-Offices feel important to control the knowledge. Secondly it's paranoia, never forget the internet is an evil anglophone invention. They know they have to have a website, but are suspicious of making it useful. Thirdly it's about protectionism. How would all the bonne-femmes justify their cosy jobs at the office of disinformation were it not for the steady stream of calls, visitors, and most importantly faxes, all pathetically begging for the lift opening times? Finally, they can't resist shiny things. Bells, whistles, flash, music, pop-up, drop-down, scrolling, fading - it's all merveilleux!

Nevertheless, wouldn't it be awful if the continent was no different to England... snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevomcd wrote:

Les Arcs at one point a couple of years back had a summer website divided into 4 or 5 sections which all had titles like "breath", "relax", "inspire", "excite". OK, but where are the fecking lift opening times?

Yeah lots of websites love that bollux and the whole " my life is perfect becos I'm in Xxxx" photomontages . I generally want to know opening/closing dates, pass prices and have a piste map I can scroll without having to download a pdf
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@shep, a terribly reasonable post for 00:48 am snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gämsbock wrote:
Supposedly you can figure out who has available accommodation on them.

Not on any Italian ones that I have tried.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@shep, The internet is of course an American invention (ARPNET), but we had similar ones in the UK (JANET IIRC) about the same time. However, the worldwide web is a French/Swiss invention arising from CERN in geneva.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I completely agree. Websites have either been "improved" or are so ancient that they are stuck in the 1990s (the worst of the latter are the Monterosa website which along with Cervinia are so ancient and clunky you struggle to find anything out).
You should be able to go to a home page and find links directly to:
Piste map.
Open lifts-with map and open pistes.
Webcams.
Accommodation.
Resort map.
Ski schools.

All should be tablet friendly. Please please no random little lines in the top right or left to pull down a menu. Just stick the sodding menu on the home page.
Nuff said.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually, despite my comment on p1, I've just checked my apartment bookings on the Laax website and it seems to be better than most:

http://www.laax.com/en/

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-12-15 12:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blimmin auto playing plinky-plink music really cheeses me off. dunno why French (PdS in particular) webshites insist on such nonsense that disappeared from English language sites about the time that Geocities finally carked it.

sadly now, you're not supposed to use the internet (or things like email applications). you're supposed to "experience it".
Yahoo are #1 culprits there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here is a bad one:

http://www.terrederunning.com/

on my mobile, Nada.

On firefox on Linux - a black screen. Possibly because flash deprecated on Linux.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

On firefox on Linux

working ok here
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that's bad - it does function, for some level of "function", in Linux Chrome/Chromium.
flashturbation and a half
right... now time to go cleanup up flash cookies, which usually seem to bypass any rules about cookie deletion...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Not a happy chappie today, @under a new name? Little Angel Some resort websites are OK. No problem finding the names of pistes, and relevant information about them, in the Espace Diamant.

I had not heard of this area so had a look. Well I just had a look at the http://www.espacediamant.com/en/espace-diamant-120.html and if this is what you mean I am not convinced. Took me a long time to find a piste map and then using it was hopeless. Why do they pin a huge top bar graphic so that I can only see 2/3rds of a useful screen?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@shep, The internet is of course an American invention (ARPNET), but we had similar ones in the UK (JANET IIRC) about the same time. However, the worldwide web is a French/Swiss invention arising from CERN in geneva.

last time I checked the WWW was invented by someone called TimBL....not merkin at all!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ARPANET was the first internet. What TimBL did was link together various technologies like TCP, Hypertext and the internet, develop a web browser and out popped the World Wide Web. He did this while working for CERN which hosted the first website. So both right Smile
snow report
They don't recognize the huge power of web design, which makes the site more user-friendly and less scammy!
latest report
Too many websites regardless of product/service have succumbed to worthless, vacous, ignorant nouveau hipster trendoid design which, like aformentioned hipsters is wholly devoid of any subtance whatsoever. My Rice Krispies tell me more than most websites.......................
latest report
arcsinice wrote:
Too many websites regardless of product/service have succumbed to worthless, vacous, ignorant nouveau hipster trendoid design which, like aformentioned hipsters is wholly devoid of any subtance whatsoever. My Rice Krispies tell me more than most websites.......................

Yep - just because you can does not mean you should
ski holidays
Ed Johnson wrote:
They don't recognize the huge power of web design, which makes the site more user-friendly and less scammy!
Personally I try to avoid web design - hopefully the scammy look keeps the less friendly users away Wink
ski holidays
snowornever wrote:
johnE wrote:

last time I checked the WWW was invented by someone called TimBL....not merkin at all!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
The internet and the WWW are not the same thing.
The WWW is just the vehicle that most people are most familiar with for travelling the 'road network' that is the Internet.
Other vehicles exist...
For example Email is a quite separate vehicle from the WWW - boundaries are blurred though by the fact that many people now use a WWW interface to access their email.
snow report
gopher ftw
snow report
@admin, Thank God you don't have music on here!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy