Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy Winter 2016

Poster: A snowHead
i bet it was well cool up there today,wish i was there
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hows ste foy this weekend don't look to be many there ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Light snow still falling. Excellent skiing!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The PGHM, The mountain police force, had a high presence on and off piste today. Never seen them before in the last 14 years.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fogliettaz, Why was that particularly?

Another wonderful day out and about if a little cold later in the day!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Light snow has continued to fall again most of today, wonderful skiing to had all over the place!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had half an eye on St Foy for a couple of years now, but I think its probably too quiet for the majority of my mates who I usually go away with as they like a lively apres.

Me and my mate have a week off booked for W/C 31st Jan and we're thinking of finally heading out to Sainte Foy as they're will just be the 2 of us and we'd happily have a quiet week if it meant decent snow.

A couple of questions;

Due to my mates work commitments we need to do Sunday to Sunday. How difficult will this be as the following week is half term I think? Any recommendations?

Do you know of any off piste/slack country courses running that week or a suitable guide/instructor that we could use to make the most of the week?

Thanks,
Richard
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
premiere neige have some sunday to sunday properties, although mainly self catered.

also try ben@alpineculture.com they have a great chalet, although outside the actually station....but includes ski guiding and usually does ad hoc days rather than rigid weeks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@joydivision, the following week (6/2) is not UK half term (apart from Bristol bizarrely), it's the first week of French holidays (I know this because it's the week I am looking at). Busier in St Foy that week as it gets more French.

As @stefoy4me says, Premier Neige do Sunday to Sunday properties (not exclusively, some are Sat-Sat). I don't agree that they are mainly catered though, they have more self catered properties than catered - http://www.premiere-neige.com/accommodation/sainte-foy-accommodation.php?strType=Self, although generally for 6+ so probably won't help you. My experience of them is good, but they are on the pricier side.

There are a couple of those self catered blocks with swimming pools etc that we've been looking at, worth looking into.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, and @stevomcd is a terrific host!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apologies @stefoy4me, completely misread your post! Doh.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, yeh you're right about the holiday dates. I've confused myself with the dates as I've chopped and changed my time off so work so much.

Cheers for the links @stefoy4me, and @FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, I'll check them out.

Ah It looks like I came across stevomcds website earlier after Google slack country courses. Will take a closer look.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Small Wonders, Chalet White Eden, alongside a blue run back to the village, offer flexible stays/long weekends. Has hot tub and sauna.

Snow was superb again today, my guys did an off piste guided tour and had a fabulous time, inspite of organising it all themselves and ignoring all the recommendations I had passed on rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@joydivision, we have an off-piste ski course running from Sunday 31st!!!

www.whiteroomchalet.com/win_backcountry_ski_weeks.htm

Snowheads discount available.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Move along, nothing to see here...

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 21-01-16 19:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Fogliettaz, the PGHM seem to turn up and ski around once a season or so...
snow report
Oh, and just a little snapshot of just how good it was last week....

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfp1/t50.2886-16/12563807_877294009054380_215352435_n.mp4
snow conditions
Quote:

@joydivision, we have an off-piste ski course running from Sunday 31st!!!

www.whiteroomchalet.com/win_backcountry_ski_weeks.htm

Snowheads discount available.

@stevomcd, That we would perfect but I neglected to mention that we are snowboarding Embarassed Embarassed I really like the look of your back country courses though. It might be an option for my March trip.

Currently holding off booking to see what the whether is doing in the hope of finding some fresh snow (looks pretty dry for the next week or so all over Europe).
snow conditions
@joydivision, haha, that's a bit ironic - just about everything we do is snowboard-only, this is our only ski week of the winter! I can probably do Sunday-Sunday accom though, with some advice on snowboard guiding.
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
Oh, and just a little snapshot of just how good it was last week....

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfp1/t50.2886-16/12563807_877294009054380_215352435_n.mp4

just rub it in why don't you!! Out on Saturday for the fourth year in a row..looks like we missed it this year, hit the jackpot for the last three trips so cant complain I suppose rolling eyes
latest report
can't wait shell be in ste foy within the next 24hrs,maybe all us snowheads should have a beer and get to put faces to the names.HB Very Happy
ski holidays
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w9DUg_XcfOX7DeiM9p5XT7YajZYWUvug6qmrfCOe0_a9Abg4QQAcIGcdcdOLAaUcbRng6b-aOB67vYxhOjxRNfKI2pY2Vg-XJWLk6kZs3eU8S5UYR_fJUYjYHkmUPItOD6Day2IxSqN8563YRS37wRJ7Q9S7DFYM2tk7soMo8W50o_kbffb7UXWzyP6Q_bLuLFK7LxTr12KlIxnI-ZZRyBmH431DQ7ptTMpaZd9cQ_q-GsED797QSQTpSyF7Kf5e45bJSYX-11LKj57Cq9MgMG_eTR8pV84_qDh6Aa-vxJJ4CtjQHN577Afr5_dD1OlL-_R26pn-cytjvYhbUaWgQM_gbU7UBrTsVo6k3cOd41VpA5rreIBBrBzTjC-qO2CbJ-ayBYY35xWrrL3cnMtRCCMCO7oy1qc8WaNecFm0uFMlLqpzHs4XS6Bhum2k-VAXVy7VWzmG4l1IxbmyvtrkFC09PVFZ8xqYwWVShNUY72mW-Hmj0nRRNCEeTRrq8fYNo3OD_VVXu_qZHi2G0AvAbNkNjWpji4oaOjbR79dfZ39pdMSco0YXeurqYESmby7XvVUb=w824-h618-no

Todays view of the deck!

Why is it so difficult to post pictures?
ski holidays
That didn't work unfortunately.

Cams look like 20-30cm at resort level over night and still going. Does that sound about right? Does it look like turning to rain any time soon?
snow conditions
30-40 cms snow all day. Only 2 lifts open. 13.00 Its just turning to rain @1550mtrs
snow report
Doesn't look too grim, has the rain stopped?
latest report
Can I ask some advice please. I will be in Sainte Foy from the 20/02 - 04/03 and wanted to ask if the Sainte Foy regulars have recommendations for guides. I fancy doing at least a couple of days skiing in the back country conditions permitting but will not do it without a guide.

I am also wanting to take some boarding lessons having given it a go for the 1st time two years ago and caught the bug. Any recommendations for instructors?

Cheers
snow conditions
@Lemond,

http://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/english/winter/ski/off-piste/

Can't go wrong with the Guides office or Tarentaise tours who most of the Guides office work for .
latest report
Following on from Lemond's question about boarding instruction, we're looking forward to being back in Sainte Foy in March again after a great trip last year and are thinking about getting a refresher lesson on the first day - does anyone know of/can anyone recommend a ski instructor or school that would do a half day private lesson (on a monday preferably)?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The team at Snocool are all great, from the independents, Alex Rippe and Carole Gauthier are both really good too. I don't know the guys at the new British ski school, Apex, yet but I'm sure they'd do a good job.
ski holidays
Epic day today! So deep! Toofy Grin

snow report
Sweet!
ski holidays
Looks great! Did they open the top chairlift today?
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:
The team at Snocool are all great, from the independents, Alex Rippe and Carole Gauthier are both really good too. I don't know the guys at the new British ski school, Apex, yet but I'm sure they'd do a good job.

Thanks very much for the info (once again) @stevomcd. We'll contact one or more of those recommendations and see what we can sort out prior to arrival.

Off topic but while looking up Snocool, I noticed that they are next to the Maison de Colonnes which reminded me of the excellent meal we had there last year following your recommendation. Of course, I had forgotten the (important) proviso to avoid Weds, but luckily we got the last table for 2. Lovely atmosphere and service and great food. We'll be popping in again in March.
ski holidays
The Colonnes have had time to get it right, the menu has been the same for the last 12 years at least!
snow conditions
Top lift opened today. It was awesome. You don't get many days like that.

Laps and laps of Crystal / Far Crystal, then an epic Col Granier descent to finish the day. Struggling to keep my eyes open right now.

There's been some wind around, so a few exposed areas (Morion, very top of Crystal, ridgeline around the Marquise) are partly stripped of snow in places, but with a decent amount of fresh still sitting on top, so there's a few hidden surprises. A few surprise random windlips in not-normal locations too. Mostly just adding to the fun today though!

Really not many people on the hill either (although it's French holidays, so there were the obligatory tottering French* families skiing a closed Crystal Dark in thigh-deep, wind-loaded freshies with no gear and no clue...).

*Not being Frenchist, I will happily offer the same criticisms to the Brits who will be doing the same next week...

This was taken at about 14:30 by the way, on about our 4th lap, on one of the easiest lines to reach from the chairlift. You don't get that in Val Chamontignes. Blush
snow conditions
@Fogliettaz, new menu in the Colonnes this winter! (Most notably though, no set menu any more, just a la carte, so it's way more expensive!).
snow conditions
Wow that looks epic!
snow conditions
@stevomcd, There was menu du jour, at lunchtimes at least, when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Around 15 euros if I am remembering correctly, and a dish of the day for around 12 euros. Soup du jour was around 8 euros but was hearty and came with lots of bread. It was a good place to eat after collecting out beginner from ski school. The food was always good and plentiful plus the wines were lovely.
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, yeah, talking about evenings. Lunchtime menu has always been completely different.
latest report
Heavy snow all the way to the valley today!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy