Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai, Solden, Obergurgl or Ischgl this Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to some sound advice from Snowheads I have now booked a car for my weekend trip to Seefeld this Friday.
The next question is which of the higher resorts to visit? I'm travelling with my wife (decent intermediate- I'm experienced) and we intend to explore Seefeld and Innsbruck on Friday and Saturday, which leaves Sunday and Monday for skiing. The resorts I've listed appear to have decent snow at the moment but can anyone tell me which is likely to have less queues (especially on Sunday), which is easiest to get to and park from Seefeld and if anyone has been skiing out there recently, which is likely to have the best snow conditions?

I really appreciate any help on this as it may yet be our only 2 days skiing of the season so we want to maximise it as much as possible.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of those I would probably pick Ischgl.

I doubt you'll have much in the way of queues (gut feeling Stubai & Sölden will be the worst for queues).

Being further to the west Ischgl will pick up a bit more snow from the current weak system (only about 5-15cms, but will freshen up the pistes a little at least). They also have lots of terrain open already. I haven't skied there yet this season so no comment on quality.

I would also consider Lech - less terrain open than Ischgl (though still enough), but will again pick up a bit more snow today.

All of them are about as easy as each other to drive too, and all within 20 mins or so of each other in terms of driving time. You'd want winter tyres on the hire car if driving over the Arlberg Pass to Lech, but it's not an arduous journey (2-5cms of snow on the road when I went over this morning).

Hope that helps!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Add possibly Kuhtai, Kaurnertal, and Pitztal.

Obergurgl is very close to Solden and Kuhtai and can be reached from the near end of the same valley. For just a couple of days I'd stick to those area if it were me and save on travelling further afield. You should be fine for parking at all three.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Millom, really wouldn't bother with Kuhtai right now. Poor snow (though it's higher than most resorts in the area, it usually seems to be drier too) but more importantly VERY limited amount of terrain open.

Obergurgl has plenty of terrain open, but as you have to drive the whole length of Ötztal to get to it, the journey is at least as long as driving to Ischgl - which will have slightly more fresh snow from today.

I've never skied Kaunertal or Pitztal so can't speak for them. Definitely shorter journey though.

Guess you could also chuck Serfs-Fiss-Ladis in the mix too. I don't know what the snow's like, but they seem to have quite a few lifts open.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999,

Would the OP get a motorway sticker on his hire car? Would need one for travelling to the resorts nearer Vorarlberg.

Kaunertal and Pitzal are both pleasant but small (although both should have most open as high). Kaurnertal maybe a little more of interest on piste. Pitztal is in a bowl so probably good snow everywhere. Kaunertal is more elongated so maybe better snow nearer the top.

Problem with Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis may be that you have to travel a bit to get to the higher slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Based on googlemaps:

Seefeld to Obergurgl lower lift 1h20
Seefeld to Ischgl lifts 1h15 (using the motorway)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Assuming using the motorway Stubai seems quickest to reach, and not much difference between any of the rest (ignoring Kuhtai that clarky999 dismisses as an option).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zugspitze going North from Seefeld wouldn't be a bad drive too. Not sure what the situation is like there with the Glacier.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Millom wrote:
@clarky999,

Would the OP get a motorway sticker on his hire car? Would need one for travelling to the resorts nearer Vorarlberg.

Good point - I really don't know though.

As you say Stubai is the shortest drive (and has plenty open), but likely also one of the busiest.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Millom, unlikely and a 10-day sticker is only 8.70 Euro. You may be lucky and have a few days left from someone else, but the 10-sticker is way cheaper than having to pay the fine! wink

I would look at the options around Innsbruck to be honest as the rest will require more travelling time, meaning less skiing time. Take a look at Bergfex and see what is open and make your decision on a day to day basis. Today for example it would not be fun skiing here because of the weather - any of the places you listed would be in cloud and snow. As they are all above the treeline this is not everyone's favourite way of spending a day skiing. for example, I have real problems and suffer quite badly from a kind of motion sickness in whiteouts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks That's very useful. I will check the snow reports tomorrow but if it looks like Ischgl has done best out of the recent flurry we will probably head there on Sunday. My wife will be pleased as she's slightly obsessed about skiing in Switzerland so we should be able to tick that if the link is open. Interesting insight into Lech. I went there a few year's ago from St Anton (and loved it) but can't remember seeing where the car parks were? Being Austria, I'm sure they've got it all well organised. I will have a look on the website.

@Millom, I hadn't even considered Kaunertal or Pitztal. I notice they are a bit smaller but that isn't necessarily a problem. @clarky999, you say they would be a shorter journey but a look on Google Maps and they seem to be similar distance to the likes of Solden and not much closer than Ischgl. If they would save 20-30 mins journey I would be tempted..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
Millom wrote:
@clarky999,

Good point - I really don't know though.

As you say Stubai is the shortest drive (and has plenty open), but likely also one of the busiest.

I'd have thought it would depend on where the car was hired from. If Austria then, going by stories from others, they tend to have year ones on. Other countries don't.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think I would just go for Ischgl it has I think the most km of slopes open in the alps at this time (118km on a wednesday more on the weekend) and on the webcams and on facebook the conditions look pretty awesome. For the sake of 20 mins I think it's well worth it.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @AthersT, that has inspired me. Ischgl it is for Sunday and then we can either return on Monday or maybe try Stubai if we want a slightly shorter drive. I'm guessing Monday will have less queues than Sunday?

Thanks as well for all the advice about toll roads I will ask with the car hire company but as @Samerberg Sue, says, it's not the end of the world if we have to fork out for a 10 day pass.

Is anyone skiing around Innsbruck today? Has the snow from yesterday made much difference?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@EdYarker, in MOntafon and not skiing today, but it's certainly made a (at least cosmetic) difference at Nordkete.

I was hiking there on on Sunday (in a t-shirt) and the only snow was about 50-100m higher up the mountain than the big gondola station in the webcam vid (literally 0 below). Now it's down to below the chairlift (the gondola station is at ~1900m btw).

http://www.nordkette.com/die-bahn/webcam.html

Also snowed to the base station at Axamer Lizum, though they haven't opened any new pistes.
snow conditions
For a combination of a snowy, Christmassy atmosphere, also at village level, and some good skiing, Lech is currently probably unbeatable. I'm quite convinced especially the lady will like Lech much more than Ischgl, or any of the glaciers. In pre-season you don't have to worry about queueing anywhere, not even in the weekends.
Parking in Lech is underground below the church, or near the Schlosskopfbahn Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-12-15 12:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thanks @clarky999, and @Langerzug. looks like we will get some decent skiing in after all, although I'm now still in about 3 minds as to where to go! That picture looks luuurvley!
snow report
Well, maybe this helps; Ischgl-village today:
snow report
@Langerzug, you naughty man! There's near enough no skiing at village level in Ischgl it all starts around 500m higher.
Fair enough the village is more picturesque in Lech, but snow cover at village level is almost irrelevant to conditions at Ischgl.

http://www.ischgl.com/en/active/ski-winter/slopes-facilities/skimap/map - 145Km Open today! Very Happy
snow report
For sure Ischgl has more open, as always early season. And as always: based on artificial snow.
But even higher up, Ischgl does not have a closed snowcover, making the outlook/atmosphere less attractive.
Lech is very white, and has a major part of the skiresort open, nicer restaurants, quieter etc.etc.etc
And as the topicstarter is just going for one day, likes similarly atmospheric Seefeld, is with his wife.....I was thinking....etc.etc.etc
latest report
@Langerzug, I reckon as the OP is going skiing on two days he should go to both.
It does like very white in those images as it snowed yesterday at Lech and only very little amount fell at Ischgl.
Both are good resorts - I recommend going to Lech on the Sunday and Ischgl on the Monday when it will be empty - you have to go to Alp Bella on the swiss side and experience the Chicken for lunch!!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 10-12-15 14:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Naa, go to Ischgl both days and go to Alp Bella both days for chicken Very Happy

Alp Bella's in Switzerland too...
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Well, maybe this helps; Ischgl-village today:

As AthersT says this is a stupid post Langerzug. Zurs may or may not have better snow than Ischgl area but you showing this picture means nothing and is purposely misleading! I suggest no-one take anything you post seriously if that's what you come up with.
snow report
I will add a picture of the ski area of Ischgl showing there is no misleading here.
In fact, you are misleading here, saying my picture of Lech (1450 m.)would actually be Zürs (1700 m.), which is not true.
Maybe the reality of the difference in natural snowcover between Lech and Ischgl is a bit too much for you to handle?
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Naa, go to Ischgl both days and go to Alp Bella both days for chicken Very Happy

Alp Bella's in Switzerland too...

Sure is...yummy...maybe tomorrow?
snow report
@Langerzug, https://www.facebook.com/paznaun.ischgl/photos_stream
Plenty of natural snow (as well as artificial!) at Ischgl i think. I don't mind where the OP goes, but there is no need to use a photo like the one you used above and tell the OP to go somewhere else, when in reality the above photo is irrelevant.

EDIT: Once skiing over to Samnaun (Switzerland) for the yummy yummy chicken is included the area looks in unbelievable condition see here - https://www.facebook.com/EngadinScuolSamnaun/

Posted today -

Posted last week -

ski holidays
@AthersT, looks a lot better than where I'm going for Christmas Sad!
snow conditions
@Millom, much better than where I'm going too, but there is still time!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smile True but the forecasts aren't getting any better and running out of time. I'd be happy with a few days of fresh snowfall (5-10cm) but even that looks in some doubt. I should have noted how rocky Alpe d'Huez is without heavy snow Smile! Lesson learned but still have the option to get a few days in Les Deux Alpes on top of whatever is available in Alpe d'Huez.
snow report
Always amazed at how much snow the Euro resorts are able to blow on piste. I've been thinking of Ischgl as a possible choice for Christmas week. Will wait and see how the forecast shapes up this weekend before deciding though. Would be coming from Zurich, and don't fancy hiring a car for the trip.
snow conditions
@Toadman, looks like there could be a pretty decent dump at Ischgl next week too. Too early to be totally sure though.

snow conditions
@AthersT

Yes, noticed that possibility. I currently have a place already pre-booked in Wengen, which I can cancel without penalty up until Dec. 14th. So, going to leave the decision until then. I haven't recently looked at the Ischgl accommodations lately but would imagine there is still some decent choices for Dec. 19-26th.
snow report
Beautiful day up top in Ischgl today Happy
ski holidays
@mayr, those few words appreciated as we arrive Sunday for a week abd I was getting increasingly concerned with the high temperatures.

Never been to Ischgl and very much looking forward to it.
snow conditions
@mayr, those few words appreciated as we arrive Sunday for a week abd I was getting increasingly concerned with the high temperatures.

ski holidays
alltnaha wrote:

Come say hello and have a beer, I am up top every day now Cool

We will have fresh snow later next week I think.
snow conditions
Anxiously looking at forecasts. I hope that things shape up and firm up with the forecast in the next few days, as I'm sure everyone else does who is booked from now until the New Year!
snow report
I've been skiing in ischgl this weekend. Piste conditions were really good considering the limited base. Reasonably hard packed, and not the gloopy artificial stuff you sometimes get. They held up well all day with a little ice in the afternoon, but fine. Obviously no off piste to be had. A great first ski for me this season. Very pleased I went.
ski holidays
Arrived in Ischgl this afternoon with 2 friends, webcams look good. Looking forward to the first ski of the 15/16 season tomorrow morning. Am here until Boxing Day.
Anyone else in Ischgl next week or the week after?
ski holidays
Yo!!I'm in Ischgl from 20th to 27th
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy