Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2015 / 16

Poster: A snowHead
@Scarlet, we just bought him back a microwave meal to the hotel where he's been resting and he seemed to take it well. The only issue with the balls deep epic pow is that you can end up dragging a pole...which rotates the rotator cuff resulting in equally epic screaming #firstworldproblems
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get well soon, Rabbit! x
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sharkymark wrote:
The only issue with the balls deep epic pow is that you can end up dragging a pole...which rotates the rotator cuff resulting in equally epic screaming #firstworldproblems

Proper rotator cuff tear = nasty! Man flu on ski trip = nasty. Graham should just harden up wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sharkymark wrote:
..........The only issue with the balls deep epic pow is that you can end up dragging a pole...

......maybe if he had longer legs............. hope he doesn't snag his helmet on something....... perhaps more supportive underwear?

So many smutty one liners, so little time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharkymark wrote:
@Scarlet, The only issue with the balls deep epic pow is that you can end up dragging a pole...which rotates the rotator cuff resulting in equally epic screaming #firstworldproblems

I'm a bit puzzled on how someone has a rotator cuff issue when skiing "epic" japow snow? Previous injury re-aggravated? Or pole plant getting planted to firmly and stuck, and not dragging the pole? I thought japow was so light and cold smoke, that it evaporated like a mist as if nothing more than a dream? Cool

In any event the pics are sweet. Keep them coming if still possible to do so with rotator cuff issues.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Toadman, Japow wasn't the issue; stacking it on a compacted run out was. Always the bloody flat bits
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In other news, the Rabbit has perked up, I can lift a glass of orange juice and Graham is existing. Weather clearer today in Sapporo so we'll head to Teine Highland. No snow forecast before we leave so a couple of chilled days seeking out any stashes we can find Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rule 5 guys, rule 5. Happy . Sounds like it has been an amazing trip.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Teine Highland was today's place of Japow stoke and it turns out it's quite a hidden gem. It's only 40 mins or so from central Sapporo and has great views over the city; that is, if it wasn't snowing. Again Very Happy No stormriding-balls-deep-blower-pow today but still some soft spots in the trees between the pistes. As with other resorts, Teine has a backcountry gate that leads to a very unexpected surprise: a superb 35 to 40 deg couloir lined with stable 'soft' chalky snow. Perfect. Best snow in a couloir since Lofoten 2014 snowHead All this a 5 min trot from the lift. On ththe way we passed some interesting terrain features; as modelled by Graham in the photo. Another very good day snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Graham shredding in the lower part of the couloir in classic Japan visibility...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sharkymark, Teine was my favourite resort on Hokkaido - scored that couloir untracked with 40cms of blower NehNeh

Enjoy! An enjoy Sapporo, it's a fun city!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can't beat Teine. Best lift served lines in Hokkaido. I've probably had 100 days + there and still was discovering new options.

Glad everyone's having a good time out there this season. I'm missing it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like a lot of snow and cold temperatures due over the weekend and next week. Looks colder than when I was there mid January.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, there's always one... rolling eyes wink

We've enjoyed a lot of Sapporo over the past 2 weeks

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sharkymark wrote:
@Toadman, Japow wasn't the issue; stacking it on a compacted run out was. Always the bloody flat bits

Ah, totally understood. Nothing like having to skate and pole on those bloody flat bits. Especially in deep snow, I would imagine.
snow report
@Toadman, the run outs had remnants of the frozen crud from the rain so a nice hard surface to do yourself in on!

@MagSeven, @clarky999, we rated Teine and so many lines for a big pow day. May head back that way tomorrow before flying to Tokyo, who knows Very Happy
snow conditions
@Sharkymark, are you using Sapporo as your base?
snow conditions
Quote:

Nothing like having to skate and pole on those bloody flat bits
I had no idea this was a common way of doing in a rotator cuff - it's exactly what I did a year ago.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, not really: we've travelled somewhere new every day or two. This is our third stay in Sapporo!

@Hurtle, it wasn't poling that did it (that just makes me whinge even more!): I hit a lump on a landing and caught my arm outstretched. Shoulder made a sound like tearing fabric. Physio!
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, sounds good (although not the shoulder bit). Last time in Niseko I hit a buried ice ball and then landed on my head so hard I thought Yotei was erupting. Managed to find the only hard bit on the hill and connect my head to it with some force rolling eyes
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
@clarky999, there's always one... rolling eyes wink

We've enjoyed a lot of Sapporo over the past 2 weeks

Toofy Grin

Laughing

Sorry, haven't had anywhere near enough powder this season, so have to live in the past a bit!
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
@rob@rar, not really: we've travelled somewhere new every day or two. This is our third stay in Sapporo!

@Hurtle, it wasn't poling that did it (that just makes me whinge even more!): I hit a lump on a landing and caught my arm outstretched. Shoulder made a sound like tearing fabric. Physio!
ow, ow, OW! I was poling along a flat bit (having just skied - sort of - an extremely steep slope and feeling rather pleased with myself for having survived it) hit an unseen obstacle under the snow and double-ejected on to my head. Had no idea I'd hurt myself until I leant on one hand to stand up. Eek. Skullie
latest report
@clarky999, apparently, Niseko is 2m down on snowfall to date compared to last year. I'd like to see it with the extra 2m... Shocked
latest report
@Sharkymark, IIRC most of last season's snowfall arrived early doors and late Jan into early Feb were relatively dry (emphasis on relatively). You seem to have scored it much better than I did this time last year...not that we were in any way skunked snowHead

Your reports have removed any lingering doubts regarding whether I want to go back Happy
snow conditions
@Sharkymark, congratulations on finding muscle in those shoulders.
For a man that doesn't like fish you do pick your destinations.
snow report
Epic day - 3,000' skinned, lots of fresh, face shots, due to snow lots overnight... Best day in Japan so far Happy
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, @Sharkymark now loves sushi (we didn't really give him much choice) - that is, all except the raw sea urchin: that is apparently 'beyond the limit'.
latest report
Laughing I'd have paid good money to watch
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Epic day - 3,000' skinned, lots of fresh, face shots, due to snow lots overnight... Best day in Japan so far

Like the sound of that Very Happy
snow conditions
latest report
@clarky999,
I've edited out the "t=120" bit from my posts on pages 5 & 6 and those embedded files do not auto-play any more.
Yours is still going so could you please edit or delete your post? Many thanks.

Lesson learnt not to use: a) Vimeo-specific-time-start; and b) Annoying freebie soundtracks...
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Grinning wrote:
It was sweet a couple of weeks ago: Niseko briefly, then Kiroro, Kokusai, Asahidake and Furano...
memorable:
Hokkaido short edit from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/154908420
I can't seem to turn this off, it comes on again every time I open the thread. Any idea why? I can't even turn the sound off. Lovely as it is, I've had enough of it now. (Not noticed this happening with any other vimeo vid I've watched.)

Twisted Evil

Please either delete your post or edit out the text "#t=120s" - this is the auto-start bit that causes it to auto-play. Looks like some mischief could be caused by this feature ;o)
snow report
The JaPLAN has finally been completed. Got a few photos to sort out and summarise the last day of skiing...which, despite forecasts to the contrary, resulted in...POWDER snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report

To round things off, Saturday was our last ski day before we headed back to Tokyo in the evening. We were all pretty knackered by the this point having been living out of bags for a night or two at a time over the past 2 weeks. We decided on a fairly chilled day back at Teine Highland to finish. When we arrived late morning, it was evident there had been snowfall overnight. It didn't look like a lot but we dived into the trees under the main chair and discovered about a foot of fresh. We returned to the first couloir out of the gate and found similar conditions with untracked deep snow on a 35 deg pitch. Perfect. Once we'd plundered that over the course of 3 or 4 runs were traversed further round to a shallower couloir and lapped sparsely tracked boot to knee deep JAPOW all afternoon. What a way to finish snowHead

Here the Rabbit ponders the view towards Otaru at the top of the backcountry couloir.
snow report
Looks a bit foggy Toofy Grin

Glad you had an amazing time, I've enjoyed the updates!
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:

To round things off, Saturday was our last ski day before we headed back to Tokyo in the evening. We were all pretty knackered by the this point having been living out of bags for a night or two at a time over the past 2 weeks. We decided on a fairly chilled day back at Teine Highland to finish. When we arrived late morning, it was evident there had been snowfall overnight. It didn't look like a lot but we dived into the trees under the main chair and discovered about a foot of fresh. We returned to the first couloir out of the gate and found similar conditions with untracked deep snow on a 35 deg pitch. Perfect. Once we'd plundered that over the course of 3 or 4 runs were traversed further round to a shallower couloir and lapped sparsely tracked boot to knee deep JAPOW all afternoon. What a way to finish snowHead

Here the Rabbit ponders the view towards Otaru at the top of the backcountry couloir.

Didn't know you were in Tokyo on sat. I was in Ginza. I soooooo wish I'd taken my boots. I could have joined you.

In JAL lounge at Narita now feeling gutted I wasn't more organised.
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, alas we didn't ski on Honshu. There's always next year snowHead
latest report
I'm currently in Japan, based at Myoko for a week. My group has a car so we've been able to visit a different ski area every day. Shiga Kogen has been my favourite so far. Big area with quite a European feel. Not much use for those travelling from Europe who have the alps nearby but a great option from Australia.

Yesterday was a powder day in Myoko and just getting the car dug out was a challenge! Everyone else in my group decided to ski through deep powder off the side of the run so of course I had to try as well. I fell of course and had to slowly crawl through the deep powder to get back to more compacted snow to get my skis back on.

Next week is Niseko so will report back with some adventures from there
snowHead
snow report
Kiroro delivered for the last 2 days. Deepest powder days ever - yesterday was just mental - so deep you'd do a half dozen turns and constantly be under the snow with no idea where you were going! Dunno how to post a vid from my phone but got some GoPro footage I'll upload when I get home.
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, alas we didn't ski on Honshu. There's always next year snowHead

Hi @Sharkymark I'm now back in Glasgow, flew in from Narita today. I'll catch up later but I met a couple of Ausie Boarders and they said it was waist deep powder heaven. @Raven Last time we spoke you had a stinking cold in Arabba and I had to "dis" you because of my wife's health but glad you are having a great time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy