Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My view on Bode Miller

Poster: A snowHead
Bode is in a position where he knows he is being listened to and quoted for everything and anything he says. He is not naïve or stupid; on the contrary, just the opposite. Similar to John Lennon, he knows he has an audience, and he speaks his mind regardless if it is “PC” or not. I believe he is playing a game with everyone elses head. He’s not interested in the money (he’s made enough) and this is kind of a pay-back for all the constant interviews, FIS dictator type rules, sanctions and invasion into his privacy. Now he is actually having fun, justifying the penalties of being a public star with the power of his words. Honest to God, the Austrians, Swiss and other Europeans have seen nothing like him since English and American 14 year old girls first saw the Beatles. I saw this myself at the 2003 Worlds in St. Moritz. They scream when they see him. He made some intelligent points on the whole doping thing showing its hypocrisy and inconsistency. After the Overall globe last year, he has nothing more to prove. Have no doubt, he would love to win all five medals at Turin, but does not want to have anything to do with the weight of being the great new American hero ala JC Killy. To him like many others on the circuit, the Olympics are just another race and have nothing to do about who is the best (OK but just for that day) even though the whole world including America will watch. He enjoys the sport for what it is. Nobody is as fast as him; anyone on the WC circuit will admit that. He knows exactly what he is doing. He is purposefully exaggerating stories (although I’m sure they are true) and pushing their buttons. He’s a pain in their side and he wants to change things. He has always been a rebel, and his non-conformity is actually quite refreshing to me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree. I think his questions on sport doping are valid and require adult consideration. Not political knee jerking (which is what resulted, to the shame of the sporting authorities - at least as far as one can see from the general media).

He refutes and clarifies his statements on alcohol in his Denver Post slot here.

Own up. Has no-one out there pushed the party a little hard the night before the crucial presentation, exam, interview, long drive, long flight (as a pilot...), et al?

Especially in the circumstances described, as Miller elaborates in the Denver Post,

"I finished second in that GS and wrapped up the overall World Cup title - the only goal I've ever wanted to achieve in skiing, really - and I had a lot of family and friends there.

If you wait to celebrate until after Sunday's slalom, everybody has to leave for flights back to the U.S. and half the people are gone already. So we partied on Saturday night. Then I raced the slalom the next day. That's the story."

Crucially, per CBS, his sponsors are sticking with him, "The story was more gracious than we were expecting after hearing all the hype," said Nike spokesman Dean Stoyer."

As an example to the yoof of today - who would I want my children (should I be so blessed) to emulate: those global paragons of irreproachable virtue George Bush (either one) or Bode Miller?

One guess only...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
Own up. Has no-one out there pushed the party a little hard the night before the crucial presentation, exam, interview, long drive, long flight (as a pilot...), et al?

I confess that I have, even though I didn't have the motivation of celebrating a Crystal Globe victory and reaching a lifelong ambition. But never let the facts get in the way of a good knocking session; it can be so much fun (for some people).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, I used to reckon I skied better with a hangover. Sadly not that much better!! wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiing is the best hangover cure I know.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, very true, only time i can ever be out of bed for 9am and not wishing it all to go away. By the time im halfway up the first lift a hangover is a distant memory!

As for Bode, I really cant see any problem with him skiing hungover (or even after a few beers), particually as when racing the only person there is any chance of injuring is yourself.
How many people have stoped for a pint or two on the side of the mountain????
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jacques, On the nose, totally agree. Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Me too... but I'd just point out that 'Jacques' is not my alter ego, in case anyone wondered. I'm curious as to who he might be though!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, have to say I suspected it was you. And now you've denied it without having been accused, I'm certain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't rule out a return to form for the Olympics...I can see him pull a couple of good ones out of the bag
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JohnHill, Ah well John, you and your certainties! Sorry to disappoint you but as my posting record shows (and the IP address registered with my post) I was at home last night. And unless 'Jacques' was using an anonymous server to post, one of the admins will be able to confirm it wasn't me.

I have used no other pseudonym here apart from PG, and a brief flurry as an antidote to a certain Mr and Mrs Sticks which ceased some months back (Mr and Mrs Stones).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JohnHill, I'm afraid you're a little off the mark here. The IP addresses indicate that Jacques isn't PG with a different hat on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's a big mistake to have an IP address
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, just pushing a few buttons like Bode does. Ian Hopkinson, having different IP addresses proves not a lot.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
He's right. You could have an IP address in town, during the week, and a country residence IP address for the weekends.

I personally have a number of IP addresses (each of which is a big mistake) at various locations in Upper Milton Keynes.
snow conditions
JohnHill, that's true, but Jacques has the same IP address as someone else wink
snow report
... who he is currently in bed with
snow conditions
Quote:

but Jacques has the same IP address as someone else

funny that we haven't heard from Jacques after his epic first post. Normally people stay interested in the thread they start. Is he French? Fantastic command of English. Cynical? Moi?
ski holidays
Well, JohnHill, you can choose to believe me or you can choose not to. 'jacques' clearly feels that the subject of Bode Miller is one which he prefers to deal with under the cloak of anonymity,with which I don't have a problem. Jacques 'other' identity would imply he is not French, but since someone has gone to the trouble of posting under a pseudonym I feel it would be wrong to reveal their more commonly used username.
snow report
I think JohnHill's winding you up, Ian.

I know who he is, and he's not called JohnHill! [but journalistic ethics require me not to betray the anonymity of a source]

All I know about Jacques is that he writes very long paragraphs. Does he share that forensic clue with his other identity?
snow conditions
JohnHill, he is obviously someone's alter ego, but given the content of the post (similar to points I'd made elsewhere) plus the Frenchified name, it was clear that certain people would jump to conclusions! rolling eyes Could that have been the intention? Surely not!

Personally I prefer to make points in my own name - even so, there are communication difficulties enough in forums when people post in their own right. My ID is readily available via my sig. When people use anonymous handles to attack others, it gets far worse. Fortunately that happens rarely here! Hope that clears things up, JohnHill, (or whoever you are... Confused)
latest report
In my view, snowHeads would be a better place if people stuck to one identity. Jokes don't need to be posted from a "joke identity" to be funny, and stirring up arguments might be reduced if people were doing it on their normal login.
ski holidays
Would it be possible to stay on tangent with the subject at hand? I am Jacques, free-spirited like the Americans and French. I am a Downhill racer among other things. It will be an exciting week-end in the Bernese Oberland. The "Suits" will attempt to scold and condemn Bode, but he is laughing as he knows those vulnerable children see more clearly than Bill Marolt and the FIS mafia. The Lauberhorne piste, long and high speed, requires both technical and gliding skills. It favours the Austrians, but Bode may have good reason to get pissed Saturday night as he will do well also. He could easily win both the SC Friday and DH Saturday. Pepi Strobl will make his first mark of the season. Ghedina is on fire! He may well perform his front flip off the Mousefalle next Saturday on the Streif.
snow report
Jacques, Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Jacques wrote:
Would it be possible to stay on tangent with the subject at hand?

It would have been easier to stay on-piste if we hadn't been distracted by your use of a pseudonym.

To return to the debate, I also hope that Bode does well this weekend. I like his maverick approach to ski racing. The sport needs personalities who can shine out from behind the goggles and catsuits. There's not enough like him, in my opinion.
snow conditions
Jacques, you can bet he will be highly motivated, behind the laid-back facade. That might not work in his favour though. First training run results don't show much, for some it's little more than a course inspection, but they are here...
snow report
PG, rob@rar.org.uk, David Goldsmith, Ian Hopkinson, Ok, so I also hide behind an alias. I much prefer it. I’ve had a speedy trawl through and reckon that something like 60 – 70% of folks on here don’t use their true identity. Those that do often have quasi advertisements for their alpine businesses or whatever. I am on here for FUN and to add hopefully knowledgeably to certain debates. David Goldsmith, I’m sure, would confirm that I have never pumped up any of my wintersport business interests on here or even defended them if they were ever slagged off (which has happened a few times). There is a set of rules on this site and people seem to follow them pretty well anonymous or not. For my personal set of business circumstances and involvement in the sport generally, anonimity is the only way to go. You'll just have to trust me on that. There are plenty of other industry people on here I know who'd rather just be able to contribute freely and operate in exactly the same way.

Anyway, who the hell is Jacques?
Quote:

Ghedina is on fire! He may well perform his front flip off the Mousefalle next Saturday on the Streif.
I've seen him do a cossack at 70mph but I think you're getting a little carried away here.

Re our dear Bode... http://www.natives.co.uk/action/list.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=866& - there's no "I" in TEAM, but there is a "ME".
latest report
JohnHill wrote:
[Ok, so I also hide behind an alias. I much prefer it.

I have no problem at all with people using an alias. It doesn't matter to me whether people use their real name, a fictituous name, or some easily remembered moniker as their login. What I have a problem with is people using multiple aliases or identities. It seems to be, at best, a recipe for confusion.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That sums it up. Very rarely are there problems with single monikers, with one or two notorious exceptions where untraceable individuals have used anonymity to defame others at will. Doesn't apply to this thread (or the other one) of course. (By the way, I was in no way suggesting you personally consume an excessive number of desserts JohnHill wink, it was an all-encompassing 'if the cap fits' comment aimed at the viewing public in general...)

So now that's sorted! Sorry for the diversion, Jacques (whoever the hell you are Very Happy)
snow report
My view of Bode Miller (which, by coincidence, is the title of this thread) is that he is a nomadic beast who likes to scare everybody by making loud grunting noises. He leaves a trail of 'large footprints'. which keep lots of reporters scuttling around the place and make people wonder who he is.
latest report
Not using multiple aliases would also, in my opinion, reduce the number of posts which seek to belittle other users through the thin disguise of 'humour'.
snow conditions
I can't see the point of multiple aliases - come on admin (sorry Ubrain, sorry Graham) why don't you ban them?
snow conditions
easiski, agreed - what is the point? Monikers - fine.
My monikers vary a bit depending on which site I am on - e.g. SCGB makes you use your whole name and I prefer not to (because I have an unusual surname - in fact there is only one of me in the UK and only one other (in the USA) if you google me).

I also visit some financial bulletin boards and it is sometimes fairly obvious (but irritating)when someone expresses an opinion and then uses one of their aliases to agree with themselves.
latest report
easiski, I'd rather things weren't banned just because some people don't see the point of them. I'm sure there are people who don't see the point of skiing. It's a bit like the Grand Old Duke of York, isn't it? wink

Anyway, there's no sure way of preventing anyone from establishing multiple virtual identities.
ski holidays
laundryman, I also think it would be difficult to ban them (I could easily and untraceably have two, one from home, one from work) but that doesn't mean that I understand why people would would choose to have multiple monikers.
ski holidays
Nick L, nor me ... and nor my alter egos. wink
snow conditions
What is it that leads you to believe I am using multiple aliases or IP addresses? In fact, I registerd with one address, and Jacques is both my user and signature name. Perhaps I should move on to a differnt forum. I was interested in discussing some current issues related to the World Cup and the downhill pistes themselves, but for reasons that escape me, it seems the game of "Clue" may be more in order to tickle your fancy. RIP Bill Baker, my best friend. Max and Martin Julen (clue - keyword: Julensport) won't see one like you again anytime soon. So I'll say Tschuss...bye-bye.
latest report
Jacques wrote:
What is it that leads you to believe I am using multiple aliases or IP addresses?

When Ian Hopkinson said:
Quote:
Jacques 'other' identity would imply he is not French, but since someone has gone to the trouble of posting under a pseudonym I feel it would be wrong to reveal their more commonly used username.

and he also said:
Quote:
Jacques has the same IP address as someone else Wink

I assumed it was fairly obvious. Perhaps I was wrong to assume this?
latest report
That's a shame. No one was targeting you in any shape or form as far as I can see - there was just an unfortunate bit of side-tracking that harks back to discussions elsewhere. Mostly tongue in cheek too.

As for your original point, I thought it was being discussed fairly, with a considerable amount of support for your point of view, before it went off at a tangent.
snow report
Merci PG, Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy