Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do boarders damage the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like Canada has a different take...

http://yobeat.com/2015/12/07/canadian-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-declares-war-on-skiing/

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sitter, I agree, stationary skiers need to look uphill before setting off - this is not mutually exclusive with the downhill skier priority rule, both apply. In my experience boarders in general are better at looking uphill before setting off and also before doing anything unexpected, I guess because they have a blind spot and therefore recognise that others may also have one! One thing that skiers could learn from boarders.

But of course I am generalising, suggesting that all boarders are the same, trolling, biased against borders, and otherwise being unfair and unbalanced! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a snowboarder a lot of my personal frustration with recreational skiers comes from the fact that snowboarders (and skiers) can look at the mountain and terrain very differently to someone who likes clocking up miles and getting on every lift.

we can quite easily spend half an hour a day waiting for skiers (and snowboarders) just standing around waiting for people to move who have decided to stand on or in the run in/out of a transition.

there not doing anything wrong, but it can be frustrating when someone sits down for a picnic on the top of a natural kicker.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

But of course I am generalising

Well slightly......anyone who sets off without looking up the hill is asking for trouble.............! wink

Quote:

In my experience boarders in general are better at looking uphill before setting off and also before doing anything unexpected

You've got some pretty definitive data there then.....?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, You are kidding right? The reason I said "in my experience" is that I don't have any definitive data, just my experience! Not at all sure what your point is.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a skier, I can understand why some people would go to a resort that bans borders.

now, before anyone starts jumping up and down getting their panties in a bunch - these are my experiences. From MY point of view (which is allowed in a DISCUSSION forum) I can see the perks of not having to listen to that scrapping sound that boarders make, or gangs of them thinking they've the right of way because 'boarding is so much cooler than skiing' or whatever, or the tied up jumble of tangled snowboards when trying to get on a lift, or having to sit next to that guy who rests his board on my skis, twisting my knee and weighing down my leg - then when he can't off load ot the top pulls my ski out because he can't control his baord at the back end forcing his binding out from behind mine and taking my foot with it nearly making me fall over. I can see the plus side of not having to dodge some stupid little kicker that was built right next to the piste by boarders who just aren't good enough to go to the park, I can see the perks of no one sitting in the middle of the piste on the back side of a roller... or just side slipping down all the way from the top because you're just 'too cool' to put any effort in to turn.

Sometimes one has to focus too much on what others are doing and whether it's dangerous. IMO boarders can be quite dangerous simply for the fact that what I have observed is that they need more time to adjust to something unpredictable or whatever and can't use SO much spontaneity - That said, as long a boarder doesn't take me out (in the wipeout sense) then we're cool and I can be observant enough to adjust - I'm happy sharing the resort, but would like to try a Skiers only resort to judge the difference for myself

Equally I'm sure there are things about skiers that annoy boarders, and i'm not really interested in an arguement, so if you can't see the reasoning behind my POV then tough - i'm not gonna get dragged in to a discussion (read: slating) about who or what is better/worse. And seeing as the OP was about banning boarders from certain resorts, this fits in with some of the reasoning.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 8-12-15 16:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zikomo, Yeah im kidding......just think this thread is pretty random....... it's one big area of white stuff and folk are busy analysing and passing opinion on who does what and causes most damage to the snow etc. I'm more bothered about what they do to the snow off the piste not on it tbph.

It doesn't really matter, like I said somewhere above it's generally big enough for all, and so long as they are safe and the KH's (yes they exist in both ski and boarding camps) don't bang into me or my wife and pals then i'm happy, they can do what they want.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sound like complete segregation is the answer Very Happy Kind of a snowsports Apartheid.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mountain Addiction, but that wasn't the OPs point - it was that someone told somebody that Snowboarding causes more damage to the pisted areas than skiing... which it doesn't. If Deer Valley or Alta want to remain Members Only clubs, so be it - I don't owe them a living nor they me access to their mountain, but at least call it how it is and say "We just don't like you, so you can't come to our party" rather than dressing it up in faux-science and bad statistics.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to get upset about boarders destroying the powder. Now I realise that boarding was a passing fad and I feel kinda sorry for the middle-aged wannabe kool guys who are fighting to maintain a dying sport.

Some targets are so soft that it seems cruel and unnecessary to aim at them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If Deer Valley or Alta want to remain Members Only clubs, so be it - I don't owe them a living nor they me access to their mountain, but at least call it how it is and say "We just don't like you, so you can't come to our party" rather than dressing it up in faux-science and bad statistics.

Does Donald Trump own this resort by any chance Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@Mountain Addiction, but that wasn't the OPs point - it was that someone told somebody that Snowboarding causes more damage to the pisted areas than skiing... which it doesn't. If Deer Valley or Alta want to remain Members Only clubs, so be it - I don't owe them a living nor they me access to their mountain, but at least call it how it is and say "We just don't like you, so you can't come to our party" rather than dressing it up in faux-science and bad statistics.

Has anyone suggested that damage to the piste is the reason that DV ban boarders? Have they given any reason for banning boarders? I don't know. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if it's just a straightforward commercial decision. I.e banning boarders will attract a greater number of skiers than the total boarders they will lose.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones wrote:
I used to get upset about boarders destroying the powder. Now I realise that boarding was a passing fad and I feel kinda sorry for the middle-aged wannabe kool guys who are fighting to maintain a dying sport.

top trolling. well done Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Has anyone suggested that damage to the piste is the reason that DV ban boarders? Have they given any reason for banning boarders? I don't know. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if it's just a straightforward commercial decision. I.e banning boarders will attract a greater number of skiers than the total boarders they will lose.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

I'm not getting drawn in to where the i and the t are supposed to dotted - some snow heads do seem to like that arguement.

It seems the OP (other than physically asking 'Do snowboards damage pistes?' - because SOME people are Oh-So-literal, and can't think that there might be other questions to ask) is more one about 'why ban snowboarders'... I don't care for semantics... my reasons for why are based on the bad behaviour of SOME snowboarders and it is IN MY OPINION. tough titties if some boarders don't like it, i'm not targetting anyone, and if you don't like that - oh well.
latest report
Now that we're just fizzling out into regular "it's like that and that's the way it is" opinion I have to congratulate the OP on a cunningly innovative intro to an entertaining little donnybrook which has enlivened the place no end.
latest report
This topic never fails to draw a reaction, Boarders V skiers........always a good read on a slow day rolling eyes
latest report
eddiethebus wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:

top trolling. well done Cool

I can but try wink
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Now that we're just fizzling out into regular "it's like that and that's the way it is" opinion I have to congratulate the OP on a cunningly innovative intro to an entertaining little donnybrook which has enlivened the place no end.

+ 1

It's a shame the discussion has descended to this level, really - but it seems that's what happens when you invite boarders to give their views on skiers and vice versa wink
latest report
Oooh, all this is all pre-season tension is making me frisky. It manifests different ways each year. Helmets threads - weather panics - this year; it's "SNOWBOARDERS ATE MY PISTE!".

Suppose it's just a natural part of the rich tapestry of life - wonderful in its own way.

@Mountain Addiction, didn't realise you were so vigorously anti-semantic... Ahhhh see what I did there? Yeah you do. Huggles.
Very Happy
snow report
Oh I really tried not to post on this thread rolling eyes

Yes - I think boarders damage the piste a bit more than skiers. On average. Idris covered it I think.

But so what really? It's not that material a difference. The only time I get mildly irritated by it is when there is a few inches of
fresh on a fairly icy base and you see pretty incompetent boarders on black runs sideslipping the steep sections and neatly ploughing all the fresh off the base. But hey, live and let live.

All the other stuff about boarders and skiers being in conflict can be fixed by people (on two planks or one) showing a little respect to each other and just saying no to their inner Mr @rsehole (we all have one, being civilized is about keeping him in check).
snow conditions
for god sake just ski a different line, honestly what a load of
latest report
nobody answered the question on what damage to the piste actually means
latest report
. . .removing large swathes of corduroy before I get the chance to . . .basically. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The short answer to the thread title is YES!!! Laughing
snow report
Belch wrote:
. . .removing large swathes of corduroy before I get the chance to . . .basically. Madeye-Smiley

soooo damage to the piste is basically just the piste being used, which is then bashed on an evening anyway?
ski holidays
@ewanmalone,

. . .its whatever damage (skid marks on corduroy / mini moguls on fresh / over polished ice on hard / rocks & rubble on slush) is created by others (probably but not exclusively snowboarders) prior to me gracing it with my flowing and slightly decadent turns . . .period wink

PS. Sorry - bored and still in the office xx
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

soooo damage to the piste is basically just the piste being used, which is then bashed on an evening anyway?

wellllll not quite. On steep slopes with thin cover, if the fresh gets scraped off before it's consolidated then the piste bashers never really fix it. But as I said above - it's not a big deal.
snow conditions
But what about snowploughing skiers? I guess that's as evil as snowboarders, right? And that would be easy to ban, you could just get some device which makes them not able to do it - a monoski, perhaps, or just some straps which hold the front and the backs of their skis together.

Then there's all that polling business - that can't be good for the snow, it's not a lawn! So no poles, no snowploughing, and we're find with trench digging snowboarders like me... yeah, bring it on, when will you start it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy