Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spending money whilst skiing

Poster: A snowHead
A big breakfast, then the home made butty from breakfast usually gets me to lunchtime, then it's carb-binging time required at lunch to get me through to 16.30 -17.00 (or darkness whichever comes first) après time.....finding great food at affordable prices on the hill in Austria is no big thing, so much to choose, great quality and its pretty good value imo, free wifi also helps me find a good place!

Switzerland and France is another thing, CH-land megabucks, and FR pretty mediocre unless spending a packet in my experience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to Soll a couple of years ago and while the skiing was pretty bumpy and rubbish, the prices were really cheap! A beer in the bars was less than 3 euros and the mountain food wasn't expensive. I reckon take 300 euros worth and see how much you have left at the end of the week. As its euros, you can save up the money for next time if u have much left. Nearly every time I stay in a hotel in Austria, it looks like the pool/sauna/steam room was finished the week before!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If im half board i bring £100. I never even spent that in italy last year... Well technically thats a lie, if i never seen that really nice half price now 300 euro jacket i wouldn't have Laughing

(iv got the card if i run out, i wouldn't just rely on £100)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a family I would allow 150 a day plus evening meal (euros)

2 kids 2adults
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As I understand it the original question was how much spending money should the OP bring for a week to cover eating and drinking during the day, and possibly a drink after skiing on a night or two. The answer is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. For most people I know eating and drinking, especially in the mountain restaurants is a key part of a skiing holiday. I suspect the typical amount most people spend is around 250-300 euros per person, per week. That will get you a couple of coffees/vin chaud/hot chocolate and rum per day, simple lunch with a couple of glasses of wine/beer, and if you are in a chalet you will probably go out on a couple of nights for a beer or two. Don't forget to add in another 40 euros, or so, for the chalet girl's night off when you need to go out to dinner.

Many of the responses seem like Snowhead's answer to the Monty python skit, "The Three Yorkshiremen".

Snowhead #1 - When I go skiing we make do with a couple of coffees, the odd vin chaud and just a pizza and beer at lunch time
Snowhead #2 - Well, when we go we make sure we have a big breakfast before we set out, just one coffee during the day and share a spag bol between the pair of us
Snowhead #3 - Of course, we like to keep costs down and not splash out like you lot. We have two coffees before setting out from our apartment (so we don't need one later in the day) and take a home-made sandwich with us that we share between the us and the kids.

Snowhead #1 - When I said two coffees, a vin chaud and a pizza I didn't mean we did that every day. That was to last us all week.
Snowhead #2 - Luxury! When I said a 'big breakfast before we set out' I meant before setting out from the UK. We don't eat or drink on holiday. We survive by consuming our own body fat.
Snowhead #3 - You lot were lucky - You get to leave the UK? We have to ski in Scotland. Without boots or skis ...... or mountains ...... or snow.

I do understand that not everyone can afford to spend as much as they like on food and drink, but the OP's question was not about spending the least possible amount

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
I'm pretty tight when it comes to skiing and spending cash
says Mountain Addiction....

DISCLAIMER: Not to be confused with Mountainaddict - who enjoys nothing more than private jets to resort, butler/concierge service, foie gras, dancing girls and long champagne lunches in Michelin starred restaurants....Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu,
I'm not surprised that the people who ski in France behave like this wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My eating plan for ski holidays:
Buffet breakfast in hotel. Whatever nice things are on offer. Big fan of Danish pastries and cheese
Lunch: usually tired and hungry by this point so go for whatever looks nice, usually pizza/rotisserie chicken. If not hungry a soup.
4pm: après ski. 3-4 beers. May be more; may be less.
8pm: whatever 3-5 course evening meal the hotel is making. Hopefully there will be a starter or desert buffet to ram home some yummy food.
Next day: begin again
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

FR pretty mediocre unless spending a packet in my experience.

There are a number of delightful restaurants in our area where you can get the plat du jour, which is usually very good, drinkable wine and a coffee for 16 - 17 euros. I don't usually splash out that much though - my standard is chicken wings and chips and a beer, which is around 7.

In Tignes in November I was surprised how good, and how reasonable, the food was in the restaurant at the top of the funicular. Freshly cooked pasta, a great "crudités" bar, chicken etc etc. The drinks were fairly expensive but there was unlimited chilled water on tap.

You don't need to get ripped off but it's certainly possible. The worst value I've had was in Val d'Isere and Flaine but I don't know either resort well enough to find the best places.

I think a lot of places happily coin it in, serving plates of pretty basic "spag bol" to British skiers on autopilot.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty tight when it comes to skiing and spending cash
says Mountain Addiction....

DISCLAIMER: Not to be confused with Mountainaddict - who enjoys nothing more than private jets to resort, butler/concierge service, foie gras, dancing girls and long champagne lunches in Michelin starred restaurants....Laughing Laughing Laughing

snowHead snowHead snowHead

Who says i don't enjoy those things? I happen to be very fond of private jets and champagne - just not when skiing. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pick a night when you went out for good food+social in the UK and multiply the spend by number of expected meal+social combos when in resort. Prices aren't hugely different and people tend to gravitate to places that match their relative affordability level. It *can* be mega costly in some places but then you'd just drink/eat less etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I spend between €150 and €200 per week. That includes food and drink on the mountain, plus evening drinks other than in the hotel.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu wrote:
As I understand it the original question was how much spending money should the OP bring for a week to cover eating and drinking during the day, and possibly a drink after skiing on a night or two. The answer is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. For most people I know eating and drinking, especially in the mountain restaurants is a key part of a skiing holiday. I suspect the typical amount most people spend is around 250-300 euros per person, per week. That will get you a couple of coffees/vin chaud/hot chocolate and rum per day, simple lunch with a couple of glasses of wine/beer, and if you are in a chalet you will probably go out on a couple of nights for a beer or two. Don't forget to add in another 40 euros, or so, for the chalet girl's night off when you need to go out to dinner.

Many of the responses seem like Snowhead's answer to the Monty python skit, "The Three Yorkshiremen".

Snowhead #1 - When I go skiing we make do with a couple of coffees, the odd vin chaud and just a pizza and beer at lunch time
Snowhead #2 - Well, when we go we make sure we have a big breakfast before we set out, just one coffee during the day and share a spag bol between the pair of us
Snowhead #3 - Of course, we like to keep costs down and not splash out like you lot. We have two coffees before setting out from our apartment (so we don't need one later in the day) and take a home-made sandwich with us that we share between the us and the kids.

Snowhead #1 - When I said two coffees, a vin chaud and a pizza I didn't mean we did that every day. That was to last us all week.
Snowhead #2 - Luxury! When I said a 'big breakfast before we set out' I meant before setting out from the UK. We don't eat or drink on holiday. We survive by consuming our own body fat.
Snowhead #3 - You lot were lucky - You get to leave the UK? We have to ski in Scotland. Without boots or skis ...... or mountains ...... or snow.

I do understand that not everyone can afford to spend as much as they like on food and drink, but the OP's question was not about spending the least possible amount

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chameleon001 wrote:
Hi,

Off for our first week skiing with a load of friends this January in Ellmau, we were wondering what would be a reasonable amount of cash to take for usual spending (food, drink, etc) for a week, excluding ski hire and lift passes. We will mainly be eating in our chalet in the evenings then I expect eating out on the Piste in the day, not particularly mad on the booze either.

Cheers

Hope you have great fun and really enjoy it.

If its a catered chalet then you will be having breakfast and dinner, and possible a huge cake in the afternoon (if your chalet host is kind to you). I love catered chalets because you generally get good food and meet great people (skiiers) and you usually stay up chatting until the early hours (depending on whether the hosts locks the wine away or not), so there is little need or incentive to head out of a night. However the chalet hosts usually have one night off in the week (usually Wednesday), so you will have to go out that night, so budget for what you would like on that night - pizza and chips or a full wheel of raclette, its up to you. One word of warning, the Breakfast on the Thursday will usually be late and not as good as the other days as the host will be a little "delicate".

But during the day, you will probably want a beer or a drink as skiing can be thirsty work and a good lunch and these are generally your main costs, if you are not up for partying every night. So if you assume €15- €20 each a day then that should cover it, but as others have said, bring your bank card along and draw out cash as you need it, its a lot easier than trying to work out how much to bring.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eat ski eat ski drink sauna sleep eat drink sleep.....repeat minimum 7 times, more usually 10 and keep smiling at all times Toofy Grin
snow report
@foxtrotzulu very true Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy