Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spending money whilst skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Off for our first week skiing with a load of friends this January in Ellmau, we were wondering what would be a reasonable amount of cash to take for usual spending (food, drink, etc) for a week, excluding ski hire and lift passes. We will mainly be eating in our chalet in the evenings then I expect eating out on the Piste in the day, not particularly mad on the booze either.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm pretty tight when it comes to skiing and spending cash - mostly because i don't like spending loads of time in resto's and not skiing. So i get something small - usually around 10 - 15 for a lunch big enough to share between Mr Mountain Addiction and me, plus a coffee/crepe mid morning. So, for me/us about 25 euros a day, but rarely spend that. Then, if you want to eat out any nights at least 50 euros pp, depending on how much AND how expensive your appetite / thirst is.

But, that's just me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If I've had a big hotel/chalet breakfast and dinner is in hotel/chalet package I don't usually need to eat at lunchtime, just a coffee or two (though the kids often have a hot dog or similar sized snack on the mountain) so with that and some soft drinks and a beer or glass of wine or two in the hotel me and the 2 girls spend €30-40 on an average day, mostly on the kids.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 6-12-15 15:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I budget for £70 per day but then that covers:

Mid-morning coffee
Lunch
Apres-ski beers
Evening meal (always eat out) with a couple of bottles of wine
A couple of late evening beers before bed

There are four in our ski group and we have a kitty, which gets topped up at 50 euro a time. We usually take turns paying for evening meal separate to the kitty but try to even out the cost each night so we pay round the same.

Sometimes we come in under budget, sometimes its over but not by much.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can be done for as little as £30 per person per week, if very disciplined.

Most people fall in the £100-500 per-week range.

Party heros in Switzerland and elsewhere can burn through £500-5000.

This is a good rough guide:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2897379/As-flakes-descend-European-ski-resorts-prices-slide.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chameleon001, absolutely impossible to advise - we don't know what you like to eat or drink or how much/often. I just spent €330 in Val d'isere this week on lunch, apres and 1 night out and 1 evening meal out (€50). I expected to spend €500 but didn't go out much after dinner.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are from the UK..... how much would you spend on food and drink for lunch?

Similar costs here in Austria.

The higher up the mountain of the more classier the place, so the prices go up.

Bring some cash, if you run out, get some more from the ATM.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's all down to après beer. wink

Lunches etc can be kept to a budget if required, but if you like a drop at après time, the expenditure shoots up.
If I ski with the Wife, we spend more on nice lunches, when I go with the lads, the beer kitty gets a hammering.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mayr wrote:
Bring some cash, if you run out, get some more from the ATM.

This.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I prefer to use my card, that way I remember where I've been ... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Me n wife get through about 50 euros a day, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon chocolate, apres ski wine n beer, .. Its amazing how it disappears
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends on how expensive your tastes are. I can do a week s/c and just buy lunch and a few beers plus essential stuff in resort (like bread, milk & cheese). Can do that for £100 without too much pain.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends on what crew I'm travelling with... generally I budget on €100 a day to cover food and booze, morning to night.
If it comes under that...
BONUS Laughing

@Mountain Addiction, definitely has the right idea though. Just choose what you can afford and live to that budget.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitegold, the daily mail prices are bonkers. Not only do they say that 50cl of wine in Zermatt costs £2.36 (yes two ponds thirty six pence) they also mix up costs per week and costs per item /day. Oh well.

I'd guess that 50cl of wine in most places on the slopes in Zermatt would be more like £23.60.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're asking because you want to know how much currency to take... Consider just taking enough to cover immediate expenses, then withdraw cash from ATMs, as others have suggested. If you get a special purpose card like the Halifax Clarity Mastercard you can actually get a better exchange rate than by taking cash....
Take a look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

If you're asking for some other reason, ignore me!
latest report
Part of the enjoyment of skiing for me is the stopping for things to eat/drink during the day so I always budget enough for that. Usually 2 or three coffees and a lunch stop for a panini comes to about €15 where I go. Some days might have a more substantial meal so a couple of days at €20. Times that by 6 days on the mountain comes to €100. Then add 4 nights of a couple of beers and 2 nights of a few more beers at €4 comes to about €60. Then wine/beer at the hotel during the meal usually comes to about €30-€50. Add that all up and I'd be taking about €200 and hoping to come back with a few euros or to buy a stack of Ritter Sport chocolate to bing back!
snow report
a cheese sandwich and an orange nabbed from the breakfast buffet, small drinks cartons or a bottle from the supermarket, topped up with brandy. I don't spend that much, eat on the go, more time for hooning around.
Very Happy
latest report
I try not to think about how much I spend Very Happy
latest report
If you are self catering you should be able to keep costs down, I never understand why so many people waste time having lunch in an overpriced mountain restaurant, never mind the price/quality we go for the ski ing!

That aside, for the last few years we simply make a sandwich & eat piste side, however the OH does insist on vin chaud stops both pre lunch & after.

Our costs seem to be apres...can be expensive but ultimately the choice is yours, for our family of 3 kids I guess we could easily go through €100/day rolling eyes
ski holidays
If you are HB catered you won't need huge lunches. I reckon €15 max for lunch inc a drink (Grostl, kaiserschmarrn, wurst and chips). If you are like the OH and just have gulaschesuppe and a roll with a drink then you could get away with €10.

Add in a drink stop in the morning and afternoon (we usually do one or the other so we can maximise ski time) prob another €10 max. Iirc a large beer/coke on the mountain was about €3.50-4 when we were in the Skiwelt last year.

Jnr and I love Austrian food, but try and not be too greedy so usually share a main and a pudding so we can have a bit of everything all week!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Same here, just assume you that you will spend a lot of cash, IMO ski ing has got to be one of the most expensive holidays!
snow report
@chameleon001, Never been to Ellmau but presume as with most of Austria there will be self service restaurants where you'll get a decent and plentiful one course carb hit and a large drink for €10-€12pp max.
snow conditions
Quote:

I prefer to use my card, that way I remember where I've been ... Twisted Evil

Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

It's all down to après beer.

This, so:
Quote:

I try not to think about how much I spend

Besides, 3 or 4 beers and a couple of toffee vodkas before dinner and you don't really care Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@robboj, Yep, all over the Skiwelt this is possible. Most restaurants seemed to be self-service, basic food. Not great, but cheap.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Me too. Are you looking for minimum or optimal? I tend to go big on vacation so do a pocketful of cash plus cards. Never know when you may need to party with aussies or whoever (well have to think twice about russians).
snow conditions
Another plus 1 for a cheep day riding.

Have a big breakfast nice and early and before you get kitted up so it has time to settle before hitting the slopes......when the first lifts open. Take a small bottle of water and banana (substitute another piece of fruit to your liking.....I take a banana because they are less bulky)out with you in a pack or like me in a pocket. Stop for coffee about 11.30 and re fill your bottle of water from a restaurant. Stop again for another coffee and a choky bar around 2ish (this is from a mate who has even bigger pockets than me)when the restaurants are getting quieter. Then last stop for a beer when the lifts close.

Low cost day out without paying a fortune for some low quality pasta and ending up feeling like your riding with a rock in your stomach for two hours after lunch.

Oh, and an added bonus is you will come home half a stone lighter than you went away.......being a frugal Yorkshire man has its advantages......but not many.
ski holidays
I think some of the responses are based on eating and drinking in France or Switzerland which in my experience is far more expensive than Austria.

If it helps, expect to pay around €4 for a large beer, about the same for a soup or a plate of chips and between €8 and €12 for a main course (pizza, tiroler grostl). You may pay a bit more on the mountain than in the village but I have found there isn't much difference.

Hope that helps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lauka, Hmm, most of the huts I go to in Ski Amade are waiter service; yes there are a number of self service places but not in the majority where I ski. I woudln't say the prices in self service are any cheaper really
latest report
Cartons of drink in a ruck sack or pockets are the best way to save on the mountain. The rectangular ones that can be squashed flattish with a straw attached. The only problem is gettig them out a pocket, attaching straw and drinking whilst not dropping a glove or a pole of a near vertical chair lift.....
Bars of chocolate are also great in pockets but often show how good your jacket insulation is as they come out like bricks.
ski holidays
@chameleon001, We always reckon that whatever we have in the mountain restaurants in Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Zell/Kaprun comes to €20-€25 for two - e.g. a goulash soup, a grostl and 2 drinks. I know people who grab a cheese roll, choc bar and a bottle of water from the supermarket and have that instead at lunchtime - costs less than €5.

Re using your credit/debit card on the mountain. Most of the mountain huts around here are cash only, so don't assume that you can use your cards.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-12-15 10:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Cartons of drink in a ruck sack or pockets are the best way to save on the mountain.

and/or hip flasks of whiskey!!
ski holidays
Gyro wrote:
Another plus 1 for a cheep day riding.

Have a big breakfast nice and early and before you get kitted up so it has time to settle before hitting the slopes......when the first lifts open. Take a small bottle of water and banana (substitute another piece of fruit to your liking.....I take a banana because they are less bulky)out with you in a pack or like me in a pocket. Stop for coffee about 11.30 and re fill your bottle of water from a restaurant. Stop again for another coffee and a choky bar around 2ish (this is from a mate who has even bigger pockets than me)when the restaurants are getting quieter. Then last stop for a beer when the lifts close.

Low cost day out without paying a fortune for some low quality pasta and ending up feeling like your riding with a rock in your stomach for two hours after lunch.

Oh, and an added bonus is you will come home half a stone lighter than you went away.......being a frugal Yorkshire man has its advantages......but not many.

Good advice and similar to what I occasionally do but there is one important thing missing:

***If you have your banana in your backpack don't start going over kickers or generally falling around a lot or you will have a big mess to clean later***

Please trust me on this. (I am a snowboarder so perhaps people fall differently on ski's - to the side rather onto the back)?
ski holidays
Quote:

to the side rather onto the back

yes, probably. A skier falling backwards is likely to do serious damage to ACLs, in which case a squashed banana would pale into insignificance.
snow report
Skiwelt is definately one of the cheaper options. Best tip for a filling and cheap lunch is Gulashsuppe. Basically a hearty stew pretending to be a soup and comes with a crusty roll (I think it must be a local bylaw, you never get soup without bread). Prices are not much different on the hill or in the villages and most of the huts whether service or self serve are very similar in price. about €10 should do for soup and a drink.
snow report
If you are self catered you can keep costs down.

If you eat breakfast and dinner self catered in the flat that's low cost and what we often do is make sandwiches in the morning and put them snacks and water in a pack. Eating slope side is really rather nice, you can find a spot with the best view and have lunch there. You can also get off the beaten track and have a very quiet and pleasant lunch. Always take a plastic bag with you and take your litter OFF the mountain with you.

I also like stopping at mountain restaurents as well, its a nice part of the mountain experience, and we have a few favourites, so we normally do a hybrid where some days we take sandwiches and then grab a vin chaud/coffee at some point mid afternoon at a restaurent. Combined with the odd day having a lunch out and enjoying it.

We also eat out maybe twice in a week as a treat.

G
snow report
@gordonrussell76, +1 we tend to grab a baguette and a pack of ham from the supermarket and eat in the hill. I only ski 1 week a year these days, so skiing is my priority.
snow report
as said above depends on what you eat and where....
we have found that prices between places ( and in the same place ) can vary enormously ...
a few years back skiing with friends in AlpD'euz a few of the group stopped with the kids for a break on the hill - a round of coffees/hot chocs for 8 plus 2 pizzas (no chips) =120euro !!! . next day at the same place for 2 course lunch for 12, two full rounds of drinks plus some coffees total < 75 euros. needless to say we settled the bill and left quietly.
snow conditions
Quote:

next day at the same place

You went back Puzzled Shocked
latest report
dode wrote:
Quote:

next day at the same place

You went back Puzzled Shocked

Obviously a discount for repeat customers...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy