Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dog Friendly Motorhome Ski Resorts Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi we are travelling across Europe visiting ski resorts from Jan 2016 and will be motorhoming our way around. We plan to stay in 'Aires' and the equivalent in Italy, Switzerland and Austria. We are looking for recommendations of best motorhome stopovers close to ski stations. We will also be travelling with our dog Willow and we are looking for dog friendly resorts where one of us can ski whilst the other one of us dogsits in a dog friendly watering hole slopeside preferably...unless anyone knows of a dog ski school or knows where we can take her skiing with us! Any advice welcome Happy
Jackie

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-12-15 12:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jackie K, welcome to snowHeads.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Jackie,

Close to us we have Camping Eigernordwand at Grindelwald - this one is ski in and out. http://eigernordwand.ch

Also Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen (in the valley below Wengen and Murren).
http://www.camping-jungfrau.ch

Have fun!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowboards.
First place that springs to mind for me is Praz de lys which is between Les Gets and Samoen in the French alps. There is usually a decent sized community of motorhomes there with dedicated facilities right in the heart of the slopes, so skiing from your door is possible I believe.
Also some nice cafés slopside and at least one you can walk up to in snowshoes (you can rent them there). It's not a very well known area from UK but has some really nice skiing all in its own domain, plus many crosscountry routes.
Although we don't have a dog there are usually quite a few out and about there.
Additionally the food is good in all the places we've eaten there at decent cost and the lift passes a reasonable price too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's welcome to snowheads as my spellcheck keeps changing it, first to "nowhere " and then to snowboard which I didn't spot. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much for your replies very helpful indeed Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,
We have skied from our motorhome along with our dog for 6 or 7 weeks a season for the last 10 years. We have stayed almost exclusively in France and have never experienced any problems taking the dog into bars or cafes. It's usually the dog that gets served before we do! Have a look at motorhomeski. It's not been brought up-to-date for a while but the basic information will be largely unchanged. In our experience it is the smaller resorts that are more user friendly for the dog, (and us). Praz de Lys is good, (probably better for the dog at Sommand). Manigod is excellent, as are Alpe du Grand Serre, Les Saisies and all the smaller resorts of the southern French Alps such as Reallon, Ancelle,and St Leger. Beware of investing a lot of time hauling the van up to a resort only to find it does not really suit your needs. We did this on our first year out, drawn to places like Alpe Huez or L2A which whilst having excellent skiing did not really tick the dog and motorhome box. Remember also that the beauty of the van is being able to move on. Unless you are a total fanatic the smaller resorts mentioned will keep most people happy for three or four days at a much lower cost than the big resorts, then move on. Consider also trying snow shoeing as a change from skiing and take the dog with you. If I can help with more specific info on the resorts mentioned let me know and I will do my best.

Ian
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Ian this very helpful. Would be good to pick your brains about this:-)[/url]
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Jackie
We've been taking the dog in the van for the last 5 years and spend Jan and Feb in the Alps. As Ian has said, the smaller resorts tend to be better for walking and hanging out with the dog. You have probably realised that there aren't many aires in Switzerland and especially not in Austria. We have parked up in ski lift carparks of small resorts in Switzerland for the odd night or two without any trouble. Stayed a few nights at a tiny (single 1.5km T bar) ski resort near Gstaad called Gsteid (good campsite type aire) and had a great time as a few locals were taking their dogs up, so we did too. Probably only 10 people on the slopes so perfectly safe, the little bug beat me up and back down again!
Off to the Dolomites in the new year and it looks like many of the villages with sostas have decent walking trails, look for resorts which are big on snowshoeing.

Kev

ps also, it's normally easier to get back to the van for lunch, and to let the dog out, in the smaller resorts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There aren't many free aires near ski resorts. Even the wonderful aire at Les Gets now charges €10 per night, but imho it's still the best. The aire at Les Saisies used to be very good too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all your advice...Sorry not wanting to appear thick but what does imho stand for?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi again,
Don't want to come over as some smart ar** know it all but a bit more info for you to think about. It is true that on a lot of aires you now have to pay a charge to park and almost certainly to use the bourne if one is available. However this will still be considerably cheaper than campsite fees which will probably be in the region of 30 Euros a night. At the smaller, (French) resorts that do not have a specific aire for motorhomes nobody has ever bothered us staying in a corner of the car park. If not using sites you do need to consider how you will keep your batteries charged. The obvious solution and one used by the majority is to use a generator. A good generator is not cheap but do the maths to see how many nights before it pays for itself. You also need to think about gas, water and the loo. As a rough estimate we can manage a week before needing to replenish/empty etc., but this will vary according to individual circumstances.

Ian
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jackie K wrote:
Thanks for all your advice...Sorry not wanting to appear thick but what does imho stand for?

imho = in my humble opinion Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jackie K, A friend has spent a whole season in this campsite in Bourg-St-Maurice. It's very close to the funicular that goes up to Arcs 1600, and from there you can get to all the Paradiski skiing area.
http://www.camping-bourgsaintmaurice.com/en/winter/campsite-winter-caravanning-park-les-arcs
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.seecamp.at/en/
I believe they tolerate dogs
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy