Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New set up input from you guys needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, looking to get a new set up but in a bit of a dilemma, i have been snowboarding for 25 years and can handle most situations, all my boarding life i have used 163 boards, mostly k2 zeppelins and k2 slayblade ( wide), im looking to get a jones flagship 161 with union atlas bindings as my last board, im 6ft weigh 16 stone with size 10 feet, i like challenging pistes and powder, always had a stiff all mountain board usually wide, i guess my point is that if i get the smaller board thats not wide will it still be suitable for the noarding i do as the flagship is a directional board( will the tip of the board male up for the loss of width for floating in powder??, just im getting olddr and would like something a little easier to to turn but still like to charge and fly in powder
Discuss please!!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5 mins to spare so will add some thoughts..
Camber profile has alot to do with float and feel and also if the board has taper or not.
If you are used to riding zep camber and slayblade flat/lifted you like a charger right ?
Others to consider :
Yes PYL
Burton Tough Cat / Flight Attendent / Landlord
Slash Straight
Nitro Black light
Jones mtn twin
Ride UL
Lib TRice

These are the ones spring to mind but also many others.
Mid wide might be the way to go and would help with sz10 boots and 16 stone on it !!
Have a look at other stats like edge tech and waist width before you jump in.
BOL
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers for the input ill measuse my boots to see if i can get away with a regular board, the jones ultra mtn twin may be another choice??, even more confused!!! Lol
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's 100 Kilos. I've not ridden the Zepplin or Slayblade.

The Slayblade seems to be a directional twin.

The Lib TRice is like that. The one I rode felt on the stiff side for powder, but then they are very sensitive to rider weight - there's a reason they sell 9 different models. I only had the chance to ride one, and I would have liked to try the next size down. Those could be well worth a look.

Width.. I don't find myself that "surface area" particularly equates to "float" in powder. So small boards like the Con Artist (which I'm not recommending here) work fine, as do bigger boards like the Landlord. The difference is not "do they work", it's "how they feel". The design approach you like is a personal choice. In resort powder you don't actually need as much "float" anyway, although it's easier to ride if you have it.

Of the boards listed I've ridden the Flight Attendant and the Landlord in the back country quite a lot. The Flight Attendant was perfectly fine but it didn't excite me at all. The Landlord is more like a modern Malolo, so that's nice and slashy in powder and I ended up on one most of last season. They're all very sensitive to size. Personally I'd say that these are both too powdery for a single-quiver board.

People with the Jones stuff seem to like them, and they're very well marketed. You probably would want to try various design approaches, and bear in mind that it may take you a day or so to get used to reverse camber, for example. Personally I didn't find reverse (or flat) cambers hugely interesting in powder. If you do go exotic, I'd try to avoid something which wasn't also sold last season: Burton and others have a history of producing funky base designs which are quickly and quietly buried, presumably because they ride badly.

I'd suggest that you buy a board which is: (a) wide enough for your feet; (b) the correct length for your weight/ ability; (c) that you tried out in comparison to what you have now and other options.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bug it!!! Flagship 162 wide it is
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With size 10 feet you don't need a wide snowboard, I wear size 11's with reduction tech and have no issues with my 253mm waist width capita bsod. A non wide board with modern camber profile will still float well in powder and on piste will be quicker edge to edge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He will need at least the 162W with 16 stone on a deep an light powder day or your going to get worked very hard, you wont handle it well on a 161 std you have no surface area .
Take a snorkel and flippers to get back out .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Flag is big mountain design its not a powder board design but it has a small number of excellent powder design features .
A big mountain board design is nothing like all the others mentioned its far more capable under higher levels of load or speed on steep pitch angles over any snow or changing variable snow cond from great height

Even at zero speed with only your edge on a inpenetratable steep face to hold your ar ss... its design is king .

The other guff can be a hospital stretcher ride in those spooky circumstances but the point is big mountain design is the daddy its not slash lib or burton .
But the rider is key he must be rider fit to flex the stick size an design shape over x hours daily weekly months etc.
The key is personal ride time not sales image.

Its the rider who must handle the board and its flex over say 4-7 hours ,the flag has a new core its more friendly for a wider market this is good news unless you are XDLR JJ Orley etc with legs like the Hermanator and ride for a living .
Another way of putting a Flag choice for 2016 is. In a nut shell its a far more versatile big mountain board with powder abilitys.
The other brds could be defined in another area of the mountain... more often than not that will be lower height, down in recreational package land .

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 6-12-15 15:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers guys for the info!!, when i started boarding 25 years ago you chose the one with the nice graphics!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice thread input, things are looking up round here !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Decision made!!! 162 wide, union atlas bindings, this should do me for a good few years!!!,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy