Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Klosters 16th/17th December - stick or twist?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Zurich for work until 15th Dec, and not flying back home until 18th. I have booked a short trip to Klosters on 16th and 17th Dec. This can be cancelled with a relatively small loss up until Monday (7th), but waiting any longer would mean that I had to pay the full amount.

At the moment the webcams in Klosters look pretty depressing, and the 5-day forecast is mild. There is the suggestion of snow next weekend, but forecasts are fickle that far away.

Should I stick with the pretty amazing deal I've got in Klosters or cancel and book somewhere else? If the latter, where is looking a more sure-thing?

I'm travelling alone, and it needs to be somewhere I can reach easily by train from Zurich.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stick.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stick with it.

Klosters is a classic Swiss snobby chocbox village. It is cool.

If it is still green when you turn up, hire a car and drive 50 miles north to Samnaun, near the Austria border. It has about 100km of runs open to village-level right now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it's a small loss, and you can find alternative accommodation in a higher resort (e.g. Ischgl / Samnaun) for a similar price, might be worth rebooking. Or at least exploring some options. Having said that, Klosters / Davos have a lot of high runs even though Klosters itself is quite low - you could definitely be booked into worse places (like low southern resorts).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 4-12-15 22:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. Ischgl/Samnaun looks brilliant but seems to be a bit of a nightmare to get to by public transport from Zurich. It looks like it would be a lot easier to get to St Anton or Andermatt, but I'm not sure that either really has significantly better snow conditions.

<sigh> the best laid plans of mice and men...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would say Engelberg (from Zurich) or if you do stay around Klosters try to get to Arosa or Flims/Laax. If it's only for two days it not the end of the world is it? Chur is a nice place to wonder for a day and/or you could try to pop over to Liechtenstein.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Andermatt should have good snow on the North facing mountain. The runs from the top (which is quite high) are fun fairly difficult blacks or a more path like red.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zurich to Ischgl by Train & Bus is easy so long as you leave Zurich central on 2:13pm train or earlier. Get off at Landeck, have a sandwich and coffee while you wait for the 4240 bus. Costs around £50.
This train passes through St Anton if you prefer to ski there.
Ischgl has more snow right now though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mayr wrote:
Zurich to Ischgl by Train & Bus is easy so long as you leave Zurich central on 2:13pm train or earlier. Get off at Landeck, have a sandwich and coffee while you wait for the 4240 bus. Costs around £50.
This train passes through St Anton if you prefer to ski there.
Ischgl has more snow right now though.

No chance then; I can't leave Zurich until about 6pm on the Tuesday evening.

I'll take a last look at the forecast on Monday. If it still predicts snow then I'll risk Klosters. If it's looking dicey then I'll make a last minute change to Andermatt.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tccambs, I feel your pain! Engelberg not a bad shout from Millom http://www.engelberg.ch/en/webcams/?no_cache=1

Weather forecasts really really unreliable ten days out..... Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely stick on the basis you have a good deal. Skied there today. Fantastic sunny day and the pistes that are open are in excellent condition thanks to the mountain company. Max temperature was +1C and no deterioration of the snow during the day. Light snow cover over the whole mountain and not just a case of strips of piste across otherwise bare mountain. No off-piste available. Resort as would be expected very quiet. Conditions can only get better between now and when you're due to visit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the basis of the forecast snow disappearing I bailed out and booked Engelberg instead. Worked out slightly more expensive, but not by much, and it means that I can stop fretting!

I don't suppose that anyone is planning to be out there next week? Would be nice to have someone to ski with.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tccambs, Wrap up well its a cold icy resort early season
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As per my post of Sunday based on the there on the ground knowledge you didn't need to change. Klosters would have been fine. It's a linked resort with Davos so you could have skied the Parsenn mountain on one day and the Jakcobshorn on the other. There would have been a better number and variety of slopes and certainly more Brits around as there was on Sunday. Its also much easier and quicker to get on the mountain in Klosters than Engelberg. Temperatures will remain low, so even if there is no new snow the pistes would have certainly held up. One thing they are extremely good at in Davos / Klosters is keeping the pistes in good condition. They've been snow making since early November.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tccambs wrote:

I don't suppose that anyone is planning to be out there next week? Would be nice to have someone to ski with.

tccambs Are your dates 16th and 17th in Engelberg? Might be there on 17th
snow report
@ADH, +1, Engelberg limited skiing...much more opportunity and I really like Davos/ Klosters.....only been once, can't afford to go back!
ski holidays
Touchguru wrote:
tccambs wrote:

Yeah, that's right. Drop me a pm if you're going to make it, and I'll send you my mobile number.
snow report
tccambs wrote:
Touchguru wrote:
tccambs wrote:

Yeah, that's right. Drop me a pm if you're going to make it, and I'll send you my mobile number.

OK - I will confirm closer to the time if I am coming on the 17th or not.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@ADH, +1, Engelberg limited skiing...much more opportunity and I really like Davos/ Klosters.....only been once, can't afford to go back!

Both your suggestions that Klosters is a better choice than Engelberg don't have much basis in fact. In fact Engelberg looks to be a clear winner on current and expected snowfall. It also has the option of the glacier which is fully open even the itinerary that goes down to the main area and the resort run at the bottom.

That's not to say that for a 2 days there was a great need to change locations BUT don't claim Klosters is better for snow as nothing indicates that to be correct!
latest report
@Millom, Erm.....Re-read my posts above, never mentioned it was better for snow! There'd be plenty to keep someone busy in Davos/ Klosters for 2 days wink
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Millom, Erm.....Re-read my posts above, never mentioned it was better for snow! There'd be plenty to keep someone busy in Davos/ Klosters for 2 days wink

So for just skiing you'd be going to Engelberg too Wink!
ski holidays
Puzzled
snow conditions
Touchguru wrote:
tccambs wrote:
Touchguru wrote:
tccambs wrote:

OK - I will confirm closer to the time if I am coming on the 17th or not.

Guess I'm on my own then?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy