Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski waxing

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to decide whether to fork out and buy a hot waxing set-up or continue to use the liquid wax I use each year on my skis and would like some advise. Obviously it's a lot cheaper to stick with the liquid and a lot less messy too, but people say that hot waxing is a superior method and lasts longer. I only skis for 3 days per year so I only need it to last for that amount of time. What are people's thoughts on this? I've tried googling but not getting very far. Any advise welcome, cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 days skiing a year? I'd start by skiing more before worrying about ski waxing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be more concerned to preserve the skis for the remaining 362 days of the year that worrying about the bases while skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wax mostly scrubs off after about 500 metres of skiing.

Save the cash and spend it on more days on the slopes. Three days is barely a warmup.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lol. Yeah I know guys. I used to go for a week each year with the wife, but since 3 kids came along it's the most I can escape for now, I am lucky to be getting 3 days on the slopes believe me!! And grateful too, it may be short, but it sure is mega sweet!! Any about the waxing, yeah probably worrying too much as I normally do. I'll probably just stick with the liquid stuff, haven't had any problems with it in the past. Just what with a new holiday coming up thought I'd review things.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have fun on your trip!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just wrap your clothes iron in a few layers of tin foil... works a treat for me
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never had any problems with waxing 'scrubbing off after 500 meters' ... and I ski A LOT, I wax my skis once or twice a week - more in Spring or if conditions have changed.

I have 3 wax types, Fast Piste, SuperCold, and Spring. Different combos for different conditions - and yes, mixing wax has always worked well for me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're the kind of person who enjoys fiddling with things and getting to know how stuff works etc then I'd buy an iron and various waxes and just mess around with it for fun. It can't hurt but it probably won't make much difference to your skiing (assuming you're recreational level, which you sound like?).

Obviously, I wax mine after each run, and sometimes halfway down.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
northernsoulboy wrote:
If you're the kind of person who enjoys fiddling with things and getting to know how stuff works etc then I'd buy an iron and various waxes and just mess around with it for fun. It can't hurt but it probably won't make much difference to your skiing (assuming you're recreational level, which you sound like?).

After each run! You must be the fastest skier on the mountain! Yeah just recreational for me. When you say it won't make any difference, I assume you mean the different waxes won't make any difference?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@northernsoulboy,
Quote:

Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bendiddley wrote:
northernsoulboy wrote:

After each run! You must be the fastest skier on the mountain! Yeah just recreational for me. When you say it won't make any difference, I assume you mean the different waxes won't make any difference?

bendiddley, ha no, I don't really wax my skis after every run, though I do go skiing with a couple of blokes who wax them every morning in what I believe is nothing more than a massive pose.

Truth be told, I don't wax them at all - I just whack them in for a wax and tune before I go away. Might get them done during the holiday if it's two weeks. Each to his own. (I think edging is more important than waxing, though others will probably think differently.)

Re no diff, I was really just saying that if you're not racing and you're only going for three days, you'll probably get all the fun you need out of them with that luminous green stuff? But proper waxing is easy to do and quite good fun if you're a tinkerer (and the different waxes for different conditions are one of the bits you might get fun from tinkering with).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mozwold wrote:
@northernsoulboy,
Quote:

Very Happy

Should have read: 'Obviously, I wax mine after each run, and sometimes halfway down while I'm waiting for everyone else to catch up with me.'
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
northernsoulboy wrote:
bendiddley wrote:
northernsoulboy wrote:

bendiddley, ha no, I don't really wax my skis after every run, though I do go skiing with a couple of blokes who wax them every morning in what I believe is nothing more than a massive pose.

Truth be told, I don't wax them at all - I just whack them in for a wax and tune before I go away. Might get them done during the holiday if it's two weeks. Each to his own. (I think edging is more important than waxing, though others will probably think differently.)

Re no diff, I was really just saying that if you're not racing and you're only going for three days, you'll probably get all the fun you need out of them with that luminous green stuff? But proper waxing is easy to do and quite good fun if you're a tinkerer (and the different waxes for different conditions are one of the bits you might get fun from tinkering with).

Yeah I do like tinkering! So if I was to go down the hot wax route, what would I need and where do I get it from? I've seen all sorts of different kinds of kits on the internet, some with brushes included, some with just nylon pads, some with cleaners some not, but what is the basic stuff I need? And also when I've got it, where could I learn the easiest, simplest 'get's you down the slope' technique to do it. I've seen a few youtube videos but people seem to use different equipment/techniques ie. some use copper brushes, some use just bristle and nylon, some do a coat of wax to clean the base, some use a cleaning fluid etc etc. different ways of polishing etc etc. Its a head ache trying to work out.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No idea at all chief - as I say, I just stick mine in the shop. They could be putting Lurpak on for all I know.
ski holidays
I don't think it's a case of agreeing and/or disagreeing.

Why else to racing techs measure the temp of the snow to make sure they've put the best wax for the occaison. Wax is very, very important, AS important as edging.

But in saying that, you should also have a base cleaner, that dissolves and removes dirt that is sticking to the base preventing adherance for the next application - but you can do it with hot wax, butt i don't like this method, as i'm wasting my wax.

have you never felt the tug when your skis begin to slow as the wax is wearing/has worn away?

It's all about finding out what works for you. I don't polish mine
latest report
Mountain Addiction wrote:

Why else to racing techs measure the temp of the snow

Racing techs, though. We're talking three recreational days which is a bit different. But, yep, I know what you mean about them slowing down. Personally, as I get older I care less. When I was younger I would try to ski everywhere as quick as I could (and I did wax my skis a lot). Now I'm in my mid 40s, I turn (a lot) more, hence I spose my remark about edges. Anyway, totally agree, it's entirely up to the individual and I would certainly recommend the OP have a crack.
snow report
Imo its not just about speed, skis just behave better all round with less friction.
I get mine done every night.
I like to be the weak link not my gear.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 4-12-15 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@bendiddley,
Quote:

I've seen a few youtube videos but people seem to use different equipment/techniques ie. some use copper brushes, some use just bristle and nylon, some do a coat of wax to clean the base, some use a cleaning fluid etc etc. different ways of polishing etc etc. Its a head ache trying to work out.

Read through Spyderjon's advice on his 'piste office' web site and maybe watch Holmenkol's demo on youtube, then go with what you like the idea of. Frankly I think for most of us mortals a hot 'wax and brush-up' of virtually any description will do a job - there's only one absolute, and that's don't burn your bases
snow report
@northernsoulboy,
Quote:

'Obviously, I wax mine after each run, and sometimes halfway down while I'm waiting for everyone else to catch up with me.'

Yeah, much better Very Happy
snow conditions
Not just about speed, it's about performance. Why am I going to spend money on skis but not look after them properly to get the best out of them... I'm sure people don't do that with their cars...
snow report
mozwold wrote:
@bendiddley,
Quote:

I've seen a few youtube videos but people seem to use different equipment/techniques ie. some use copper brushes, some use just bristle and nylon, some do a coat of wax to clean the base, some use a cleaning fluid etc etc. different ways of polishing etc etc. Its a head ache trying to work out.

Read through Spyderjon's advice on his 'piste office' web site and maybe watch Holmenkol's demo on youtube, then go with what you like the idea of. Frankly I think for most of us mortals a hot 'wax and brush-up' of virtually any description will do a job - there's only one absolute, and that's don't burn your bases

As i've said before.... do what you think and feel works best for you. If i'm happy with doing them the way i do them, that's the way i will keep doing them. People spend so long arguing about the details that they like saying 'but the way i do it is best'. And i'm sure it is... For you. But we're all different, and that's allowed.
snow conditions
And as for expense, I used a travel iron for years. It didn't cost me a penny cos someone gave it to me, and ironing skis was a much better use for it - who wants to waste time ironing clothes on holiday?
snow report
Used to wax my own over the xmas holidays, quite theraputic Blush but i ski twice a year and do about 35 hours a year at the chill factor, so i now get my ski serviced in resort on the first day, at least they should put the correct wax on for the weather conditions that week. .. But ive no idea and dont think id notice the difference any way what ever they put on ..
snow report
Bought an old non steam iron from eBay for £8- has worked well.

You'd need to get yourself an edging tool if you're going to service yourself
snow report
bendiddley wrote:

Yeah I do like tinkering! So if I was to go down the hot wax route, what would I need and where do I get it from? I've seen all sorts of different kinds of kits on the internet, some with brushes included, some with just nylon pads, some with cleaners some not, but what is the basic stuff I need? And also when I've got it, where could I learn the easiest, simplest 'get's you down the slope' technique to do it. I've seen a few youtube videos but people seem to use different equipment/techniques ie. some use copper brushes, some use just bristle and nylon, some do a coat of wax to clean the base, some use a cleaning fluid etc etc. different ways of polishing etc etc. Its a head ache trying to work out.

Just go for a half day course with Spyderjon at http://www.thepisteoffice.com/ as well as learning how to wax and edge your skis (and giving them a good service in the meantime) you'll learn what all the tools are for and which you need. The tuning kits Jon sells aren't the cheapest but they are good professional standard tools that will last forever.
snow report
+1 for Spyderjon's course
snow report
Quote:

Why am I going to spend money on skis but not look after them properly

+1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just done a full pre season wax. Everything is now smooth and slippy from eyebrows to toes... a bit of johnsons baby oil and i'll be slipping faster than silk pyjamas between silk sheets.
snow report
Just don mine last weekend, do them every time we go and a zardoz sometimes in resort if i remember every couple of days. another +1 for Spyderjon, his course is well worth doing and id recommend.
ski holidays
Another +1 for Spyderjon's course, well worth visiting all the way from London (twice)!!! Smile
Once for the tuning course this summer, and the second time (just last week) Spyderjon fitted Quiver Killer inserts to a couple of pairs of my new skis.

Thanks to my newly acquired tuning skills, I serviced them and changed the edge angles at home! snowHead

Jon is very patient and explains everything clearly, thoroughly and in great detail.
The quality of the tools he stocks is also superb.
snow report
Do new skis come waxed? I got some Line SFBs from snow and rock. Bases look nice...
snow conditions
Never known new one not being waxed, wife thought that with her new ones once... Until she was on the snow.. Lol
snow report
@Themasterpiece, Think the answer is usually, though the factory waxing often doesn't last too long once you start using them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy