Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free accommodation in 3 valleys if you have a van !

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking to meet someone with a medium van ( at least ) who could bring my household effects out to me here.

'Here' is Orelle, the not-so-secret, best access to the best side of the 3 valleys ( i.e. Orelle / Val Thorens ) and I am right next to the lift ( 50 meter walk ). The lift will take you from 880 m (here) to 2700 m in 15 minutes. One further chairlift ( fast / 10 minutes ) will take you to Combe de Rosael above Val Thorens. Or take the other Orelle-side chairlifts to the highest point in the 3 valleys - Pointe du Bouchet from where you can ride the 'Tyrolienne' zip-line to Val Thorens.

My stuff is already packed into boxes, none huge or over heavy. They are currently in a friend's lock up on the edge of Cambridge.
I think you would need at least a small size transit or about 3 cubic meters of space. I can be reasonably sure that my friend would help you load up ! At this end, I would ask you to help me off-load.

I can offer you in return a warm bedroom which is about 10 sq meters in my 50 sq meter apartment for nowt ! There is a ski-store 'cave' in the basement and I have a wood burning stove in the living room.

No bills to pay but you would have to pay for your own food. We can shop co-operatively if it works but it might not cos I am 99% vegan at the moment !
I should also say that I work every day starting about 07:30 so I need priority access to the one bathroom we would share in the early morning.

If you need ski hire, I can get you a special rate at the local hire shop.

I would prefer just one person but two, maybe even three would be OK. The room has single beds. I'm thinking for a week but I can be flexible.

Orelle has **no aprés ski** worth speaking of, so it really is a place for those for whom skiing, eating and sleeping is their thing ! The link below implies that there are all kinds of "services" and shops but that is not the reality. There is pretty much nothing after 19:00, most days.

Assuming that you are reading this because you want to ski or board on a shoestring : do tot up the other expenses of this potential trip, the main big things being:

* Ski passes, check them out here : http://www.orelle.net/page-3vallees-ski-resort-orelle-val-thorens
* Food and drink ( but we can easily access 'normal' i.e. not ski-resort price supermarkets and small shops here at 5km and 10km ).
* The cost of your drive - use this site to estimate the cost with all kinds of options. It takes about 9 hours from Calais on motorways or about 13 hours avoiding all tolls : http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes Enter Orelle 73140 as the destination.

Adios!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-12-15 14:58; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Squidfrites, welcome to snowheads. What a great offer. I hope you find someone
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you ! Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So how much does it cost in fuel/crossing /tolls to do a return trip from Cambridge to the 3V in a fully loaded van?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mikeycharlton, plug it all in to http://www.viamichelin.com/ - that's been reasonably accurate for me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wild guess £400. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if it's an economical vehicle....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
if it's an economical vehicle....

So over £500 in a van....?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am seeing about £190 return ferry ( based on 2 passengers in SWB transit / I used 20th Jan out 28th Jan return ).
Plus €176 each way estimated by the Michelin site (this is just Calais to Orelle)

So that makes £445 in total.

Under options you can change fuel type, vehicle type and other things. There is no "van" so I changed it to "Sedan", changed fuel to diesel, said avoid all tolls and favour "highways", then the each way Calais > Orelle dropped to €128

Making £375 in total.

Obviously, you need to play around with it with your options and vehicle.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And did you pack these boxes yourself Sir? Well officer....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Who is paying for the Cambridge to Calais part, the snow chains, European break down cover, potential 2 nights hotel stay, and increase in fuel costs (not sure Sedan equates to fully loaded van)?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
While its a nice offer why don't you ship 3 pallets with a courier, I guess it will cost you £270-£300 and you won't have to put up with others for a week!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
£500-1000 of wear and tear on the van and tolls and snowchains and breakdown cover and insurance and fuel and long driving.

All in exchange for £100-300 of cramped accommodation in a cr*p resort.

Sounds legit.

Where do I sign up?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not to give ideas but whats to stop someone saying "Yes ill take your valuable items for you," load them up to never be seen again? You can get European pallet delivery for less than driving.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah @hotchy, are you insinuating that Snowheads shouldn't be trusted!
ski holidays
cad99uk wrote:
And did you pack these boxes yourself Sir? Well officer....

+1
snow conditions
Quote:

avoid all tolls

it gets better and better.... Laughing
snow report
I have a van - and I like skiing - but it would cost me about an extra £300 in fuel, tolls and ferry fees to take the van rather than the car.
ski holidays
This is just silly! The location for a skier is probably not too bad (access to all the Maurienne valley ski areas if you wanted) but *everything* else offered is terrible and you'd be stuck with a van as your transport and you'll be doing some removals work as well. If the OP was paying all the costs to get there and back and providing the weeks accommodation it would still be a pretty poor option.
snow conditions
In fairness to the OP, you might be tempted if you are a French courier and often travel back from the UK empty, enjoy skiing and live relatively close to Orelle.

I can't see any other scenario whereby the offer becomes appealing though.

Probably better off sticking it on a French courier forum.
ski holidays
Millom wrote:
This is just silly! The location for a skier is probably not too bad (access to all the Maurienne valley ski areas if you wanted) but *everything* else offered is terrible and you'd be stuck with a van as your transport and you'll be doing some removals work as well. If the OP was paying all the costs to get there and back and providing the weeks accommodation it would still be a pretty poor option.

Yeah my thoughts too, was scrolling down and thinking it wasn't too bad an offer until I got to "The cost of your drive". Exeter to Cambridge to VT and back to Exeter, plus lift pass, plus ski hire plus food? I can find a decent half board deal for less than that and it would involve heavy lifting or well over 24 hours of driving.
snow report
mikeycharlton wrote:
Who is paying for the Cambridge to Calais part, the snow chains, European break down cover, potential 2 nights hotel stay, and increase in fuel costs (not sure Sedan equates to fully loaded van)?

No, I reckon that the 'luxury' option is probably closer.
ski holidays
A month would be fairer.
snow conditions
Fairer than a week but still rubbish! Costs in the Maurienne Vallley for SC apartments are not bad at all I looked over the summer for this winter. You could get a week in a good size place (far bigger than your purpose build ski resort type box) for 6 people for about 400 per week. The OP is offering a small room with shared bathroom/kitchen in small apartment (you'd be basically a lodger).
snow report
Quote:

The OP is offering a small room with shared bathroom/kitchen in small apartment

and preferably only for one person.
ski holidays
http://www.deliveriestothealps.co.uk/home might help.
latest report
This is really aimed at someone who has a van and was probably going to come skiing in it anyway - it does happen. In addition to that, I just pitched the offer, which is what it is, without doing sums to assess its viability for everyone.

Really, if you think it's a "crap resort" or if you don't like it for whatever other reason, then it very obviously isn't for you.

I am wide open to negotiations to anyone for whom it does work, particularly the length of stay or any other details. If it works for nobody, then that's fine.

@ Charliee I thank-you for your suggestion, it certainly is worth thinking about.
@ Hell's Bells Thank you also
snow conditions
Id be up for it but would probably have to group it with a couple of others who want alpine deliveries and get them to pay the transport costs. I'd do the driving for nothing but would get free transport and accomodation. I'd really want to do it with someone else in the van to share driving and do tolls etc.

I've got a LWB, hi top van so quitea bit of space. I'll start a thread - anyone want stuff moving down to the Alps?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just done some calcs on getting the van to the Alps and back. I reckon about £800 including ferry, fuel and tolls.
ski holidays
Squidfrites wrote:
This is really aimed at someone who has a van and was probably going to come skiing in it anyway - it does happen. In addition to that, I just pitched the offer, which is what it is, without doing sums to assess its viability for everyone.

That's fair enough, and well explained, but I still think it's a bit cheeky asking people to lug your stuff down from Cambridge for the price of a place to sleep for a week. The idea did turn my head a bit as I have access to a van, but the actual cost (by the time you factor in ferry, fuel & wear) comes out at very similar to a package deal so it's a bit too much outlay for me...does get me wondering if it's a viable racket though, driving people's crap to the alps for beer tokens snowHead
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

avoid all trolls

it gets better and better.... Laughing

Fixed that for ya 😀😀😀😀
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy