Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Daily Mail Ski Show - rumours fly

Poster: A snowHead
The London ski show - which was effectively founded by the Daily Mail and has been sponsored by the newspaper since the early 1970s - is rumoured (this is unconfirmed ski trade gossip) to be on the move.

A change of venue and change of sponsor may occur.

There is also speculation that a second ski show may spring up in competition to the main show, at a significant new location. Another possibility is one new show under new management.

Certainly, the mood on snowHeads has been for change. The show probably peaked - in terms of location, size, popularity and excitement - over 20 years ago when Earls Court was the venue. The show began in the humble origins of the Royal Horticultural Society New Hall, near Victoria.

Any thoughts of what we - the paying public - would like to see?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, I seem to remember hearing these rumours before, particularly when they changed it from 10 days to 5. It wouldn't surprise me if it did move and change sponsors - and I'd suspect it would be one of the travel firms that would take over.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, I can't say that I'm suprised, last years was just about the worse I've seen.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith,

last i heard was that the show was to taken over in the next couple of years by John Cooper (the guy that runs B'ham + manchester shows), part of the deal when he took over those shows was that he stayed out of london until a certain date (not sure of the date)

did meet with an x employee of the DM show who had heard of chages afoot but could not say more????

best thing they could do is scrap it and do a 3 day show somewher like they do for the others,

a couple of retailer friends of mine will not be returning next year as stand cost was so expensive it was not worth there while, whilst i respect what S+R & EB do at the show, why would anyone want to pay £12 to get in, £20+ to park if you take the car just to buy the same stuff that you can get in their high street stores or to book a holiday which is cheaper to book online
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

There is also speculation that a second ski show may spring up in competition to the main show, at a significant new location. Another possibility is one new show under new management.

the last thing anyone needs. I well remember the total disaster of the rival London show in '99 at Planit 2000... a sort of huge leaking marquee on an old bomb site north of Liverpool Street Station. Lots of stands, no punters. Who needs it?

Shows generally are not what they used to be and many never get off the ground - Daily Mail have just cancelled their adventure show at Olympia for example due to lack of stand space being sold.

A ski show now would need a total rethink along the lines of MPH05 but it is hard to see how that could be done commercially.

I understand that the only reason Brighams go to the London show is because S+R are there and vice versa. It only takes one of thoise to pull out and the whole shebang will fall... probably why they are already looking for a name change to protect the Daily Mail image. Birmingham is probably the best show we have.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Shows generally are not what they used to be

Doubly true of the Daily Mail Ski Show. At its peak, under the management of Peter Anslow (I think I've got the name right), it had a quite brilliant central show of aerial and ballet skiing, choreographed to big music, with laser and light effects, etc. etc. All done on Dendix, a big moving carpet ski deck, trampolines etc.

From memory, these spectaculars were at their best in the 1980s.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
perhaps the days of these types of shows - ski, new homes shows, have now gone. At one time, the 1980s skiing was coming more in the mainstram with the advent of cheaper holidays and the idea of a ski show was perhaps a novelty. Times have changed. It seems now to be passe, and the format has not changed for a long time. People can purchase all these things not only from shops but the internet and it is frankly madness to be charging an entry fee of £20 or whatever it is for the opportunity to purchase some ski-gear in the 21st century.

The whole concept of ski shows needs a revamping if it is to survive. There should be more interesting events and not just lots of stalls to buy things. Why not have film shows( free screenings of the latest Warren Miller movies ) and talks about ski products and ski areas in the alps and further afield. This is an idea that property shows at the Excel center in Stratford uses successfully.

The organisers are guilty of a lack of imagination in the marketing process.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Called the Ski Fantasia, it starred such great pioneering British "doggers" as Mike Nemesvary, Robin Wallace and Mike Whealey.
I agree that the internet may eventually kill off exhibitions, as it will kill off magazines and newspapers. I can see only three reasons for people continuing to go to a ski and snowboard show - 1. To see, live, athletes performing at a high level. 2. To speak, face to face, with people who have actually been there and done that, ie. who have detailed knowledge of a certain destination that transcends what is available online. 3. To provide a social gathering for ski bums and trainee instructors, of which there are more and more each year.
John Cooper's deal was to stay out of London for 5 years after taking over B'ham; I believe that has now expired. Whether he would want to go up against DMG in London, in a declining market, is questionable though.
As I no longer spend much time in Harrow, I am not privy to DMG rumours; perhaps if I were them I would be looking at some kind of outdoor spectacular (like the Red Bull event last November). But being Britain you'd have to have some kind of indoor back-up for wet weather...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hibernia, very true, demographics dictate that the ski industry will be closely linked to resort real estate for the next 20 years.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:
... The show began in the humble origins of the Royal Horticultural Society New Hall, near Victoria.

Wow! I remember attending motorbike shows there donkeys' years ago! Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Embarassed Embarassed

Humble apologies to PG for a totally snow-unrelated post. Off to find my hairshirt now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Bell,
Quote:

internet may eventually kill off exhibitions, as it will kill off magazines and newspapers

Think it's already killed off the paid-for mags. Free ones will still work if they are distributed in the right environment and are of good quality... like Ski POress in north America, Snow over here.

Shows depend almost entirely now on the stand revenues coming from a handful of exhibitors - 2 big retailers and some national tourist offices. If just a few of those decide that there are better ways of spending their marketing bucks (and there are) then I reckon shows could disappear almost over night. They are 10 years past their sell-by date anyway.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hopefully if London goes (and lets face it the show hasn't been the same since the demise of the C&A fashion Show and the all in one ski suit!)
Southampton Ski show will be re-born. Hoorah!
I met that Martin Bell there once, you know the one that ski's not the white suit one! wink He was flogging some resort's in the States .........or was it Graham?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 10-01-06 18:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

hasn't been the same since the demise of the C&A fashion Show

"C&A, C&A, C&A, C&A" to the tune of Ski Sunday. I've still got it on my I-Pod. Wonderful stuff. And Comedy routines on trampolines - another class act.

Quote:

Southampton Ski show

The show that put the Spit into Calshot? No thanks.

Die shows die!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

demographics dictate that the ski industry will be closely linked to resort real estate for the next 20 years

Scary for the industry - to buy a second property most people need to be in or approaching their 50s... just the time they are thinking of giving up the sport. Interestingly, the ski show has never really had stands promoting chalet / apartment ownership. A ski property show might work on a smaller scale, done regionally.
ski holidays
JohnHill, Oh really, I'm in my fifth decade of skiing and I'm looking forward to getting my free residents ski pass, you have to be over 75 to qualify, according to the caisse they hand out quite a few.
snow report
My father is hoping to ski at 100 as well
latest report
JohnHill,
Quote:

Daily Mail have just cancelled their adventure show at Olympia for example due to lack of stand space being sold.

Is that the Daily Mail or Daily Telegraph Adventure show, I don't know about the Daily Mail adventure show!!!!
snow conditions
Quote:

Scary for the industry - to buy a second property most people need to be in or approaching their 50s... just the time they are thinking of giving up

Sweeping generalisation I can think of 3 snowheads that certainly own a 2nd property but Deffinitely are NOT approaching their 50's!!!! Very Happy
latest report
boredsurfin, I'm impressed, what a huge sample size. Actually, getting technical, anyone who's not yet 50 is approaching their 50s. Without employing a forensic accountant, I can assure you that majority of foreign holiday home sales are to 40+ and 50 plus makes up the biggest proportion by miles. Might be younger in ski areas but still, long term, if Martin is right, it'll be a problem for resorts unless they successfully diversify into golf, boredom etc etc.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, I wasn't talking about you in particular. It's just a fact that skiers start to drop off from 50 on. I want to still be cranking out some turns at 95 too.
snow report
JohnHill, I've met a 'huge' number of skiers (since 3 is 'huge' Wink - Edit: correction, I've just remembered another one, so that must then be 'humungous') who've taken early retirement in their 50s and now spend all winter, every winter skiing. Sounds from that like targetting the 50-somethings may actually be good for the industry snowHead snowHead Wink .
snow report
thw demogrophic stats point out that the population is getting older on average; fewer children and baby boomers are retiring, with fewer younger people replacing them - the last problem is being be taken up by immigration ( as is currently happening in Ireland with net immigation from eastern europe to fuel a booming economy ) to fill the jobs otherwise the economy will suffer :

national statistics

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 10-01-06 22:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
JohnHill,
Quote:

boredsurfin, I'm impressed, what a huge sample size

Just following 'You Gov's' lead on sample size Toofy Grin !
latest report
John Hill said
Quote:

I can assure you that majority of foreign holiday home sales are to 40+ and 50 plus

Slightly younger than the Aston Martin and Ferrari owners club's age profile NehNeh
snow report
JohnHill, no problem, my sons sometimes can't believe that I can keep up with them, sometimes I can't believe it myself.
ski holidays
GrahamN, yep, I know plenty too and I would expect 50+ Snowheads to be thinking of cranking out their last turn at 94 or something. Fact is, the strictly recreational end of the market do dramatically tail off after 50. All it takes is a semi-serious injury or a partner who decides to stop or a new found love of golf in warmer climes or whatever. Martin Bell was really referring to the demographic time bomb that resorts have known about and have been dreading for years. Just about the only saviour on the horizon is the hope that younger people become affluent enough to fill resorts.

David@traxvax, YOU ARE NOT THE NORM (I wrote that in caps so you could read it easier). The future will be more about people taking a winter holiday rather than a ski trip.
snow report
Annehillskiing, Outdoor Show or something. They do one at the NEC in March as well. Olympia was meant to be this month. Good on your Dad, I met an 86 year old Austrian racer on a race camp once... he had all the gear, helmet, Austria Power Team cat suit, bent poles, race planks and was no slouch (World age group champion).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, Getting back to the original thread, why don't you call them and ask for a comment?
snow conditions
Perfectly fair 'journalistic question'. There is, of course, nothing to stop the DM being tipped off about this thread (if they've not discovered neigeTetes yet) and commenting in their own exact words.

It's not often that I'd post rumour-based material on this site, but it came from someone I've known in the ski business since the days of Jurassic Piste and it had the ring of authenticity to it.
latest report
David Goldsmith,

Quote:

why don't you call them and ask for a comment?

come on, you've had all morning.
ski holidays
Stop it, HillBilly
snow conditions
JohnHill, thank you for your consideration but I don't need presription spectacles yet. It's a frightening thought but David Goldsmith has been skiing longer than I have. He can still remember leather boots, ski leashes and wooden skis, mind you so can I.
snow report
The Daily Mail Ski Show began just as plastic boots (generally plastic-coated leather) were starting to replace all-leather boots. There was the famous Raichle 'Red Hot' fibreglass boot, at around the time. And the early Lange plastic boots. Ski brakes hadn't appeared.

I think the Daily Mail had gone tabloid by then.

And I was in an outside toilet, lit by a gas lamp, reading it.
ski holidays
[quote="David Goldsmith"

And I was in an outside toilet, lit by a gas lamp, reading it.[/quote]

Glad to hear that you read the DT wink
latest report
Only the ski articles
snow report
JohnHill wrote:
Martin Bell,
Quote:

internet may eventually kill off exhibitions, as it will kill off magazines and newspapers

Think it's already killed off the paid-for mags. Free ones will still work if they are distributed in the right environment and are of good quality... like Ski POress in north America, Snow over here.

Shows depend almost entirely now on the stand revenues coming from a handful of exhibitors - 2 big retailers and some national tourist offices. If just a few of those decide that there are better ways of spending their marketing bucks (and there are) then I reckon shows could disappear almost over night. They are 10 years past their sell-by date anyway.

& not forgetting Dark Summer of course possibly the best freebie of them all.

I agree that there's nothing at a show I can't get over the t'internet and indeed know more about some places then their own marketing staff - some of the Colorado reps were woefully ignorant about developments at their own resorts last year e.g the new chair at Breck (guess I spend too much time on ski websites)
latest report
David@traxvax, and so can I. Sorry, AND SO CAN I
snow conditions
So that's three of us who used to be into leather. For me, I guess it reached a highpoint in my pubescent years.
latest report
ah! the snowHeads veterans division recalling old times............................. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy