Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine Touring Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Time to replace the old Nordica GP 130's and like the look of these Alpine style boots with walk mode and tech inserts. Never really got on with dedicated touring boots (Garmont Endorphin - soft, Dynafit Titan - ballache to get into) and not overly bothered about the weight.

Any recommendations out there that would work for a widish foot (100m+ last)?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been very happy with Technica Cochise Pro Lights (and Cochise 120 before that). The Pro Light skis just as well as the 120 but is noticeably lighter when bootpacking etc.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 1-12-15 22:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @clarky999.

Also looking for a boot fitter recommendation in or near Verbier
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've also got wide feet, and I've had Atomic Waymaker Tour boots for a couple of years, which also have high instep. If you need something stiffer, there are Waymaker Carbon models that take the same swap-able tech soles.

Alternatively the Scarpa Freedom SL and stiffer Scarpa Freedom RS get very good reviews.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, The Salomon MTNs are getting well reviewed and I think they have a Salomon alpine type last so if that is the case and you liked your Nordicas, they may fit well (I moved from Nordicas with I believe the same last as your GPs to Salomon boots).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, The Salomon MTNs are getting well reviewed and I think they have a Salomon alpine type last so if that is the case and you liked your Nordicas, they may fit well (I moved from Nordicas with I believe the same last as your GPs to Salomon boots).

Thanks. My current boots are actually the red Speedmachine 130's. Green Grand Prix before that. Love the boots but they're literally falling apart so finding a similar fit with modern tech would be great
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, your Speedmachines will have a wider last than my Doberman 150s (which I believe used the GP last) and I went straight into Salomon Labs with not too much stretching. I suspect the MTNs will have "wider" lasts being more comfort oriented Happy - you will want to check compatibility with alpine bindings... of which I am unsure.

Near Verbier? You might as well drive over and see Steve or Seb at Sole in Cham.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are driving to Cham its worth popping into Sanglard Sports (on the left as you arrive at the roundabout in Cham) and speak to Jules. Very knowledgeable and wont give you the BS you get from some others. Might be best to phone ahead and make an appointment if you are wanting to buy boots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, @Freshtrax, thanks. Have used both Jules and Steve before with good results but most of my skiing in Verbier this year (and no plans to go to Cham - GM queues did my head in) so ideally looking to find a fitter there to avoid the faff of going to Cham for adjustments
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, fair point. No idea re fitters local to you I'm afraid...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I was in the area the stock recommendation was Mountain Air. They did some work on my Axons that I was very happy with but I have no experience of what they are like for a full fitting.

Having come from a 09/10 Speedmachine, I am now in a Scarpa Freedom SL. I am very happy with them but am less aggressive and I think probably slightly lighter than @BobinCH.

Fit wise, they are tighter over the instep than the Speedmachine and the heel/ankle is on the large side. I have put some L strips under and around the ankle bone on both sides of the liner and this has dealt with the bulk of the issue. The cuff is also slightly tipped outwards and I am running the cuff adjustment at full negative. if you are sensitive to such things then that might be a problem. Sole swapping is fast and easy and the forward lean adjustment is also helpful. I have enormous calves and run the boot at 10 deg forward lean the whole time.

In terms of how they ski, they are not quite a full alpine boot but they are pretty close. Some people complain about how pebax flexes but I cannot really tell the difference. I genuinely don't need them to be any stiffer - either laterally, where they are very stiff or fore/aft where they are pretty stiff. Probably about 110 fore/aft - I think they are softer than the advertised 120. But then I will get 4 days this year and am not an aggressive skier so what do I know?

I have no direct experience but the MTN Lab is being written up as having a genuine 98mm last. The Speedmachine was 100mm and felt like it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have also been recommended Mountain Air in Verbier. I have not used them myself but I hear they know what they are doing. I did try another shop in the centre of Verbier where they actually scanned my foot which was quite impressive. They then let themselves down by trying to sell me a boot that was too wide (the boot fitter didn't realise the boot came in 2 different widths, derrrr). I then was not confident to part with my hard earned with them.
Driving to Cham is a faff just to have boots adjusted, but if you know the guys get good results then its worth it. I bought a pair or Salomon Quest Max 130's last winter from Jules and they are amazing, very tight but amazing. I have never needed to go back for adjustments.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 2-12-15 13:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dynafit Mercurys - bought mine 2 seasons ago, fantastic boots. Worth a look@BobinCH,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can second that, I also have a pair of these.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Time to replace the old Nordica GP 130's and like the look of these Alpine style boots with walk mode and tech inserts. Never really got on with dedicated touring boots (Garmont Endorphin - soft, Dynafit Titan - ballache to get into) and not overly bothered about the weight.

Any recommendations out there that would work for a widish foot (100m+ last)?

Technica Cochise series or the Lange XT ?

I also have wide feet - currently use the "Technica Cochise 120 flex light" as touring specific boot.
Really pleased with them - they also have burlier freeride models in the line up.
Getting correct foot beds is half the battle for wide feet.

In my experience Chamonix seems to have better shops than Verbier for kit / boot fitting ? plus you pay in euros rather than CHF....
When I lived there Number 1 sports was one of the best ski shops in Verbier.

Keep posting the TRs Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 2-12-15 18:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hey @BobinCH, i used a pair of Tecnica Cochise Pro 130s on and off last year with some Intuition Pro Tour liners. Ski really well, swappable soles (though only used the 'alpine' soles as have other set-ups for pins). Would highly recommed if they fit.
snow report
@offpisteskiing, if you have anymore feedback about the Intuition's I'd be very interested to here it. The liners in my Cochises are pretty knackered and I've been debating which of Intuition's liners would be the best replacement...
latest report
@clarky999, I put Pro Tours in my Cochise and also another set into Mercurys (high volume in the Cochise and a lower volume one in the Mercury if memory serves). They totally revolutionised the feel of the Mercurys... (and were very good in the Cochise). Haven't used any of their other liners ( was on Palaus generally in the past if not using stock liners).
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, thanks! Did you find the tour to flex differently (stiffer/softer) than the Cochise stock liner?
latest report
Marginally stiffer than the stock Cochise inner (but memory is a bit hazy on that...).
snow report
@offpisteskiing, perfect, thanks.
ski holidays
I am also looking for something similar...
I have a wide foot and a large calf. There are many tech boots that I cant even get my foot in.
I tried the Atomic Wayback last season but found it way too soft a flex. The edge control I expect was not there. I have been using a race type boot for years and much prefer a close fitting liner and stiff flex.
I need a tech boot that is for some uphill and can ski like a performance boot downhill, it needs to handle hard charging
Any ideas?
latest report
@Downhill Sailor, Andy at Solutions4Feet put me in a Scott Cosmos II. Love love love it! Only used in a dome so far though - but can't wait to get them out on an actual mountain. My request was for a tech boot, fairly stiff, suitable for regular day tours, but good enough downhill most of the time.

BUT the key thing was - it was a very good fit for me Smile The other close option was the womens version of the Technica Cochise, which I would have liked for the swappable plates, but the Cosmos was just the better fit (some issues with heel retention for me with the Cochise).
ski holidays
I tried the Scott Cosmos but it was softer than the Atomic that I ended up with so not for me.

I have read that the Technica Cochise may work, or the Black Diamond Factor MX. They have the flex I am looking for and a good toe box, unfortunately I do not know if they are compatible with a large calf.
Anyone know these boots?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, if you are still looking - i've used surefoot in verbier a few times and they are very good - be sure to book an appointment though, they get v busy during the season at the weekends as you'd expect.
snow report
In Verbier, go to Mountain Air, both bootfitters, Nick and Tony, are very good. You will probably need an appointment, though it's still very early season so can be less busy.
snow report
Scarpa freedom sl , 120 flex, intuition liners. Replaceable sole tek or piste.
latest report
Thanks all for the feedback and recommendations
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i too have wide feet and narrowed my search down to technica cochise and salomon quest pro 130, ended up in the salomons , but the technica seemed to be very well though of
snow conditions
I don't want to speak ill of those unable to immediately unable to defend themselves, but I have heard many stories of Surefoot pushing their own product when not necessarily the best...
snow report
+1 for Salomon quest pro 130
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, as you have skied both can you describe the main differences in skiability between the Mercurys (I understand same as Vulcan's) and the Cochise?
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Greg Mariethoz at Mariethoz Sports in Nendaz did some adjustment work and footbeds for me a few years ago and fitted a friend. Good fitter (and I've seen a fair few over the years wink ) and thoroughly decent chap.
snow conditions
In the end went to Sole Boot Lab and Steve sorted me out with some KT Pinnacle 130's. Looks and feels like an Alpine Boot with walk mode and Tech inserts. Cochise a few grams lighter but wasn't a great fit to my feet and advised that Salomon MTN Labs / Vulcan more touring oriented and a bit lightweight for driving bigger skis
latest report
@BobinCH, jealous.

snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
New boots work snowHead

ski holidays
@BobinCH, nice, but did you land it? wink
latest report
@BobinCH, nice, but did you land it? wink
snow report
@BobinCH, only just saw your question above... Was out skiing on Monday and climbing today.
Too late anyway as you are sorted now but in a nutshell Cochise feels more or less like an alpine boot, Mercury/Vulcan feels like a beefy touring boot...
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, interested in your comment regards Mercury being a beefy touring boot. I wear these, and really like them.....why "beefy"?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy