Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 week from 26th December 2015 Les Arc

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
2 of us hoping to get away for 1 week, from 26 or 27 December. We're mainly piste skiiers.

We haven't decided which resort yet, but game to try anywhere, as long as skiing is from doorstep (lazy, we are). Going to keep an eye out for where snow is best and book last minute, if any places are available! Is anyone interested in meeting up?

We're also skiing in Flaine for 1 week from 23rd January with daughter and snowboarding boyfriend and another couple of friends (already booked). Would like to know whether anyone interested in joining us then too. Also hoping for 1 week in Arabba, since we can't go on the snowheads do there earlier, from 12.3.16 ( not yet booked), with at least one other couple. Everyone who skis with us is better than we are! But we're lovely company, haha Happy

Happy skiing! Hope everyone is well.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-12-15 0:57; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AiChoo, do not leave it too late. New Year week sells out quite quickly. You may be wise to start looking for what is still available now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have waited til now then wait until the prices drop more and make sure there is snow before booking. No value in booking that week today in my view.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Millom, Yes I agree. We used to be tied into school holidays and had to get our "fix" at peak weeks, but found that others had booked last minute and got the same hotel, but paid half the price! They booked 3 days prior to flying. This happened several times.

Anyway, we can always do something else if there is no availability and already have other alternative dates.

Are you going to be skiing that week beginning 26/27th December? Where will you be?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a week in Alpe d'Huez at Christmas which may not be great snow as things are going but I only paid £209 HB inc. local flights and transfers so if I get a few good days I'll be happy. New Year hadn't really gone down in price (at least not to something reasonable) when I booked the other day. Wait for the hot spell to set in (seems as though it'll last until around 14th Dec at the moment) and book something for NY when everyone discounts just before Christmas week as there'll be the gloom and doom stories by then and the greedy TO and owners will need to discount to get the bookings Smile!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you could do the week before (xmas) then Ski Olympic have a chalet package in La Rosiere for £195. Think you'd have to be quick though because I doubt it'll be there long at that price. Just booked it myself.

https://www.skiolympic.com/13th-dec-l195pp
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure the 13th is a great buy but they also say the 20th at the same price so that would be a good price for Christmas week. Also La Rosiere done ok with the early snow. There may be +35 for Manchester rather than Gatwick but unclear for late deals. Also not clear if supplement for singles.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was the xmas week I was refering to (the link had both) but it's gone up now to £345 (still not a bad price). I knew it wouldn't last long at that price (suspected someone had hit the wong key it was that good). It was +£35 from Manchester and +£29 for ski carriage but still a cracking deal for chalet board... about 1/2 what I'd seen elsewhere for decent chalets.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok at 345/380 but nothing special. Nice to have a hot tub, bedroom looks ok, lounge looks very small.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Millom, where do you get your bargains from?
@adithorp, Hi Adrian! Not tempted for 26.12? You got a good deal @ £195!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I paid £209 from Birmingham for Christmas week Half Board Chalet Hotel (basic) in Aple d'Huez with Crystal just the other day. I've booked with Crystal before and they are probably the cheapest TO. Alternatively I have booked late deals like the one above via catered chalet companies such as SkiBeat who always used to heavily discount and remove single supplement about 1-2 weeks before travel. Did one in Les Arcs/La Plagne in January a few years ago which was also very good value but can't recall the company. It's just a case of searching if you are booking late. I've also booked flights and accommodation myself which always comes out cheap if you plan carefully. If you're a large group booking self catering makes for a cheap holiday but best to book early in this case. Important to note that I also have no pre-conceived ideas about resorts and my primary interest is the skiing not the accommodation, food, bars, restaurants, etc. I've visited quite a lot of places well off the radar of many British skiers and British TOs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Millom,
Thanks. Very interesting.

Where have you been, "off the radar?" Any recommended resorts?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AiChoo wrote:
@Millom, where do you get your bargains from?
@adithorp, Hi Adrian! Not tempted for 26.12? You got a good deal @ £195!

Prefer to miss christmas and it's cheaper (even last min) and often there are very few NewYear deals to be had.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister wrote:
Millom,
Thanks. Very interesting.

Where have you been, "off the radar?" Any recommended resorts?

A few of these will be with British TOs but most not and a lot will be unknown to most UK skiers. How many do you know about or have skied?

Shouldn't be off the radar but are kind-of:

Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis
Laax/Flims
Andermatt/Sedrun
Arosa/Lenzerheide
Zillertal Arena
Kals/Matrei
Hochkonig
Monterosa
Les 7 Laux
Villard de Lans
Pra Loup/Allos

I would try to visit the ski areas listed above as they all offer something sizable and interesting.

Other lesser known resorts include (some very small):

Nauders
Hochzeiger
Pitztal
Kaunertal
Rifflsee
Oetz/Kuthai
Seefeld
Axamer Lizum
Patscherkofel
Mutters
Glungezer
Nordkette
Oberperfuss
Fuegen
Kaltenbach
Hintertux
Walchsee
Koessen
Waidring
Pillersee
Fieberbrunn
Lofer
Obertilliach
Sillian
Reith
Merano
Andalo
Pejo
Folgaria
Cavalese
Latemar
Carezza
Vigo di Fassa
Moena
Falcade
Le Grand Bornand
Les Contamines
Le Semnoz
Puy St Vincent
Pelvoux
Les Orres
Auron
Le Seignus
Valberg
Sierra Nevada
Thollon
Praz de Lys
St Jean d'Aulps
Fendels
Landeck Zams
Galtur
Kappl
See
Ehrwald
Biberwier
Lermoos
Nesselwaengen
Gran
Tannheim
Schattwald
Steinach
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Millom, how did you get to Pra Loup?

I've seen some cracking snowtrex deals for there, but cheap (shared) transfers seem hard to find. Looks like it's a good 3 hours from the nearest airport.
snow report
Came from the Nice direction via Val d'Allos on public transport (train/bus) but as you say probably best accessed with a car in either direction. The route North South is only open to the West of there, all the other roads closed in winter. I actually had a problem getting across for my accommodation in Pra Loup because some connecting lifts were shut. Having been delayed a couple of days I ended up skiing as far as I could to around the mid point (middle of nowhere) and then getting a taxi (pre booked) along a narrow road that had rock falls/difficult snow for a few days. No-one else in sight but ended up being ok.
latest report
The Pra Loup side is definitely the less interesting by the way. There is a nice separated area near Allos (accessed by ski bus) and then the main linked area.
snow report
@AiChoo, do you mean 26/27 December 2015?
snow conditions
In terms of transfers to Pra Loup I think you can get something from the Marseille direction (airport/city) which drops at a few ski areas around there. Can't recall the precise details and not done it but there should be some brochures floating around the internet somewhere.
latest report
Millom wrote:
In terms of transfers to Pra Loup I think you can get something from the Marseille direction (airport/city) which drops at a few ski areas around there. Can't recall the precise details and not done it but there should be some brochures floating around the internet somewhere.

4 hour bus transfer from Marseille - 35euro for a return. Cheap but a bit of a trek http://www.praloup.com/GB/#GB/access-winter/snow-shuttles-winter

Link for the Grenoble shuttle doesn't work, but it's a similar distance to the resort.
ski holidays
@pam w, yes, we're now booking. Les Deux Alpes with Ski Crystal. Can't wait any more. Jittery in case we miss going altogether. That laissez faire attitude earlier (about whether we go or not) has flown out of the window! Blush
snow report
Les Deux Alpes should be a good choice, with the ongoing mild weather predicted. snowHead
ski holidays
@AiChoo, If I'm not too late, L2A at New Year is to be avoided at all costs.

It gets invaded by Italians intent on drunken violence (seriously)
ski holidays
@red 27, what ? Really ? Haven't booked yet. So will keep looking, thank you. But the hotel at the foot of the lifts looked so convenient. We've skiied in L2A before and enjoyed it, other than the icy black runs to the resort!
snow report
@AiChoo, send a Personal Message (see top right) to Claude B who knows LDA very well and has an apartment there. Possibly a more balanced view. wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@AiChoo, do you mean 26/27 December 2015?

Pam - how do I change the topic subject to 2015, instead of 2016 ?
snow conditions
go back to your original post and change the title.

If you add "Deux Alpes?" it'll attract attention from people who know the resort well - I've skied there a few times but never at New Year (I never ski anywhere at NY, even where my apartment is Twisted Evil )
latest report
@pam w, it worked! I never noticed the edit button before, thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've been to LDA quite a few times at Xmas/New Year and never had our hols spoilt by anyone else.... New year in Les Arcs was noisier by far.... And anywhere on NY eve in an apartment block can be noisy!!
snow conditions
Finally booked at Les Arc 1600. Very excited! I don't understand how some people have the nerve to wait until a few days before flying! If anyone is going to be there w/c 26th December, would be great to meet up Happy
snow report
@AiChoo, Where are you staying in Arc1600? We are leaving on the 26th
snow report
@johnE, we're in Hotel La Cachette, with Ski Crystal, also leaving 26th December (Gatwick). How about you ?
snow report
Hi everyone, new to the forum so excuse the incompetence, is anyoen booked to be in Les Deux Alpes from the 26/27th onwards? I've got a solo trip booked there but would love to meet up with anyone...
latest report
@mikerg, I suggest you post your message on one of the Deux Alpes threads - there'll probably be somebody there who would be happy to meet up.
snow report
If only we'd waited...our nerves could not hold out. Our hotel (same week) has been reduced to £351pp today.@pam w, How did you know the weather was going to turn mild? Which weather forecast website do you use?

Never mind, I'm sure it will be fun anyway, whether we're skiing or walking or water skiing!
snow report
@AiChoo, it will be fine.
latest report
It was fine, actually. Once we got used to the icy conditions Smile But several pistes were closed. The snow came on the day we left!
snow conditions
@AiChoo, snap. Practiced ice skiing in the morning, slush in the afternoon, and it was fine, and a great holiday.
snow report
@AiChoo, I did wonder how you'd got on. Xmas week in LaRos' was good (though only 1/2 open) but slowly deteriorating and didn't look like it'd survive New Year. The plus was that the place was deserted.
ski holidays
@Filthyphil30k, where were you ? We could have met up and gone ice skiing together Happy

Anyone going out to Flaine on 23rd January?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy