Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard binding question

Poster: A snowHead
Guys I Am a skier bit both my boys boards and I know very little about it. I have purchased my oldest a new Burton board 162 as he has shot up in last year and his 148 board is ridiculous. He has head bindings which he loves and I thought I would just change them over but this new board has a long groove for the bindings. What do I do as I can't see how the head ones can fit. Do I Need to buy Burton bindings to match it

Thanks in advance of all your advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get a kit/package thing I believe that allows you to use any bindings with the Burton channel system. Otherwise yes, you will need Burton EST bindings.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's definitely possible as my husband has a similar set up, can't remember exactly which conversion kit he has but there are quite a few listed here:

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/S/SNOWBOARD_BINDINGS_SPARES_discs_straps_screws_washers_plates-(177).aspx

Might be worth giving them a quick call to make sure you get the right ones!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Somehow organise him some EST bindings - the beauty of the channel system is how it works with the EST bindings. Other bindings can be adapted but its not the same. Burton make some of the best bindings around so I'm sure he'll be happy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above, many manufacturers supply a disc that is compatible with the channel, or sell them as an accessory. You'll need the specific one for your brand of binding though and I've not seen one for Head bindings. Try giving Head a call/email - if not get some Burton EST bindings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice, more money so i hope he has stopped growing now
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been looking on ebay, i take it anything with EST is suitable for the board. are the Cartel/Custom ones decent
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mikeelsa wrote:
I have been looking on ebay, i take it anything with EST is suitable for the board. are the Cartel/Custom ones decent

Yes. What board?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
burton ripcord i think
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They'd both work - the Customs are are good all-rounder mid-range bindings, the Cartels are a bit higher end, stiffer too so they're more suited to higher speed, steeps or big hits. But you'd be ok with either. TBH on a Ripcord the Customs are probably a better match.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikeelsa wrote:

Err, not quite. Burton changed size of the Channel in 2011, so pre-2011 EST bindings require a 'transition kit' to fit new (post-2011) Channel boards. Newer bindings will fit just fine though. It's explained here: https://www.snowboards.com/Burton-Binding-Compatibility/article-11-29-2010,default,pg.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi @mikeelsa,
I'm sure you've thought of this but the ripcord 162 only comes in wide so your sons feet need to be at least size 10 for this to work. Also the length of the board required is really related to his weight not height so depending on his riding style may not suit him. It might be worth checking on this before you go sourcing a set of bindings for a board that might not suit him.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
he is 6'3'' with size 10 feet and weighs about 11 stone so i reckoned it would be right.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair enough.

For what its worth I've had both burton customs and now cartels (non est). The customs lasted me a good 6 or 7 years and now ive stepped up to the cartels which are slightly more responsive but both are great bindings.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not a stiff board so the size is ok. Customs will work fine - Burton recommend the even softer Freestyles
ski holidays
he is of intermediate standard can board down anything on the piste and was going off piste a little in Austria this year doing little jumps as he gets better. although he is the boarder he probably knows as much as me when it comes to kit. He picked the board more cause it is a Burton than anything else and an all mountain board. There were better boards in my opinion with bigger discount but what do i know.
snow report
You'll be able to make the Head bindings fit. I've got some Amplid bindings (re-branded Head stuff) and I've bodged a different disc into them as I couldn't get the stance I wanted. Some minor stanley knife work was required...
ski holidays
Sounds like he's already better than the Ripcord's target audience. It's a beginner profile with basic construction. Burton make some decent boards but you get better value with the likes of Flow, Ride & Nitro.
snow report
Managed to pick up a set of cartel bindings on ebay for 60 quid. They are 2 years old and look in excellent condition. I hear what you are saying about the board but will it really stop him doing anything he wants to. I am hoping this board will do him a while or at least until he wants to buy his own. I struggle to understand the differences between boards and even skis. Thanks for all your inputs they have been most helpful
snow conditions
@mikeelsa, the board is the wrong size. 158w is more appropriate and as to wide or not he's borderline so could get away with a standard width. If he has shrink tech boots he could also go down to 154 depending on his riding. For all mountain though 157 would be good. I do think its the wrong board all together as an intermediate.
snow report
thanks for all your help but eveyone has different ideas about what is good and what is not. when we went to Austria in February he was around 6'1'' and we took his own board with him because when we booked it he still rode it well. He grew ridiculously quick in a short space and when we got to the snowboard school they said it was far too small and sent us off to hire a 161 for him which made a massive difference to his boarding. a 154 would be far too small in my opinion and I don't see how the 162 is the wrong size for his height. I appreciate he may well be able to ride something higher end but for the one week a year in europe and the three or four trips up north i am hoping it will do him just fine for now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy