Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

After a new board, unsure on length to buy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm sure this has probably been covered a thousand times but here we go anyway. I'm heading out to the 3 valleys in January for 3 months so I'm looking to buy two new boards, 1 for all mountain and a more playful board with more flex to start practising park. I would say my general rising style is carving and bombing down the mountain but I would like the flexibility to freestyle across the mountain in the all mountain board. The more playful board would be for those days I am with my friends that aren't so quick on slope so I can practice buttering and flatland tricks etc to keep things interesting.

Currently I ride a 13/14 Bataleon Goliath 157. It was an ex-demo so god only knows how much of a beating it had before I bought it, I myself have spent 2 weeks in france and probably around 30 odd day on the indoor slopes on it, but i've noticed a few chips and deep scratches and it is creeking when flexed etc, so I have a feeling it might be on its way out and I could benefit from buying a new version of the board. I also noticed it didnt always seem to glide so well on flat surfaces (it didnt carry my momentum as well) so my thoughts are perhaps I am a little heavy for the size of the board? It was a great size for making quick turns, didnt have much flex (which is ok) so I didnt try too many tricks, and it held its own at speed although it did sometimes feel a little unstable at around 45mph.

I'm 5'10 and currently 92kg (202lbs) but when i am fit I am around 85kg (187lbs - I have tree trunks for legs!). I was looking at buying a 154 Global Warmer or 155 Name Dropper and a 158/161 Goliath+ from the new range... I wasn't sure if I perhaps needed the 151 for a park board, and I was;t sure if I would benefit more from a 161 from the all-mountain board.. does anyone have any experience with this and can help out? What are the pro's and cons?

I've demo'd the 155 and 154 boards indoors and got on fine, my local store doesnt have a 161 to demo however. Any help mutely appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
your not too heavy for a 157 goliath, i'd say your about right for it.

its tricky, you want to go shorter but you are quite heavy, it really depends exactly what you'll do doing on it and where.

Your too heavy for a 151 park board though. you could ride park in a dome on it, but the second you land tail heavy off a kicker or cat track it'll fold like paper, useless unless you land on the bolts.

I've never really bothered with more than one board at a time, I've done it, but always just ended up favouring one and the other gets left at home.

if I were you i'd maybe go for something like a 154 capita DOA, it'll be stiff enough to ride the mountain on, but you'll have the weight/strength to be able to press it.

as I said though, its difficult without know exactly what terrain you'll be riding Sad

Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I'll mostly be riding on piste and charging on the all-mountain board, with the odd kickers but not overly interested in park for that board. The other board would be more for indoors when I'm home but would like to take it out with me in case I want to do some park... I may well go for a 'best of both worlds' board though.

Its difficult when it comes to size - I get on with the 157, but it would seem the majority of youtube experts and snowboard shop scales are pointing me towards a 161..?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
if you are just charging around on and off piste it wont make much difference really. the extra length will give you more rail in contact with the snow so it'll hold a turn better, but if you want to be buttering, jibbing, spinning of stuff and hitting rails it'll be hard to do it on a board of that length.

i'm 5'11 and I wouldn't touch anything over 154, but then I really enjoy having the manoeuvrability it gives me.

maybe hold fire until you've done a few weeks and know who you'll be riding with and what you'll be doing Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
161 sounds about right for you for an all-rounder. You shouldn't have any hassles riding park on it either.

If I were you (and I'm actually pretty similar height/weight!), I'd be looking at about something about 160-163 with camber for cruising/carving/powder and something around 155-159 with a reverse or mixed camber for park/jibbing.

The rider is far, far more important than the board at the end of the day!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that - I know I enjoy charging down the mountain and carving at the moment, but I haven't really tried my hand much at park or even kickers all that much, have always had too much fun racing my ski-mates. I know if I am out there for 3 months though I will want something more playful which is why I'm looking at 2 boards.

Out of interest, does anyone know how long a board will usually last? my 157 Goliath has seen around 40 days worth, not including the abuse it likely got when it was a demo board, has a fair few scratches and dings, and a fair amount of cosmetic damage / chips - so i imagine it was heavily abused before I had it, my thinking is a new board would hold an edge better and I might be able to get something more accurate for my weight range.

So I'm thinking a new Goliath in a 161 (the other option is a 158 and that'd be very similar to my current ex-demo board)
And a new Burton Name Dropper in a 155 (I tested this and liked it a lot, just not on mountain)

That should give me two board with very different purposes and feel, and a huge hole in the pocket!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I normally get about 100 days out of a board Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cool... I haven't a clue how often it was taken out as a demo as it seems now many people realise you can take demo boards out at this store, but I imagine it probably had at least 30 days worth and a lot of abuse considering we all like to test the limits of a board when we test them.

Are there any real benefits of buying new?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I generally destroy mine on rocks long before I get any issues with delamination or core flex! Easily get 100 days out of a decent modern board if you don't trash it.

A new board is always going to be nicer - if it's been a demo board, it's probably been edged/base ground a lot to keep it looking pretty so it might have pretty thin edges/base or it just might be trashed.

Nothing quite like that new base, new edge feel!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm out there for 3 months, may never get a chance to do a long stint again for such a long time so I want to make the most of it - I'm sold on the new boards - I want to make sure I don't cut any corners on this trip. Very Happy Very Happy Nice one chaps!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
make sure you take your old board for early season rock hopping though Wink having a board that you don't give a **** about is good fun!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy