Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fracture during NTPSBA

Poster: A snowHead
Fracture of the intercondylar notch, which I'm told is likely to be a vertical crack down from the tibial spines into the tibia.

Can't help with consultants, you need to ascertain which ones are on your insurers list first, but if they use Spire, she says Arbuthnot or Jain off that list, but in general you want to see focus on the knee and not random naming of other body parts, jack of all trades etc

http://www.spirehealthcare.com/parkway/our-facilities-treatments-and-consultants/our-treatments/knee-ligament-surgery/searchresults.aspx?source=consultants&name=&hospital=spire%20parkway%20hospital&hospitalpageid=89&specialtyid=199&hospitalpageidrank=&referrerpageid=44324
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamcham wrote:
@wingman, Which airline are you using? Contact them asap to get priority through the airport. EJ in GVA were fantastic when it happened to me. They loaded me onto the plane using a lift and wheelchair and sorted out extra seats. By the way, the waiting area for wheelchairs in GVA is part of the pilots' lounge - a very different route through priority boarding.

You will need a letter from the French doctor to say you are fit to fly. Don't do what we did - leave it in the checked in suitcase! Airline not impressed, we had the see doctor at the airport for another letter as the suitcase was on it's way to the plane Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pruman wrote:
pam w wrote:
@Pruman, is DVT really such a risk for somebody who taking anti-thrombosis stuff, is mobile on crutches, and on a very short flight?

Less of a risk is still a risk. Personally, as there is an alternative to flying, I'd do that. And what happens when @Wingman turns up at the airport on crutches? First thing they'll ask for is a "fitness to fly" from a doctor (hopefully he has that sorted) and they may well insist on him having a row of 3 seats. Again, if it were me, I'd go down to the nearest state hospital (hopefully he has EHIC?) and go from there. I'm not sure what sounds like a virtually untreated injury is a good way to go even for a short period.

Flying is only really a risk for DVT in as much as you are sat still for long periods of time, you can be sat around for long periods of time on a train and get a DVT . A short flight does not really impose significant risk and will not increase the risk beyond having your leg immobilised which is why he has been given the drugs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@T Bar, the inactivity is not the only reason DVT is more of a risk on airplanes. Quite normal now for insurers to road ambulance patients from Europe to UK to avoid flying. But anyway, I agree, it's not a long flight and the guy has drugs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wingman, BUPA have an orthopaedic help team & I'm told they are really helpful. But your GP should be able to recommend somebody. I would then check them out with BUPA too. Just because they follow BUPA guidelines re payment, doesn't necessarily mean they are the most experienced though. Best of luck with the journey home & ongoing treatment - keep us posted wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chamcham, I'm flying with Swiss. I've already requested special assistance each end (inc Wheelchair). I'm hoping it'll all go fine. Only concern is I have a big bad and skis but I'm sure they can work it out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wingman, I dare say they are used to it wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@wingman, they will put you on a cart thing and assign someone to get your bags and hand you over to whoever is next in the chain.

Fit to fly note is essential

If you can get to Wimbledon then Jonathan Bell is recommended
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a non displaced tibial fracture and was told to unweighted it completely. If it displaced, it would have to be rebroken and set. I hope that this is not happening to you.
Make sure that you don't overdo it in your need to get home. Take all help offered. X
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@wingman, have you made it back? One thing I'd say is all the "help" through the airport, special check in will get charged back to you I'd assume if you don't have insurance....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

One thing I'd say is all the "help" through the airport, special check in will get charged back to you

Not necessarily. My mother travelled out and back via Geneva several times, with help - including wheelchair. Nothing was ever charged.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Special assistance is free. Long day - made it back fine, everyone was really helpful.

I've been to my doctors and have a referral letter so I'll get cracking with Bupa in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your input/concern/support.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
you've had a busy day, @wingman. Hope the rest of it goes equally well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wingman, good to hear you're home safe, best of luck with your recovery
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@wingman, Pleased that you are back OK. Good luck and keep us posted.
snow report
Hi all, a little update - just been to Spire Parkway and saw Mr James Arbuthnot (http://www.jamesarbuthnot.co.uk/) who was excellent. (Looks familiar too, I went to junior school with a Luke Arbuthnot - must ask him if they are related)

Seems the ACL is ok but the bone its attached to has come away. Might treat it through the NHS rather than private as due to his diary that might be quicker.

Off for an MRI scan tomorrow to confirm everything is as expected. Hopefully they can reattach the bone. If there is not enough bone there is an option to reconstruct the ACL.

So, all in all, not great but now at least on the way to recovery.
ski holidays
@wingman, Good luck! Hope you get it sorted quickly and it's not too serious.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@Pruman, 1000s of skiers injure themselves each winter and fly home for treatment. Most of them don't suffer DVT. Wingman is already taking anti-clotting agents. He's travelling in a taxi for a couple of hours and a plane for a couple more. A long journey by train could be just as risky if he is in pain and still unable to move around the train. It would also be far more troublesome journey for a person with reduced mobility who is needing to transport luggage.

the only DVT i have seen in 15 years of running a ski injury clinic in the UK was from someone who drove home and got stuck in huge traffic jams.

The risk of DVT will not be reduced by having surgery in a foreign country,

if anything it would most likely increase the risk as you'll still have to travel after surgery.

Surgery is itself a risk of DVT.
ski holidays
Quote:

the only DVT i have seen in 15 years of running a ski injury clinic in the UK was from someone who drove home and got stuck in huge traffic jams.

Laughing that puts it into perspective.
snow conditions
tiffin wrote:
The self-injection seems to be the thing now for DVT, my MOL has just had one and had to do it.

My wife's just had surgery on her foot here in London - they've sent her home with a weeks worth of injections and a sharps box as well.
snow conditions
Mrs NBT broke her hip last year, was sent home with a month's worth of Enoxaparin injections that I had to administer. Sadly the operation to repair her hip was not succesful so she recently had a total hip replacement (which yesterday's review shows has gone splendidly well!) but was not given Heparin or the like, she was given knee height compression socks (for both legs) and a full length compression dressing for the operated leg, and told to take aspirin twice daily for a month. It all seems to depend on the consultant who performs the operation and their preferences for avoiding the risk of DVT
latest report

After the Surgery.
ski holidays

Surgery Notes
latest report

With the brace on
snow report
Are you home now, @wingman? Mobile?
ski holidays
Yes, I'm back home and kind of mobile (using crutches). The operation was done as a day case and I think it went well (haven't seen the consultant yet, booked for the 23rd). It was my first operation so was all quite daunting but everyone made me feel at ease.

Physio thinks a full recovery is possible but will take some time, which be interesting to see what the consultant thinks.

Must say thanks once again to everyone on here for your advise and help. Bad to work (from home) on Thursday. Crying or Very sad

Pete
ski holidays
Quote:

Physio thinks a full recovery is possible but will take some time, which be interesting to see what the consultant thinks

The physio is probably right - get started on the rehab asap and keep moving. I've had several ops and those ghastly stockings are one of the worst aspects of it, IMHO. I'd far, far, rather give myself anti-thrombosis shots; done in a jiffy.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Physio thinks a full recovery is possible but will take some time, which be interesting to see what the consultant thinks

The physio is probably right - get started on the rehab asap and keep moving. I've had several ops and those ghastly stockings are one of the worst aspects of it, IMHO. I'd far, far, rather give myself anti-thrombosis shots; done in a jiffy.

I have injections also, they are the most painful part. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have injections also, they are the most painful part

in that case you have nothing to worry about!
latest report
@wingman, do you have private physio cover? If so I suggest you go now and get exercises you can do straight away and put in place a recovery plan. I wish I had done more leg raises while I was on crutches
snow conditions
Wingman, glad to see you have had the op and are recovering, let us know how the re-hab goes and good luck.

J
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Yes, I do have private cover, I had the first session today. He's given me one exercise as there is really not much else that can be done at the moment (leg is strapped straight), aimed at strengthening the quads (pushing the knee down and almost lifting the heel). I need to be doing this a lot!
ski holidays
Cheers @BillyJohnn, hopefully get to ski with you next season Very Happy
snow report
@wingman, leg raises can be done while strapped straight - lying down on your front raise the leg behind you, repeat lying on your back and again on your side - focuses on the glutes which will diminish pretty quickly
latest report
They gave me a short video looking around inside my knee, you can see it here:

http://youtube.com/v/Ymwq06PsgY0 Confused
latest report
@wingman, cool!
latest report
wingman wrote:

Surgery Notes

Glad to see im not the only surgeon with illegible writing.
snow report
@Jonathan Bell, Very Happy Very Happy Does it look like it went well? I'm not due to see the surgeon until next week.
snow report
@wingman, I wonder if it is only me (a pharmacist) that can actually read doctor's handwriting? Even then it is a dying art as most prescriptions are computer generated. Younger dispensing staff don't have a clue. We had a foundation GP recently who had the handwriting of a 4 year old using crayons.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, Interesting, the other doctors at the hospital seemed to read it straight away with no issues, you clearly have to be in the trade.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy