Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budding BASI Level 1 snowboard instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well my 16 year old has decided she rather fancies doing a level 1 instructor course between finishing her GCSEs and starting her A levels next summer, looking at the BASI page I'm pretty confident she is a good enough snowboarder, and given where we live Tamworth is the obvious place to do it. Does anyone have any advice for her, either about the course/exam itself or what to do between now and then on trips to the fridge and the mountains?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davkt, As you know me daughter did Ski L1 at the same age. Biggest learning point from that is to get her checked out by someone who knows exactly what is needed to pass. Natalie was assured she'd walk it and in fact she had to make several changes during the week to pass.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, think Tamworth does some pretty cheap (not much more than the lift past) checkout sessions so we will get her onto one of those before too long. That give her the best part of six months to polish up the riding skills.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best thing she can practise is riding with the right posture. Shoulders, hips and ankles stacked one above the other, no breaking at the waist (leaning forwards) or sticking the bum out. There are loads of good drills for this, any BASI instructor should be able to provide a few if she does an assessment session (if not, PM me and I'll write some down).

From there, it's about turning the board using pressure from the feet, not throwing the shoulders around or kicking the back foot out.

If she can stay in a stacked posture and make mellow, rounded turns without bending, twisting or otherwise losing posture, she'll be in a good place to start a level 1.

This is a lot harder than it might sound for most people!

Can you do the course at 16? I thought you had to be 17, then 18 to actually teach.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There were two 16-yr-olds on my ski L1 course. One of them failed the teach because she wasn't able to stand up and present in front of a group of grown ups. She went to pieces; couldn't even speak. The other one passed with flying colours, tho. A lot depends on the maturity of the person in question.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stevomcd, Thanks, will pm you in a sec, yep its 16 now and has been for a few years, @Claude B's daughter did hers (ski) at 16 and is at uni now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy