Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie in Canada hit by rare in-bounds avalanche: lucky escape for 9 skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heavy snow, on a very unstable base, has led to extreme avalanche danger at Fernie in British Columbia.

60 per cent of the ski area was closed by the ski patrol last Sunday, but a rare in-bounds avalanche came down on a ski run, partly burying 9 skiers (including a patroller).

This report from CTV.ca.

Anyone skiing in BC at the moment? What's it like?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you read the report, they had 9 meters! If you read carefully 9 m = 3 feet..... so i guess that means they actually had 9 feet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes! The exact words in the report are:
Quote:
Over three feet (nine metres) in the last week has fallen on the resort

It could be they had three feet (one metre) or thirty feet (nine metres) or ... as you say ... nine feet!

Can anyone do us a snow report on Fernie?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CBC reckon "Fernie had received more than 50 centimetres of snow in 48 hours" - so more likely 3 feet - 1 metre?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here in Whistler we've had 35cm overnight yesterday - with more to come over the next week..... so I would go with the 50cm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you go to Fernie's website, they've had just over 1 meter of new snow in the last week. Still though, Whistler's also had over a meter in the last week, and a good meter or more per week for the past couple weeks before too, and avalanche warnings are not particularly high, so it's obviously more than just alot of snow causing the avalanches at Fernie - possibly a rain crust under the powder or some such thing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of the 9 people who enjoyed a lucky escape from this avalanche, Nathalie Cordiez, is quoted by CBC News today:
Quote:
"From the time I looked up the mountain and saw that wall, I barely had three words out of my mouth or in my head," Cordiez, an experienced backcountry skier with avalanche training, said. "I thought we were dead, and I knew I had nothing I could do.

"We were hit within a second of seeing it."

Here's the report.

Interestingly, the report states that the avalanche triggered in an out-of-bounds area of the mountain where blasting was going on. It's not quite clear whether the slide moved into an in-bounds area, which was the gist of the original reports.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It came across the Blueberry Run - so definately inbounds.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More info here including a first hand account extract.

http://www.biglines.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10539&start=0

Its a big slide to run down to the flats from the (out of bounds) Lizard Headwall. Credit to all the patrol involved especially the guy who was working on the kid.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Conditions around that area seem to be pretty high risk at the moment - ski co employee killed by avalanche at Island Lake Lodge Cat Skiing operation just outside Fernie - in "area not usually known for avalanches".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heading to Fernie this Thursday - will be very careful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy