Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox cross rider 18 or Dakine Heli Pro 20

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some real life reviews of either of these two packs, or any alternatives you can think that may suit.

Looking for a ski pack that isnt excessive for carrying lunch/snacks and ability to take a fleece on a piste day, so being relatively small for lifts, though we dont have many chairs to contend with, but that will also manage lunch plus a basic safety kit (no ABS) as we are looking at doing a couple of days with a guide as an intro to off piste so lift served, no climbs. A good ski carry is a must though.

I'm looking for a womens fit, having tried a few bags I find anything 'mens' rides too high. Other half has a Heli Pro which I like, but just find it sits up under my hood (tried womens 12l on in EB and that sits well, but might be a bit small), and friend recommended the ortovox pack. Budget about £80.

Anyone own either of these or anything else they think may suit.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look at the Osprey Kode 22 in womens. Or the Deuter Free Rider. Both top your shortlist IMHO. Madeye-Smiley

I'm a big Ortovox fan, but their small rucksacks are a bit disappointing in the flesh. Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMO Ortovox rocks, but do a deal at the time of purchase to get a carbon cylinder, the steels are too heavy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charliee wrote:
but do a deal at the time of purchase to get a carbon cylinder, the steels are too heavy.

NO ABS! Read the post! The lady wants a backpack, not £500 worth of ABS kit! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have their cross rider 22. Was chosen because of its low profile for lifts etc and works well. Plenty of room for AviKit as well as the usual spares; goggles,gloves,wooly hat,sunnies,suncream,fleece and choccie/water. As a bag it fits well (Im 6'2) even when full at the end of the day with all the suff you thought you'd need but actually don't! My only problem is that unless the bag is acctually fasened up with all the buckles and belts it does tend to move around and slipping off, but that could just be the compatibility with my jacket or rather lack there of.
As a holiday "donkey bag" for the slopes and family I would have thought the 18 would be more than up to the job and low profile enough not to make the wearer feel uncomfortable on any lifts.

Hope this 2p helps!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charliee wrote:
IMO Ortovox rocks

THIS
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is 18l or 20l not too big. I've got a Dakine 11 litre. It has a ski carry, a holder for a hydration sack. It is certainly big enough for what you need. Even for flights I can get a laptop, iPad, book, spare shirt, pants ,socks and big headphones in it. Enough for a long haul so should be enough for some snacks and a fleece on/off piste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Is 18l or 20l not too big. I've got a Dakine 11 litre. It has a ski carry, a holder for a hydration sack. It is certainly big enough for what you need. Even for flights I can get a laptop, iPad, book, spare shirt, SKIRT (no pants) ,socks and big headphones in it. Enough for a long haul so should be enough for some snacks and a fleece on/off piste.

FIFY Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lampygirl, I HAD the 20l Helipro, now have the 11l one instead. Too many straps and too big to carry around.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+2 for Osprey....me and the missus both use them now (for exactly the use you're looking at). Better features, better quality (ie. less wear and tear for same use vs Dakine) and the Kode comes in a couple of different fits to suit different body shapes (or it did when the missus got hers).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have an Otrovox and love it - although I am yet to fasten skis to it so cannot comment on the ski carry - but for day to day it is robust and well-designed. Number 1 son has the 20l Helipro and he loves it. A dividing line might be that my Ortovox has a back protector built in, not so the Helipro. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
I have an Otrovox and love it - although I am yet to fasten skis to it so cannot comment on the ski carry - but for day to day it is robust and well-designed. Number 1 son has the 20l Helipro and he loves it. A dividing line might be that my Ortovox has a back protector built in, not so the Helipro. snowHead

Back protector big plus, as is the little pocket on the waist band for your camera (or the dreaded phone!)

That one little pocket has saved so much time taking the pack on and off.

Ok so with decent pockets, one shouldnt really need a bag, but I hate stuffing my pockets with stuff

Does the heli allow you to fit a camel back? The ortovox does
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984 wrote:
Ian Kenvyn wrote:

Does the heli allow you to fit a camel back? The ortovox does

Yes mine has (11L)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dakine do their own version of a Camelbak.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The problem being with 'recommend' threads, is that there is invariably a heap of 'what I own is the best' and those blathering on about how good what they own is, often have little or no experience of the alternatives. I see this often on a ribbing (inflatable boats) forum of which I'm also a member.
Here is a list of rucksacks of which I'm first hand acquainted. Very Happy

One son has a 20ltr Dakine Heli.
Another son has an Osprey Stratos 24
Eldest daughter has a Deuter Free Rider and an Ortovox Base 20 ABS
Youngest daughter has an 18ltr Deuter.
I had an Ortovox Freerider 18 delivered last week, I immediately returned. It was over styled, odd looking and wasn't comfortable.
Today I had an Osprey Kode 22 turn up, it's perfect, a great fit, bulletproot proof in construction and great looking. A cut above the Orto Freerider IMHO.
I also have an Arcteryx Silo 18.

In short, in my experience Dakine Helis are now behind the others. Ortovox are great other than the Freerider range, which wraps around like an orthopaedic back support and are a bit squishy. Osprey may not look as flash as some of the others, but they are all about quality, likewise Deuter.

Only my opinion, for what It's worth.
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Mollerski, Nah I think you just dislike the ortovox freerider 'cus your not cool enough. I love the wrap around as it holds my gut in and makes me more aerodynamic Happy
ski holidays
@PaulC1984,

That's it! It's a fat lad belly belt! Razz
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
@PaulC1984,

That's it! It's a fat lad belly belt! Razz

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
is there any difference in these day packs vs the ski specific ones? I only ask as I could be on the look out for one but I don't want anything big.
snow report
I love my ortovox packs, but thats my view. Loads go for the dakine heli, but ive just seen someones bought a Salomon Trail 10 on another thread. They look a neat little pack. The 2 things it doesn't seem to have is waterproofing or ski carriers, but if all you want is one for snack and a layer it looks a fab little pack
snow report
ah waterproofing, yeah I spotted the lack of ski carrier but that's not a deal break for me. I quite like the look of ortovox free rider 16 given its size and is half the weight of the heli pro
snow report
Russeh wrote:
ah waterproofing, yeah I spotted the lack of ski carrier but that's not a deal break for me. I quite like the look of ortovox free rider 16 given its size and is half the weight of the heli pro

And has a back protector built in. I've got the 18 and 24, I love them. Only reason I went for the 20 is the length for the backprotector but there really isn't that much difference
ski holidays
cool I think i'll have to go try one out @PaulC1984
snow conditions
Is there a difference between men's and women's packs in construction, or is it just colours?
snow report
@Gordyjh, I've found that they are shorter in height so they don't poke up behind your neck so much and therefore sit better. Obviously this is on the more high end kit for want of a better phrase. E.g for sizing with the ortovox back protector.

I've gone for the ortovox pack, should arrive Monday so I'll see. I liked the look of the Kode but couldn't find one to try. My other half has a heli so I'm pretty sure the size is about right over the smaller packs, as your mates inevitably ask you to also stash their stuff and you can fit your bread and cheese in from the shop on the way home once you've given the stuff back. We only have 2 chair lifts in our resort too, so being able to use it on a chair is way low down the list.
ski holidays
Hi everyone,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was also trying to decide between the Ortovox and the Dakine initially. I'd like to add a few questions:

1) Is the difference between the Crossrider and the Freerider just that the Freerider has a back protection and more features? @lampygirl, which Ortovox did you go for?

2) After reading this forum, I'm trying to decide between a Kode 22 (not women specific but works well?) and maybe a Freerider 22. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
snow report
aewynia wrote:
Hi everyone,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was also trying to decide between the Ortovox and the Dakine initially. I'd like to add a few questions:

1) Is the difference between the Crossrider and the Freerider just that the Freerider has a back protection and more features? @lampygirl, which Ortovox did you go for?

2) After reading this forum, I'm trying to decide between a Kode 22 (not women specific but works well?) and maybe a Freerider 22. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ive not had my hands on the crossrider, but I think the 2 main differences are the waist belt on the freerider is more substantial (for holding the fat gut in whilst stopping movement of the pack) and the back protector.

How much stuff are you planning to carry. the 22 is a big pack to a snack and a midlayer. if all your planning is for a few bits then go for the 18 or even 16.

I have the 18 and the 24 abs freeriders. the 18 is more than enough for food, layers etc for me and another person. The 24abs (the 22 is only a smidge smaller) is a bit of a pain on lift, you have to twist your back to get your back bottom far enough back in the seat - i suspect youll have the same issue with and 22litre pack
ski holidays
So bag arrived this morning. Went for the cross rider 18, which seems similar to the freeride but without the back protector.

It holds my kit with a bit of room to spare, good for spare gloves or your mates fleece. Fits well and doesn't feel bulky. There is a lot of excess on the straps so I might do a bit of shortening on those. Seems to tick all the boxes at the moment, just need to test it out on the mountain at Xmas.

Obviously I've not skied in it yet, but provided it fits you well I'd recommend it. It seems well built and has a good set of features. I like the idea of the different colour zip pulls on the safety kit compartment too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampygirl wrote:
There is a lot of excess on the straps so I might do a bit of shortening on those.

doesn't it have the velcro straps so you can roll the excess up?
snow report
It's got the elastic ones, but there really is a lot of strap. I'm not especially slight either. I'll fold back once or twice but I reckon it could get round my waist again.

Not really a major criticism though. Gonna try out the various ski attachments tomorrow.
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, you're probably right 22 sounds a bit big for a snack and a midlayer. I was just noticing that the Freerider 18 or 16 doesn't come in "woman specific" - though I'm not sure how much difference the "woman specific" ones make.

Actually I'd like a small bag, so I will probably go for the Crossrider 18 Women's, considering your feedback @lampygirl. Thanks!

Any ladies out there who have had experience with the Kode 22? All things considered, probably too big for my needs eh.

Thank you everyone!
ski holidays
aewynia wrote:
@PaulC1984, you're probably right 22 sounds a bit big for a snack and a midlayer. I was just noticing that the Freerider 18 or 16 doesn't come in "woman specific" - though I'm not sure how much difference the "woman specific" ones make.

Actually I'd like a small bag, so I will probably go for the Crossrider 18 Women's, considering your feedback @lampygirl. Thanks!

Any ladies out there who have had experience with the Kode 22? All things considered, probably too big for my needs eh.

Thank you everyone!

The freerider 16 is meant for women and short people from memory Happy

The crossrider comes in a lovely purple if thats your think

I just like the freerider because of the back protector
snow report
Thanks @PaulC1984! And no - I'm not interested in the purple. Black with blue zips suits me way better. Very Happy

Well the way I see it, now it's between the Crossrider 18 Women, and the Freerider 16 unisex. Pricewise, it is about £30 extra for the Freerider 16, which I'm attributing to the back protector. Is the back protector really that helpful/useful?
ski holidays
I've just got one of the ortovox's with the back protector and I now think it's a bit heavy. I thought it might be a nice for a free extra but didn't think about the weight. Also the wraparound strap is Massive so I felt it's a bit overkill for a piste/off piste day. I'm swapping for the powder rider 16.
snow report
You can take the backprotector out you know. Weigh, really - my hip flask weighs more than the bag Happy
snow report
aewynia wrote:
Thanks @PaulC1984! And no - I'm not interested in the purple. Black with blue zips suits me way better. Very Happy

Well the way I see it, now it's between the Crossrider 18 Women, and the Freerider 16 unisex. Pricewise, it is about £30 extra for the Freerider 16, which I'm attributing to the back protector. Is the back protector really that helpful/useful?

Not really sure whether the back protectors worth it. Only time I can see it being useful on piste is if some moron rear ends you or if u have lots of hard objects in your back and you pack them against your spine
snow conditions
So my cross rider has had 2 weeks of use so thought I'd come back and update. Obviously there was no off piste so the bag was purely used as a lunch and fleece type bag. I found it was perfectly fine for this. It certainly didn't feel too big as a basic on piste carrying stuff around bag. Various medical conditions in our group too so going without a bag between us isn't an option. It fitted easily on chairs without removing although sometimes I did it I wanted stuff from inside. Always quick and easy to get off/on.

The ski carry worked well. We tried it out first and last day to ferry skis and boots to and from our flat to our ski locker. Plenty of straps and felt secure.

Downsides are as mentioned earlier there is a lot of strap if you aren't meticulous at tuck ing all the excesses away. Also the heli's fleecey goggle pocket was missed in this although I have a bag for the spare goggles.

Overall it certainly seems a good buy for someone who wants a bag that will take the essentials off piste but not be ridiculous for on piste carrying stuff. I can't say I particularly noticed it whilst skiing and also took it walking a couple of times and it was light enough then too. I would certainly recommend.
latest report
@lampygirl, I've tried a few Ortovox packs on in the local Cham shops and found them to be too long in the back for me if I use the hip belt, which I tend to do when skiing off the beaten track.
snow conditions
@Sub_Zero_G, Are you a midget or have I just got a beer belly??!! Ive never had a problem with the fit Toofy Grin
snow report
@PaulC1984, you must have a beer belly Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy