Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens pass vs 3V pass

Poster: A snowHead
An impromptu trip to VT is on the cards and we've found a good offer (price-wise) for a fairly crappy looking accom but only €200 per person for 5 days' skiing in early December, staying at Residencia Temples Du Soleil. But the (third-party "agency") website which we're likely to book on says that the lift pass is "Val Thorens"... which I suspect isn't the full 3V pass.

So my question is, is it likely to be possible to upgrade to a 3V pass on the spot? We'll try calling tomorrow in any case, but I expect other sHs have experience of this situation that would help to guide us...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easy to upgrade on day by day basis - worth however asking whoever is the T/O if you can upgrade and pay the extra if you are all set on doing 3v each day. Plenty to do in VT/Orelle so you might just upgrade on the spot for a couple of days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can upgrade at any of the offices in the village or on the slope. Probably depends how many days you'll want to stay in VT and how many explore the 3vs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK thanks, great to know. We'll upgrade as and when needed then.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone know what the daily cost is to upgrade and do they do half-days?

Will be in VT early next year with UCPA, VT pass inclusive and I assume the UCPA guides know how to get the most out of the VT area only pass, but do fancy upgrading to head over Meribel / Courchevel direction on one or two days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pyremaniac, Just thinking about it, in early December the links to the rest of the 3V may not be open. It depends on the snow. So it may be better for you to wait and sort out lift passes on an ad hoc basis. I also seem to remember that a Val Thorens pass does not cover the other resorts in the valey such as Les Menuires
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bradlex, from what I can tell it's €33 to upgrade to full 3V for a day, and €31 to upgrade to the neighbouring valley. Not cheap, but then again the full 3V for multiple days is a lot more expensive than VT, and you have to ask how often you're actually going to leave VT. We've um'd and ah'd and have finally decided to by VT and upgrade for the odd day - that's if we do end up going...

...johnE, the full 3V opens on Saturday 5 Dec, but we're not too excited about the snow situation right now (beyond VT I mean) and so we're leaving our plans open.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 30-11-15 18:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bradlex wrote:

Will be in VT early next year with UCPA, VT pass inclusive and I assume the UCPA guides know how to get the most out of the VT area only pass, but do fancy upgrading to head over Meribel / Courchevel direction on one or two days.

When are you going and which course?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pyremaniac, Well, you're not going to be wanting to hang out in your accommodation, that's for sure… Very Happy

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g196716-d316917-Reviews-Pierre_Vacances_Residence_Les_Temples_du_Soleil-Val_Thorens_Saint_Martin_de_Belleville_.html

But the good news is, that Val Thorens is one of the highest resorts in Europe, and is know for good snow. It also has excellent snow making facilities.

More that once, when I have been staying elsewhere in the 3V, such a Meribel, we have spent days only in VT because the snow was so good. So I would just stick with your VT passes, and then see how it pans out when you are there.

Enjoy! You will have a great time I'm sure. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, PeDaSp, yeah, we're thinking the same, that VT with the occasional add-on is the better plan. Will depend on the weather forecast to a large extent now. ..VT doesn't sound like the kind of place to want to spend too much time in poor visibility!

Yup, the accommodation is a hole! For this trip though, it'd be merely a place to bed down.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bradlex, I went with Ucpa last April to Val t. You get 7 day Val t pass which includes one day in 3 valleys.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied Val t for 2 weeks this year and last and only had one day each trip over to 3 valleys. There is enough great skiing in Val t and orelle for a one week trip. Granted both my trips were late April so Val t was best place anyway. Orelle is fab, much quieter and great off piste
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@speachmaus, +1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom Doc wrote:
Bradlex wrote:

When are you going and which course?

@Tom Doc, thanks, 6th Feb just the standard full time ski course (not off piste/free ride). Will be the third UCPA trip, the previous two were to Val D'Isere which were brilliant, massively looking forward to a week in VT.

@speachmaus, thanks, that is probably all we need to be honest, so if it's the same this year that'll be great. Would just like to venture across the different valleys and ideally do a little tree skiing as I gather there's little to zero in VT Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just don't go over on your first day, free day (sun) as you'll need it to go over with instructor later in week. We went down to Les menuires spent an hour or so there then went over and had picnic lunch in courchavel then headed back later in afternoon. Good day but tiring we didn't stop much and it was a bit icy on way over n slushy on way back but that was April, Feb should be fine
snow conditions
@speachmaus, Good advice thanks!
snow conditions
Is it possible to accidentally stray into another lift area of you stay on piste?
ski holidays
yes, if you get to the top of one of the 3v links, and go the wrong direction, then you'll end up in the wrong valley.
snow report
Is that normally signposted or flagged up, @Little Martin??
ski holidays
there's no line in the snow if that's what you are thinking, I can't remember off hand if the big boards on the major links pointing in the direction of the pistes when you get off the lift or at a junction are clear or not with regards you need a 3v pass or not.

Just make sure when you get to the top of a valley where there is a link, just make sure you head towards the right piste, most are well sign posted.
ski holidays
letsgetpiste wrote:
Is that normally signposted or flagged up, @Little Martin??

If you keep your eyes open then you should be fine. It's pretty well signed

If you keep following the sign to meribel as per the sign-post you will endup in Meribel

Roughly speaking

If you are in Val Thorens and take a lift over the village, then at the top of that ridge (another lift required) then you can drop into the next valley
If you are in les menuires, put your back to the bit of mountain with the big spike on the top (la masse), take lifts going away from the spike then you'll be in the next valley if you drop down the next ridge
in Meribel face towards Mottaret and 'over the ridge' on the right you'll be dropping back into Les Menuires, or go over the ridge to the left and you drop into Courchevel valley

etc
ski holidays
Aren't there generally BIG signs at key points saying "You are leaving the Val T (etc)" ski area??
ski holidays
Cheers everyone! I'll wrap my head around the piste map over the next month or so. Then try and avoid the embarassing extra pass purchase when up the hill!!
ski holidays
If you go yo the lift pass office before you use your pass, you can upgrade it for 50€ for a 6 day pass ( this was the price 2 seasons ago)

If your going the week before xmas I would upgrade as there will be loads of students in resort and the vt slopes will be alot busier than the other resorts
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy