Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting my 1st action camera. Which go pro/ or other camera?

Poster: A snowHead
There's some decent deals on go pros today and was going to get one but don't know which one is best?
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers folks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Silver one will be plenty good enough, Black if you can afford it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a 3+ black and a 4 silver. They both do what I need including stuff I do for work.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well, im not exactly burning notes but i can still afford the black.
could anyone tell me why the black over the silver? has the black got a screen that you can watch back footage? (i wouldve thought this would be an important feature...but im a total novice with cameras and dont understand all the techno jargon so please someone give me something in plain english as to why one may be better than the other.

really appreciate any advice given as my heads totally up my back bottom following a day of reading review after review and getting nowhere.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can buy the lcd back as an add on. (Course that may cost just as much in the end).
I just bought a session last week, like the size.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When you buy your first go-pro everyone tells you, you don't need the LCD screen as you'll never use it then (like me) you'll buy it anyway, convinced you will....then you basically don't!

The way you use a go-pro tends to mean you aren't watching whilst recording and for play back these days you can watch on another device.

So in short, don't feel like you need the led screen, it's fine, no complaints with it, but if I didn't have it, I wouldn't get it (if that makes sense)?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have 3 plus silver. Was originally thinking of add on LCD screen, but I found I don't need it. I review video later on the computer and delete the rubbish stuff then. Don't use Bluetooth or the app either. Just point it the right direction and film.

Buying the required fast writing speed micro SD card is not cheap. I got a SanDisk 32 GB extreme. I transfer the video to my laptop each evening so I don't think I've ever come close to filling it. Battery runs out first. Spare battery would be useful thinking about it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Themasterpiece, what's the 3+ silver's quality like on grey days.....I read some comments that it is not good on low light.....am tempted by the Argos deal at the moment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok so let's say I get the silver or black.
What can the black do that the silver can't?

And next question.... What type of mounts would be recommended for a boarder?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowy123 wrote:
Themasterpiece, what's the 3+ silver's quality like on grey days.....I read some comments that it is not good on low light.....am tempted by the Argos deal at the moment.

They're are out of stock already. Annoying, because I was looking to buy one myself.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowy123, it's good, and most of the videos I've shot are in sweden, which isn't renouned for a lot of sun in the winter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Themasterpiece, thanks, good to hear that. Now just need to persuade hubby we should get one for our ski trip this Christmas and pray for more snow!

@mikeycharlton, I just managed to reserve one at my local store and it's showing it's still available for delivery.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowy123 wrote:
@Themasterpiece, thanks, good to hear that. Now just need to persuade hubby we should get one for our ski trip this Christmas and pray for more snow!

@mikeycharlton, I just managed to reserve one at my local store and it's showing it's still available for delivery.

care to tell me what your local store is?

I'm in London too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mikeycharlton, it was showing available at both Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush stores.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowy123 wrote:
@mikeycharlton, it was showing available at both Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush stores.

How far through the process have you gone?

It keeps telling me they are available, but once you go in further it says they're out of stock.

Done it for Wandsworth and Clapham now.
snow report
@mikeycharlton, I think I completed the reservation but I just checked my mobile and email and haven't received a confirmation yet.
latest report
@mikeycharlton, try Halfords, it is selling at the same price with extra 10% off but without the spare battery.
latest report
Snowy123 wrote:
@mikeycharlton, try Halfords, it is selling at the same price with extra 10% off but without the spare battery.

I've managed to reserve one at Halfords.

They're even cheaper at £135, (without additional battery).
ski holidays
Sports Pursuit had the black today for £300.

You don`t need the lcd screen. It`ll drain the battery and you can watch on your phone via the app anyway. The dual charger is handy and come with a spare battery. Also, the 3-way stick is great and it has a mini tripod inside it.
ski holidays
you can rent them too fairly cheaply per day so have a look a that too. other than that there are a couple of chinese copie that you could look at hae a look at techmoan on youtube
latest report
Rom77 wrote:
... What can the black do that the silver can't?

Er, 4k. If you don't know the difference, you don't need it, so another answer would be "nothing you need". If you're a bit more interested, then you'd want 4k because it's kind of fun, and also because even if your target output is tiny, if you have 4k of image then you can crop out the bits you want from the frame, which is useful in editing. Assuming you have a machine capable of editing 4k. Their website lists the two cameras side by side: just type gopro into google.

For snowboarding, most skier stuff doesn't work well, but you'll soon figure it out. Most people I see use a pole mount. The length / weight of the pole are crucial : most are too short/ too heavy.

I don't bother with spare batteries myself and never run out, but then I turn it off when there's nothing interesting to shoot as I don't want to have to edit for hours and hours.

I travel a lot so even the discounted uk prices look eye watering to me.
snow conditions
Bought the Sony X1000 yesterday from Amazon.

£239

Lowest price I've seen it.
snow conditions
Go for a 4K camera. The video will be better, and you'll have more ability to stabilise shaky recordings if you compress the video down to 1080p. But for me the main advantage of the newer 4K cameras is the quality of the photos you get out of them, either by frame capturing from a video file (so you have 25 frames per second to capture the perfect image) or the regular high resolution photos that the cameras are capable of. I've got a GoPro 3 Black and a GoPro 4 Black and the additional cost of the 4 is definitely worth spending.
ski holidays
I just use a SJ4000 £40 ,
i wouldnt spend much as you only use it a few times , its a bit of a pain really and 99% of the footage is pure tedium unless your watching it.
ski holidays
The Gopro is one of the best things I've bought. Maybe I'm a geek but I enjoy making short 5 min videos from each holiday, and i know the family enjoy watching my son ski. The 3 plus silver has been great for this. Gopro studio is free and easy to use.

Tips: Film short clips. Download and watch them each evening. Write down clip and time of good bits, generally less that 10 second segments. Watch some professional gopro videos on YouTube to see how they piece it together. Downside is you can't use favorite songs as they are copyright and YouTube or Vimeo wont allow it. Have to find free copyright music.
latest report
hawkwind wrote:
i wouldnt spend much as you only use it a few times , its a bit of a pain really and 99% of the footage is pure tedium unless your watching it.

Go Pros for men are like enemas for women. God's way of telling you that you have far too much money.
snow report
philwig wrote:
Rom77 wrote:

Er, 4k. If you don't know the difference, you don't need it, so another answer would be "nothing you need". If you're a bit more interested, then you'd want 4k because it's kind of fun, and also because even if your target output is tiny, if you have 4k of image then you can crop out the bits you want from the frame, which is useful in editing. Assuming you have a machine capable of editing 4k. Their website lists the two cameras side by side: just type gopro into google.

For snowboarding, most skier stuff doesn't work well, but you'll soon figure it out. Most people I see use a pole mount. The length / weight of the pole are crucial : most are too short/ too heavy.

I don't bother with spare batteries myself and never run out, but then I turn it off when there's nothing interesting to shoot as I don't want to have to edit for hours and hours.

i dont know the difference as im not tech savvy....however i do want to have the ability to get good videos and so ill have to learn. the 4k thing deffinately sounds like a good thing.
so the pole mount....... are go pros official poles the best or could u recommend a company/brand please? cheers. i assumed the helmet mount would be useful as it would be filming wherever u were looking so you could control it....or maybe the wrist mount?
snow report
hawkwind wrote:

me too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rom77 wrote:
philwig wrote:
Rom77 wrote:

i dont know the difference as im not tech savvy....however i do want to have the ability to get good videos and so ill have to learn. the 4k thing deffinately sounds like a good thing.
so the pole mount....... are go pros official poles the best or could u recommend a company/brand please? cheers. i assumed the helmet mount would be useful as it would be filming wherever u were looking so you could control it....or maybe the wrist mount?

you might find this kit useful. Going to get one myself. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deyard-ZG-634-Accessories-Premium-Session/dp/B00KU70F5S?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJWHHZSLF6Y34BUBQ&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00KU70F5S&tag=amz07b-21&ascsubtag=56575d5848308f0eb49aad02

You can get the whole lot for about the same as some retailers charge for just the head strap.
snow report
Trouble with helmet mounts are you turn and move your head a lot. I think a chest mount gives a more stable imagine. I put a mount on the end of my ski pole for filming my son. You can also face it the other way and film yourself. Figure I'm carrying the pole anyway and its less conspicuous than carrying a selfie pole.
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
hawkwind wrote:

me too.

The links and listings for the SJ4000 vary wildly with a lot of people crying "FAKE"... have either of you guys got a reliable link?? I'm not interested in selling my footage or using it to try and get a red bull sponsorship. I just want a camera to catch a bit of the action and more importantly, the slips, trips, falls and failures Smile) snowHead
ski holidays
letsgetpiste wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
hawkwind wrote:

me too.

The links and listings for the SJ4000 vary wildly with a lot of people crying "FAKE"... have either of you guys got a reliable link?? I'm not interested in selling my footage or using it to try and get a red bull sponsorship. I just want a camera to catch a bit of the action and more importantly, the slips, trips, falls and failures Smile) snowHead

You'd be better off with the Xiaomi Yi from Gearbest to be honest ($62). The SJ4000 is a good action cam but dated now. The Yi has the same hardware as the GoPros: http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_153557.html and can be tuned to give very high bitrates and 2.3K footage. It has a very good ecosystem with mounts, spare lenses etc. This forum has a lot of info: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/xiaomi.153/
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
Trouble with helmet mounts are you turn and move your head a lot. I think a chest mount gives a more stable imagine. I put a mount on the end of my ski pole for filming my son. You can also face it the other way and film yourself. Figure I'm carrying the pole anyway and its less conspicuous than carrying a selfie pole.

I`m not a great skier and when i watch the footage from the chesty cam it makes me feel sick! I move my chest from side to side way too much. A helmet mount would be much better for me if i did a lot of filming.

I mainly use my gopro for photography, it really takes great quality pics.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy