Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy my own skis?

Poster: A snowHead
@yorkshirelad, "noleggio" means "rental" - I don't think that's the name of the shop Twisted Evil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gazzaredcruiser, If buying your first pair of skis it might be prudent to get some that are all mountain and as you progress add another pair according to your on/ off piste preference. Some valid considerations made about ski carriage as if you pick the wrong airline you can pay more than £100 for taking skis which certainly makes upgrading your ski rentals attractive.

I bought a pair of Head Supershape Titans last season and find that they are simply awesome on and off piste, smash through crud etc. Only downside is that I will not consider putting back on my 'old' pair - other than at Alpe d'huez last Xmas when skiing pebble beach pistes......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't agree that skis are out of date very quickly. Most resorts are still hiring salomon bbr (the whale tail ones) skis, which although they still make them, have not altered much over the years.
I have some k2 extremes which I bought 6 years ago. They paid for themselves after the second holiday, and are still better skis than most I could hire in the resorts (in fact last year, one big shop in Les Gets was still offering these skis as their premium all mountain offering).
It largely comes down to personal preference. I prefer to own my own kit, and feels it's cheaper, my friends would rather hire.
Neither off us is definitively right.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need your own skis for the following reasons:

You will look like a proper skier at the airport - You can also achieve this with a couple of planks of wood in a ski bag - Spend the money on a really expensive ski bag and look an even bigger pro

It will stop you skiing over rocky, dangerous terrain

You can get them out and ski round the village when it skis at home and feel superhuman (You'll look like a knob though)

You can go on internet ski forums and talk about 'my skis'

You can get them services once a year and have an hour conversation a the shop with someone who knows about skiing

Your car will make you look like a skier at the ferry and motorway services attracting the interest of the opposite sex

You won't have to endure a ski hire shop

You can disguise them as a travel cot at Ryanair check in and not pay the £100

You can worry about getting them stolen every time you stop at a piste side bar

You can get them out and lean them against the garage in the summer pretending you're clearing out the garage but ar ereally letting the neighbourhood know you have skis

You can stand and stare at them and run your fingers along in the edges in summer.

I could go on bu the dog'd just chundered and my wife's making go clear it up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Oh, the joy's of a Sunday morning...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Joys
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I seem to have developed a habit of carrying 1 or 2 pairs of skis to a resort and then renting anyway. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 29-11-15 19:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Joys"
Autospell correct on iPhone rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When people ask me if they should buy their own skis, I have one question for them before anything else:

"Can you afford them without worrying about the cost?"

If the answer to that is yes, then all "logic" for buying/not buying is irrelevant; just get them. I've bought 4 sets of skis in the past 10 years and, if I'm honest, I haven't "needed" any of them. But they've been wonderful things to own, and they've all got masses of use (working seasons has helped, as has providing hand-me-downs to up and coming pals). They have also always given me happy memories just from looking at them in their off-season storage place in the spare room; I can walk by my current couple of sets and just smile.

I find it difficult to talk people out of buying their own kit. There's more than often no financial reason to have your own stuff but I'm a complete sucker for having your own. Avoiding the rental shops is an added bonus.

Cameron Phillips assertion that "it will stop you skiing over rocky, dangerous terrain" is complete twaddle though Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Mollerski, Stöckli or Stoeckli are both correct....

Oekay. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

You will look like a proper skier at the airport - You can also achieve this with a couple of planks of wood in a ski bag - Spend the money on a really expensive ski bag and look an even bigger pro

You can get them out and ski round the village when it skis at home and feel superhuman (You'll look like a knob though)

You can get them services once a year and have an hour conversation a the shop with someone who knows about skiing

Your car will make you look like a skier at the ferry and motorway services attracting the interest of the opposite sex

You can get them out and lean them against the garage in the summer pretending you're clearing out the garage but ar ereally letting the neighbourhood know you have skis

You can stand and stare at them and run your fingers along in the edges in summer.

Were we separated at birth?! Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You don't need your own skis, hiring involves no hassle getting the skis to the resort in one piece, if you're skiing once or twice a year then there's nothing in it for costs.

Plus

If you have a bad day then you can blame the sh*t hire skis but on your own skis it's a reason to buy the n+1 pair of skis which if get really desperate you end up paying resort prices for new skis.

The big decision is buying the first pair after that it's just downhill Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But if you don't buy your own there's every chance they won't match your attire . . .this is a serious confidence killer and will make your skiing worse - fact . . . . wink Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

This is not correct, having your own skis does not mean you need to clean up dog sick. But the rest sounds right.

[quote="under a new name"]
@Mollerski, Stöckli or Stoeckli are both correct....

I'll let you know what they actually say on them when I lovely unwrap mine from their summer hibernation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think it's all in the umlaut! Not sure how you type o-umlaut in windows, so 'oe' is the accepted alternative AFAIK.
ski holidays
Yep that sounds like the reason for the oe variation to me.
snow report
Must be, the website is:

http://www.stoeckli.ch/ch-de/

But there its "Stockli" with the umlaut over the o.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy