Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tip/Tail/Waist combinatons and ratios

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know some actual ski designers? Who are they, where are they hiding and why are they not famous?
Be nice to get a few on here to explain their choice of dimensions (not the marketing fluff).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some interesting info on >Ski builders.com<
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
...boring caveat ...in the right circumstances with the right skills wink
wink You know that I agree with the caveat and I could have equally posted a video of Ligety stivoting to set up a killer GS turn, or Bode displaying an awesome drift n' lock from an impossibly back seat stance. But McConkey, Ligety and Bode all have (or rather sadly had) awesome ski skills and could adapt those to suit conditions in ways that the vast, vast majority of skiers would not be able to do. I'm pretty sure that if I asked those three god-like skiers to demo clean, linked carved turns on a moderate blue piste, and find grip above the fall-line in a short radius turn they'd probably do a good job. There is a very small proportion of skiers who are quite new to the sport who can do that, and plenty of people who have skied for years who would also struggle to do those tasks with precision. Being on the wrong skis makes it harder to develop those skills, and easy to reinforce bad habits.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Is a really interesting example. It isn't that far from 140/112/120 and indeed they ski quite similarly in most conditions. The main difference between the two is the dramatic difference in the performance of the tail. The first (the Whitedot Ranger/R108) is only 3mm wider in the tail than the waist than the second (the Lhasa Pow) but that additional 3mm makes an enormous difference to the performance of the ski. While you can't really feel the tail of the 186 Lhasa on firm snow, you can really feel the tail of the R108. It is surprising how a tiny difference makes an enormous difference to the feel of the ski.

Interesting - now compare the 11mm waist/tail difference of the rangers with the 25mm difference of the prophets and 27mm difference of the stormriders. You can see why those skis need more care (and skill/feel) around the transition in deep snow but also why they will take much more powerful carving on firmer snow without breaking away
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy