Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When do you know that you need new skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Sorry if this has been done before but I need to try and put my mind at rest or else focus my thoughts and research. Hope that the following makes some kind of sense.

I'm a 'recreational' female skier of maturing age. I average 3 weeks a year in Europe or Scotland, though would love to do more if I can. I'll ski in any conditions, love long wide blue to reds, not a great fan of the mega steep though I can if I have to. Pretty much all on piste but only becasue I don't have skis that will cope with real powder (I maybe would like to do more deep stuff by the sides of te pistes but if I go for real powder/off-piste then it'll be a new or ire set of skis for sure, just for that).

Been ski-ing for many years, don't think that I'm too bad (advanced intermediate idjut???) and probably most let down or held back by many, many years of badly-fitting, mainly sloppy boot problems (just spent a horrendous amount on custom boots/liner to be what I really really hope will finally solve the problem - please... Madeye-Smiley ) - and also never, for health reasons, being as stunningly fit or strong as I ought to be. Having said that, whilst I don't have a lot of stamina for long runs all in one, I am, I'm told, pretty aggressive when I ski, love the edges, love short turns and slalom, love carving (not that I exactly know how to do it proper-like...) . I am however not a great speed freak and don't ever intend to be. I'm not slow, and I'm getting faster as my confidence grows on steeper stuff, etc: but I like to stay within my limits.

My current skis (152 Mag 4 Elans) are the only make which I've ever owned, although I've skied various common hire skis in the earlier days. My Elans which are described as "easy to handle, versatile, forgiving, responsive, durable... designed for recreational beginners to advanced intermediates. I love them to bits!!! (I actually started at a shorter length and tighter radius and went onto these a couple of years ago, which took a bit of getting used to but had improved my ski-ing quite a bit now). They're 114-70-110 r11.8 (I think), basic cambered carving style.

I can't really as such find fault with my Elans, but I don't know if that's because they're really pretty good skis for me (were or still are) or I've just adapted to them or because I don't know much different... They've certainly taken me everywhere that my confidence or leg strength will let me go, and they've got me out of some "aaaaagh I'm not gonna make this" moments when I really think that they and I should have let go or ended up in a horrible heap. They will grip and move on anything from slush and a tad of deep/powder to groomed to ice and hard artificial crap. I keep thinking that they're heavy to carry, but then I've hefted a lot of oters in shops and they're not. They seem to be stiffer than many skis I see/bend in shops, and sometimes I wonder if they're taking a bit more leg/muscle work than I would perhaps ideally like to give them; but then again probably if I went for a more 'advanced' ski then they'd be stiffer still?

I know that one answer is to go and hire skis, except that when I've tried this, apart from being costly, they've have very very few skis in to try, and even fewer women's ones: Cloud 9's seem about the only one available and whilst they've had good reviews I'm iffy about the lack of wood core and durability. There's noting tat I've seen of interest to try at the Manchester CF slope either, even if I did want to buy (at least, there wasn't to earlier this year).

So: how do you know when and if you've outgrown your skis? My feeling is that I need some 'better' skis now, but I can't say why, never mind what I need. Is this just me wanting some new toys for the sake of spending money? (Yet I do love my existing ones... But...) Or would having some new skis really help me, and how/why? If so, what type of ski should I aim for if so: a more advanced/expert ski, a faster ski (I would like to go a bit faster, but not aiming at race speeds!), a more all-mountain ski (but I don't want to go any larger radius than 12, certainly), a more modern one in terms of camber/rocker, constructon etc, a stiffer one, a lighter one (including possibly not wood core, though I'm iffy on that), etc, etc. Puzzled

Oh, and do I really need a woman's ski (I'm going to be honest here, some of them really are just way too horrible colour/cosmetically even to contemplate) or would a man's one do (they don't seem to do so many unisex anymore)?

I'm assuming that if I get 'better' skis I'll have to buy new unless someone can point me in the direction of some 2nd hands ones or something which I might pick up on EB (a lot of what I'd like never seem to come up there) or elsewhere.
I've done a fair bit of researching what's around and come up with a few possible ones that I might buy given what's been said about them - but I don't know if it's worth it or if I just stick with my Elans: and for how much longer? How long will they actually last if I keep them edged and waxed?
Also, a lot of the skis stated as suiting the advanced intermediate upwards seem not to perform so well at lower speeds, so might I even be wasting my money or time there, going backwards in terms of ski response?

Many thanks for any input, pointers, etc.

G x.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Grizzler. I personally don't think female-specific skis are a must-have. Well, neither of my pairs are women's skis, anyway! If you broadened your selection to the "men's" skis in a hire shop or demo pool then that would give you some more variety to try. Where are you planning on skiing this winter? Many ski rental places have a lowest common denominator selection, but not all. People may be able to recommend a shop which keeps a more interesting range.

To answer your specific question... I'm sure you could keep skiing quite happily on your Elans for a while yet, but you don't sound like you're a "recreational beginner to advanced intermediate". A more advanced ski would demand more precision from you, but would give you more performance, power and stability. You say that you ski 'within your limits' - a better ski might extend your limits. I've never really understood what the reviews mean when they say a ski "doesn't perform so well at lower speeds" since a skilled skier should be able to manage just fine at low speeds, but it's true that an advanced ski could be unforgiving of mistakes from a beginner.

If it were me, I think I'd hire some 'premium' skis and spend some time with a more experienced skier (perhaps an instructor), getting some advice from them when they can see you ski.

There's also the question of what size to try. You're on 152s at the moment. I'm 5'4'', 68kg and I ski on 162s. You'll probably want something less than that, but perhaps more than you'd think. Again, getting some advice and trying a variety would help you decide.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. That's one for the new skis then.

Maybe I'll try the mens' section - although often it's very much "race" or "fast piste" or beginner type skis, and of a very limited brand/size/sidecut selection, certainly in hire options where I go. (The ever-patient - honest - OH and I spend an inordinate amount of time cruising the ski shops every evening!)

Whilst precision isn't really an issue, I do want the ability to be able to ski in an easy, lazy and effortless way when I need to. I definitely don't want something which I'll constantly have to work and be super-precise with all of the time: the body and stiffening body will not thank me for that, nor for any increased weight and ski stiffness (whether with mens' skis or just more advanced skis in general).

Lately, I tend to ski in Austria (Mayrofen, Kaprun/Zell or wherever else there's a cheap package going). Off to Finland too (Pyha): don't expect huge selection there, but you never know. Hopefully there'll be another trip on the cards to Austria or Italy, don't yet know where. Scotland is also possible if they have a better/different selection (I suspect that they might!).

From what I've read I do fancy either some of the modern Elans, a couple of the latest K2s (womens) or maybe the Head Joys (various types, though again the non wood issue?) There's a few others too - but I've not seen any of them for sale either in the UK (where they can be tested) or where I've been in Europe, and those in Europe I can't find any reviews or information on in the UK. (Atomic Cloud 9 excepted.)

Sadly, when I've had lessons, they've really not wanted to give any advice on equipment (type or size or suitability), which was a right shame given all the time I've wasted with cr*p boots and how badly I now realise they're non-assisted me. I find in a lot of resorts that both the gear shops and the instructors are (maybe understandably) just putting the tourists through the standard week's holiday mill and waving hello at the next lot of money-laden suckers (no offence to any who are more dedicated, of course).

Size: 152 is the right quoted size for Elans for my 5ft 5" height (somewhere between 9 and 10 stone, whatever that translates as - and varies). On 'classic' measurements, about 155-158 is probbaly right? It depends on make though, I guess.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When they bring out a new model Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timberwolf wrote:
When they bring out a new model Happy

Sorry, did say that I was an idjut. wink
New model by whom? (And what's the point that you're really trying to make, please?)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Head Super Joy sound nice! They've got graphene in them which means strong but not heavy. I wouldn't get hung up on wood core vs not. These fancy modern materials are pretty good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, I do apologise, it was a completely facetious comment, with my point being that I always want new skis 😎🎿
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
N + 1 --> S - 1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Grizzler, I'm much the same size and weight as you and my current skis are 158. I have retreated from a good few years on 163s, being elderly...... However, I'd agree with @Maireadoconnor about the benefits of skiing with an instructor. There are instructors who will be much more focussed on your needs than you describe - maybe you should go for a specific ski-coaching holiday (with your OH too of course if that appeals).

If you've only just got properly fitted boots maybe focus on getting used to them, first - should make a big difference to your precision.

People (including me Embarassed ) are much too ready to buy new skis to fix problems. I see excellent French skiers of all ages and sizes skiing round on positively antique skis, in my neck of the French woods, or they just rent the first pair they are given. The Brits obsess endlessly about a few more or less centimetres here or there, binding forward or back, more or less tip/tail rocker (and of course, buying that go-faster jacket....).

Unless money is no object (in which case, definitely get some new skis!) it might be better spent on really top quality instruction. Not just the local ski school group lessons.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler, ..... Every third Tuesday! Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Way back when i did some small group stuff out of la grave, was very pleased to get an email from the guide later that year strongly reccomending a new ski for me.
He was down in chile trying out some next years test models. Now we had tried a few skis in the spring and he new i was unsure but i was impressed and thankful.
They were a good ride for next few years too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers wrote:

Thanks, looks like its time for shopping Happy

(a 7th pair wouldnt bee too excessive would it Shocked )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Head Super Joy sound nice! They've got graphene in them which means strong but not heavy. I wouldn't get hung up on wood core vs not. These fancy modern materials are pretty good.

Well now, that's interesting re: Grizzler. My wife pretty well fits her profile and for years she insisted on pretty but shitty boots. So what I did was throw the boots away then tell her she needed new boots which I paid for of course. Then when she skied she was taken aback by how how much more control she had, but I could see that her skis were flapping around. So the next year (last year) I bought some Head Super Joys which she didn't know anything about until they came out of the Skitube in Italy in Jan 2015. Now I know she can ski better than the skis but a light easy to use ski like them is exactly what she *likes* and wants to use. Oh, and we have grandchildren btw wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 24-11-15 22:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
@Grizzler, maybe you should go for a specific ski-coaching holiday
Decent idea - never really heard of such a thing except 'packaged lessons' - can you enlighten me? And how much? Were? Who?

pam w wrote:
@Grizzler, with your OH too of course if that appeals).
- appeals, if not a given necessity. Unfortunately, he only skis on one very fat plank and stands sideways whilst doing it... Little Angel

pam w wrote:
@Grizzler, If you've only just got properly fitted boots maybe focus on getting used to them, first - should make a big difference to your precision.
I agree; it'll be interesting to see if I really have outgrown my beloved Elans then...

pam w wrote:
@Grizzler, people.. much too ready to buy new skis to fix problems. I see excellent French skiers on positively antique skis
OK, so is that then back to the skis which I have are going to be OK for a good while longer?

pam w wrote:
@Grizzler, money might be better spent on really top quality instruction. Not just the local ski school group lessons.
Good point again - but where do I find said really good and helpful instructors? I'm usually in Austria, but can book other resorts or maybe Italy (just the cheapest/easiest to be accommodated in resorts and packages, which is how I find it easiest to do it... Sad, I know) - or, weather permitting, could get up to Scotland? Also, prices I've seen of instruction, the skis are a lot cheaper! I've been very disappointed to date with any lessons (individual not group) which I've booked with various in-resort schools (not those recommedned by a tour operator necessarily). Ditto indoor slope ones. Really do all seem just to have a standard speil for everyone who's a Brit (I've heard and seen them teaching others too & it's all much of a muchness, not really tailored/individualised. Maybe I've just been unlucky?)
Seriously, pointers/recommendations welcome.
Smile
latest report
PS - I LOVE that chart!
Looks like I need some new skis, then...
Do you have the next chart which tells you which ones to buy? snowHead
snow report
Also bear in mind that when you read a description of a ski, it's been written by a marketing person, so when they say 'advanced/expert' you can take that with a pinch of salt. I've seen experts, and they don't buy their gear from Ellis Brigham and Snow and Rock like the mortals do wink
snow report
I love that chart too! But I mustn't buy any skis right now. Mustn't mustn't.

Pam w and I have both had lots of great instruction from http://www.insideoutskiing.com
ski holidays
Quote:

it's all much of a muchness

well, the prescriptions (and the things we all tend to do wrong) do have a certain sameyness to them. But a good instructor will give you tailored feedback - video feedback is particularly useful, so you can see for yourself exactly what's happening!

I have no idea whether you need new skis or not, of course. But I do know that there are lots of problems not fixed by new skis. wink

It's a shame skis aren't like musical instruments. I remember my flute teacher wondering whether a problem I had with higher notes was because I had a crap flute. So she tried mine..... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Sounded simply wonderful. (I was a beginner, and she was kind enough to say that it wasn't a great flute, but the moral of the story was plain to see).

Inside Out skiing is excellent - have a look at their website - maybe you could go on one of their holidays? Could you get to Hemel for some of the Inside sessions - could get a feel for their approach.

Have you never considered taking up snowboarding, with the OH?
wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Have you never considered taking up snowboarding, with the OH? wink

Actually, after the last 2 years of constant tantrums over the *****-ing boots, I actually did get some snowboarding lessons, bought a board and boots and went several times to the indoor slope and did a couple of days on the piste. Kind of fun, potentially - if I could somehow catch up every year that he's spent learning to board whilst I've ben trying to learn to ski...
Trouble is, it just ain't ski-ing! I can't see myself ripping down anything near what I can do on skis - and apparently they ain't so good in moguls??? And it's also damn painful (which, at my age, never mind with musculo-skeletal problems already, definitely ain't so much fun - even with every bit of my body possibly padded up ).
It is still the backstop if I have to give up ski-ing because of the boot issue: but I'm invoking every possible deity to hope that it doesn't happen. I will try and get better at boarding anyway, but I am at heart a skier. snowHead
snow report
pam w wrote:
video feedback is particularly useful, so you can see for yourself exactly what's happening!
Shocked God, no! My bum would look far too big in that! Very Happy

pam w wrote:
Inside Out skiing is excellent Could you get to Hemel for some of the Inside sessions
Thanks. I'll have a look at IO. No, Hemel is too far for me. Is there anything up Manchester (Chilfactore) or perhaps Leeds (I live nr Sheffield) way?
snow conditions
You'll be so busy looking at what your lower legs and skis are doing, you won't notice the bum. In fact one course I did, they only videod the legs and skis - we all had black salopettes but the instructor knew exactly whose legs were whose. That was the outfit now known as Inspired to Ski - another one to have a look at, maybe.
ski holidays
Black Friday is coming - the way glisshop keep putting offers on this week they must have a good ski bargain this week
ski holidays
@Grizzler, back to your original question.

I binned a pair of skis, with some disappointment as they had been truly awesome when new, but they'd started losing grip unless in perfect shape, then I ran out of edge to sharpen and base to grind.

When there's physically not enough ski left to service, that's when you definitely need new ones.

Your problem is more whether you've "outgrown" your skis in skillz. A good instructor/coach will be able to give you guidance on that.

I would defo not do anything until you've tried and got used to your new boots.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Grizzler, back to your original question. Your problem is more whether you've "outgrown" your skis in skillz. A good instructor/coach will be able to give you guidance on that. I would defo not do anything until you've tried and got used to your new boots.

Yes - I think that I'm tryng to learn the art of buying patience (oh joy, sales and Black Friday deals to test my willpower... Laughing ).

Lessons are on the cards IF I can find an instructor whom I feel will really be helpful in assessing my skills, failings and likely progress - it'll have to be Chill Factore Manchester (anyone recommend anyone there?) - although indoor isn't my ideal venue - or on next trip to Kaprun/Zell am See (ditto any recommendations?)

I agree that my boots do need to get properly sorted and got used to, and my stance and weight and joint-bending aspects re-practiced. I wouldn't think of getting new skis until this has occurred - but the ski-buying season does seem very short these days, certainly as regards certain sizes and/or models.
I've got plans to go to the snow dome soon, but experience tells me that it's not always anything like real piste life, never mind at any decent altitude (which for me does seem to bring its own boot issues, never mind extremes of cold or sun).
I have already noticed just around the house that the new boots encourage a lot more (or an easier) forward stance and shin contact, and hopefully they will finally stop my terribly-narrow heels and mid-feet sliding around on every bump or unweight. I hope and pray that I will suddenly discover that I am or have the potential to be a lot better a skier than I think - but at that point, and in that hope, back to the original question...!
snow report
@Grizzler, good grief! your heels and feet should not be sliding around in your boots. more or less at all.

held firmly, snuggly but jot uncomfortably is what they should be... Shocked
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Grizzler, good grief! your heels and feet should not be sliding around in your boots. more or less at all.

Respectfully, you think that I didn't work that out back in, oh, 2004 when I first started ski-ing seriously ??!
To be fair, I can't get a set of walking or mountaineering or tactical boots (even cowboys or fashion ankle boots) that anywhere near fit without many additional layers of customised insoles and at least 2 layers of thick everyday socks plus laces wrapped around ankles, etc.

So far I've been through many multi-layered socks of varying thicknesses (with one set of boots it did actually solve it on the foot, but left the calf area still too big), paddings everywhere in and out, extra straps, custom footbeds, 3 sets of allegedly-suitable boots, 2 sets of foam-injected liners, countless footbeds (podiatry/ortho, boot fitter and shop), relocated buckles, several boot fitters and specialist shops and... yeah, well Sad Just paid out humungous amount of money on a pair of Stroltz specially-reduced liners and shells. Really, really, really hoping that finally.....

On the plus side, it can help you really know where your balance is and what's happening in your foot, etc. Prefer to have spent the time just happily and easily ski-ing, though.
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Respectfully, you think that I didn't work that out back in, oh, 2004 when I first started ski-ing seriously ??!
To be fair, I can't get a set of walking or mountaineering or tactical boots (even cowboys or fashion ankle boots) that anywhere near fit without many additional layers of customised insoles and at least 2 layers of thick everyday socks plus laces wrapped around ankles, etc.

So far I've been through many multi-layered socks of varying thicknesses (with one set of boots it did actually solve it on the foot, but left the calf area still too big), paddings everywhere in and out, extra straps, custom footbeds, 3 sets of allegedly-suitable boots, 2 sets of foam-injected liners, countless footbeds (podiatry/ortho, boot fitter and shop), relocated buckles, several boot fitters and specialist shops and... yeah, well Sad Just paid out humungous amount of money on a pair of Stroltz specially-reduced liners and shells. Really, really, really hoping that finally.....

On the plus side, it can help you really know where your balance is and what's happening in your foot, etc. Prefer to have spent the time just happily and easily ski-ing, though.

That's really awful. Sad

Perhaps you should take all this information plus as much of the assorted 'stuff' that you've tried and the new stuff and go and see CEM in Bicester. If you've already seen him then I really don't know what to suggest. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grizzler, what size (and shape) feet do you have? have I missed something?
latest report
My wife bought new skis last year after doing a couple of demo days at Braehead where she skied almost all the woman's skis. The Volkl Allura came out the clear favourite. Great step up from her previous Salomon Skylites. The Volkls are good quality wood cored piste skis and it sounds like they might well suit you.

If you can get to a demo day or find a retailer like Ellis Brigham with a demo fleet it's worth trying out beginner/intermediate/advanced from the same range. You'll feel right away what the differences are between the levels and you'll know which ones suit you best.
snow conditions
When your Rice Krispies tell you.
ski holidays
Sorry, duplicate post! It told me that it hadn't posted then posted twice Sad

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 26-11-15 10:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Grizzler wrote:

pam w wrote:
Inside Out skiing is excellent Could you get to Hemel for some of the Inside sessions
Thanks. I'll have a look at IO. No, Hemel is too far for me. Is there anything up Manchester (Chilfactore) or perhaps Leeds (I live nr Sheffield) way?

There's Snozone at Xscape in Castleford which would be nearer and easier to get to than Manchester. Brighams also let you demo skis so you could try a few to see how you feel, you just have to leave your passport or driving license. The only downside is that Snozone is more expensive than Chil. There are the normal lessons there, development coaching (including a Ladies night on Sundays) and also a new 'plough to parallel' day.

I'm afraid that I'm in the N+1 camp when it comes to skis ... I've got my eye on a new pair at the moment Very Happy
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
I can't really as such find fault with my Elans, but I don't know if that's because they're really pretty good skis for me (were or still are) or I've just adapted to them or because I don't know much different... They've certainly taken me everywhere that my confidence or leg strength will let me go, and they've got me out of some "aaaaagh I'm not gonna make this" moments when I really think that they and I should have let go or ended up in a horrible heap. They will grip and move on anything from slush and a tad of deep/powder to groomed to ice and hard artificial crap. I keep thinking that they're heavy to carry, but then I've hefted a lot of oters in shops and they're not. They seem to be stiffer than many skis I see/bend in shops, and sometimes I wonder if they're taking a bit more leg/muscle work than I would perhaps ideally like to give them; but then again probably if I went for a more 'advanced' ski then they'd be stiffer still?

So: how do you know when and if you've outgrown your skis? My feeling is that I need some 'better' skis now, but I can't say why, never mind what I need. Is this just me wanting some new toys for the sake of spending money? (Yet I do love my existing ones... But...) Or would having some new skis really help me, and how/why? If so, what type of ski should I aim for if so: a more advanced/expert ski, a faster ski (I would like to go a bit faster, but not aiming at race speeds!), a more all-mountain ski (but I don't want to go any larger radius than 12, certainly), a more modern one in terms of camber/rocker, constructon etc, a stiffer one, a lighter one (including possibly not wood core, though I'm iffy on that), etc, etc. Puzzled

If your current skis can't be faulted for what you ski now I'd say that you only really need new (or additional) skis if you want to change the skiing that you do. You sound as if your Elans do a good job of your (mostly?) piste skiing, so why not demo a pair of skis more suited to off-piste skiing and see how you get on with them? It doesn't really matter the exact ski that you try, just make sure it's in a different category to the Elans. Perhaps something 90-95mm underfoot, perhaps with a radius of 16-20m. That will give you a good feel for how skis change from one category to another, and you shouldn't be restricted in your choice as you are not trying to demo a specific ski, just something different from what you are normally on.

I'll echo the comments above about getting your feet in the right boots and yourself in front of the right instructor, both of which I think make a bigger impact on a skier's skills and enjoyment that the search for the perfect ski.
ski holidays
Teekay wrote:
There's Snozone at Xscape in Castleford which would be nearer and easier to get to than Manchester. Brighams also let you demo skis so you could try a few to see how you feel...

Thanks. Castleford actually a lot further and longer drive than Trafford (Manchester).

Someone else also suggested Ellis Brig for demo skis so I'll look into.
Annoyingly, I found out that Snow & Rock have a demo day today (I think) at Manchester, but sadly I have a once-a-month working engagement which I just can't change, Sad otherwise it'd kill 2 birds vis a vis boot testing trip as well (f=planed for thsi weekend if the persistent grotty cold allows)
ski holidays
@rob@rar, One of my best learning experiences, many years ago, in the dreadful winter of 89-90 we didn't want to host on our own skis and the shop we used would not (quite reasonably) rent us anything. So he dug into his basement and I spent two weeks hosting on a pair of all wood Rossi somethings in 175 cms with screw on bindings...(having been used to 203 race skis)...
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
If your current skis can't be faulted for what you ski now I'd say that you only really need new (or additional) skis if you want to change the skiing that you do.
I'll echo the comments above about getting your feet in the right boots and yourself in front of the right instructor, both of which I think make a bigger impact on a skier's skills and enjoyment that the search for the perfect ski.

Yeees... But I guess that the original question really said it all: I think that my existing Elans are good enough, and I certainly can't per se fault them, and I am very fond of them, but at the same time I do have an inkling that they're getting a bit basic for me in some way, perhaps holding me back or not challenging me any more, and that's why I asked if and how you can tell this.
I also really need to decide whether at this stage in my life and circumstances I'm that bothered about getting much better in terms of speed, steepness and so on, or whether I just spend my time and money enjoying pootling around more (I think a bit of both - unless I can move to somewhere where I can ski a lot more... ).

Of course, as I've previously agreed, instructors and demo-ing are the way to go, and on the cards - but it's just a little not so easy to do this when you don't have so much access to these facilities, even when it is eating into your (and OH's) precious and expensive holiday time (again, if only I could live where I could ski all winter; ideas???)

I do also very much agree, as previously said, that my boots do need to get properly sorted and got used to before any skis are bought, and I need to see how they work with my existing skis on the fervent hope that the new boots will finally be good ones and allow me to ski as well as I think I might be able to. If not then, well, I guess it's back to learning snowboarding...
I don't intend to get new skis until this has occurred - but the ski-buying season does seem very short these days, certainly as regards certain sizes and/or models, and my mind is also just 'buzzing' away with confusion and questions, so I need to try and settle it with some ideas if it comes to deciding that I do want to buy something new for the early 2016 trips or in preparation for late 2016-early 2017.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@rob@rar, One of my best learning experiences, many years ago, in the dreadful winter of 89-90 we didn't want to host on our own skis and the shop we used would not (quite reasonably) rent us anything. So he dug into his basement and I spent two weeks hosting on a pair of all wood Rossi somethings in 175 cms with screw on bindings...(having been used to 203 race skis)...

Yes - I agree again from other areas of my life that trying as many different things as possible and having to cope with whatever you've got to and (bad workman blames tools etc) if a great learning experience in many ways. If the opportunity and time is there, I'm all for it.

In fact, it's probably therefore a very good arguement for going back to hiring skis for a few holidays at this stage of my ski-ing skills, rather than taking my own. (Even if it's wasted money in terms of not intending to buy those particular makes/models, but it gives more of an idea perhaps.)

Are there, to your knowledge, any resorts which would have hire shops which would be able to offer me a good range of good quality/premium (i.e. not beginners/low intermed) skis of varying types? These resorts would have to be cheapish and available on package tours, preferably not too busy, not bothered about apres and the like, nor necessarily huge long steep runs (nice wide long-ish reds & blues rather appeal at the moment!) - just good snow. I tend to go to Austria, fancy Italy though; others are possible. As previously said, I am finding that the Austrian shops are very very limited in the hire selection/range and all stock exactly the same skis.
snow conditions
@Grizzler, to be honest, it sounds to me like your current skis are the right ones for you. I don't think there's an unambiguous signal that you'll know that they're no longer suitable. Perhaps a vague sense of unease that they are not supporting you when you ski hard and fast, the ski bending too much when you are making high speed turns, etc. IMO the main reason for buying skis is to add more versatility to your ski quiver rather than replacing your skis with something similar but "better".
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
Annoyingly, I found out that Snow & Rock have a demo day today (I think) at Manchester, but sadly I have a once-a-month working engagement which I just can't change, Sad otherwise it'd kill 2 birds vis a vis boot testing trip as well (f=planed for thsi weekend if the persistent grotty cold allows)

They do? I hadn't heard about that, and I was at ChillFactore last night! (btw one of their drag lifts is broken, so very bad queues at the moment)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy