Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another Travel Insurance Question - This time for my beloved equipment

Poster: A snowHead
A question for the powerful combined Snowheads brain

Travel insurance! Not fussed about myself, I can find plenty of insurance for me on and off piste, but what I cant find is enough cover for my beloved equipment!

So a little about 'my toys'

My Sport tube will contain my Preachers, Cl108's and head Titans, all totalling circa £2250 inc the sport tube

My bag will contain all my shells, layers, ABS, some clothing and the odd thong all totalling circa £3000

I cant seem to find insurance that will cover that level of luggage should it be lost / stollen in transit, at the airport etc etc

I know BA cover upto £1000, but thats not even going to touch the sides.

About my own needs (who cars as long of my gears protected) I ski 50/50 on/off piste. Off piste is mainly with a guide.

Thoughts anyone?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

stollen in transit

you take a picnic too????
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PaulC1984, could your household policy cover your stuff away from home?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

stollen in transit

Well on last years bash, I loaded my gear on the one coach, to then be shifted onto another coach. We departed and my gear didnt arrive on the other coach until 4+ hours later....... anything could have happened as the second coach didnt just contain snowheads rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells wrote:
@PaulC1984, could your household policy cover your stuff away from home?

It does but only upto £1000, and I suspect I would be playing ping pong between insurance companies if they found out I was on hols
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PaulC1984, my cover (with Aviva) is better than that I'm sure. You can exclude personal possessions from your travel policy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PaulC1984, be careful, a lot of policies only cover ski equipment at wear and tear and after 5 years you get nowt. I stopped insuring until this year when I've bought new skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx,

Thanks. 2 set of skis are brand new, 1 set a year old and all my shells, tech clothing, abs etc is all brand new.

Scary carrying 5k plus of brand new kit, I have pretty poor luck when it comes to stuff getting lost of knicked Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe you need to carry less stuff wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
Maybe you need to carry less stuff wink

Pffft don't be so stupid Happy

I keep telling the wife we need to buy a place abroad to save me having to carry so much stuff, but she has a silly plan of a bigger house in the UK first Mad Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PaulC1984, all sounds pretty crap, the OH and I ran up and were reimbursed a £600 bill just covering clothing for a delayed bag once...

(said policy no longer exists, I wonder why)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hate doing this, but have you looked at the SCGB platinum policy http://www.secure-travelinsurance.co.uk/b2c/documents/RTWSC40081_Plat_V5.pdf
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
probably still not enough though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PaulC1984, Check if your home insurer will cover them as specified personal belongings.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowcard is £3k max for equipment inc ABS plus £3k baggage for clothing etc
snow report
larry1950 wrote:
@PaulC1984, Check if your home insurer will cover them as specified personal belongings.

Probably not a bad shout although I insured my guitars last year as individual items but it specified for uk only, so I suspect it will be the same.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Snowcard is £3k max for equipment inc ABS plus £3k baggage for clothing etc

That's sounding more like it, thanks. I'm sure there will be a catch though Happy

Any experience with snowcard?
snow conditions
there will probably be a maximum per item which will be the catch.
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, i had a medical claim for €5k..settled in 5 minutes no quibble. Also had good corresspondence with Russell Dadson, the owner, over a query another time. you could email him and ask

edit: the small print from the policy - that suggests to me that non-hire equipment can be covered for whatever its worth. I'd check with Russell

SNOWSPORT/ACTIVITY/DIVE/GOLF
EQUIPMENT; UP TO THE AMOUNT SHOWN ON
THE INSURANCE SCHEDULE
Subject to the appropriate premium having been paid
you will be covered for the replacement cost (after
allowing for wear, tear and loss of value) of your
snowsport equipment (snowboard or skis including
bindings, boots and poles), activity equipment, dive
or golf equipment if it is lost, stolen or damaged. The
total limit for hired equipment which is lost, stolen or
damaged is £500.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 23-11-15 22:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@holidayloverxx,

Thanks very much, very helpful. I'll email them and report back.

I cant be the only snowhead with that issue (or perhaps others don't worry about their kit so much wink )
snow report
circa £3000 worth of stuff not including skis? What the hell are you taking?
ski holidays
Lol. Abs 450, my ortovox jacket and pants are 1k, my ortovox mid layers, gillet etc come to Circa 500, arcteryx shell, and the list goes on. Its all,needed btw especially my expensive thongs! Happy wink
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, I think a key thing is to make sure your ski clothing is insured as baggage and not as ski equipment. Policies seem to differ in what they are offering.
snow conditions
Quote:

I cant be the only snowhead with that issue

Well, my ski clothing, including thongs, is probably worth about £500. And that's when it was new! I'd hate to lose the ski pants I bought in a sale 3 years ago for £80 though. Or the £16 merinos from Aldi. Or my Decathlon mid layers. wink
snow report
@pam w, haha behave Happy. Surely you need to spend some more money to make you ski better! Get some bogner in your life, that should do the trick Happy
snow report
@PaulC1984, it's a bit like driving a new car out of the showroom and immediately losing 20%, only much much worse. They'll write down the value sharply and then there is the excess to consider, which would probably be per item. On a total loss I calculate you'll get back 43p. You need to have a conversation with your home contents provider who are more likely to do you a new for old and they are more likely to pay out for accidental damage (whereas a travel insurer would be thinking wear and tear). Its a conversation worth having anyway because most people massively underestimate the value of their contents.

By the way you forgot to add in your boots. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know.
latest report
Pruman wrote:
@PaulC1984,
By the way you forgot to add in your boots. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know.

My boots never leave my side, EVER Happy
snow report
Usually for an excess it is per claim not per item. It certainly has been when we've made claims before. Claiming under two different parts of the policy (such as baggage and ski equipment) may carry two excesses.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
Usually for an excess it is per claim not per item. It certainly has been when we've made claims before. Claiming under two different parts of the policy (such as baggage and ski equipment) may carry two excesses.

Snowcard standardly has a £0 excess, you can then put it up to reduce the policy (doesnt reduce it much)
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, Out of interest, how long are you going for?
snow report
22/1 - 7/2
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

stollen in transit

Hahaha...funniest thing I have read today....so far
snow conditions
mayr wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

stollen in transit

Hahaha...funniest thing I have read today....so far
+1
snow report
Its only taken me 24hours to get that joke....... Embarassed Toofy Grin

and now im hungry Very Happy
snow report
@pam w, that brings to mind my ski kit. Jacket is ten years old at least and was £25 end of season from somewhere up the (South Wales) valleys. Women's Mountain Warehouse trousers costing £35 (I have toddy legs and men's ski trousers are 12" too long). Thermals from Lord knows where and when. Gloves £20 from TKMaxx. Helmet and goggles - Christmas presents. Living life in the bus lane....
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Lol. Abs 450, my ortovox jacket and pants are 1k, my ortovox mid layers, gillet etc come to Circa 500, arcteryx shell, and the list goes on. Its all,needed btw especially my expensive thongs! Happy wink
No thong collection, but I just calculated I took £7K+ on my last couple of trips Very Happy

Like yourself, 3 pairs of skis with bindings, poles, a couple of ski jackets/trousers, helmet, thermal layers, down jackets, airbag, full touring/avalanche safety gear, goggles etc. My boots travel with me in my backpack, as everything else can be replaced/substituted in resort to some extent, but my boots can't.

In any case my recommendation is that before you pack, lay everything out and take loads of pictures of it, just in case. A number of adverts on TV recently (Direct Line in particular), mention "You have sent pictures of the items stolen and replacements are on their way". Who has pictures of their skis, boots, clothing etc (we don't need the thongs Shocked)?
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
No thong collection, but I just calculated I took £7K+ on my last couple of trips Very Happy

Like yourself, 3 pairs of skis with bindings, poles, a couple of ski jackets/trousers, helmet, thermal layers, down jackets, airbag, full touring/avalanche safety gear, goggles etc. My boots travel with me in my backpack, as everything else can be replaced/substituted in resort to some extent, but my boots can't.

In any case my recommendation is that before you pack, lay everything out and take loads of pictures of it, just in case. A number of adverts on TV recently (Direct Line in particular), mention "You have sent pictures of the items stolen and replacements are on their way". Who has pictures of their skis, boots, clothing etc (we don't need the thongs Shocked)?

Yay im not alone Happy

I always lay things out and take photos Happy

The best I can find currently is snowcard

They cover 3K baggage (but there is single item limit of £350) and 3K equipment (and there is NO single item limit).

MPI only cover 1K sports equipment, but 4K baggage (with a £400 item limit) which seems back bottom about face to me!

As for my thongs, you'd only get a picture if I was wearing them Laughing Shocked
ski holidays
The sum total of ALL of my ski equipment and clothing cost less than £750 to buy. Only the skis were secondhand, I may treat myself to brand new skis for the first time ever next season...
latest report
I dread to think how much all my ski gear cost. I'm sat here looking at it and there must be over 10ks worth! Scary how it all adds up. Still I don't smoke, drink, or have any other hobbies (well i try to pls guitar) so I'm entitled to get what I want (well that's what I tell myself Happy )
snow conditions
@queen bodecia, as someone brought up in Long Eaton, who says that people from the East Midlands are cheapskates (or do they just love a bargain)..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy