Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best 4 day raid from North East

Poster: A snowHead
As per. Based in NE England - yes I know - where would be the best place for a swift 4 day jaunt?
And can I avoid going to the South East for a flight?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can be at Glenshee in about 4 hours from NE England - though that has all the usual caveats attached to it about Scottish skiing and the need to be flexible / not plan in advance in order to make the most of good weather etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kingofthec... I have a sneaking suspicion, @Maersk, is trying to get out of the country!

I'm not the fountain of knowledge when it comes to resorts, but I'd be leaning towards the shortest possible flight/transfer combo to maximise your holiday time. start there, work backwards till you find a decent airport for the right price!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@letsgetpiste I reckon you're right!

Looks like you can fly direct from Newcastle to Geneva from a cursory glance at Skyscanner, so the standard places like Morzine, Avoriaz, Megeve, Chamonix etc are all within about 60-90 minutes of Geneva so might be a good bet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does the forum automatically create links when you type skyscanner, or do I have some kind of bizarre plugin (or virus) that I'm not aware of?

I didn't make that into a link at all, but has automatically linked to skyscanner, via a strange looking web address.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Maersk, Edinburgh to Salzburg flights and then anywhere within a 2 hour limit gives you plenty of choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kingofthec, it's an autolink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure why you would want to go to edinburgh when you can fly to other places from Newcastle though ? GVA is direct, but you could also fly through Amsterdam to several other destinations, or there is Leeds Bradford.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells, direct flights which is what most people seem to want, although via Amsterdam opens up a whole raft of options
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Maersk, Easyjet to GVA and then one of the cheap transfers to Morzine would be my first option from the NE of England. I have done that trip but also been to Scotland
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Maersk, you want to optimise each step of the process and not waste any time.

direct flights from nearest airport with sensible flight times (late evening or horribly early morning (as you gain an hour it's reasonable to fly in the AM and be at work at a reasonable hour. I used to be at my desk at 09:00 in London having got the first Geneva flight into Gatwick))

shortest transfer

accom in town to maximise skiing and apres wink

Newcastle Geneva is not too bad on way out 06:30 but that still means a lunchtime start. return means at best a lost afternoon.

Edinburgh no better for Geneva unless Winter flight times have changed.

you might actually be better going via somewhere e.g. thru AMS.

obviously, hand luggage only if you can Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KLM and Air France both have a very early flight from Newcastle, and late ones back, but it is the time in the transit airport that will be crucial.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, codeshare?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Newcastle Geneva is not too bad on way out 06:30

If you're going to knacker yourself getting up early you might as well spend an extra £100 and get a full day skiing rather than a half day by taking a late flight the night before
Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, no one of the flights is to AMS the other to CDG.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, so Schiphol with nice beer or CDG with ... ah, maybe they have potable water?
latest report
Can you fly to Munich at sensible times from Newcastle or Edinburgh? That's worth a look
latest report
@Maersk, if your going on your own, the transfer can be expensive, I've done a couple of solo trips, 1st time flew to GVA and transfer to Les Carroz, transfer was about €100 rtn.
2nd trip flew to Salburg and took a train to Zell am See, train was about €40 rtn.
If poss I would look for a late flight out and get to resort ready to ski next day, and then last flight back on last day which will give you the most ski time possible, you should get 3.5 days skiing and only be away 4 nights.
snow conditions
Thanks all. Lots to go at there.....
All required now is decent ..........s***
latest report
Where are you in the north east Maersk??

We're in Stockton. Over the last 15 or 16 years, for trips as short as one night in the Alps and elsewhere (early out, late back, 1.5 days skiing) and for up to three or four nights away, we have used Stansted (3.5hrs drive) for Geneva, Zurich, Munich, Salzburg, Ljubljana, Bergamo, Genoa, Friedrichshafen, Memmingen and Turin; Luton (3.5 hrs) for Geneva and Zurich; Heathrow for Geneva (4hrs); East Midlands (2.5hrs) for Bergamo; Leeds Bradford (under 1hr) for Geneva; Liverpool (2hrs) for Geneva; Newcastle (45 mins) for Geneva and Bergamo; Manchester (2hrs) for Rejkjavic and Munich; and Edinburgh (3hrs) for Munich.

A longer drive in the UK means:
- You can take your pick of the Alps (and beyond).
- You can do a shorter transfer abroad (eg skiing within 30 mins of the airport at Ljubljana - skiing at Krvavec); about 45 -60 mins from Salzburg (eg Gastein Valley, Zauchensee, Flachau etc); and under an hour from Bergamo (Foppolo).
- Cheaper flights.
- Maximum flexibility on duration of trip and departure/arrival times.

We just regard the drive to the airport as part of the hol/trip and have had so many cheap flights by doing it - loads for about £50 return with easyjet and as cheap as £20 return with Ryanair. Others with Jet2 and Thomsonfly (do they still exist?).

Just back from a recent Manchester - Munich three nighter and off from MAN to Geneva for a Tignes two night trip in early Dec.

Actually going from Newcastle (to Geneva) for a week in January - so really looking forward to that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, we recently rediscovered Stansted for a short break to Italy via Turin.
latest report
@mountainaddict, I work in Stockton Little Angel (Preston Farm)

Stansted has the greatest variety of flights and destinations to make a short break work. I have found Austria much easier to arrange short break accommodation than France. As discussed above, some ski Amade resorts are a 40 min transfer and leave great scope for getting a good portion of skiing in. We once left on a 6.05 from MAN and were at Flangesax's place in Radstadt at 10.40 Shocked (sadly that flight is defunct)

Possibly the best flights for a 4 day raid from the NE would be Liverpool - Geneva 7.05 out on a Thursday and Return on the 20.50 on a Sunday. Somewhere near to GVA that you can find part week accommodation e.g Samoens.
ski holidays
Alpe d'Huez seemed to have a lot from the Newcastle when I spent the season there...so check flights to Grenoble. Less than 2 hour transfer to Alpe d'Huez or Deus Alpes!?!

Admit it's not the busiest airport in the week so flight options may not be the most flexible!
snow report
Probably charter flights on Saturday only though. I don't think there is even a charter to Grenoble now.
ski holidays
Quote:
Somewhere near to GVA that you can find part week accommodation e.g Samoens.

Valley towns like Cluses, Sallanches and Moutiers have easy access to some mega resorts - and flexible hotel durations/short stays bookable via the Internet at Hotels.com, Booking.com etc.

Yes Hells Bells, Stansted is definitely worth the travel - all but infinite choice on ski flights!
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, it is a far easier (although longer) drive for us than Manchester. Traffic is usually better. We've left after work on Friday evening, got a hotel and parking deal and left on the early flight the following morning
snow conditions
Hells Bells We've found you can't beat a £29 or £39 room at the nearby Great Dunmow Travelodge! Also sussed out off-airport parking that is only about a mile from the terminal. That's as opposed to the ridiculous 'on airport' parking that is actually about a 10 minute bus ride from the airport - you wonder if you're on the wrong bus at it gathers speed and joins the dual carriageway...

Luton Airport's not a bad run either - cheap Travelodge there too!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy