Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Ski Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a broker or company that offers good cover for any addressing injuries while Off Piste, many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have just taken out policies through MPI brokers (based on recommendations from other snowheads).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
also snowcard and SCGB worth looking at
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went with MPI for my specific needs, based on SH recommendations, but got lots of other great advice too! All here if it helps:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120253&highlight=
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@roche1800, I'very said to you before to do a search. There is a thread running at the moment about insurance with a discount code....as there is most weeks. You'll find loads of good info on insurance if you search
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Holidaylover, can you tell me the company with discount code
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to everyone else
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also see here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2775805&highlight=insurance#2775805
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@roche1800, search "insurance discount code". All words. Not rocket science.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@roche1800, If you cant manage the search on snowheads, you can always use google. Try this 'let me google that for you' link:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Asnowheads.com+insurance+discount+code
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try Austrian Alpine Club - http://aacuk.org.uk
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welshskier wrote:
Try Austrian Alpine Club - http://aacuk.org.uk

AAC membership is excellent value and the insurance covers off piste and much more (e.g. ski touring, hiking/trekking, climbing etc). BUT it is not general holiday insurance, so doesn't cover things like lost bags, delays, cancellation etc.

I now use AAC and have a general purpose policy via my bank which covers the rest. The bank policy does cover skiing but the small print around off piste bothers me (and it won't cover touring or trekking at all), so the AAC takes care of that. Which reminds me, AAC runs to the calendar year so it's time to renew!

One catch with the AAC cover is the limit on medical expenses - it's fine for Europe if you have an EHIC card but would likely not be adequate for N. America.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MPI
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One question I have with using AAC and dovetailing it with normal skiing holiday insurance is that if you have an accident in North America whilst off-piste and have normal skiing holiday insurance, whilst the ACC may cover getting you off the mountain and into hospital, presumably your normal holiday skiing insurance could decline the medical bills as they happened off piste
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I was doing off piste, BMC insurance was impressive - and was not weasel worded.
ski holidays
+1

Best out there IMHO
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
One question I have with using AAC and dovetailing it with normal skiing holiday insurance is that if you have an accident in North America whilst off-piste and have normal skiing holiday insurance, whilst the ACC may cover getting you off the mountain and into hospital, presumably your normal holiday skiing insurance could decline the medical bills as they happened off piste

This would concern me too, for N America I don't think AAC is the best option.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
When I was doing off piste, BMC insurance was impressive - and was not weasel worded.

I'm sure the cover is good, but it's also pretty expensive compared to AAC or quotes via MPI.
latest report
sah wrote:
achilles wrote:

I'm sure the cover is good, but it's also pretty expensive compared to AAC or quotes via MPI.

I had a feeling that if I were in real trouble that I might be glad that I had a policy for which I been more interested quality than price. Each to his or her own. I could find nothing like the cover anywhere else.
snow report
I have the BMC insurance also, and when I did my MCL off-piste they were very helpful, making sure I had everything I needed. You do have to be a BMC member but if you do other activities - Climbing, mountain biking, diving etc like we do it covers everything. Be careful if you are a boarder though as it covers it only in Europe, worldwide is an extra.
latest report
sah wrote:
achilles wrote:

Annual multi-trip policy (45 day maximum each trip) for Europe and Asia (where I'm skiing this winter) is £276.

Tremendous value I think.
latest report
I use MPI and find their coverage very good. Happily haven't had to claim on them yet.
snow conditions
A second for MPI. Used them for my season, watched them deal with a friend who broke a pelvis off-piste, now will not use anyone else. Excellent.
snow report
Thanks everyone for your input, I have made calls to a few!

I specifically want off piste cover without guide without such caveats as, for example:

- agreement from resort manager
- within the designated ski area
- providing it is safe
- subject to complying with resort rules

Etc etc

All the above in my opinion are cop outs for when you claim you will not be covered.

Can I ask anyone who has had off piste cover without a guide, in Paradiski I regard it back country!

Your help would be appreciated as I leave on Wednesday night!!!
ski holidays
You may want to consider that many of those caveats may not actually stand up in court as being fair. So I've personal experience (in another sport) of a legal case where an insurance company tried to weasel out of their responsibility with this sort of small print, but that was successfully challenged as being unreasonable in court.

"Providing it is safe" would not, in my non-qualified view, stand up. If it's "safe" then you do not need insurance, so either it's being miss-sold or it's a contract clause which is nonsense.
ski holidays
I've used BMC the last few years for off piste without a guide, but MPI is looking a lot cheaper for the forthcoming year, so I will probably change over to them for this winter.
latest report
Alert 1Cover ski insurance
This insurance claims to cover off piste under its FAQs. Here is the wording and make your own decisions:"Yes we provide cover for off-piste skiing and snow boarding as long as it is within a short distance from designated areas of ski resort boundaries ON GROOMED TERRAIN that are open and patrolled by ski resort."
This would seem to offer no relevant off piste cover whatsoever. It certainly wouldnt cover ski routes in Switzerland and Austria, between the trees off the edge etc. This wording is so vague it is as good as useless for anyone but piste skiers.
When I rang to ask there definition of a "short distance" they would not commit to any definitive response whatsoever.
Because they would not be pinned down I decided to cancel my cover - 9 months in advance of the trip - only to be told there would be no refund of any kind. This inspite of the fact i have been a recurring customer.
My fault I suppose: buyer beware!
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes we provide cover for off-piste skiing and snow boarding as long as it is within a short distance from designated areas of ski resort boundaries ON GROOMED TERRAIN that are open and patrolled by ski resort

Why writes this crap?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is so much BS with all the mainstream insurers in terms of what is defined as off piste vs ski mountaineering (eg if you hike up...is that mountaineering?), guided vs unguided offpiste, what constitutes high risk conditions (is it reasonable to ski off piste on a 3/5 avalanche risk; in words this translates to considerable risk) etc that in the last 5yrs i gone with BMC. Very clear cut and no BS. ps as i do a lot of off piste i also have taken out life insurance policy through them as others excluded off piste skiing from their policies!
latest report
I've always used a top up on the free for account holders Nationwide policy. I've not read the off-piste conditions but when I was asking about it they said yes so confidently that I did no more about it. Now I'm feeling a little nervous with all this talk.
snow conditions
@henzerani, Nationwide winter sports inclusive, or winter sports top-up covers off piste, but with guide only. They do not cover when on your own/with friends.

They told me no top up is available to cover off piste without a guide either... and they are not able/willing to explain to me how their cover would work in tandem with Austrian Alpine Club...

I'm with holidaysafe which writes it covers off piste without guide. I also have AAC as the discounts this will give me on the haute route will cover the membership fee.
snow report
Insure and Go appear to have a very straightforward approach to off piste. Here's their standard T&Cs: Bobsleighing*, cat skiing, cross country skiing, freestyle skiing*, glacier walking or trekking (under 2000m), glacier walking or trekking (over 2000m but under 6000m)*, heli-skiing*, ice climbing under 100m (fully supervised)*, ice fishing, ice hockey*, luge on snow/ice*, monoskiing, off piste skiing/snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort management), recreational ski or snowboard racing, skeletons*, ski acrobatics*, ski bob racing*, ski racing or training (nonprofessional)*, ski stunting*, ski touring (with a guide), ski/snowboard fun parks*, skiing, snow mobiling*, snowboarding and tobogganing.

An asterisk indicates an additional excess applies and you don't get compensated for things like a loss of limbs (although your medical treatment is covered). Only three sports are specifically excluded from cover: ski flying, ski jumping or ski mountaineering.

This all seems very simple, commonsense and plain English. I suppose that my only query would be where the boundary lies between ski mountaineering and ski touring.
snow conditions
It's the "except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort management" that's the catch. In a European context what does that mean? Clearly it excludes closed pistes - that's straightforward. Avalanche level 2? I tried in vain to get any sense out of Dogtag on this - their policy had wording about "skiing against local advice". What about avanche warning level 1, I asked. Not covered at all if there was any avalanche warning, they said. I asked for a callback from someone familiar with European skiing but nobody ever called....
ski holidays
@pam w, fair comment. I don't have sufficient understanding of the risks to ski off piste without a guide, though, and I figure an insurance company would find it difficult to argue that a slope regarded as safe by a qualified mountain guide fell within their exclusion. In the worst case, I'd have to claim on the guide's insurance.
snow conditions
For off piste with a guide a lot of ordinary holiday insurance policies will cover you
snow report
Anyone except " insure & Stay at Home" - as we call them! They delay everything, postpone replies to the last minute and only pay up when they see that you are going to the Ombudsman where they know that they will lose, because they have done on similar facts before.
But if you are with them, remember to wear a helmet or your insurance is invalid! ( whilst skiing , that is)
ski holidays
@Scrumpy, they've paid up for two broken arms in my family over the years. Not skiing though - one surfing accident and one trip over a carelessly placed rucksack. Not had any problems at all.
latest report
Scrumpy wrote:
... But if you are with them, remember to wear a helmet or your insurance is invalid! ( whilst skiing , that is)

Do you have any evidence of that actually happening? It sounds kind of Daily-Mail to me.

If you break a leg, what's on your head is fairly likely to be irrelevant, and I doubt trying to weasel out of a contract on that basis would work. They'd be laughed out of court.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy