Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help, and Skoda Superb 4x4 owners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am currently looking to get some steel rims to fit snow tyres to, for my 64 plate Skoda Superb 140BHP 2.0 tdi 4X4 elegance.

It is currently shod with 224/40/R18 92Y XL tyres

Skoda UK cannot tell me!!!
My local Skoda Dealer doesn't know!!

I need to know what size rim I can use, I think 16 inch will fit, but on different websites they mention different offsets Puzzled Different central bore size Puzzled and different bolt sizes Puzzled

Can anyone give me a definitive answer please
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timbobaggins, I've just been looking into Winter tyres. While I was unable to order from them as both my credit cards declined to even offer me a security check (I have justplaced an order with mytyres.co.uk) you an search by car make/model at http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/

I have a Volvo v70 shod with 205/50R17, butht esite above confimed that I could also run 195/60R16, or 205/55R16
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Timbobaggins, not sure if this helps, but the manual for my Skoda Yeti gives info on what winter wheel / tire options to fit, have you checked the manual for your Superb? (I think you can view the manual online)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/steel-wheels/skoda/superb-combi/2-0tdi-4x4-20077
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mytyres.co.uk

Rim type 5-hole steel wheel
Size 7 x 16
Bolt pattern 5 x 112.00 x 57.00
Offset 45.00

A number of other VAG cars use the same size
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hi all, thanks for asking, did check owners manual, Sweet FA off use. Mytyres when I put in car make and model gives about 4 different 16 inch rim options with different offsets etc. Phoned them but they didn't know!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timbobaggins, with the amount of different info you've got coming at you, it might be worth swinging into a KwikFit, pleading ignorance and begging for info based on the vehicle presented! Better still, if you have a pretty girl insured on your car, send her instead!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife has a Superb 4x4 with the low profile tyres mentioned (except these were 225/40/1Cool and we had a few problems sourcing snow chains. In the end we got the fancy ones that clamp onto a wheel nut and do not go around the back of the wheel.

I have found the http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/136-skoda-superb-ii/ excellent for any such questions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@letsgetpiste, The car is actually registered to my gorgeous blonde haired wife, I might send her Confused

@johnE, I have Thule K Summits that fit the standard 18 inch rims, but I feel you have to crawl along with them on, keep getting overtaken by loony French drivers in Fiat pandas rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timbobaggins, two people have gone to the effort of finding you the information by different routes and have come up with the same answer. For some reason you choose not to believe their results rolling eyes

If you want a more definitive answer then keep pestering Skoda until they give you one.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Timbobaggins, I don't have a Superb but have recently had the same issue to deal with on my Octavia Scout.

As @johnE says the Briskoda forums are excellent sources of information - really seems to be the Skoda owners version of Snowheads, even down to thread drift, recurrent topics, socks etc etc!

This thread might help http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/263087-winter-tyres-and-wheels/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rtfm.com is the best source ever!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@altis,

Nice one, sorry I have upset you, obviously you are great and the font of nothing useful. When I find the correct answer I will place on here for the benefit of others, as it happens there is a lot of conflicting advice, so I was making sure. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DJL,

Thanks will have a look
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timbobaggins, You did not upset. But why would you accept answers from strangers about (sometime intricate) technical matters rahter than trust your car manufacturer's manual? The only authority on the correct size is your car manufacturer!

Btw, info here suggests that stock sizes for your car can indeed be 16, 17 or 18 inch http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/superb-hatch-2015/features-and-spec - just scroll down. For exact specs, open the user manual and you are set, as indeed, all the ET and mm figures are relevant for a safe driving! And exact specs are important - it quite possible that 16 inch Octavia rims would not be the same as 16 inch Super rims! So - RTFM, and I'm not cynical or bad tempered, it is a sincere advice!

Steel rims in 16 inch size is not something unusual, go to a different dealer and ask for a set, they should usualy be in stock.

Btw, there must be a typo, tyre size 224 does not exist (although it migth be the actual physical measurement, but it should be 225 I would guess)/
snow conditions
@Timbobaggins, I do have a Superb estate 4x4 and run the same standard 18" setup as you in summer. For winter I have a set of 205/55/16 winter tyres This is the recommended tyre size if you are using 16" wheels and can be found on the label inside the petrol flap.

The wheels i use are alloys which an Octavia came out of the factory on last year. I cannot tell you the offset as they are on the car ready to head out to Tignes for the season in a few days time. They were supplied to me by Tyremen (Hull) who have shod my cars for me for years and who's advice you can trust. They do packages on their website and can be delivered/fitted across most of UK I think. They also have a Snowhead thread running.
snow conditions
@mooney058, 225 correct Very Happy
snow conditions
@Timbobaggins, We have a octavia 4x4 scout, which as standard runs 225 /50 x 17 and will not fit chains to that size, so we run the smallest tyre that skoda fit to an octavia, fitted to the greenline ?? version, which is 195/65 x 15 on audi a6 secondhand alloys. That size is not on the petrol flap, so we got a email from skoda UK to state it was ok for insurance. They work very well, if a bit lost in the arches, but it handles better with the smaller wheels!

Just find out the smallest wheel /tyre fitted to superb?
snow conditions
Hi all thanks for your help. After lots of research I have ordered a set of steel rims shod with Goodyear Ultra Grip 9 from the people in the link below. Very knowledgeable and helpful, and recommended from the BRISKODA forum, so DJL and johne, many thanks, also very very keenly priced.

http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 26-11-15 12:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Oh sorry yes, 16 inch rim 205/55/16
ski holidays
As the link from Altis?
snow conditions
@Timbobaggins, sorry, I wish I'd seen this sooner. We've got an estate version of exactly the same car on a 63 plate and went through the same process this time last year. We took the permissible sizes from the tyre pressure sticker on the fuel flap and did some additional research. We also fitted Goodyear UltraGrip 9 tyres sized 205/55/R16 on some Audi rims acquired via eBay. We used tyres with a 94 load rating as it's a big car which can take quite a lot of stuff. It also rides better and the MPG improves with the winter tyres, maybe because they've got a deeper sidewall and are narrower. The Greenline cars come with 16" rims so they can be a standard fit.

It snowed for the last 4 days of our trip but it didn't stop us driving up to the lifts every day. One guy with a 2WD SAAB on "standard" tyres couldn't even get out of the chalet carpark without putting SnowSocks on the car. We were driving back from Austria when the remnants of Snowmageddon arrived in Germany and the car and tyre combination seemed very capable.

I put the winter wheels and tyres back on the car last weekend, in anticipation of all the snow appearing now on the webcams. Roll on...
ski holidays
@jd_evans,

Great thanks for info, same tyres we have ordered, glad to hear that 16 inch wheels work well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy