Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aravis - La Clusaz- Le Grand Bornand - Manigod 2015-16

Poster: A snowHead
The snow that arrived the last two days was desperately needed, the rain and warm temperatures had really hit La Clusaz hard from what I could see. We are staying up in Manigod (a little higher up) and it held up nicely but the owner of the chalet behind ours owns Snowlife in La Clusaz and he said conditions are now excellent now the snow has returned and the temperatures are back to a little be more like it should.
@numbfoot, you should have a good but busy week. If La Clusaz is anything like Manigod has been this week get up early and miss the mid morning rush, then ski for a little over lunch. If you get the area pass it is worth a trip up to Manigod for night skiing (Mon-Sat) the snow has been excellent and its very quite with plenty of pistes well illuminated. Its a 10 minute drive up towards the Col de Aravis.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@numbfoot, yes, the new snow is lovely and has really revived the "piste-side" skiing. Unfortunately the mid-morning rush Renry refers to has really pummelled the popular runs by lunchtime; the snow pack remains thin in places, though it all looks really pretty now!
The heavy snow due at the weekend will be very welcome, hope it doesn't disrupt travel too much at the start of a peak week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The forecast snow has set in heavily and is settling on the roads above 750m at present. If you are planning on driving to the Aravis resorts this weekend you will need chains/winter tyres as a minimum. Consider approaching via the less scary Geneva-Annecy-Thones route rather than the exit 16 and up the D12 if unsure (might avoid some of the traffic from other resorts on the last part of the autoroute to Chamonix too).
Should be nice for the pistes though snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been keeping an eye on webcam today and all looking good for next week. Be there tomorrow for a Sunday ski kick off.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been snowing since 10am this morning. I would say a good 30cm in Manigod
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scrub my last post above! Went for a sneaky ski first thing this am. Snow was great.
However, centre of LGB was absolute grid-lock by 11am, had to do a u-turn and come out past the patinoire but the traffic was solid all the way upto St Jean de Sixt. The freezing level has risen too so road conditions OK all the way into the village. So D12 is probably the preferred choice now. Mind you, it may be so quiet because the autoroute is solid.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So guys, like an idiot, I went and dislocated my shoulder plaing football on Tuesday night.
Trip is booked and non refundable. Is there anything else to keep me entertained, bar the slopes?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@B1g_browner, wow, really bad luck.
Other things to do? Well, if you're allowed to snow shoe there are some great walks to be had, many accessible from the lifts in the village. You can hire the snow shoes and pole(s) from Favre Sports amongst others. The tourist office has maps.
You will be just across the road from the town's cinema if you want to improve your French (everything English gets dubbed).
The market on Wednesday morning is extensive and worth a wander.
The church is nice and often has free concerts, there are also often guided tours of cheese farms etc. again, the tourist office have details, they produce a weekly event sheet.
Sledging with dogs is getting more popular. Tandem paragliding. Day trip to Annecy via the bus depot.....
or strap up your shoulder and ski/snowboard one armed Twisted Evil .....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Typical of me if i'm honest, but hey ho, that's life. While I like the thought of improving my French, I don't think the cinema is the way to go if I'm honest. lol. Thanks for the suggestion though. The market sounds like something that would deffo be up my street. I'd say a pop into the tourist office will be the best plan of attack once we are there. Dog Sledging would also be one to tick of the bucket-list as would the paragliding.

I also had the thought of skiing as a one armed bandit. Just thought the snowboard lessons would be a step too far. Might risk some serious damage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@B1g_browner, Yes that really is bad luck. Sad
Good list from @gvj, just to add a couple of thoughts - along with Annecy, Thones is a nice small town not too far away and they also have a weekly market which is very nice to wander around. Can't remember which day of the week but it will be on their website I expect.
The other thing you can do is spend some time, if your shoulder allows, in one of the 'wellness centres'. I can only speak for the Village de Lessy but they offer a nice jacuzzi by the pool, a steam room and sauna if that's your thing. I believe there is also one on the Cimes hotel (also in Chinaillon). I'm not sure of any in LGB centre itself but again, the tourist office will advise.
The museum de patrimoine in LGB is quite interesting and gives a flavour of mountain life in times gone by.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again @loatie, Some great little nuggets of info there. I will call into the tourist office at some stage on Saturday. Hows the snow looking anyway for Saturdays arrival?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plenty on piste. Throwing it down today with snow, but all rather wet. Looks very pretty. Fingers crossed for lower temperatures tonight.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alright guys, last check in before we arrive tomorrow. Looks like it snowed last night again, although possibly not as far down as the village.
Any of you guys who would like to meet up for a little tour during the week, just drop me a line on here. Shoulder is strong enough for some gentle skiing, so will be chancing it.
Once again, thanks for all your help guys!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, there was a good fall of snow down to about 1100m yesterday. You should have nice conditions. We're in hiking snowshoeing mode at present until the Parisiens head for home at the end of next week (unless some powder puts in an appearance) but have a great time in LGB and keep us posted as to how you're getting on. Off to watch the rugby now - allez les rouges!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@B1g_browner, Glad you will be able to have a ski. Hava a wonderful time - we're not back out until early March but thanks for the invitation. Bon ski!
latest report
Just checking in with you guys after our first proper day on the slopes. Mrs. Browner went ahead with the snowboarding and spent so much time falling that she traded in the board for ski's at the end of the day. Myself, somewhat nervous with the shoulder took it pretty easy. LGB is a beautiful village and the snow up top from Chinillon is pretty good too.
ski holidays
Alright Guys, couple of quick questions.
After yesterday's whiteout, we thought it might be fun to try some night skiing. So, is it on tonight in LGB? (website is a little confusing). Or would it be better driving up to Manigod?

Loving LGB BTW. Lovely quaint little French village.
snow report
Yep, it's usually every Tuesday evening. Up and down the Gettiers lift at Chinaillon with a free bus up from LGB. Never done it at Manigod so can't compare. ESF are often handing out free vin chaud at the bottom of the lift but a fair number of participants seem quite preloaded anyway! You're supposed to pay extra for it if you've got less than a five day pass but the lifties seem very laid back about it.
Try it if you fancy a new experience; avoid like the plague if the thought of out of control toddlers on sledges/teenagers on fat bikes/drunken Parisiens on snow blades etc. freaks you out at all wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-03-16 16:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

avoid like the plague if the thought of out of control toddlers on sledges/teenagers on fat bikes/drunken Parisiens on snow blades etc. freaks you out at all

Laughing Only another few days of those wretched Parisians and peace will be restored....
snow report
@B1g_browner, Glad you're enjoying it so far. The night skiing is definitely an experience! Hope you get to spend as much time as possible out and about today enjoying the slopes as it looks like a rare window in a rather snowy week.
latest report
Arriving on Saturday and cannot wait, looks like plenty of snow this week ready for us!
snow conditions
Had a great day today, please see below....

Dicided to give the night skiing a miss as we were both pretty shattered after a hard day at it. The slopes were all in great shape after last nights little snowfall and it was a pleasure being out in the bluebird conditions. Might head up to Manigod later in the week for the night skiing. As for people being tanked up, I've never seen apres which is so quiet? Deffo no-one who's had one to many?
snow report
@B1g_browner, No, if you're looking for lively après-ski, then LGB is definitely not up there with the likes of Meribel or St. Anton, but we like it.
Looks like the hot chocolate is up to the usual standard at the Chalet du Maroly......I hear the snow was in really nice shape on the pistes today. Looking forward to more fresh snow....Loatie always times it perfectly wink
latest report
@gvj, wasn't even remotely trying to compare the noisier resorts to LGB, was merely stating that I haven't seen anyone close to being drunk. As for the hot chocolate, top notch to be fair. Weather wise, the less said about today the better. Total wash out, never ventured near the slopes. No enjoyment in going out in a deluge with thunder and lightning.
ski holidays
Well the drunk myth was dispelled last night and myself and Mrs Browner were the two drunkest in the village. Lol.

As for conditions, anyone arriving on Saturday is in for a treat. The snow has just been dumping down and there is possibly more on the way.
ski holidays
Hope the head's not too sore today @B1g_browner.

There is a lot of snow this side of the Col des Aravis. We also got a very brief spell of thunder and lightning the other day at 1200m but the rain had already turned to heavy snow by then - I've only seen that once before I think (the snow plus thunder/lightning combo). Snow depths here are really good (I guess it's due to wind distribution but there's 290cm at the Tete de Torraz top lift, which is the Aravis side of our ski area, and 120cm at 1200m).

Also been snowing here for the last few hours and the Chamonix-Meteo prediction of the snowline rising to 1400m hasn't happened... yet... fingers crossed.
snow report
@miranda, have to admit that the head wasn't the greatest yesterday. Though the 'visibility' was the reason I came down from the slopes.... Confused

For any of you guys driving out today, I would recommend going via Annency. I woke up this morning to make the drive to the airport and looked out the window and thought oh poo-poo. It must have snowed all night last night and was still going this morning. Another 6 inches or more of fresh powder. Snow on the roads wasn't too bad(snow ploughs doing an excellent job), but if it keeps going snow chains may be required!

Thanks once again for all the help, you guys have been brilliant. LGB, was excellent!
snow report
@B1g_browner, So glad you enjoyed LGB even with a clipped wing! Shame you didn't have more sunny days but perhaps you would have been forced to watch mrs browner learn to board then - so maybe a good result?! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

there's 290cm at the Tete de Torraz top lift, which is the Aravis side of our ski area, and 120cm at 1200m

A useful point, to counter the suggestion, which has been made a few times in the past few days, that there is no decent skiing below 1500m in the French alps at the moment. I think there's plenty of lower skiing open down in the Arly Valley too - will be back to try it out next week! Snow depths in our area are well above average. Over 2m in Les Saisies village. snowHead
snow report
@pam w, Yes, we've learnt to adopt a wry smile every time we hear 'those in the know' banging on with the old chestnut about having to go high to get good skiing...... Especially when looking at other resort web cams of south facing slopes at 1800m v north facing slopes outside our window at 1300m
ski holidays
It is incredibly rare (once a season if that) that I look at snow levels other than the Aravis/Evasion Mont Blanc/Espace Diamant... but before I return to my changeover duties, I shall just take a moment to point out:

Val Thorens has 180cm at bottom (2300m) - Les Saisies has 201cm at the bottom (1650m)

Val Thorens has 290cm at the top - La Clusaz has 295cm at the top.

La Giettaz has 310cm at the top!

Of course there are ups and downs each season but, yes, after the fairly relentless "you need to go somewhere at a sensible altitude (i.e. 1800m+), lower resorts are struggling, go high" etc. I shall admit to getting a moment of joy out of these figures wink
snow conditions
@loatie, quite possibly very correct. It really is such a charming little place and for future reference for anyone, the Hotel Le Delta is great too. Loved the outdoor hottub. Myself and Mrs Browner have already started talking about returning for a weekend.
snow conditions
@B1g_browner, Perfectly possible for a weekend ski - You don't even have to miss time off work if you don't want to. We've quite often done a late evening flight on a Friday and returned evening flight on a Sunday. Two days away can feel like a lot longer once you're on the slopes. Even better if you can attach a Friday or Monday.
snow conditions
@gvj, Was looking through my photos and noticed this one from last week - did you celebrate that Welsh victory a little too much?

Anyway, here are a couple of other pics illustrating the snow in the village:

and one of my little rental car at 6 in the morning as I was leaving on Saturday - clearing that for the drive at that time was fun...... rolling eyes
snow conditions
@B1g_browner, Thanks to your positive comments I've just booked us three days at the same hotel after Easter weekend. Hopefully snow will still be good then - at least it's bound to be better than it was when we were there for Christmas week.

Despite thinking that skiing was over for us this season I continued to gaze wistfully at the webcams on an all too regular basis. The combination of great looking snow and the discovery that Hotel La Delta is only €105/nt for a family room got me thinking so off we go....

Can't wait now.
latest report
@MazDave, hopefully you will be as satisfied as we were. It has been recently refurbished, so for the room I had at least it was really modern. The spa is a very welcome treat after a days skiing. Please be aware that it is quiet in the evenings though, but that may suit?
ski holidays
Quiet suits us - web cams look fab today snowHead
snow report
@MazDave, yay - that's great news. We are here for 10 days at the moment and conditions are really lovely. Back again early April so like you, hoping it will continue to be good - hard to believe anything else looking at the snow depths around the resort right now.
ski holidays
@B1g_browner, Hey, sorry but have been off snowheads all week due to having friends staying. No, the leak wasn't mine but the victory was enjoyed - just keeping my fingers, and everything else crossed for the match tomorrow now! Glad you had a good time in LGB.
Snow this week has been the best of the season. Still in great condition up top and frosty pistes softening up nicely by mid-morning. Lovely, even the Noir de Lachat seemed like a good idea Little Angel ....
ski holidays
Finally got round to doing our video from Christmas week

http://youtube.com/v/ttpvgzjJzu4
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy