Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa Ski 16/17

Poster: A snowHead
Can't seem to find a thread for this season.

Any views on the current conditions?

I've not skied this area for many years but heading to Champoluc for half term with the family all DIYing

Can anyone recommend places to hire teenage boots and skis from?

cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking very much more promising than 10 days ago...

Currently I think high winds keeping links closed.

No idea what the stability is like...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, I guess you've not skied there yet this season??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, no, we haven't. We are somewhat constrained in that we are down to one property and it's pretty much 100% rented out - which is great, but limiting wink

Mind you, we haven't skied Chamonix either!! (Alpine anyway - had some nice XC skating)

Being lightweights.

And the OH refuses point blank to ski if it's raining.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keeping an eye on this myself, as we're heading out in March and my sister's there next month. Both some way off, but nice to know if a good base is forming. The best place I've found to see current conditions is the Monterosa Ski Facebook page, where they give regular updates and lots of photos (which generally make me want to head straight out there). After a poor start (like everywhere), things have definitely picked up in the last week or so, and the forecast for the next few days is promising as well. Doubt it'll be a classic season, but this time last season it was looking ropy too, and then lots of snow fell in March and we had a great trip in April, so you never know.

As regards hire, I don't know whether they do specifically what you're after, but we used Telemark, just by the lifts, 3 years running and were very impressed by the service and the friendliness. Assuming it's not changed hands in the last couple of years, I'd certainly recommend them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No idea on Telemark but Ivan at Tako is related to my OH. He's also good.

Mind you, so is most of the valley. Related I mean.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@J2R, @under a new name, Thanks, do I need to pre-book with it being half term do you think?[

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 11-01-16 16:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, I would!

The shop that ski2 use which is upstairs rents Stöcklis if you fancy playing on a real race ski wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, I'll be taking my Volkl Code Speedwall L which are stiff enough for me at the moment!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
b]@J2R[/b], @under a new name, Thanks, do I need to pre-book with it being half term do you think?[

Not sure, as I've always managed to avoid half term. It's never that busy in the Monterosa area, though, so I imagine you'll be OK. The only thing is that you do get visitors from Turin and Milan at the weekends who may well grab the best skis, so pre-booking may be a good idea (although you can always change your skis after the weekend when all the skis come back in).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi all, snow looking a bit better out there now and fingers crossed some more for half term. I have only ever skied this area with a guide, but this trip is with the kids so little/no off piste!

Any recommended runs?
Has the bucket walk on lift in Alagna gone?
Looks like only a black down to Alagna, my kids can ski blacks, is it pisted?
Lastly I will have a hire car, is it worth a day in Antagnod and/or Brusson?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Any recommended runs?
Has the bucket walk on lift in Alagna gone?
Looks like only a black down to Alagna, my kids can ski blacks, is it pisted?

There are a couple of great long descents which I always enjoy: from the top of Passo dei Salati above Alagna, one going down to Alagna (yes, it starts off as a black but it's not a very challenging one under normal snow conditions), the other going back towards Gressoney, either down to the bottom of the Seehorn lift or all the way down to the bottom of the Punta Jolanda lift. They're very exhilarating!

As general areas to spend time, my favourite places are the Frachey bowl area of Champoluc, and the Seehorn-Jolanda area by Gressoney (this is a good place to aim for if the visibility is poor).

I've never bothered with Antagnod or Brusson, to be honest, but I should do some day. Another place to know about, if you're based in Gressoney-la-Trinite or Stafal, is Gressoney-St-Jean, down the valley. If the winds get up, sometimes a lot of lifts get closed up top in the other areas, but this, being more sheltered, tends to stay open and it's a nice little area. Only really practical if you're based in Gressoney-la-Trinite or Stafal, though, as it's a drive or bus ride down the valley, not lift-linked to the other areas.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, even with kids it'll be perfectly possible for you ski pretty much everything. no particular recommended runs, all good.

If the kids are up to black runs, you'll be almost certainly able to do the "full circuit" - Champoluc-Gressoney-Pianalunga and back again in a day.

Be sensitive to wind warnings. They do their best to manage lift closures but if they start suggesting you get back to your "home" valley, then don't ignore them. A taxi from Alagna to Champoluc would be eye wateringly expensive.

Antagnod surprisingly good introduction to powder on a powder day and usually relatively unskied. A bit limited otherwise. Brusson?? Even my OH has never skied there I don't think.

Bucket lift went many years ago! Whole system above Alagna very different. You've got avvy kit, right as techincally it's required for any off piste in Piedmonte. I have seen varied levels of enforcement on the Punta Indren cablecar. "Black run" is pisted, one short steep pitch the rest is red. Unless you in off piste via the bowl.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having recommended the long run down to Alagna, I should also add that I don't actually do it that often. There's a bit of trudge through the village getting to the cable car back up, and I think the best stuff from the run down is actually above the half way station, so I tend to stop there and go back up when I ski the Alagna side.

I'd definitely second the warnings about wind, above. If it's a windy day, with the likelihood of increasing winds, I'd stay over on the Champoluc side, if I were you. You don't want to get stuck in the wrong valley.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@J2R, thanks, I'm based in Champoluc but have a hire car.... I do recall days being called off due to the wind whilst I was doing guiding!
snow report
@under a new name, I have avi kit, but the kids don't so we will stick to the pistes I think! Can you not go up the Puntra Indren without avi kit as it appears to just be an itinery down?

Antagnod good then if it is snowing, does the lift pass cover it?
ski holidays
@kitenski, I don't think so. But I don't know how well it's policed, nor just how well controlled it is. We've been turned back with some friends on account that they had no backpacks but equally, we've been up with backpacks and no-one asked what was in them... rolling eyes

Antagnod certainly on Monterosa pass.
snow report
@kitenski, they do spot checks as you head to the Indren lift, so probably not worth the risk. I wouldn't want to head off into that area without avi kit anyway, even if they weren't checking. Anyway, there's loads of stuff off to the sides of the pistes, of varying levels of gnarliness, if the kids want to play around with a bit of off-piste. (Still need to be cautious, though, of course).
latest report
@kitenski,
Quote:

We did a morning in Antagnod (Brusson would be a real trek I would have thought) and we just took the ski bus. 20 mins there, 10 mins back as it is a circular route. It was quite nice, for a morning. Need to catch the bus from near the Chemists, north side of the car park otherwise you have to go to Frachey first. Route is Champoluc -> Frachey -> Antagnod -> Champoluc.
latest report
@bruisedskier, if the bus link is that quick, it makes me consider giving it a go some time. I'd probably ski to Frachey and take the bus from there, then come back from Champoluc. I feel I should get to know the area, for completism's sake.
latest report
Just come back from Champoluc on Saturday night. The week was sunny and warm the whole time but the pistes were in near perfect condition. I was amazed at just how good they managed to keep them given there had been no new snow for over two weeks. I think it snowed though yesterday? (Sunday). There really was next to no off piste skiing available though we did still do the Eagle Couloir. Two of our group went to Brussen to skin up but had to turn back as the snow cover was not good enough. The run down to Alagne is very steep but again, generally in very good shape.
snow conditions
looks like a little more snow last night and more today from the webcams, with a fairly snowy outlook for half term!
snow conditions
How good are they are keeping the roads clear up to Champoluc?? Hiring a car in Milan from Budget, will it be likely to have snow tyres? I have asked for chains!

ski holidays
@kitenski, pretty good. Unlikely. Possibly not even winter diesel (buy treatment on the motorway). You might get chains, verify they fit the car before you depart (and are not broken).
latest report
@under a new name, yes the hotel mentioned diesel treatment, cheers!! Not landing until 7:30pm so hopefully the road will not too bad. Would you try and fit chains in the airport carpark to be sure??
ski holidays
@kitenski, Yes and I'd get one of the hire car people to do it too!
latest report
@under a new name, good idea, cheers!
ski holidays
@kitenski, you may encounter some resistance.

Friends coming to Chamonix arrived in Milan and the Italian lady in front of them in the queue stamped her foot and went purple until they agreed to accompany her to the car and check the chains.

Not only were they the wrong size, but broken as well... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, Smile could be fun!! What hire company was that?
snow report
@kitenski, hertz I think. Not sure tho!
snow report
Tuesday update.. Hire car had 4wd and snow tyres which was very handy as snowy roads up the hill Sunday night.

Snow pretty good, some icy patches and the very odd worn bit (I'm talking one turn). I'd love to be off piste, the occasional forray has found light and fluffy snow but yesterday's sun has put a crust on lower down.

Skied Alagna and back from Champoluc yesterday, only one queue there and back at the chair above Frachey.

Snowing on and off today from light to heavy showers.,
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Tuesday update.. Hire car had 4wd and snow tyres which was very handy as snowy roads up the hill Sunday night.

Snow pretty good, some icy patches and the very odd worn bit (I'm talking one turn). I'd love to be off piste, the occasional forray has found light and fluffy snow but yesterday's sun has put a crust on lower down.

Skied Alagna and back from Champoluc yesterday, only one queue there and back at the chair above Frachey.

Snowing on and off today from light to heavy showers.,

Glad to hear that the conditions are good. Keep the weather reports coming - we're heading to Champoluc at Easter Blush
snow conditions
been clouding over all day but sadly not snowing!!
latest report
Per the site Monterosa use, forecast for Monday/Tuesday ....

That's probably no help
snow conditions
Yes, it's looking promising for a reasonable amount of new snow on Monday, according to this: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=45.8268&lon=7.8229
snow report
The chair above frachey is a right pain as both directions Champoluc-Gressoney-Champoluc are forced to take it.

Very poor planning.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
The chair above frachey is a right pain as both directions Champoluc-Gressoney-Champoluc are forced to take it.

Very poor planning.

Yes that has been a constant source of queues this week. Max 5 mins, but most/all other lifts have been ski straight on!

Still cloudy without any snow!!
ski holidays
All they need to do is put in a couple of little lifts and 'twould be sorted rolling eyes

The Belvedere 2 way lift is on its very last legs so hopefully ...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
All they need to do is put in a couple of little lifts and 'twould be sorted rolling eyes

The Belvedere 2 way lift is on its very last legs so hopefully ...

A single lift from the other side of the slope at the bottom of the Bettaforca chair, up to the top of the Mandria chair, would make a big difference and shouldn't pose huge technical problems, I wouldn't have thought. It would mean that those skiing down from Colle Bettaforca heading back to Champoluc could skip the Frachey bowl entirely, saving a lot of time and significantly reducing demand on the Mandria chair (which, to be fair, is the only lift in the area where I've ever really seen queues, and even then they've been pretty short).
ski holidays
@J2R, you've clearly not skied there on a busy Jan 31.

Yes to your suggestion, but even better, when they replace the 2 way Belvedere lift would be to extend the Frachey end to the same place at the top of the Mandria lift so that the Frachey bowl could be avoided by those heading towards the Colle.

Problem of course is $$$.

Now, if the link to Cervinia goes ahead... Cool Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy