Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR: Beacons Ho! 2015-16 Winter Season in the Brecon Beacons National Park

Poster: A snowHead
A dusting by us overnight but more needed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another dusting forecast tonight but Saturday night looks more hopeful.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's on Smile

Tuesday 09 February 2016
3.00 pm

http://www.breconbeacons.org/webcams
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's a day time image from earlier today:

Hopefully there's some more before the weekend! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will report back tomorrow afternoon snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mike Pow, looks almost as promising as Asari ski resort was today Smile Will be keeping an eye on this thread whilst we're out!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WEDNESDAY 10 FEBRUARY 2016

From a dusting to mid-thigh deep in the past 24 hrs in the Central Beacons Massif

Set off from Cardiff at 6am and was at the summit of Pen-y-Fan a little after 7.45

Limited visibility, a stiff wind and light snow flurries accompanied me up and down the mountain, with the sun trying to break through as I got back to the car just after 11am

Made one run into Cwm Llwch below Pen-y-Fan on 5-10 cm of snow, then ran the ridgeline below Pen-y-Fan which separates Cwm Llwch from Cwm Sere.

Great snow here. Solid base with 5cm penetration. The wind had loaded the ridgeline and it was 40-50 cm deep in places.

The slopes into Cwm Sere, including the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan, had the best coverage but with limited visibility and nobody around I erred on the side of caution.

The home run beside the path on Cefn Crew was smooth with the obvious big rocks above the snow surface.

Managed to ski a good way home, with only a 10-15 minute walk out.

Very light drizzle as I headed back to Cardiff but the sun came out all afternoon.

I'm anticipating that the lower slopes will have melted off in the sun, but hopefully the runs into Cwm Sere will have firmed up in the sunshine & wind and will be good to go early tomorrow morning.

Great to be back skiing in the Beacons.

Come Home

http://youtube.com/v/5hgMAvb1WZ8

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 21-11-16 9:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
THURSDAY 11 FEBRUARY 2016

No new snow overnight, instead a sky full of stars as I hiked to the summit of Pen-y-Fan in the pre-dawn darkness.

The Brecon Beacons National Park is one of just five destinations in the world - and the first in Wales - to be accredited by the International Dark Sky Association as an International Dark Sky Reserve.

http://youtube.com/v/YG--TieOrv0

Check out their website for talks and information

http://www.breconbeacons.org/stargazing

Local photographer Alyn Wallace has amazing timelapse footage and images of the Park at night

https://www.facebook.com/alynwallacephotography/videos

Yesterday's brief glimpse and turns into Cwm Sere showed that the majority of the snow had fallen, settled and consolidated on the NE facing slopes, specifically the NE facing slopes of Pen-y-Fan and the ridgeline separating Cwm Llwch and Cwm Sere.

I had a look at the prize of the Beacons - the left hand red line in the following pic, which I'd skied twice previously - but it hadn't filled in enough.

The 'Near Right Gully' to the right of the left hand red line - the gully with the entrance in the shade - had filled in, and that was my goal for the morning.

The 'Near Right Gully' at sunrise

The snow was suprisingly consistent, with only one turn going down to grass. I had to be conscious of my slough shooting past me and hidden rocks, hence the pauses.

About to drop in to the 'Near Right Gully'

#FindYourEpic

http://youtube.com/v/b-_oU23ZELw

Looking back up at the entrance to the 'Near Right Gully'

Looking down at the exit of the 'Near Right Gully'

I skied a little below this point, but it soon got too rocky to navigate. Hopefully this snow will stick around and the snow forecast for the weekend will fill the gully and make a top to bottom descent possible.

The top turns in the 'Near Right Gully' before the cloud rolled in and I lost the light

On my way back out the cloud lifted to give a view of the three highest peaks in the Central Beacons Massif.

From left to right, Corn Du (873m), Pen-y-Fan (886m) & Cribyn (795m)

You can see how localised the snowfall can be in this area

Managed to ski back to the same spot on Cefn Crew as I did yesterday, and I was back at the car by 10am

Unbelievable light and great turns on a new line for me. One of my better days skiing in the Beacons.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-11-16 9:25; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beautiful, beautiful photos. Very Happy Very Happy I realise it's been far too long since I walked in the Beacons. (I don't think I could ski that terrain...)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
Beautiful, beautiful photos. Very Happy Very Happy I realise it's been far too long since I walked in the Beacons. (I don't think I could ski that terrain...)

Thanks. The light was amazing.

Hopefully the same on Monday. But with added snow Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice one, and cheers for the video. I'm now torn between the Beacons and the Lakes. See how the forecast looks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers.

Decisions decisions Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mike Pow, looks like a perfect day for photography! I'm yet to see Pen-y-fan with both snow and sun...

I'm trying to work out if it's worth heading up there this weekend. Looks like there could be some afternoon light... and maybe some precipitation today? hmmm Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ArseCaptain wrote:
@Mike Pow, looks like a perfect day for photography! I'm yet to see Pen-y-fan with both snow and sun...

I'm trying to work out if it's worth heading up there this weekend. Looks like there could be some afternoon light... and maybe some precipitation today? hmmm Puzzled

Yeah Sat or Sun afternoon look the go this weekend, but Monday looks better.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike Pow, great stuff!
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
@Mike Pow, great stuff!

Cheers.

Hopefully sunshine and better snow on Monday Happy
latest report
Stunning timelapse compilation from Alyn Wallace

http://www.facebook.com/alynwallacephotography/videos/462563913927502/

Quote:
For the last 6 or so months I've been collecting timelapse footage from the Brecon Beacons National Park. With its Dark Sky Reserve status and acres of stunning landscape it has put me in the path of spectacular beauty, including the Northern Lights! It has provided me with a portal into the cosmos, a direct link to nature and an escape from day to day modern life. So kick back and enjoy and let the beauty of this little pocket of Wales inspire you in this year of adventure.

Please share if you enjoyed or tag a mate you think should see this
smile emoticon
Help it spread and inspire...

https://www.facebook.com/alynwallacephotography/videos?fref=photo
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, beautiful!
snow report
MONDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2016

Day 4 skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park for winter 2015-16

After a windy & squally weekend, Monday dawned very cold and clear.

I set off from the Pont ar Daf car park at 6am and instead of heading to the summit of Pen-y-Fan I traversed across the south facing slope to the ridge line at the top end of Cwm Sere which connects Pen-y-Fan with Cribyn.

Just before sunrise I was engulfed in cloud and mist but thankfully this lifted as the sun made its way above the horizon.

NE Face of Pen-y-Fan

Cribyn

I walked the ridge line to the summit plateau of Pen-y-Fan and had a look over the edge to the prize of the Beacons, the 'Central Spine' on the NE Face.

After a conversation with a family from Devon (Mum, Dad, and 8 year old daughter) who were up on holiday for a couple of days I clicked in and for the first time skied from the top through the rock buttress.

I'd skied this line twice previously.

The first time - which was the 1st descent of this face - I was rappeled over the buttress onto the 'Central Spine'.

Looking back up after the 1st descent of the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan, Thursday 14 January 2010

The second time, I downclimbed and then clicked in below the buttress. I was accompanied by Chris Dainton who took these shots.

Sunday 04 November 2012

More pics and words here

SR : Wales 2012 / 13
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92399&highlight=mike+pow+wales

This picture - taken in 2005 - shows the approximate line of descent down the Central Spine

The snow was pretty consistent with route finding through the rocks fairly straightforward.

As I dropped lower the pitch started to flatten out and the turns became easier. But I snagged a hidden rock about 2/3 of the way down and got bucked over the handlebars.

One ski flew off and shot straight down the face. I had to ski on one ski to retrieve it but thankfully the snow and pitch were quite accommodating.

On the 'Central Spine' of the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan

Skiing the lower flank of the 'Central Spine' of the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan

The Air We Breathe

http://youtube.com/v/7dRtT5tAQJ0

Looking back up the 'Central Spine'

The rock buttress of the 'Central Gulley'

The 'Central Spine' and 'Near Right Gulley' of the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan

My tracks from Wednesday 11 February can still be seen in the entrance to the 'Near Right Gulley'

Back on top of Pen-y-Fan looking back down on the 'Central Spine'

I then walked across to Corn Du and skied the Cefn Crew slope down to the glacial lake Llyn Cwm Llwch at the base of Cwm Llwch (Powder Valley!)

Skiing in the Snow

http://youtube.com/v/XGXM8iLCm7k

I managed to ski a good way down Cefn Crew before walking back to the car park.

Another fantastic day skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park and another rare opportunity to ski the 'Central Spine'.

More snow is forecast for Wednesday, so hopefully the consolidated snow will have a layer of fresh snow on top for Thursday's turns Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 21-11-16 9:35; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Epic..
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Epic..

Diolch yn Fawr Smile
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, Great TR, as always.
How much snow cover was there on the gully? Didn't you need a lot of snow to cover the scree slope?
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
@Mike Pow, Great TR, as always.
How much snow cover was there on the gully? Didn't you need a lot of snow to cover the scree slope?

Thanks.

Top section of the 'Near Right Gully' was windblown and firm, maybe 10-20 cm 'snowpack'. Lower down the gully it was unconsolidated snow 10-30cm. Going down to grass and rock so couldn't ski too far down.

'Central Spine' was a combo of consolidated and unconsolidated snow 10-30 cm in depth. Was able to dodge most of the rocks and ski pretty much to the bottom - approx 300m of vert.
ski holidays
hi having seen your vids of late, looking to ski some new lines at the becons , have previously boarded some areas but always with better snow cover. going back to my good old skiing to getthe best of little cover. cu on the slopes Skullie
snow report
stevie.j. wrote:
hi having seen your vids of late, looking to ski some new lines at the becons , have previously boarded some areas but always with better snow cover. going back to my good old skiing to getthe best of little cover. cu on the slopes Skullie

Good call. A lot more comfortable with 4 edges Smile
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, top work there; the skiing and the TR.

snowHead
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Why couldn't Sunday have had that weather Mad

Great shots. Looks like the snow won't last for long though..
ski holidays
Cheers Mosha Marc Smile

Did you go up on Sunday ArseCaptain?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
THURSDAY 18 FEBRUARY 2016

Day 5 skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park for winter 2015-16

Looking for pastures new I drove over to the western edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park to ski Mynydd Du (Black Mountain, pronounced mun-ith dee).

This part of the park is more difficult to access than the Central Beacons Massif and as a consequence sees far fewer visitors and feels more remote and wilder.

I came in via the Llanddeusant side walking in on the Welsh Water Board road to the smaller of the two glacial lakes, Llyn-y-Fan Fach.

This lake ringed by the glacial cirque of Waun Lefrith (677m).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=51.884968%2C-3.789597&spn=0.254296%2C0.494385&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&z=11&source=embed&ie=UTF8&mid=z14RFdnlNxxE.kZzv9qaRgjy8

Quote:
Llyn y Fan Fach (Welsh: 'lake of the small peak') is the smaller and more westerly of two natural lakes within the Black Mountain. It is enclosed within a rock hollow formed as a result of glacial action during the ice ages. It is about 500 yards long and 200 yards wide, and roughly oriented east-west. It is drained by the Afon Sawdde which cuts through a glacial moraine which in part forms a natural dam. Llyn y Fan Fach is associated with the Lady of the Lake legend.

The lake can easily be reached by foot from the car park on the water board access road near Llanddeusant, although the road to the car park is poorly signposted, and in very poor condition for car travel.

Lady of the Lake Legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myddfai#Lady_of_the_Lake_legend

You can access Fan Brycheiniog (802m) and the larger LLyn-y-Fan-Fawr (the larger of the two lakes) off the A4067 Abercrave to Crai road, but this trail although shorter is often waterlogged and boggy.

There was no snow around LLyn-y-Fan-Fach so I traversed around the base of Bannau Sir Gaer (749m) and walked up the Twr y Fan Foel ridgeline (802m) to Fan Brycheiniog.

The summit plateau was snowcapped with skiable snow approx. 150-200m down the face.

Llyn-y-Fan-Fawr and Fan Brycheiniog

Twr y Fan Foel with the shadow of Fan Brycheiniog

Making turns on the Twr y Fan Foel ridgeline

National Avenue

http://youtube.com/v/WO-_SkXRW4Q

Mynydd Du with the Twr y Fan Foel 'White Ribbon of Death'

Warmer temperatures and rain over the coming days will put paid to playtime for a little while, with a cold front hopefully moving through late next week.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 21-11-16 9:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
More Epic...
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
More Epic...

Cheers.

Roll on the next storm system Smile
snow report
@Mike Pow, Yes, I'll try and get down for a slide. Fingers crossed we'll have some more yet.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@Mike Pow, Yes, I'll try and get down for a slide. Fingers crossed we'll have some more yet.

And I'm really looking forwards to heading North Smile
latest report
WEDNESDAY 27 APRIL 2016

Looking good for some April turns tomorrow Smile

Storey Arms Cam

Brecon Beacons Visitor Centre Cam

http://www.breconbeacons.org/webcams
snow conditions
THURSDAY 28 APRIL 2016

Day 6 skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales for winter 2015-16

Skiable snow in the Brecon Beacons National Park is rare at the best of times, doubly so weeks into British Summer Time.

But here it was.

Snow overnight Tuesday into Wednesday and intermittent snow showers throughout the day offered up the potential for Thursday turns.

But even with the weather information available on TV, radio & the internet you never know until you go.

I got to the Afon ar Daf car park at 4.40 am and was at the summit of Pen-y-Fan at 5.30 am just as the sun was rising.

Pen-y-Fan

Sugarloaf

Cribyn and beyond

Cribyn and Cwm Sere from the summit of Pen-y-Fan

Corn Du and Cwm Llwch from the summit of Pen-y-Fan

And then it was time to ski.

Not as much coverage as I was hoping for but it is the end of April in South Wales below 900m.

So I gave myself an uppercut and did laps Smile

Dropping into Cwm Sere at sun up

You Might Find, You Get What You Need

http://youtube.com/v/Bfv-0WTCQmA

Who knows if this is it for the season, but I have skied up here in mid-May Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 21-11-16 9:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Candide Thovex eat your heart out! You're slightly mental Mike but think it may be worth the hike for the views alone, so the skiing has just got to be a cherry on top.

Where are these slopes in relation to the Storey Arms cam? I only know of the latter because I recognise it from when I drive through on the way to watch rallying on Epynt.
snow conditions
Ha ha. Thanks.

From the Storey Arms you take the well worn - and in sections prepared path - to Corn Du. First clip is Cwm Llwch between Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan. The othe clips are dropping off the Pen-y-Fan ridgeline into Cwm Sere.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, You started this thread with yr eira cyntaf (the first snow). Will this be yr eira diwethaf (the last)?
Well done, that man Smile
snow report
Time will tell Smile

Thanks
latest report
Should have gone north, latitude over altitude Smile

Rob Johnson getting the goods on Snowdon yesterday.

http://youtube.com/v/AUuhoArvMWM
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy