Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm new!!

Poster: A snowHead
Good day people, I hope you can help me. I'm new to the forum but more than that I'm new to the snow!
My friends are planning a Ski trip next year so I need help!
I'm based in Wales, UK and I need Ski lessons I also need kit (all of it) so please post links with your recommendations!
Finally any insider tips and/or advise would be AMAZING!
Thank you! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads!!
Got a budget in mind @JollyKelly??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's your first time out, consider the Nevica route from Sports Direct. Also, TK Maxx is a goldmine if you're willing to dig around!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/skiing/

Don't get lured buy cheap goggles though. Others on this forum will put you in the right direction for them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have no idea what its should cost @letsgetpiste

Brilliant idea about TK Maxx I didn't think of that!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can spend hundreds or thousands...
Whereabouts are you heading?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eBay, is another gold mind if you know what you want. Brought some really good gear at some silly prices.

Saying that, get yourself to a local dry / indoor slope, have a few lessons!!

Ps Welcome
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JollyKelly, I,ve seen people do well on 'Learn to ski in a day' at Tamworth snowdome.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh my gosh, just realising how much I need, it's a little daunting.
All I've bought so far is this http://www.jollyclothing.com/collections/originals-womens/products/women-s-ski-t-shirt-cherry-red I think I have my priorities all wrong!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Dzmarc I've arranged for a dry slope lesson next week, but people say it's really different to the snow so shouldn't do dry first?! Do you think it's still worth me going to the dry slope?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are there any good brands I should look out for on ebay, or when shopping?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Cad99uk is that a dry slope? Thanks for the suggestion Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JollyKelly, Definitely worth while. Don't get me wrong it is a lot harder to ski on than on snow, but you'll pick up the technique and when you get on snow you'll find it so much easier, and be able to enjoy it a lot more.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Dzmarc that's been really useful.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JollyKelly, No Tamworth is a snowdome. 'Snow' not as good as the latest snowdome but perfectly OK. Stay over at the holiday inn next door and make a trip of it.
snow report
@cad99uk ha ha ops! Silly me. Thanks for the suggestion I think I'll book a trip there for the New Year.
snow report
@JollyKelly, if any of your friends have skied before, why not ask them for a shot of any old/spare ski gear for the week?
snow conditions
JollyKelly wrote:
Thanks @Dzmarc I've arranged for a dry slope lesson next week, but people say it's really different to the snow so shouldn't do dry first?! Do you think it's still worth me going to the dry slope?

Both my kids learned to ski, right up to an advanced level, at the Midlothian Snowsports Centre, which is a big dry slope on the edge of Edinburgh. "Dry" is a bit misleading by the way. The mats that you ski on are lubricated by a fine water spray at boot level.

The advantage is that it's not as expensive as going to a snowdome or a holiday abroad, but the disadvantage is that it's not as forgiving as snow. Some folk try the dry slope and think that skiing is hard, dull and sometimes painful, whereas if you're in a lovely resort with great scenery and the chance to stop for a hot chocolate and admire the posers, then it puts a different complexion on it.

If you can, go with someone who will be supportive and encouraging, because it's undeniably hard at first, just like anything from riding a bike to driving a car. Fairly soon it all clicks into place and you will be at the next stage.
ski holidays
dode wrote:
@JollyKelly, if any of your friends have skied before, why not ask them for a shot of any old/spare ski gear for the week?

+1
No shame in begging and borrowing! There are wardrobes full of unused and unwanted ski gear looking for love! Hit up your social network friends!
latest report
Is it a coincidence that JollyClothing.com, as per link, are based in Wales as is the OP JollyKelly?
snow report
@Slippery Slope, And the username wasn't a clue either....... Happy
ski holidays
Or that Kelly White is in charge of Marketing at Jolly Clothing........

Ah the wonderful world of google Happy
latest report
If you have any outdoor gear then make the most of that. A baselayer is a baselayer and a fleece is a fleece. A technical shell jacket with fleeces is perfectly fine, you don't need ski specific stuff to start with. it does need to be waterproof and breathable for comfort though.

The only thing which doesn't translate is trousers, get proper waterproof and insulated trousers (you may find yourself sitting down unexpectedly!). Gooutdoors and Decathlon have perfectly good own brand stuff. Do get decent socks though and wicking baselayers.

Finally, it depends when you are going. The alps in late Feb/ March can get very warm and sunny but you can always hit a cold/stormy day. Layers are your friend so you can adjust.
snow report
Oh @JollyKelly,
I feel dirty and abused... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
letsgetpiste wrote:
Oh @JollyKelly,
I feel dirty and abused... Crying or Very sad

A t-shirt is fine for a trip to the Alps isn't it? Pair of bootleg jeans below and you are all set. Blush
ski holidays
I do work for Jolly Clothing, but I am going skiing next year and do actually have questions, if you feel the link is not right then admin please delete. Thank you for all your help and advice so far I do value your time and tips and they have been really useful!
snow report
Hi @JollyKelly, don't worry we aren't going to hang you yet Happy.

We get a lot of people trying to covertly advertise their own company or set up fake reviews on here so we are a cynical lot when links start being posted.

As long as your asking questions about skiing and not ramming those delightful little tops manufactured by a family business in wales down our throats you'll be fine and we will be friendly Happy

On the flip side though, as marketing you may wish to contact admin as he may (and I stress may) allow you to advertise and provide all us snowHeads with a discount for the privilege Happy
latest report
Thanks @Col the Yeti I thought I was going to need all ski gear, nice to know that some of my winter clothes can come in handy. I have a friend who's my size so she has said I can borrow her old boots, so you'd say a pair of proper waterproof ski trouser are a must? I've just been looking at 'Nevica' goggles are these a good make?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for your understanding @PaulC1984 it's not my company I've just been brought in for the Christmas season, but it's my day off and I need to try and get in the know for this blinking holiday. Have no idea what I'm doing! Maybe I shouldn't have posted the link but it really is the only thing I've bought so far (I thought it would look cute in the bar, not for the slopes obvs)!
ski holidays
I wouldn't fret too much about it - there are plenty of perfectly good goggles available in resort shops, at all prices. There's no need to spend a fortune.
latest report
I wouldn't fret too much about it - there are plenty of perfectly good goggles available in resort shops, at all prices. There's no need to spend a fortune.

Don't, whatever you do, wear that T shirt for skiing. Cotton is absolutely wrong. OK for apres ski, but likely to be covered up by a big jumper......
snow conditions
Thanks @pam_w What CAN'T I hire or buy when i'm out there that i should really invest in before i go?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

This is good advice.

I'm first to admit I spend a fortune on gear but then I need it to perform and I wear it a lot.

There are tonnes of bargains out there though. Tkmaxx, sports direct, aldi etc etc.

Are you a hot or cold person? No I don't mean personality Happy. Some peoples bodies are naturally hot and don't feel the cold so a shell (none insulated) jacket with a base and mid layer suit them. For the really nesh ones your better with an insulated jacket.

Most important things are waterproofing, and breathability.

Try to go for merino wool base layer, it draws and moisture away from you, keeps you warm and unlike synthetics won't smell at the end of the day. Aldi at some point in the season will sell merino base layers for £5ish or you can pop on the internet and buy icebreaker ones for £70ish - they do the same thing
snow report
Ha Ha. This thread is highly amusing.
snow conditions
JollyKelly wrote:
Thanks @Col the Yeti I thought I was going to need all ski gear, nice to know that some of my winter clothes can come in handy. I have a friend who's my size so she has said I can borrow her old boots, so you'd say a pair of proper waterproof ski trouser are a must? I've just been looking at 'Nevica' goggles are these a good make?

Are your friend's boots ski boots or out door boots. Ski boots need to be a good fit, if your or your friend's feet are outside the norm they're unlikely to fit properly. There's nothing more miserable than a pair of ill fitted ski boots. snowHead
latest report
yep thats the thing @PaulC1984 I don't want to spend a fortune and then it turns out I'm crap at skiing and never go again!
I am ALWAYS cold!!!
This is great advice thanks Paul, I'm going to research these coats and try and find one that will keep me toasty! Very Happy
snow report
Ok thanks @NeddySkiGoon I have no idea what they are, she just said I have some boots you can borrow Puzzled I guess it's worth investing in a decent pair of Ski boots, I guess hired ones are pretty crappy too?!
ski holidays
http://www.jollyclothing.com/pages/mens

Not sure myself, tiny bit camp for me.
snow report
@JollyKelly, Hired ski boot are fine for your first trip, get the middle or better package. They should feel tight, not comfy.
ski holidays
ha ha ha @blahblahblah well Noddy Gowans liked them Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy