Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speedferries have cancelled my trip!

Poster: A snowHead
Have booked three crossings with Speedferries, so far they've changed the crossing times three times and now they've cancelled our March trip because their boat's going into drydock. We were impressed with the crossing in December, left on time etc but I'm more than a bit miffed that they've cancelled a crossing for something that they must have planned months in advance but were still taking bookings for. No compensation because "the terms and conditions say they can cancel any sailing at any time"

Ya boo sucks....now have to try and book an expensive crossing with someone else having missed out on all the early booking deals. Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh that definitely warrants a sulk!

Where are u trying to get to homphomp?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sulk most definitely over! Have just rebooked crossing through www.driveline.co.uk for a grand total of £35....so I've actually saved £15 quid on the deal....woo hoo!! Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
homphomp,

Just a question, but do you have any reason not to use the tunnel? I bought 'frequent traveller' tickets last year which cost £40 each way as long as you buy 5 return journeys. You show up, any time, wait at most 15 mintes, and 30 minutes later you're in Calais. I can't honestly see me ever using a ferry again. One small caveat, if you want to travel at 'peak' times there can be a £20 or £30 surcahrge but it still seems good value to me, and it beats the ferries hands down for convenience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Axsman, I use my Tesco Clubcard vouchers (£1 at Tesco is worth £4 for crossing) for Eurotunnel, crossing cost us zilch. We were put on an earlier cro.ssing too at no extra charge.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, Excellent News! I'll start collecting clubcard vouchers immediately! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(Isn't the tunnel just great?) no more mal-de-mer for me!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
homphomp, This is a bit worrying.Speedferries have recently been promoting their Supertickets(£50 open,amendable ticket),details of which I posted for the benefit of fellow travellers.In fact,one I purchased,I have just converted into a crossing for my trip this April.They are still promoting their Supervoucher(10 trips for £190,valid for 2yrs)For the frequent channel crosser,a good deal at 5 ret/£38 ea?
I have used S/F a number of times,and have always been impressed by their slick operation.However,I've always been a tad concerned by the fact that 'they only have one boat' Confused With their very public criticism of the other channel operators,I doubt that a transfer(in the event of breakdown etc)would be quite as slick wink Lets face it,with "Fight the Pirates" plastered all over the side of your boat,you're hardly going to endear yourself to the other operators?Nice phrase though Laughing
I welcomed the arrival of Speedferries,still do in fact.There is little doubt that much of the keener pricing exhibited by the other operators is in direct response to their service.Pirates is an apt description.Perhaps,if they had a bigger boat they could use "Fight the Bloody Cut Throat Pirates" wink Breaking an(alleged)cartel,single-handed,is some achievement.I really hope its not all about to fall apart?
Any opinion?Bad luck,one off fluke,or symptomatic of some deeper malaise.

BTW,last I asked,they were still seeking to place a 2nd boat on the crossing.Not yet it would seem Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowskisnow, like you I'm a supporter, we use them at least 3 times per season, good luck to them I hope they do get a second vessel on stream, I didn't know about the supervoucher scheme, definitely worth checking out. I'm sure it's not symptomatic of a deeper malaise but I would suspect that their vessel probably need more maintenance or more regular maintence checks than a convential ferry, it's all aluminium etc and operating in one of the most demanding marine environments in the world.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AxsMan, don't suffer form the 'mal de mer', we use it because we can stay with the dog during the crossing. Collecting them fast for our Easter trip.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont,

my last 'frequent traveller' crossing is booked for half term (11th Feb) going to Alpe d'huez. After that I won't be going across again until the summer. Will certainly look into using clubcard points to pay, where can I get details - Eurotunnel website?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowskisnow, we booked with them because of your posts on here!! I don't really think is a sign of a deeper malaise but I don't think any company should book passengers for a service that they can't guarantee will run and then hide behind the terms and conditions when you muck people about...that offends my sense of principle and good customer service - something that the "Fight the Pirates" slogan is all about I thought!

I was seriously considering buying the supervoucher...10 crossings for £190 is great value, but I've reconsidered as I don't want to book with a company that will do that. If it was a technical fault, bad weather or anything else that was out of their control I wouldn't object but this is the boats annual safety inspection....you can't tell me that they haven't had it booked for months in advance. I will think again if, or when, they get a second boat so that they'll be more reliable.

AxsMan, We use the tunnel often...but £50 return was a price we couldn't pass up, as we were booking three return crossings this season we saved ourselves nearly a hundred quid - that pays for a few beers on the mountains!!

Helen Beaumont, We convert our clubpoints into airmiles....get to fly BA for less than a SleazyJet flight, can't be bad!!

All's well that ends well....couldn't believe getting a P&O ferry for £35 return!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Homphomp, if we didn't have to fly via Heathrow or Gatwick to anywhere with BA, we'd probably use them more often. No direct European destinations even. Mind I wouldn't flu longhaul with them again, unbelievably cramped compared to Air Canada
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, We're just about to sign up for the Eurotunnel frequent traveller deal. Doesn't actually look that great a saving at first glance but should save us a few quid over the year as long as we can avoid the peak times. Do you inform them you will be into peak times before you travel or just pay them when you turn up? The details on the website make out the frequent user trips are limited and they told my wife over the phone you should book 1-3 months ahead!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Yes...I see your point, but as I live only 30 odd minutes drive from Gatwick and bargain flights from there are thin on the ground Airmiles are a very attractive option!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homphomp, I have just noticed they now do a flight to Brussels, but stll no direct flights to ski destinations.
snow report
Nick Dawes,

After buying the 'tickets' (you don't actually get anything on paper), you just call up before you go (could be same day if you like) and book the crossing you want. You have to book separately for each direction. If the time you book is 'peak' (basically before 3.00 outbound or after 5.00 inbound) you pay £20 or £30 extra for the trip. If you show up early or late (I've done both) they will just charge you the extra (if necessary) at the time. Dunno if you get a refund as I've never gone from peak to non-peak. I normally book about 1 month ahead and have never had a problem. You can book even further ahead and change your booking later at no cost. You have to have the credit card you paid with when you show up. That's about it.

homphomp, Speedferries do sound cheaper, but how long does the crossing take from 'show up at the port' to 'drive off in France'(i.e. including waiting times and on/off loading)? Typical time for me with Eurotunnel has been about 50 minutes, longest was an hour and a half but that was because we chose to wander round the shopping centre before the crossing. Fastest was less than 45 minutes. With a crossing every 20 minutes most times of day taking 30 minutes port to port, IMO it's worth the (bit) extra for the convenience oh and they've got plenty of trains! Very Happy .
ski holidays
AxsMan, Depends how early you show up at port! They were very efficient, they have a half hour before sailing check in policy and the crossing is supposed to be 50 mins, unloading took about 20 mins so that'd be about 1hr 40 altogether. Loading was very quick and efficient and we actually left dock 15mins early on our outbound leg at Xmas. The return crossing was nearer an hour because of rough seas mid channel, which wouldn't be a problem for the tunnel, but we left on time despite the late arrival of the incoming sailing. Tunnel is certainly quicker and more reliable in poor weather but you pays your money and takes your choice. In the grand scheme of things, over a full day of travelling, the extra half hour or so doesn't make a great deal of difference to me....where the £100 saving does!
ski holidays
homphomp,

Fair point re the crossing time vs cost, although a crossing every 20 mins means you can be relaxed about what time you arrive at the port and a £50 return is only a £30 saving on the FT program tunnel price. As you say 'pay your money - take your choice'. Very Happy

On a related point, does anyone still use the 'old' ferries like P&O, Sealink and the like? Are they still in business? and what do they charge? I would have thought that the tunnel was killing them off on the Calais route?
snow conditions
AxsMan, I've used the Norfolkline one a couple of years ago, but none of the older companies for about 6 or 7 years.
snow conditions
AxsMan, I think the longer crossings have become less competitive too, I've heard of people being charged hundreds of pounds for an overnight to St Malo.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
AxsMan, .. I've heard of people being charged hundreds of pounds for an overnight to St Malo.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'd rather drive down from Calais. The £££'s would cover a good hotel and a nice meal, basically a 'free' extra days holiday. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

I bought 'frequent traveller' tickets last year which cost £40 each way as long as you buy 5 return journeys.

i would have done the same, but you can't use tesco vouchers for that deal, so it's cheaper to buy ad hoc.
snow conditions
SpeedFerries have just emailed me to say they've changed the sailing time of my crossing for the EOSB in April, because they're introducing a revised and improved summer sailing schedule from 1 April. My new time is 0700 instead of 0745, which is a better time anyway.
latest report
RachelQ, how long to you reckon for the journey from Calais to Val T? I'm trying to work out what time to catch the ferry back....
snow report
RachelQ, Snap!! Only I shall be hitting the snow 2wks ahead of you,as I go out on the 7th NehNeh Cant do the EOSB due to kids holidays,will be at the BLAM.Regards to you and John;sorry to have missed you.

As this will be my first drive to the Alps,am pondering the same question as Elizabeth B.
snow report
Oooooo,that's cute.Type the EOSB and it automatically turns into a hyper link(its just done it again)Hows that work then Puzzled
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
.....a £50 return is only a £30 saving on the FT program tunnel price.

£30 soon mounts up when you're going often....that's what swayed us to SF rather than the tunnel, it took some thought as I hate rough crossings with a vengance! As for the old ferries...Mr HH went on a day trip with SeaFrance at Xmas, he was very impressed with the standard of the ferry and the efficiency of the crossing...but we'd still rather do day trips on the tunnel, that's when saving half an hour each way really makes a difference! Our replacement trip is with P&O so we'll wait and see what they're like.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy