Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Current conditions in Zermatt (and Cervinia)

Poster: A snowHead
@Dr Rock, webcams showing there was some yesterday.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt/6day/mid suggests over 2.3m to fall in next few days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt/6day/mid suggests over 2.3m to fall in next few days."

Woohoo!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should have gone to Zermatt again. Dolomites better be beautiful and have snow cover.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Currently snowing like crazy - looking forward to 10th January!!! (staying in Cervinia - see y'all at the Copa Pan for the apres!!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Me too, due to arrive Cervinia on 10th, this news is restoring my faith in Alps for skiing which I have to say was starting to waver over Christmas. First time here looking forward to exploring the area.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Me too probably popping my Italian cherry on the 23rd. Any other recommendations for eats and apre in Cervinia? Decent cheapo accommodation?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must visit Chalet Etoile - blue 6. Fabulous place - Fish soup is perfect. Also Bontadini nearly at the top on the left, by the top chair lift entrance. - Also really good. Nether cheap, but food fantastic.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another shout for Chalet Etoile. Fave resto in the alps
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chalet Etoile is great but so is Chalet Igloo on red 7, so friendly and great BBQ. Watch out for the prices on the Swiss side, scary! In Cervinia village La Grotta is great, we had two meals there, again really friendly and awesome pizzas too, but the steak and risotto were also amazing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snow Hound, we stayed at Compagnoni which we booked on booking.com. It was great, lovely rooms, spa etc, ski hire next door and you can ski back to 10 metres away. It's on the Main Street so really easy to get around, there are lots of free car parks too. We loved Cervinia.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the rapid responses! We booked the Chunnel months ago with Cervinia as #1 choice depending on the weather. The only thing that worries me is the lack of terrain below the tree line - what are our options If we're lucky enough to get hit with more stormy weather?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy an international pass, there is much more skiing below the tree line on the Zermatt side. Although it was very calm sunny weather when we were there so I don't know what the lift system would be like in stormy weather. There is tonnes of skiing, we skiied 60 + km per day even when they hadn't had much snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But if it is stormy the link over to Zermatt won't be open...

1st time I was in Cervinia it was a white out all but 1 day when we managed to get over to Switzerland. Hard work skiing in no visibility, couldn't see more than 1 piste marker at a time and if we went 1 inch off the piste we were up to our necks in powder. Not laughed so much for years mind.... wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow Hound wrote:
Thanks for the rapid responses! We booked the Chunnel months ago with Cervinia as #1 choice depending on the weather. The only thing that worries me is the lack of terrain below the tree line - what are our options If we're lucky enough to get hit with more stormy weather?

As others have said if it is very stormy the links over to Switzerland can get closed so that option can disappear. The risk is greater when the storm is from the south as it closes the Cervimia cable car and chairlifts up to the top. When the storm is from the north the Cervinia bowl doesn't feel it as much. On the Swiss side it might result in the cable car up to Klein Matterhorn (the main link back to Cervinia) closing but the T bars back can still keep working in quite bad weather.

Valtournenche is also an option. It is lower down and more enclosef than Cervinia so can be better in a storm. It is easily reached either by going up and across or simply go by bus from Breuil-Cervinia to Valtournenche. The Valtournenche area is automatically included with your Cervinia pas.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snow Hound, stayed in Cielo Alto in an appartment found on Air B and B. Very very cheap but long downhill walk into town and last bus back 20:30.... But couple of bars back at complex for later drinking. Also a chair to two blacks at accommodation plus run down to main lifts if enough snow.
latest report
Seems to have snowed last night in Cervinia (5th Jan), anyone on the ground to update on the actual ski conditions?
snow report
With conditions improving daily we're looking forward to skiing Cervinia, Zermatt & Valtournenche w/c 10th January. Rosti for lunch in Furi is always a highlight - apres in Cervinia at Copa Pan, Ymeltrob etc etc. Great breakfasts and pizzas at Lino's bar. Something for everyone! We stay at the Edelweiss in Cervinia - home from home. Just superb!!
ski holidays
Mmm, rosti.... Cool
11 sleeps to go....
snow conditions
Cross country skiing course now open between Täsch and Randa. Will cheer up my mate in the ski hire shop in Täsch train station. He was cheesed off that the course couldn't open for the Christmas and New Year holidays. He has a near monopoly on cross country ski hire so it is a nice little earner for him.

Now need to see the itineraries opening up. Ha'way the snow.
snow report

Third day skiing and third day of snow and mixed visibility.
Great ski conditions though.
Today we found best visibility down on the Valtournenche side.
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
Should have gone to Zermatt again. Dolomites better be beautiful and have snow cover.

I have had a week in Zermatt and had a great time but if you regret this decision I shall eat my hat. Dollies cheaper and better.
latest report
The black run number 8 (the national) from Sunnegga down to Patrullarve has finally opened up. As has the black from Grünsee to Findeln I imagine the black 62 from Furgg to Furi is also ready and will open up when the avalanche risk recedes. They have also reopened the suicidal new home run from Patrullarve to town. I am back out at the back end of next week so I am praying for some itineraries to be open. There must be some chance with all the snow that has fallen recently and is continuing to fall.
snow report
Looking good for the 23rd I see. Any recomendations for ways for a single person to get to/from Turin/Cervinia? Transfers aren't looking as straightforward as in France & Switzerland.
snow report
Snow Hound wrote:
Looking good for the 23rd I see. Any recomendations for ways for a single person to get to/from Turin/Cervinia? Transfers aren't looking as straightforward as in France & Switzerland.

I have never had to do it. But I understand that transfers from Turin to Cervinia are not as easy as on the Swiss side from Swiss airports. Odd because it is much closer. The Cervinia website recommends coach and links to this website which unfortunately is only in Italian:

http://www.savda.it/index.php
ski holidays
Hmmm, Italy opening up pistes 13 and 16 tomorrow (pretty unexciting - they are just alternative (and not as good IMO) ways down into town from the Ventina). The lift up from Plan Tourette to the great pistes under the north face of the Matterhorn are still not opening. I guess that now might be avalanche risk there rather than the lack of snow which has kept them closed so far.
ski holidays
I like those pistes off Plan Torrette...now all I want is Piste 69 to be open next week...
ski holidays
something we all like is the 69 . . . . . i'll get me coat. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Any updates? I'm like a 4yo on Xmas eve.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow Hound wrote:

Have you checked hire car prices? I was quoted just £27 total for 4 days for a Fiat 500 from Milan. Not sure that would actually make it up the hills, but going slightly larger probably wasn't be that much more expensive.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:

Have you checked hire car prices? I was quoted just £27 total for 4 days for a Fiat 500 from Milan. Not sure that would actually make it up the hills, but going slightly larger probably wasn't be that much more expensive.

Sorted thanks, that's exactly what my mate is doing.
snow report
Dramatic picture from the Cervinia ski school's Facebook page this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/192395290899798/photos/pb.192395290899798.-2207520000.1452610733./629609050511751/?type=3&theater

OK it is just the "Avalanche Breath" covering the town. But it must have been pretty amazing watching that from the pistes - or indeed being in the town.
snow conditions
So the black 62 Furgg to Furi is now open. As is the Plan Torrette lift system on the Italian side. With the exception of the Hohtälli to Gant run (a route that can currently only be done via Gifthittli for reasons I am not sure of) and the run from Kumme down to Tufteren (which is often really late opening) all the piste areas are now open - all be it not all pistes are. We wait with baited breath for the itineraries to start opening up.

All of this is of course subject to conditions on the day - wind and/or avalanche risk have actually been keeping quite a lot of theoretically open stuff closed this week.
ski holidays
Lovely snow in Zermatt. Despite the cold and the cloud a great day today- snow is crunchy underfoot and the pistes are excellent. The Rothorn was not open this morning but was this afternoon and some runs back to Zermatt were not open for a while due to snow cannon work going on.

Maybe off piste/ itinerary runs are not so good or closed, but on the piste it is great and queue free.

Tomorrow looks like sunshine for a while, so everything is hunky dory for now Cool

ski holidays
Will I need a car with snow tyres or is a normal types with chains enough? Staying near skiClub from Wed 20th
latest report
I have no idea- where are you staying? Your car or hire car?

Lovely this morning:
ski holidays
whatever your tyres you'll still need a train to access Zermatt!! You can park much cheaper down the valley at Visp and take the train all the way, rather than parking at the roadhead at Tasch.
Obviously a car is of little use for getting round Zermatt....
snow report
jayroc2k wrote:
Will I need a car with snow tyres or is a normal types with chains enough? Staying near skiClub from Wed 20th

By ordinary tyres do you mean winter tyres? If so it does not look like snowing on the 20th so you "should" be OK. They are very good at keeping that road clear. However I still wouldn't want to do it on summer tyres. The problem comes in when you are coming back - you can't predict mountain weather more than a few days out (mind you even that can change!). I would not want to be in Täsch without chains. I have only had to put chains on once from Visp to Täsch (and never the other way) but boy was I glad I had the chains when I needed to do it.
snow conditions
Bit windy up the top this morning but the snow is fantastic, lovely and crunchy, pistes are excellent and the weather improved over the day.

latest report
Black piste 62 (reached by the Plan Torrette lift) on the Cervinia side opened today. It is a great ride. Just in time for me getting back out there tomorrow evening.
ski holidays
Blue skies today, sunshine, a bit warmer, more pistes open: perfecto.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy