Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Current conditions in Zermatt (and Cervinia)

Poster: A snowHead
We arrive in Cervinia early on Saturday. How much is still closed and what's the chances of any currently closed areas/pistes opening at the weekend or early next week?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know Very Happy
I would say most pistes are open, and the snow is fantastic. However, Black 59 in Cervinia has avalanche risk signs on and is not bashed, Red 69 and 55 in Zermatt are not there and the Stockhorn area is not open. Off piste might be limited and there are lots of rocks visible off piste. Some pistes in Italy are a bit worn on ridges but they are stockpiling snow and the cannons are on. More snow expected Saturday, so I would say don't worry and have a great time.

Blue sky day today Cool

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr Rock wrote:
Don't know Very Happy
I would say most pistes are open, and the snow is fantastic. However, Black 59 in Cervinia has avalanche risk signs on and is not bashed, Red 69 and 55 in Zermatt are not there and the Stockhorn area is not open. Off piste might be limited and there are lots of rocks visible off piste. Some pistes in Italy are a bit worn on ridges but they are stockpiling snow and the cannons are on. More snow expected Saturday, so I would say don't worry and have a great time.

Blue sky day today Cool

Thanks. I found the interactive map on the website earlier. Very nice wheels BTW. What's that? '87?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The 'E' reg isn't mine: mine's '88 Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied the Sunnegga area yesterday and Valtournenche and Cervinia today. Pistes are almost all open and are really good. Off piste is surprisingly thin - I assume the wind did it. The itineraries all look a long way off being ready.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My first visit to Valtourneche today. Piste 1 all the way to the gondola was great fun. Glorious sunny day, but very windy - seems to be a feature of the Aosta valley. I remember similar experiences in La Thuile and Champoluc. A seriously chilly experience.

Was surprised just how decrepit a couple of the lifts above Valtournenche were. The chairlift back from Cervinia seemed on its last legs and a key link lift is a drag. I've been spoilt by visits to the 3V.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dw832 wrote:
My first visit to Valtourneche today. Piste 1 all the way to the gondola was great fun. Glorious sunny day, but very windy - seems to be a feature of the Aosta valley. I remember similar experiences in La Thuile and Champoluc. A seriously chilly experience.

Was surprised just how decrepit a couple of the lifts above Valtournenche were. The chairlift back from Cervinia seemed on its last legs and a key link lift is a drag. I've been spoilt by visits to the 3V.

Valtournenche is very much the poor relation in the area. It is not the easiest of links, which is a pity as there is some nice skiing to be had there.

I must admit I personally think the worst lift in the area is lift "e" which takes you up to the top of pistes 4 and 7. It is the only way back up to the top from Salette and Valtournenche. It is just so stunningly slow.

The board at Salette shows a proposal to replace the drag lift at the top by a chair lift. But then again it shows several other "proposals" that I think are not even a gleam in anyone's eye at present (e.g. a lift down from Furgsattel into Italy). A decent lift to replace the drag would make Valtournenche seem much more part of the area than it does at present.

The chair lift back that you describe (lift "Z") is probably not much of a priority. I think most people go back by taking the cable car from Laghi Cime Biancge up to Plateau Rosa and then ski to the Valtournenche area from there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As said pistes are mostly lovely with only the top being a little wind blown as it started blowing a hoolie yesterday afternoon. I kept getting temped off the sides but its pretty unpleasant - crust that only breaks when you turn so pretty unpredictable and I'm not good enough to enjoy it. Zermatt on Monday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow Hound wrote:
As said pistes are mostly lovely with only the top being a little wind blown as it started blowing a hoolie yesterday afternoon. I kept getting temped off the sides but its pretty unpleasant - crust that only breaks when you turn so pretty unpredictable and I'm not good enough to enjoy it. Zermatt on Monday.

Yes. Off piste is not great over here on the Swiss side either. Although there was a lot of snow (hence great piste conditions) I can only assume the wind whipped a lot of away and then the cold temperatures have frozen the rest.

Hope you enjoy Zermatt tomorrow. We had a great day over here today. My son has sadly headed back to Geneva Aiirport. The life of a wage slave - I really don't miss it.

The best conditions are still up on the Furggsattel lift coming down pistes 71 and 72. If you move over to Schwarzsee be careful if you go down Black 54. I love that run and indeed I enjoyed it today. But it is very icy (and is steep) so it is certainly a "challenge". Also for different reasons be careful if you use Blue 56 to Arolied. It is the obvious way off Schwarzsee if you want to go back to Klein Matterhorn or Italy. But there are numerous patches of bare slope. They don't have snow making on it. I really don't think they should have it open at present unless they can carry a load of snow from elsewhere to there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi All - first time in Cervinia, early intermediate, so take from it what you will Happy

The pistes were in great condition pretty much for the whole stay... during the latter part of the stay it starting snowing and wind was nuts and became really cold.... never seen it that bad before, I was at 3K metres and it was somewhat windy and snowing, 2 mins later down the piste, in the space of a few mins, it all went nuts, was pretty scary for me, not many if any people on the pistes when wind kicked off, visibility was a maybe good for 5-10 metres, was like a dust story with snow thrown in...ironically the snow was lovely then..... Happy

but overall conditions really good....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, first time on this message board, I'm heading to Cervinia this Friday with teenage daughter and son who are both reasonable intermediates. If the Zermatt link is open I'd like to do at least one day on the Zermatt side, can anyone recommend which area of Zermatt to ski, I'm guessing that Rothorn is too far, what about the other areas? what time do you need to be thinking of getting the gondola back up out of Zermatt?
When I booked I hadn't picked up that there was such a high risk of a lot of the lifts being closed due to wind. I'm hiring a car so we'll be fairly mobile, any advice on where to go if Cervinia is mostly shut, the tow resorts I've spotted are Chamois and Torgnon, both seem very small bit more sheltered.
Thanks for ant advice.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can always? take the drag lifts back up to get back to Cervinia, instead of the Trockener Steg gondola..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, not sure how much help that is.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would love to visit chamois think it's only cable car accessible? When I was last there with closures we went to pila - one hour drive away. Nice fun resort. It is included in the local pass but not the international pass which allows access to cervinia. Also bear in mind valtourneche may (or may not) be open if windy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had it in my head that Pila was a bit far, is it 1hr to pila or to Aosta & then the gondola? On the issue of lift pass, I was intending to just get Cervinia / Vaulternenche and upgrade to international for a day, wil this pass give access to Pila?
Chamois looks very limited unless there is some off piste, it's only about 30 mins drive to the cable car.

Thanks
snow report
Old Dog wrote:
Hi, first time on this message board, I'm heading to Cervinia this Friday with teenage daughter and son who are both reasonable intermediates. If the Zermatt link is open I'd like to do at least one day on the Zermatt side, can anyone recommend which area of Zermatt to ski, I'm guessing that Rothorn is too far, what about the other areas? what time do you need to be thinking of getting the gondola back up out of Zermatt?
When I booked I hadn't picked up that there was such a high risk of a lot of the lifts being closed due to wind. I'm hiring a car so we'll be fairly mobile, any advice on where to go if Cervinia is mostly shut, the tow resorts I've spotted are Chamois and Torgnon, both seem very small bit more sheltered.
Thanks for ant advice.

It might be overstating it to say there is a "high" risk of the link being closed due to wind. It is not unusual but most of the time it is open. It sometimes opens a little later in the morning.

Rothorn is certainly doable coming over from Cervinia. But if this is your first time there is no need to go the whole way across to there. The first area you hit coming over from Italy is the "Matterhorn Paradise" area. That is a great area for intermediates and there is plenty of skiing to be done. The area is also easily connected to Schwarzsee which is smaller but again a good area for intermediates.

I think you could easily just stay in those areas all day but if you wanted to stray a bit further north down the valley you could ski down to Furi. You can either take the black 62 from Furgg (my favourite piste in the whole area - except late in the day when it turns into an icy crowded home run) or from the top of Schwarzsee you can ski the sweeping red 51. That is a nice run for the first half and then turns into a bit of a flat track. Once you get to Furi you can take the Riffelberg Express up the Gornegrat mountain. The top of that area is very easy indeed and is used by a lot of beginners although it has also some nice and simple off piste stuff to the sides. The bottom half through the trees is red and good for intermediates.

Most of the lifts tell you what time is the "last" you can leave there to get back to Cervinia. The times are fairly conservative. As long as you are back at Trockener Steg by 3 you will be fine. The lift timetable says the "last" lift from Trockener Steg is 3.15. But that is a dubious claim as the lift runs until shortly after 4 and once you are up the top whether you ski down into Switzerland or Italy is just a matter of turning left or right (both areas are still open). As has been stated, if the lift up from Trockener Steg to Klein Matterhorn is very busy (which does happen) or is closed due to wind you can take the two T bars from Trockener Steg up to Plateau Rosa which gets you back into Italy at exactly the same place. The T bars are long and not nice when it is cold/windy but they are an option.
snow conditions
Old Dog wrote:
I had it in my head that Pila was a bit far, is it 1hr to pila or to Aosta & then the gondola? On the issue of lift pass, I was intending to just get Cervinia / Vaulternenche and upgrade to international for a day, wil this pass give access to Pila?
Chamois looks very limited unless there is some off piste, it's only about 30 mins drive to the cable car.

Thanks

One hour to aosta and gondola up. Fairly easy drive. International pass does not work in pila only aosta pass. From my experience, if cervinia is closed so too will chamois. I imagine it's limited but given you'd be driving down and back and with kids I think it'd be fine for a day. Strong winds this week so closures possible I assume. They don't refund you ticket but give you voucher for another. Nice area though you'll enjoy. wink
latest report
Folks, many thanks for that, much appreciated. Only 2 more sleeps. Very Happy
snow report
Well for those who love Zermatt’s itineraries one has been opened up over the last couple of days. Almost laughably it is number 49 Bielti. That is the short little itinerary that cuts off the corner going to Furi when skiing from Schwarzsee down to Zermatt. It also takes one to the nice restaurants at Zum See – so maybe some successful lobbying by those restaurants. It actually is a nice little run but is tiny.

SCGB were suggesting that the lift company was opening up the lift from Hohtälli to Rote Nasa to allow access to the Triftji and Stockhorn itineraries – the best ones in the area – but only for groups with an official guide. If that is true it is great as it must mean they will be opening up the area for access by all soon.

Mid-February is coming soon and no (major) itineraries open. I know the lift company have to err on the side of caution when it comes to our safety and I respect their judgement. But it is such a pity not to have our itineraries. Zermatt is billed as great for intermediates and experts. Its pistes match that description but most experts want some off piste action as well and the itineraries are the easiest way for most to get that. Zermatt is rightly famous for its itineraries and with them not open it is just not the same.
latest report
@JohnMo,
I'm not in resort but looked at the interactive piste map this morning and it showed the Hotali lift as open and the itineraries were marked in. I think that must be the first time this season. I'd also read the Tea Club comments so wasn't sure if it meant that the area was open to all or just to guided groups. Hopefully, this is a good sign!
ski holidays
@JohnMo,
Looked again this morning and neither Hotali lift nor itineraries showing. Did I imagine it?! Might be wind as Rothorn closed at the moment I assume because of wind as showing 66kph on the wind/temperature chart. This is sad - we won't be in Zermatt till the end of Feb and I'm looking at the weather etc on a daily basis.
ski holidays
Welshcakes wrote:
@JohnMo,
Looked again this morning and neither Hotali lift nor itineraries showing. Did I imagine it?! Might be wind as Rothorn closed at the moment I assume because of wind as showing 66kph on the wind/temperature chart. This is sad - we won't be in Zermatt till the end of Feb and I'm looking at the weather etc on a daily basis.

I must admit I was a bit surprised by your earlier post. I am a sad addict to the piste map and had not seen the lift from Hohtälli to Rote Nasa as showing open. I am back at a friend's in nearby Verbier (well Nendaz) in two weeks time but am not actually in Zermatt until a week later. I am very hopeful that the Stockhorn area will be open by then. With all the snow there has been the rocks must be covered by now. They would certainly want it open for the large half term crowds over the next few weeks. In a further optimistic sign the itinerary 43 (Moos) from Furi to Zermatt is now open. It is not very exciting in its own right but it is indicative that they are at least continuing to open them.
ski holidays
@JohnMo,
I put the phantom Hotali opening down to wishful thinking and/or old age on my part!
snow report
Oh no, the itinerary 10 (Paradise) from Blauherd down to Findeln is open! I
love, love that run. For some reason they didn't open it at all last season. And I am not out there at present. I feel my human rights are being violated ... or something.
ski holidays
@JohnMo,
I don't know if this will help or not but SCGB skied Triftji yesterday with a guide so the area is open even if restricted access at the moment. I'm now convinced I did see the lift and itineraries marked as open on the interactive piste map but that they were then taken down to limit access to guided groups. The conspiracy theory option is better that accepting the senior moment option! Anyway, must be a good sign that the itineraries are opening up.
snow conditions
Off next week, and looks like the weather might be pretty mixed. Aside from the tress at Cieloalto, is there anywhere else feasible to retreat to? I've noticed there's a bus service to Valtournenche, which may allow skiing the run from Salette to Valtourneche-has anyone used this? Also if anyone know of a way to get to Torgnon on public transport that would be a bonus, doesn't look like its possible from what I've seen.
ski holidays
Trying to get from Cervinia toTurin on a Friday night (Using public transport, solo traveller). Anyone have experience of this? Hope to be able to get in a full day on Fri 11 March, have some grub in Cervinia, then get to Turin airport any time before 0500 on Sat 12th. In the old days, I would have given hitchhiking a go, but I'm getting a bit old for that sort of thing..
ski holidays
@cairn, www.rome2rio.com is you friend.

I suspect a bus to Aosta (or, at least, valley level) then bus to Airport. Doubt it will be quick.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm off to the big Z this wednesday to visit my daughter who's working there , then off to Gressoney for the GNABUN Very Happy
Really looking forward to meeting up with her and a bunch of my old ski bum mates from the 80's when I lived there.....
snow conditions
You need to avoid the Zermatt run which has become known locally as Zermatt's "Wall of Death"
This is red run No 3 from the bottom of the Patrullarve chair lift.
Instead take the right hand turn at the junction below the chair onto the path/track though Reid - run No 2.

No 3 starts off OK (where it is seemingly called No 1) but at the very end where it joins No 2 it seems the piste makers ran out of time in November to finish it and just dropped the run down very sharply to the right to join No.2.
The result is a very steep and narrow final descent - and it is this bit that is known as the wall of death.
I gather ski schools and SCGB will not go down down it, nor I was told will some off piste guides take their clients down it. Having looked at this final section from the bottom having gone down No 2 I cannot see how anyone thought this was a good idea.

Even those using the safe option of run No 2 are advised both by signs and if guided in person to STOP where the wall of death joins in from the left to be totally sure they are not about to be injured by someone totally out of control coming off this steep descent.

The other place to take care is coming off the exit from the new 6-chair at Hornli. The exit path is not wide enough and angles right so the result is often a pile up if those on the right do not aim right and give enough room to those on the left. I've been taken out there, watched others been taken out and had it mentioned to me by the UK tour rep as a place to exercise caution.

The entrance to the chair is bizarre in that you join alongside the seats and literally ski between the seats and then twist left and sit down. This, fortunately given the above, does not encourage all 6 seats to be occupied.

Not 100% certain but I don't think any of the itineries were open when I was there recently. Some of the high slopes at Rothorn were closed at various times due to high winds and avalanches risk. Indeed I saw the aftermath of actual one across the closed piste 11 rather than the mere risk of them. High winds had scraped a lot of snow off the non pisted areas as well as being a general problem in respect of the higher lifts being closed.
snow report
@DK1NV,

I absolutely agree with your comments on the Patrullarve runs - I was in Zermatt twice last season (and will be there again next week) and avoided N3 like the plague.

Even N2 is challenging for a boarder like myself, particularly at the end of the day. It’s pretty narrow in places, busy and not very exciting unless you want to stop at the Champagne Bar or end up at the Cervo terrace.

I would always go back up to Blauherd on the Patrullarve and take the funicular down (no shame in that as far as I’m concerned).

My only other pet hate in the whole area is the drag back up to the ridge above the main Cervinia bowl from Valtourneche.
snow report
Hi

Visiting Cervinia for the first time next week - very excited.

Realise that I am slightly highjacking the forum here but my wife and I would like to dip our toes into the Zermatt ski area. We would like to stop for a nice lunch and most importantly (other than the skiing itself) we would like to take in the classic view of the Matterhorn from the Swiss side. Can anyone suggest a little intinery for us?

Cheers
snow report
@Griggs,

You can’t beat the Matterhorn view from the Chez Vrony terrace (down in Findeln / Sunnega side).

I would definitely book this a couple of days in advance to be on the safe side.

http://www.chezvrony.ch/de/restaurant/index.php

You need to make sure you are on your way back by 2PM (I’m building some slack here) – but check the weather for the day in question (pick a day when sky is clear and wind relatively low).

I would also add Gornergrat to your itinerary – make your way down to Furi by :

- glacier runs down to the Furgg chair
- up and then ski down Red 69 which skirts the Matterhorn and has one tricky / steep section at the end
- get down to Furi via the Black 62 (I am assuming you are comfortable on blacks – it’s a lovely run in the AM) / you may have to go up on the gondola and then ski down to the start of the black or just walk or pole the small distance between the 2 (end of 69 / start of 62)

At Furi jump on the Riffelberg gondola. At the top board the train up to Gornergrat and ski down to Gant (I love the Red 29). Jump on the ancient gondola that takes you up to Blauherd. Then ski down blues 7 and 6 (Chez Vrony is just off the latter on the right).

Enjoy – I’m off to Zermatt on the 12th.
ski holidays
I in turn would agree with all that @franga has said.
I also (a skier) tend to avoid village runs. They are invariably cut up, narrow, has everyone plus their dog on them plus the usual meat-bombers hammering down them at reckless speeds.

Zermatt Black 62 is OK in the early morning I've found. After that the world and his wife not to mention the 2.4 children have been on it and I've seen in closed in the afternoon as it has presumably become carnage.

One thing - you will need to "adjust" to Zermatt mountain prices.
For example on my day over in Cervina I paid 1.60 Euro for a coffee stop at Willy's bar in Valtournenche (about £1.50)
Compare that to a coffee in Zermatt where the price is around CHF 4 (about £3) and an mid afternoon gluhwein pit stop will set you back around CHF 7.
latest report
My daughter's working at Restaurant Findlerhof in Findeln (used to be Enzo's many years ago) so if you're there, ask for Hannah and say Hi Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi

Many thanks for your advice above - very much appreciated. In terms of Black 62 is this very steep? Have skied quite a few blacks over the years - are we talking Face in Val D'Isere type run?

Looks as though Cervinia is closed at the moment - is this due to snowfall / wind / avalanche risk?

Griggs
ski holidays
62 is not particularly steep - the top section is narrow in places and gets busy / mogulled towards the afternoon.

You will be skiing it in the AM if you are coming from Cervinia though.

Suspect the links are closed due to high winds.
snow conditions
Bought my lift ticket this morning, then set about finding somewhere to ski, as high winds had closed nearly everything!
Started off through the trees just below Sunnega, did a few runs there then they opened more up, so schlepped over to Furi and took the gondola up to Riffelberg and did a few runs through the forest all the way down to Winkelmatten in resort, crossing over the Gornergrat train tracks each time, so I now have grease on my ski bases!
Snow was great in the trees and hadn't been wind-blown.
Hoping to hike up the Hornli ridge tomorrow if conditions allow, if not then it'll be the Schwarzee trees Very Happy
snow report
How's the pistes KenX?

9 days before I'm out.

Thanks
snow conditions
Another great day tree-skiing, this time in the Schwarzee trees beneath the 6 man chair at Hornli, great snow, if a little heavy, but plenty of first tracks Very Happy
Sadly the high winds have scoured any open slopes, but the pistes are in great shape!
Packing bags now ready to head to Gressoney, just over the hill, but will take me almost 5 hours to drive there!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy