Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
If you are near Arcalais (free bus from Arinsal), you might get snow there if snow line is marginal
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, definitely planning to do at least one day in Arcalis depending on the weather.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spent the day yesterday skiing around Saint Lary. The snow coverage was pretty poor considering the good coverage we had in Ax last week. Sunny, but very windy in the morning.

Arriving in the town and riding up the gondola we could see a lot of green and brown and not much white in the 1700 ski area. A strip of snow took us round to the chair lift to get up and over to 1900. The top runs there had ok coverage, but early on were rock hard and lumpy. Below the mid section only the blue track down to the gondola at the 1900 car park was open and that was a case of picking your way through the patch work of mud and snow.

Over in the 2400 area things were better. Snow coverage and the aspect meant the snow softened quickly, but the long drag lifts weren't particularly enjoyable for the snow boarder with us. We skied down the to the Refuse de l'oule for lunch, but had to walk the last few hundred meters when the snow ran out. The OH was not impressed even though I carried her skis. Not been there for a few years. Huge modernisation, more than doubled in size and felt like the prices had double too. Lost a bit of its charm I think, but the chair lift back up over the water fall is still picturesque.

In the afternoon the area was rather busy as everyone headed to where the best snow was. Off piste, you might have found some spring snow if you knew where to look. We didn't bother.

Then heading back over to 1700 to the gondola down, the blue run back had a number of skis off sections. Including one where we had to help 3 French girls back up to the track as they fallen off the edge trying to ski across the mud ! Just as we got the last one up their ESF instructor wondered back to see where they were. The run should really have been closed, but it is the only link back unless you use the shuttle bus. Back in 1700 we realised why everyone was over in 1900/2400, as there were only 2 nursery slopes open in-between the green and brown.

Anyone heading there before more snow I would advise driving to or taking the shuttle bus up the 1900 car park and start skiing from there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are there a few dumps of snow on the horizon from 3rd Feb? I know... it's a long way away and I've probably jinxed it now too! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm no expert but a few of the reports I look at seem to indicate that there may be some snow around in the middle of next week. However the worry is that with unseasonably mild temperatures, it may fall as rain. Just have to wait and see. I'm heading out to Arinsal Sunday morning, so some fresh snow mid week would be ideal!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is still some fairly good skiing especially at Baqueira and Peyragudes. Our local station Luchon-Superbagneres is just about holding on by its teeth and even though there was a dusting overnight it will be very warm again before the cold weather sets in around the 6th (new moon due).

With all of the reports pointing to colder weather and snowfall from the 6th onwards it (fingers and everything else crossed) should just come in time to save the stations for their key French holiday season.

Personally at the moment I prefer to get out on the bike than bother with the skis - I shall wait with baited breath until next week.

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow.... I'm done looking at the forecast. GFS's latest run is a disaster for Andorra. The snow and cold predicted for the 4th is gone. The huge snowfall from the 6th onwards is starting to disappear it will probably turn into nothing just like all the storms in the forecast in dec/2015. Hope it changes back to cold and snowy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't blame you @Koleoptero, it's human nature to keep checking but all it does is add to the worry!

I spent weeks checking and worrying about the forecast, turns out I had a completely awesome couple of days (even the rain on the Sat night didn't seem to effect conditions!).

The web cams still look good and the snow looks in good shape - and that won't change in the coming days before you go.

You're going to have an awesome time, and who knows you may just get that big dump while you're out there on 6/7th! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Handy Turnip, Glad you had a great time! Skiing is always fun, even in bad conditions. I know I will enjoy it, but we are always dreaming about powder days.
Conditions can deteriorate a lot from when you were there. Still 10 days to go and there are some very high temperatures and some light rain for the next week.
Still hoping there will be some fresh snow before I go.

WINTER..... WHERE ARE YOUUUUU???
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
True, it's not been a vintage year with warm temperatures across the whole of Europe. So you may not get the powder days you're after (although you might still lucky!) but you'll get lots of skiing in. I had lots of friends who found fields of grass when they went on their ski holidays in the Alps over Christmas. They'd be saying how lucky you are! snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another day out this time skiing around Grand Tournmalet and even though it’s only a few valleys along from Saint Lary the snow conditions were considerably better.

La Mongie sits in a natural bowl which seems to be protecting the snow coverage they have. Even over in Barèges the pistes that were open had good coverage.

I managed to get into some a couple of the off piste areas in the afternoon as the snow soften. Any earlier and you would be in danger of shaking out a few fillings as it was very chopped up. It also meant getting away from the carnage that is after lunch pistes at the weekend.
There were also a fair number of ski tourers heading off in the morning, so there might be some good snow to be found it you don’t mind the walk. The classic route down the Pic Du Midi had been skied so much it looked like a piste.

Overall a good days skiing considering it's not snowed in a while. Much better than I'd been expecting.

Next stop Baqueira in a weeks time with a group of friends from the UK. The forecast is for snow just as they are arriving. As for many of them it’s their first ski trip to the Pyrenees, after me bleating on at how good it’s been the last few seasons, lets hope it’s a big dump. Snow dance over the coming days, otherwise I’m going to be needing to keep them top up on tapas and red wine all week !

@Ski Guide, I did joking suggest sticking my bike in the back of the car, which got one of those don't even think about it looks !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arrived in Vallnord (Arinsal) last night, inspite of all the doom and gloom, 90% of the pistes are open, with some snow hopefully arriving mid week. Looking forward to getting out there this morning!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And the cold and snow in the forecast for the weekend is gone.
That was my last hope. With temperatures reaching record highs for February this week I don´t think there will be much good snow to slide on next week in Andorra.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am just back from a week in the Grandvalira area and the snow was surprisingly good. They have managed it really really well, and although it does get a bit patchy and slushy towards the end of the day the conditions were generally very good.

The best snow was in the Grau Roig area, and in the higher areas, but for the most part everything was good until the end of the day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First day and considering the fact that it's ridiculously warm, skiing was pretty good. Very much Spring skiing with hard slopes in the morning and then slightly slushy in the afternoon but still good fun.
All the Pistes are open in Arinsal Pal, however it's getting scratchy lower down and they need either colder temperatures so they can get the cannons going or ideally some snow!
snow report
Koleoptero wrote:
And the cold and snow in the forecast for the weekend is gone.
That was my last hope. With temperatures reaching record highs for February this week I don´t think there will be much good snow to slide on next week in Andorra.

Some photos from Soldeu at the weekend - obviously it depends on your definition of 'good snow' but things don't look too shabby. Definitely not worth all the doom and gloom in your post, it's not exactly like there's no snow!!!

snow report
Soldeu currently getting a dusting on the webcams Very Happy
snow report
Good. Hopefully it will work out ok in the end. Weather can be better as well as worse than predicted.
ski holidays
its been a bit disappointing but there looks to be something to slide around on this weekend when i arrive in the Grandvilira so i am staying positive, hopefully there will be some snow mid week.
snow conditions
Very light dusting in Arinsal currently, horrendous conditions though as it's blowing a gale turning the piste into sheet ice with the odd lump of snow. Hopefully get a few more showers today as its in urgent need of a top up

In happier news was over at Arcalis yesterday and the conditions were very very good. Lots of snow on the runs and didn't get slushy at all. They look to be getting some snow today as well, so will be heading over there for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
Looks like a big dump is on the way http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Baqueira-Beret/6day/mid
snow conditions
Just had two spectacular days in Arcalis after a decent fall of snow on Wednesday. Fresh snow, well pisted runs and very quiet resort.

More snow forecast over the weekend so should hopefully be some good stuff around for anyone travelling out next week.
latest report
The yo-yo weather is still playing havoc across the central Pyrenees. Snow down to 800m on Saturday night but accompanied with 100kph winds that soon turned mild again. The result being between 10 and 20cm of fresh on Sunday morning, but by today the freezing level is back above 2000m.

Over the next few days the forecast is the same, high temperatures, weather passing through which is snow/rain/snow which will see decent accumulations higher up but counter acting against the snow that falls lower down.

The battle in the Atlantic over who wins Cold vs Warm air is still ongoing however indications are for a colder period from the 14th

Current snow depths:

Luchon-Superbagnerers: 60/25cm
Peyragudes: 60/30cm
Baqueira Beret: 115/60cm
snow report
Cracking conditions in Baqueira today. A reasonable snow fall last night meant piste coverage has been refreshed, and between and off piste had enough coverage to make for an entertaining days skiing. By the end of the day the temperature was noticeably warmer, and the forecast is for similar over the next couple of days. Resort not as busy as I was expecting.
snow conditions
mortonia wrote:
Cracking conditions in Baqueira today. A reasonable snow fall last night meant piste coverage has been refreshed, and between and off piste had enough coverage to make for an entertaining days skiing. By the end of the day the temperature was noticeably warmer, and the forecast is for similar over the next couple of days. Resort not as busy as I was expecting.

Baqueira is one of mine and our guests favourite resorts, and even during the Spanish holidays there is enough room for it not to be crazy. The trick is to avoid Baqueira, start the morning at Beret then move across towards Bonaigua where you can have a great tapas lunch at El Refugi and then head back with a mandatory stop at the Moet Winter Lounge at Orri before finishing off with a few more runs at Beret.

About 20cm of fresh this morning at Luchon-Superbagneres though it did not take long to have it skied to the sides as the slopes were busy today as this is week 1 of the French holidays. More snow tonight though the freezing level is still quite high. The down side is that torrential rain is forecast over the next two days rising above 2500m, before the temperatures tumble on Sunday and give us what will hopefully be a fairly significant dump of snow over quite a few days.

Some reports are stating a metre on the lower slopes with over two metres on the upper slopes over the next seven days - though personally I think that is overstated.

Next week should be fun Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
A dusting last night and improved visibility meant we could ski a few of the more interesting lines today.
Tapas at El Refugi was excellent as a quick and delicious lunch.
Higher up the pistes are in excellent condition, but at the end of the day the runs down to Baqueira were very heavy.
Tomorrow heavier snow is forecast and Saturday is looking like a day to be watching the Six Nations !
snow report
A day of mixed conditions.

Staying down in Arties you could have been tempted to roll over and go back to sleep in the morning as it was lashing down with rain, and the snow line seemed to be well above the base station in Baqueira.

Once up in resort 5 mins out on the main lift and the rain/slush had turned to snow. The morning was spent skiing in full on blizzard conditions. Then for about an hour the sun broke through and you had the conditions everyone who skis dreams about. 20 to 30cm of fresh on top of already pisted runs. Hero snow. The skiing and the tracks you leave behind are the ones that bring you back.

After a very quick lunch in Beret and the weather changed. Higher temperatures meant rain up to 2000m and whiteout conditions. With the Moët Lounge umbrellas fully occupied we retried to the Champagne Bar in the main Baqueira lift complex. Any snow that fell in the morning below 2000 is now being quickly washed away.

Forecast tomorrow is more rain up to 2400m. The last day of this trip might be a short ride to the piste and a long afternoon watching the rugby. However, the forecast for next week is looking good, which means a return visit with good snow is a distinct possibility.
latest report
Between 5 and 10cm ovenight followed by clear blue skies this morning and early afternoon. The cold air is now pushing in with snow falling, and freezing levels dropping during the night.

There should be some great skiing over the next few days with more snow forecast for Monday.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Start of the main Toulouse holidays and lots of skiers at Luchon-Superbagneres. In general great conditions however the very mild weather and southerly wind will not do the slopes any favours.

Lots of good skiing available, but we could do with another period of cold weather and fresh snow to keep things up to scratch.

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Pumba wrote:
@Robert821, I live in the valley that leads to Gourette, Artouste (and then over the border to Formigal), pm me before you head down and I'll try and give you an idea of what the locals stations are like.

Sorry @Pumba
Only now seeing the message. Unfortunately, my week in the Pyrenees was pretty much a disaster. Had a good morning ski at Cauterets on the 19th Jan and then headed up to Gavarnie-Gedre on the 20th with a friend for the day. My first visit there and it was brilliant, really quiet and perfect for my ability in terms that the runs weren't really difficult... Well that's what I thought until I fell big style and almost lost my life. Comminuted fracture (femur in about 8 pieces), ski resort was closed due to the severity of it - they said it was the worst accident in the domains history!. About 6 skidoos found me after 1 1/2 hours waiting then another 30 minutes for the police helicopter to airlift me out. Lost 2 litres of blood and was operated on immediately at the emergency department. Femoral titanium rod in my femur bone marrow and hip with screws. Had 6 litres of blood pumped into me whilst there then I was flown home in a private jet on a stretcher a week later to hospital in the Uk.
It was a completely freak accident but I think it was compounded by the fact that my impact was on the piste which in the summer is a road (unbeknown to me) and the snow wasn't thick at all. All I remember is landing on it thinking that snow surely can't be that hard! May never ski again the consultant tells me, he keeps saying how lucky I am just to be alive! Wasn't going fast, wasn't off piste, wish I could work out what went wrong!
Gutted is an understatement but the rescue teams out there were pretty awesome once they figured out where I had fallen.
Never broken anything before so at 32 I've made up for it by spectacularly shattering my leg instead.
latest report
Jesus Robert that sounds horrific, get well soon

Looks like some good snow might come in time for next weekend http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Pal/6day/mid
latest report
Sounds horrendous - I am sure that I read something in our news about it Sad I hope you heal well and do get the back on your feet soon.
latest report
Ski Guide wrote:
Sounds horrendous - I am sure that I read something in our news about it Sad I hope you heal well and do get the back on your feet soon.

Yes, was in the local news http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2016/01/21/2260541-ibos-blesse-par-son-propre-chien.html

Was in the mirror, Wales online and front page of my local paper! I seemed to be famous and didn't even know it until I got home. In the headlines for all the wrong reasons. The gendamarie were fantastic and the care I had at Tarbes hospital.
I need to get back there as I know the exact spot (was tracking my ski with gps). I don't remember much but I need to revisit for closure. I hope one day to get back on the piste but for now, I need to take small steps first like learning to walk but that won't start until at least may.
I have a late summer holiday booked in Argeles but don't know if I'll be able to get there- we will see in good time!
ski holidays
@Robert821, that's an unfortunate trip to say the least. So glad the service you received was good, I have to say I've lived out here four years now and the health care service is, in my opinion, considerably better than the uk. I've seen a few broken femurs and femoral artery bleeds in my time and I am pleased that you are still here and on the mend, it's a very dangerous injury as well you know. I wish you all the best with your recovery and work hard with the physios so you can get back on your feet again, all the best from the Pyrenees.
snow conditions
Thanks @Pumba, much appreciated!
I completely agree, the hospital couldn't have done any better! Really appreciative of their care.... Unlike back home which ... Let's just say leaves a lot to be desired!
ski holidays
@Robert821, awful news. I hope you make a speedy recovery.
ski holidays
Just back from a couple of days in Andorra. (One of only a handful of times that I've been the mountains so far this season... this winter's been more than a little uninspiring until now.) We spent one day at Pal and the other at Arcalís. The piste conditions were very reasonable in both, and there's just about enough of a base for careful tree skiing at Pal, and good coverage on the open off-piste at Arcalís (although it was a case of skiing transformed snow rather than fresh snow). In short, the sort of base that we would ordinarily hope for on the first weekend after the first decent snowfall in November or early December but which didn't materialise this season until February.

What this base now needs is a proper follow-up dump... and that's exactly what's happening right now for the whole weekend! The 15/16 season officially starts on Monday snowHead, and we can write off everything until now as a bad dream (except for, to be fair, the central resorts, where the season has been satisfactory if not particularly exciting).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 27-02-16 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Pyremaniac, Glad to hear your weather report! I arrive in Baqueria on Sunday. Do you know of any guides that make up groups? I exchanged emails with BB Ski who do off piste guiding but leave up to the punters to make up a group. Many thanks. Very Happy
snow conditions
Well it's certainly snowing this weekend. Just had to go up to Gourette this morning and in the 90 minutes I was there a good 10cm had gathered on the roof of the car at it was starting to fall even heavier! Artouste has closed its doors for today due to avalanche risk, with a bit of luck it will stay closed until tuesday then I can have all the fresh to myself!
latest report
@peter w, I don't, I'm afraid. I recommend e-mailing the resort directly to see if they know of anybody. For sure you'll have great conditions, though! I'm tempted to try to get up there myself... I'll send you a PM if I do decide to.

@pumba, great! I'd love to join you (I saw your other thread) but it's a very long way to go for me now that I'm not based in resort, so it's unlikely that I'll be able to Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy