Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Pyremaniac,

Had a great time here in Ax, Good start in November, kinda thin through late Dec early Jan. Awesome powder over the last month. Ax is full of variety, still didn't knock of all the off piste lines. Nice village, cool locals to ski with. I would recommend for anyone who is happy exploring away from the pisted runs. Had some good days at Ascou also.
What is the go with PDM? Do you need a guide? I will look into Masella also. Where abouts are you based?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't yet managed to get to the Pic du Midi, but from I've seen and read I would imagine that for the first day or two you need a guide or at least a buddy who's familiar with the area. After that, I think you'll have got the routes nailed and then it's just a question of finding ski buddies for avalanche safety reasons - just as anywhere else.

Masella is a nice little resort, although it's much more about the pistes than about the off-piste (though there is some at the top towards the right-most valley on the piste map). It's one of the few resorts I go to where I'm not bothered about the off-piste conditions when deciding whether to make the journey.

I'm based in Barcelona, although in the previous few years I spent the winter in the mountains (Baqueira, Andorra, other smaller resorts in Catalonia and Aragon). Masella's our closest resort that's worth talking about, which means that they get a steady flow of visitors that makes it worth their while keeping the place open for longer. For being a resort in the eastern pre-Pyrenees, it has an exceptional ability to retain the snow and keep it in condition, due to the fact that it's almost entirely within a shady north-facing tree-covered valley. It doesn't get anything like the amount of natural snow that falls in Andorra or Ax, but it simply doesn't matter for the piste skiing there. It's a small place though; it would be with while to do a reccy there to see whether it's what you're looking for. (I know that recently they were offering to refund your day pass if you bought the spring season pass at the end of the day!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely need a guide for the Pic. Initially for the route finding, but then as a contact point to discuss snow conditions of the route you plan to ski.

I would highly recommend http://jeandenis.prisse.free.fr/

Gutted I've not ski there this season as conditions have looked excellent, but I can't seem to be able to drag the OH away from Baqueira.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, thanks for the clarification!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peyragudes today. Great conditions in the morning. After lunch the snow is heavy/slow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Luz Ardiden has closed today after a good second half of the season. There is still one more week for Bareges/La Mongie and until 24 April for Cauterets in the Hautes Pyrenées.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The snow cover was still very good in Grandvalira over the weekend, with only a few bare patches here and there. A few centimetres of fresh snow fell on Thursday night, and on Friday and Saturday it was cloudy with some very light snow showers and poor visibility. The sun came out on Sunday morning and stayed for most of the day:

It's typical spring snow conditions, so you need to follow the orientations to get the most out of the day: get it wrong and you'll be hurtling down bullet-proof slides or wading through slush; but get it right and there's some great skiing to be had still. We found that Áliga (El Tarter) and Gaig (Canillo) were great in the afternoon, as were the Obaga reds in the Solana valley in Soldeu. They'd have been tricky in the morning though! Whereas the good morning runs were in Pas de la Casa and Pic del Cubil (Grau Roig), which get the early sun.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, Going to hit up Andorra when the weather clears, it's snowing up there at the moment. Any advice on what area to got to? It's going to be one day only and we will aim to be there for the first lift and probably ski through until 2 ish depending on snow conditions. Are there any spring discounts available for passes? Cheers in advance
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd recommend Grandvalira unless it's a sunny powder day and you fancy the off-piste, in which case you could try Arcalís instead (which is cheaper albeit much much smaller - indeed it's free this Sunday, the last day of the Andorran season). Conditions were great in Andorra yesterday apparently; they got 20cm on Monday up top and the snowline was down to quite a low altitude. There's a chance of a little rain at high altitude today, but it seems that temps will drop again tomorrow and that there'll be some more snowfall. Can't say fairer than that for the last few days of their season!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spent today at Grandvalira. Skied from one end to the other and took the Gondola down to Encamp for a lunch of Tapas. Great snow coverage. Fresh snow over the start of the week has it looking pristine. Freeze thaw means the off piste is no good until it starts to release. Plenty of peeps around and a great spring atmosphere. Highly reccomended.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still looking to get up Pic du Midi this month. Does anybody know how much longer they will allow ski access?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
integral, Glad you had a good time in Grandvalira! The snow coverage is indeed great there, as indeed it often is in early April. All the precipitation that was falling this week had me a bit worried (we generally hope for very little precipitation at this time of year, since it often falls as rain), but the snow gods have been smiling on us, bringing unusually cold northerlies. In fact, yet another short cold snowy front is pushing through right now; the snowline for tonight is as a good as one finds in a typical February! It seems that it might, just might, be a reasonable-visibility powder day on both Saturday and Sunday snowHead... I'm probably going to do Masella tomorrow and Arcalís on Sunday where the lift pass will be free to celebrate the last day of their season Toofy Grin.

Keep us posted about any Pic du Midi plans; I could be persuaded to join. A friend in Bielsa is bugging me to join him for a day in Piau Engaly next weekend, but I need more justification to drive all that way! Fitting in a trip to Cauterets and the PdM could be just what's needed...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ooh le rue

http://www.redbull.com/en/snow/stories/1331785582381/episode-4-of-diy-series-with-xavier-de-le-rue
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I checked with Jean-Denis and the Pic is still open for skiing at least to the weekend of the 16th.
I'd be up for making up a group if others are interested.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm booked up until the last weekend of April. That may be too late. I am in Lourdes today, plenty of fresh snow on the hills and 5 degrees in town.
latest report
Looking at the weather this week looks like a complete wash out ! Might have to be next season now for a session on the Pic.
snow conditions
Mike Pow, great vid! As seems to happen at the end of every season, the PdM hasn't/isn't going to work out for me for one reason or another. Next year let's get a group together mid-season! I'm not sure I'm up to that north face route though!

I'm a bit late posting this, but last weekend I did indeed seek out the fresh snow that had fallen on Thursday and Friday. I'm told that Arcalís was fantastic on Saturday and I believe it, but instead we chose to spend it in the sunshine in Masella, enjoying our last day of sunglasses skiing of the season:

Beautiful views over the Cerdanya valley with Andorra in the background; the valley is in full springtime glory at the moment - although as everyone who's familiar with this area knows, the valley floor looks like that even in February!

Then we drove to the horizon, crossing the valley to Andorra to stay overnight in Ordino and ski on Sunday in Arcalís where the new snow was still pretty fresh on Sunday:

A great way to end the season! I was still tempted to get up to Piau Engaly and Cauterets this weekend, but it's a long old drive and the weather in Barcelona is suddenly really hot... the call of kitesurfing and beach volleyball is too strong wink. As the Spanish say, it's time to change the chip - I'm storing the ski gear away until November, and bringing out the beach gear. Have a great summer, everyone!

Although of course, Masella's open until the 2nd May... and if they give the day pass away for free (which they sometimes do) perhaps I'll have to dig everything out again Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy