Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden to muncih

Poster: A snowHead
Hi just wondering in order to make a 20.05 flight what time would you leave solden to make sure, (obviously weather dependant) but assuming all things are equal
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leave by 15.00 if driving to Munich to allow for traffic/ weather I'd say, not sure about muncih though! wink

http://youtube.com/v/IHw_wOlBzGQ
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Factor in the check-in time as well as the return time for the hire car before you decide what time you want to leave Sölden. You need to leave a minimum of at least 3.5 hours depending on which route you take and at what time you are travelling (that is the clear road time given by Google maps with a 15:00 departure from Sölden on a Wednesday by the way!) . Using the actual departure time of your flight as your baseline could end in tears.

Looking at the flight time, if it is a Saturday in peak season, you are going to face hold ups in a variety of places, not least of which will be check-in and security checks to get into the departure area. If it is a week day departure, then you are possibly looking at the rush hour traffic out of Munich as well as all the business people flying home after a day/couple of days in the city for work.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunday evening first week in Feb so I was working on skiing till 2 quick shower change and leave? I've driven the seefield garmish way in the past mainly because its slightly more scenic, that time of night would there be much in it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there any really benefit in either of the two main ways back to munich from solden?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mikekimber24, Sunday evenings can be really bad as all the Munich and other "flatlanders" are on their way home after a weekend/day's skiing. The worst time is approaching Munich around 17:00 I'm afraid regardless of the route. The section of the A8 from Holzkirchen to Munich south (Brunntal interchange) often backs up and can be a bitch if there is a shunt anywhere. The same goes for the Seefeld route - getting through Garmisch on to the A95 can be slow going and then at the end of the A95 where it enters Munich at Fürstenreid.

I used to live in Starnberg (on the route back via the A95) and I always used the Fern Pass route to get to and from Sölden. That routes you via Imst, but does not avoid the section around Garmisch, as it actually takes you right through the town which could be very slow moving at times. The Seefeld route has the advantage of avoiding Garmsch itself but the section from Farchant to the beginning of the A95 at Eschenlohe can be stop and go. Once in Munich, take the route signposted to Lindau and the A96 which means you can pick up the A99 just west of the city and swing round on to the A92 directly out to the airport. That way you miss all the traffic on the section of the A99 from Munich South to Munich north (where it meets the A9).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

quick shower

MTFU snowHead

I would leave at 2.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was thinking if we got of the slopes just before 2 could be away before half past. That gives 4 and half hours including dropping the car off. but if weather etc looks sh**e might change accordingly. thanks for all the pointers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mikekimber24, important to be sure where your car drop off is because the off-airport one is a minibus ride away and not as easy to find as the on-airport rental return. I got caught with that once before and never again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you plan to drive via Seefeld and Garmisch then Plan with a journey of 3 to 3 and a half hours. Give yourself extra time than the normal check in period, and then you cover yourself time wise should you get any slight delays on the roads.
Munich traffic on a Sunday evening should be pretty well flowing, but make sure you know where you're driving. Any wrong turns can add a lot of time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@whitedescents, if you read my response above you can see we have already established that a minimum of 3.5 hours is needed to allow a stress-free journey!

@mikekimber24, just had a thought, if you do by any lucky chance end up back at the airport with a lot of time to spare - get yourself to the Airport Bräu in the area between Terminals 1 & 2. It does really good food at reasonable prices and the beer is brewed on site, it is the only airport brewery in the world. The beer is damned good too and you can indulge as you have already returned the hire car wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi quick question if you go via seefeld ans garmish do you need an austrian vignette?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
if you go via seefeld & garmisch do you need an austrian vignette?
Required for all Austrian motorways - so any journey incorporating no m'way whatsoever doesn't need one.

However, as the shortest duration vignette (of 8 or 9 days) is under €10, it's not very expensive at all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, not quite correct, the Vignette is for Autobahns AND Schnellstrasse, and the Fern Pass road, for example, is a Schnellstrasse, there is a warning that it is "Maut-Pflichtige" as you join it near Ehrwald.

To be honest at the "extortionate" wink rate of 8.70 Euro this year, rising to 8.80 Euro next year for 10 days I struggle to see why people whinge about it. A lot of you don't think twice about shelling out way, way more for the Swiss Vignette or the endless tolls in France and Italy. But everyone bangs on about avoiding paying the price of 2 beers for a free pass to all of Austria's roads without having to think about whether it is a toll road or not. I occasionally have to spend a few hours in Switzerland, if I have not bought it in advance, the border control slap a full year's Vignette onto my windscreen regardless. Last time it was 2 days before the change to the new annual one, I still had to pay for a year that had already passed. So I did moan about that little cash cow. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The route between Sölden and Garmisch-Partenkirchen doesn´t require you to buy a "Vignette" if you don`t use the Austrian A12 motorway.
Whether you drive via Telfs and Seefeld, Zirl and Seefeld, or Imst and the Fernpass, so long as you use the B171 instead of the A12 (follow the white background road signs, not the blue background ones) then you can avoid the toll fee. Staying off the A12 (motorway) will add a few more junctions and roundabouts not to mention a bit more time to your journey whichever route you choose. However the small "Vignette" fee will make life easier and avoid the risk of any nasty fines, especially if you´re just following your Navigation unit. The shortest and usually the quickest is via Telfs and Seefeld although you will need to navigate and drive through Seefeld which isn´t complicated, but not very well sign posted.
The Fernpass route is a bit of a longer way around and more susceptible to slow moving traffic (especially in snowy conditions) as it´s the more major route for trucks and anyone heading to the West/North of Germany, but does not require a "Vignette". (Sorry Samerberg Sue but the Fernpass is not a Schnellstrasse).
If there is busy traffic between Seefeld and Garmisch, you can take a detour via the Walchensee and Kochelsee (2 beautiful Lakes) which is slower but avoids any queueing in Garmisch. But be warned it´s a beautiful, though very windy mountain road. Not the best for kids prone to car sickness Wink
With the new tunnel/junction at the Munich/middle ring end of the A95 it´s yet to be seen how traffic queues will develop. Hopefully now there are no more traffic lights at the junction, it will keep everything flowing. Be careful of the 30kmh speed limit as you enter the tunnel, it feels ridiculously slow.
snow report
What he/she said: I've never had a vignette travelling to Solden, for that reason.
snow report
@whitedescents, then they have removed the warning sign saying that it is Maut-Pflichtig, because there used to be a sign at the end of the B179 at Lermoos and another at the junction where the L71 joined the road just after Bieberwier. I know it is not actually a classified Schnellstrasse but it is, or certainly was, Maut-Pflichtig. I once got caught in a control there where the Tirol Gendarmerie were making quite a tidy sum with the Sofort-Kasse from Dutchies and Germans who thought they were being clever! I always buy an annual pass so it is no big deal for me one way or the other.

The OP is going for a rapid ride mid-afternoon on a Sunday from Sölden to Munich Airport. So I presented him with the straight line route among others which would actually give him a good option of making it on time, there won't be any trucks using either route because of the ban on any trucks over 3.5 tonnes driving on a Sunday. Between the Seefeld and Imst routes there is just a kilometre in it and the Fern Pass route has less chance of being tied up with slower traffic going northwards only on a Sunday afternoon! I used to use the Seefeld route to go to Sölden sometimes to avoid crawling through Garmisch, but was always faster using the Fern Pass route on Sundays when returning to the Munich area. I have even used the long way round via the A12 and the A8 when there have been problems on the other routes.

There is no 30km/h limit any more entering the Luise-Kiesselbach Tunnel from the A95 heading towards A96, it is a 50kmh limit which does feel bloody slow, but as you should have slowed to 80kmh for the approach to Munich at the north end of the A95 it should not be too bad. There are also average speed, as well as infra-red speed cameras in all the new tunnels. I commute through these on my way to and from work. The 30kmh limit is on the link to the eastbound route where they are still building the slip road from the A95 down to the approach to the Heckenstaller-Tunnel and the roads south and east. It should be open in a couple of weeks I think.

The important thing with all the routes to Munich Airport where you are on a strict schedule is to have a clear idea of all the various options and be flexible as to which one you choose on any one day or trip. I hate going up the Zirler-Berg from the Innsbruck side and have at times nipped off the A12 at Telfs, but that route in snow is not for the faint-hearted or those unused to driving in snowy conditions. The Krun-Walchensee route is also a good way to get past Garmisch, but I would never advise a stranger to use it as the first section from Krun via Wallgau is not too user-friendly in bad weather. But you would know that as you provide a Transfer Service don't you wink
snow conditions
just wondered are there now any board checks as you drive on either of the mountain routes across?
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, I have never had a Vignette in 30 years of using Fernpass. Looks like I've been getting lucky!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy