Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Great afternoon ski touring at Cairngorm yesterday after terrible weather on the drive up - it cleared just as we were getting our boots on in the car park Very Happy

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, that looks nice. I'd been hoping to get up there over the last two weeks but it hasn't panned out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like enough snow for a few more weeks touring yet Mosha Marc - virtually winter cover at altitude Smile.

Hoping to get another two or three more trips in with any luck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cairngorm have been getting fresh snow this week with more forecast, there is still good skiing to mid station and noticed on the Ciste tow today that the snow is still at the top of the fences, great conditions for mid April. For those who like touring I haven't been higher up but from those that have been they say it is good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
15 days or so until the Bank Holiday - is there any chance of lift served skiing being available anywhere in Scotland that weekend?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Roger C, Glencoe plan on opening for skiing until May 2nd.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @Backcountryboarder, might be tempted with the long drive North then (subject to forecast of course!)

Do you think it will be mad busy there on Saturday 30th?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unlikely to be busy, folks minds will have turned to golf as they don't have snow in their back gardens any more...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unlikely to be busy at Glencoe that weekend@Roger C, couple of my friends back in Scotland have already downed the winter tools and started dicking around with Golf clubs, bikes and gardening. Hope there's a favourable forecast for you that weekend so you can enjoy a wee trip North.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roger C,
It is highly unlikely that Glencoe will be busy this late in the season. We've found over the years that things are often relatively quiet there in March, so you should have no problems in May. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all for the input.

All sorted subject to weather I'll jump in car fri eve for the circa 9hr night drive north, picking up my ski buddy en-route. Then ski all day Saturday and drive straight back South when the lifts close.

Nice cheap trip courtesy of company car and fuel Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@prog99_new, it is an interesting view. We don't pack our kit away as the dryslope/fridge race season is getting underway so for us skiing is a year-round activity. We could have been in Cairngorm this weekend as it was the SSC End of Season fun race and BBQ but we chose Hillend instead. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Most of the other Central Belt parents did the same. I suspect some who are close to Cairngorm would be there but having made multiple journeys up the A9/A93 this winter I didn't fancy it. My mind is on dry/fridge so unlikely we'll make a trip up there until next winter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Week of sun coming at Glencoe.

Around 70% of the lifts still open...

http://youtube.com/v/yKr0ofohl3k&app=desktop#action=share
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roger C,
Great stuff! A 9 hour drive certainly shows some commitment.

But if you can go for nowt (ie with travel expenses covered) that's a great start. Remember to let us know how you get on.

As an aside, we are heading to Glasgow tomorrow (from Durham area) to see Muse in concert tomorrow night. We managed to get cheap last minute tickets (on viagogo, at far less than face value) and, after having seen them in Munich two weeks ago, it was something we couldn't resist. As concert veterans, it was one of the best shows we've ever seen. Although we will be only 90 minutes from Glencoe we will have my (non-skiing) sister with us on the trip. Tough as it is, we will have to give the skiing a miss this time. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roger C: If any interest - and to make more of a holiday of your trip - camping is free at Glencoe ski area campsite while the ski area is open wink.
ski holidays
Thanks @mountainaddict

If I could stretch it to two days on the slopes that would be ideal but looks like I'm required back down South for the Sunday so will be a short visit.

12 days and counting, looks like some new snow due in the meantime Very Happy
ski holidays
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1180

yesterday
snow conditions
I was at Glencoe yesterday and it was magnificent. Wall to wall sunshine and no wind. Snow was soft and a bit patchy in parts down low, but there's still plenty of it up high.

I also did the flypaper for the first time Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-04-16 8:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Roger C, I'm also keeping an eye on conditions for that weekend. The thought of one last ski for the season is very tempting Smile
snow report
@JoyZipper, that's an encouraging report!

@Elizabeth B, might see you up there then Very Happy
latest report
Was surprised to ski on fresh snow at Cairngorm today, it was firm underneath but good skiing, the snow is holding pretty well down to mid station just have to watch for narrow and stoney areas lower down, there is more snow forecast this weekend and in to next week so conditions should remain good. I don't tour but for those that do it should be good higher up and on the tops but could be icy with the low temperatures. Cairngorm have announced that they will be open until 2nd May, Glencoe is also open until then as well.
snow conditions
The next 5 days should see some reasonable accumulations of snow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2656752
latest report
How are the gully's \ off piste holding up ? I fancy heading up to the Nevis \ Glencoe area in the next few weeks if the weather looks stable to try some of the lines in Kennys books
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
How are the gully's \ off piste holding up ? I fancy heading up to the Nevis \ Glencoe area in the next few weeks if the weather looks stable to try some of the lines in Kennys books

Nevis is officially closed for snowsports so there is no uplift running but you can use the Gondola to access the backcountry.
ski holidays
@Gaza, cheers for the info Smile
snow report
@AndAnotherThing.., if you use FB then check out this group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Britishbackcountry/
snow report
@Gaza, Yep, that's my usual 'go to'. The "UK Ground Conditions" group is also helpful. How do you find Winterhighland ?
snow report
larry1950 wrote:
just have to watch for narrow and stoney areas lower down

Take your own (decent) skis or use rentals? This is not a dig at Scottish skiing, it's a genuine question for the locals.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

I climbed 4 of the gullies on stob coire nan lochain on saturday(ski kit packed away).
I'd make sure they were soft before attempting. Broad gully in particular was very icy.
No problem with overall coverage though. Bidean in particular looked really good.
ski holidays
@prog99_new, Thanks for the info. The way things are looking for me it's going to me a couple of weeks before I can get up, so perhaps things may have warmed a little then. We'll see !
snow conditions
No offence taken @dogwatch, most people who ski in Scotland regularly have older skis for just such conditions, not sure how available ski hire is this late in the season but would be better than damaging your good skis. I know Cairngorm and Glencoe are getting more snow this week so conditions certainly on the upper slopes should be very good and as long as the wind hasn't stripped the summits touring should be good as well.
snow conditions
@larry1950, I've always used my own kit for April skiing in Scotland and it's not been a problem. It's usually pretty obvious where things are getting thin.
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., I use my own skis but have new skis I would prefer not to risk at the moment, that said if Cairngorm get the snow they are forecasting for tomorrow I may change my mind.
snow conditions
Quote:
Take your own (decent) skis or use rentals?

I'd suggest you've got this the wrong way round (unless it snows this week in which case the situation changes)

In general late season conditions are much kinder to skis that early season, especially if you like off piste at the Coe. In general winter conditions there will be snow in most places, some of it very deep and some of it superficial. You'll be finding the interesting lines down the mountain and occasionally will find some sharks underneath.

Contrast that with typical spring conditions. There is rock, lots of it, and there is snow. It's completely obvious where one ends and the other starts. You won't hit any sharks by mistake.

As noted, if there is a dusting of fresh on top towards the end of the week then what I said above is of course null
latest report
Cairngorm will have 24in / 60cm of fresh snow above midstation by the end of this week.

Glencoe about 15cm and top-to-bottom sliding.
latest report
Still looking for a season ticket holder who needs a friend to take advantage of the ten pound day ticket on Monday
ski holidays
Well the Pentland Hills on the outskirts of Edinburgh are white this morning Happy
snow conditions
Glencoe Saturday for a final slide of the season! It a long wet summer.
ski holidays
Heading up to my sisters place in taynuilt on Saturday but might take the skis and hit glencoe. Looking very promising⛷😀😀😀
snow report
@boabski see you there, its looking awesome for this late in the season. Cant wait.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy