Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finland resorts - genral info please?

Poster: A snowHead
Can't find anything recent on this (forgive me please if that's just my stupidity!)

I can see that at least a couple of package companies do trips out to various resorts (don't fancy the diy route at the moment) but I can't find a lot of photos/info to give me a feel of the places. From what I have managed to find, I'm not bothered by the short nature of the runs, nor the average gradings as it sounds like it'll make for a fun trip. Not really going for out and out ski-ing anyway, but for a bit of a general snow holiday with the usual 'activities' and a hope of seeing the Northern Lights as well.
So - what are the actual main places like in terms of overall facilities? Are they big, tiny, really in the middle of nowhere, terribly 'traditional' (even restricted?) or very modern? Large towns or tiny villages? What's medical/accident cover like?

I ask this because I do want to go and try and see the Northern Lights, as well as playing in the snow in various ways including ski/board - adn it sounds like a real ice place for snowsports, too, in some places - and I understand that you need to be able to get out of the lights of a town/city to have a realisitc chance, so in that sense I want somewhere pretty 'rural' - but I and my travelling companion do have some health issues and a lot of medical food problems, so have to be pretty careful about what we eat (the usual pizzas and spag bol are OK, assume that maybe we can eat reindeer, but not fish, definitely). I know that it sounds terribly sad, but it's just fact and it can make adventurous or less-frequented-area travel a bit of a no-no. Unfortantely, most of what I've seen advertised is aimed at people wanting reindeer-skinned log cabins and real open fires adn traditional gourmet food and the like: and all that's just utter terrifying to me!

Also, on the ski-ing front again, have any got any more chairlifts, etc, or are they still all on drag lifts?

Thanks for any input/pointers which you can give.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Grizzler. No insider knowledge I'm afraid. Hoping someone will answer you. We have just booked Ruka for a week next year, mainly because it's a first time all round winter experience for my mates son, we are hoping he'll fall in love with his skis but we want plenty of alternative activities to keep him happy if not. Transfer is real short and looking at trip advisor posts for the hotels in that area there are plenty of decent places for food.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I spent a winter week in northern Finland some years ago. We did not see the northern lights even though skies were often clear and going with that objective in mind may be setting you up for disappointment. We didn't go for downhill skiing so I can't comment on that. It was a great experience but take out a second mortgage if you are planning on drinking much. You are going to Finland not a third world country but the north is thinly populated and if that freaks you out, you may be going to the wrong place.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it's anything like African safari camps you'd pay a lot more to live in a hide shelter than a big boring modern hotel. But I'm not clear what "terrifies" you. If you Google somewhere like Ruka there's plenty of information and images to see. I was contemplating Ruka but went to Tignes in early November instead. I think it looks great but be prepared for very cold weather (which keeps the snow good, I'm told).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

(don't fancy the diy route at the moment)

I've done Levi DIY at half term and saved a small fortune over UK tour operator prices. Means doing a one stop in Helsinki up to Kittila and then hire a car (driving around the Arctic is easy peasy and you can get out of town to see the lights better). Book cabins, hotels etc via booking dot com or airbnb but can't go wrong booking into the Crazy Reindeer. There are plenty of proper restaurants.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Being a Finn I can and try to answer. There's plenty of skiing all over Finland but I believe you want to go to Lapland where the fells are situated and the best skiing. The main resorts you want to consider are Ylläs (the most extended range for skiing), Levi (the most 'resort/alpine-like'), Ruka (smaller but popular and actually below the arctic circle) and Salla (the wilderness experience). All of them offer standard rooms etc so no need to stay in iglu or anything reindeer related. Also the food is 'safe' as most Finns usually prefer the cheep and cheerful burger/pizza/schnitzel against the more exotic (=pricy) game meet or anything too fancy. Beer is expensive in bars (5-9e) so you might prefer a supermarket for drinks. Finland is a hi-tech country and generally very clean. When planning a trip the available light is an issue. It's terribly dark in Christmas when sun stays below the horizon but you can enjoy night skiing as the lights are on most of the day. Cross country tracks are also lighted and there's hundreds of km of them. Towards spring it quickly gets very light and sunny. A matter of preference I suppose.
My personal favourite resort is Ylläs.

Here's a site where you can browse the resorts etc: http://www.ski.fi/en/ The english info looks a bit dated but hopefully offers something useful.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Finland is great Cool I've only Alpine skied in Olos, which is not very big at all, but it was -25degC in January but dry and clear visibility for miles and the snow was lovely and crunchy and grippy. I took my Mum to see the Northern Lights and we stayed in Harriniva - lots to do if you don't fancy Alpine skiing, such as cross country skiing, dog sledding, ice go karts, reindeer rides, ice fishing, skidoos etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and what about rolling naked in the snow and beating yourself with birch twigs......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The cross-country skiing is fantastic and a completely different experience to what's offered on the valley floor in Alpine resorts. Just be prepared to be skated past by seventy year-olds who have been skiing since they could walk.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Yllas. More of a village than a resort and accomodation is spread out over a wide area. if you plan to stay in a cabin/apartment then check the location first as it could be quite a trek to the supermarket and restaurants in the central part of the village. The ski slopes are a short bus ride away but the cross country trails go right through the village. Its very easy in the evening to get away from the village to view the lights if they are visible. Husky dogs and sleigh rides are also a bus ride away

As I understand it, Levi is bigger with more ameneties/facilities in the village. With Yllas, you do feel like your in a winter wonderland and reindeer regularly roam around the village.

I've always fancied trying Saariselka but not got round to it yet. Could be worth a look as well
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied Ruka a few years ago in November. Organised it all by ourselves and it worked out pretty cheap. Go some great accommodation on the hill which included a sauna. Self catered but ate out most nights. Not to expensive eating out but we were there at the start of the season. Got a flight to Helsinki and then a connecting flight to Kuusamo.

In terms of skiing, most of it is pretty easy and a little limited. I seem to remember there being 3 chairs and a very expansive park if that's what you are into. We were there for 4 days skiing and that seemed to be the right amount for what we were after. There are lots of things to do in and around the area including northern lights tours, skiddo safaris and lots of cross country trails.

The one thing i would say though is that it is cold, and can get very cold. When we were there only one chair lift had a protective cover on it, so on a -20 day every 2 runs we would be dashing into the local huts or local cafe.

Certainly an experience, but a long way to travel if the weathers no good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dogwatch wrote:
The cross-country skiing is fantastic and a completely different experience to what's offered on the valley floor in Alpine resorts. Just be prepared to be skated past by seventy year-olds who have been skiing since they could walk.

+1 and also being passed by 5 year olds

The cross country allows you to have much more of a wilderness experience than the trails in most alpine resorts do

We have stayed in a hotel in Akaslompolo a couple of times which was excellent but the last few years we've hired a cottage on the (frozen) lake which makes it a bit more like home. There's lots of things other than skiing (alpine or nordic) too like
Reindeer herding
Trips to see and experience Saami culture
Ice fishing
Dog sledding
Snow mobiling
Snow-shoeing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I do some cross country skiing in Les Saisies and regularly get passed by 80 year olds in Lycra who can skate uphill at high speed. The domaine is mostly above 1600 - very little is flat; even the green runs have ups and downs. I still haven't mastered it, despite a full three weeks of lessons, but am improving and no longer have to take my skis off and walk down the descents on the red runs. But the blacks..... Embarassed Not too bad if the snow is soft but if it's fast and icy........

after sailing in the Norwegian Arctic this summer I'd like to do some XC skiing in Scandinavia but would have to choose my holiday very carefully not to overreach myself......

If you watch footage of XC skiing at Olympic level they fall over relatively frequently, which I find comforting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks everyone. Sounds like it's do-able and I think that I'll be giving it a go next year. It seems pretty cheap at least, and I'm not too bothered by the limited ski-ing as long as I can enjoy it. Pootling around is fine, and lack of altitude also a bonus for me. (And I'll be off to Austria in January and possibly another Austria/Italy trip in March as well - this is an extra treat.) It's certainly a much cheaper way of trying to see the Lights than the Aurora-specific holidays and tours (which don't appeal anyway) and I fancy the snowmobiles and huskies and snowshoeing etc (prefer to be doing it in the Dolomites, but that's another plan...).
That web link (ski.fi) seems to have some useful pointers.
Cold is not a particular issue, I think; do have a fair load of appropriate clothing and I'm quite keen on going 'Arctic'. Alcohol prices also not too much of an issue: come across that in Norway, too.
The word "supermarket" is very reassuring to me (if I can read the ingredients lists!). I have seen that there's self-catering apartments, so that looks a lot less scary, too. The words "cheerful burger/pizza/schnitzel" are again music to my ears, the word "exotic" and "restaurant" not so much. It's not that I'm afraid of "third world" countries (having been to and lived in quite a few - and not at all to say that Finland is in any way), nor that many very upmarket places (including the UK) can't be just as scary and dangerous for us: it's just that when something inhaled, touched or put into your mouth (i.e. allergies, as one example) can potentially kill you, you want to know what you're letting yourself in for and how you can protect against it or get around it, if possible. Maybe the 'wilderness' areas should be left for another year until I can find out a bit more about what's available there. Dtto the diy route: think that I'll do it organised for the first time and then if I want to go back I'll have more confidence and know where to look.
If I go, I'll post a report back.
Thanks again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, +1 on the XC. I loved it when I tried it last year in Norway, but surprisingly easy to fall over, especially if descending and/or turning.
snow report
I really quite fancy XC - though looks exhausting. Would be useful to learn for when we get some white stuff on the home 'fells' too (see quite a few people round here out playing on the odd day when it's possible). Came across a few XC places when I was in Norway too, and the people there (Brits often) were loving it. My sister had a go a few years ago on a 'touring' holiday and managed to break her ankle pretty quickly (then again, daft as I thougt it was, they'd let her go on the holiday without her even having ski-ed at all before!).

Trouble is, my travelling companion, suffering from some deep-seated trauma in his past, obviously, refuses to contemplate an activity with the word ski in it. Not fair: I even tried to learn to snowboard to experience it from his side, too... (ouch!) Maybe he could drive the snowmobile and drag me along on the uphill bits?
latest report
Quote:

though looks exhausting

it's not exhausting if you do it right.
ski holidays
Don't worry about Finland - my daughter has just gone there to study and most people will speak English very well and the food in the supermarkets is easily recognizable. Book it all up yourself, the transport system is very well organised. you ill enjoy it ( apart from the cold though ).
snow conditions
and it's much more enjoyable doing your own thing. I flew to Oslo in June then travelled round Oslo, Trondheim and to Bodo where I met my boat, all on public transport (or foot, as I travelled light). Train travel from Oslo to the Arctic was memorable, comfortable and inexpensive. Even the least adventurous traveller ought to be pretty relaxed about DIY holidays in Scandinavia. I used the Lonely Planet guide for cheap (ish) accommodation.
snow report
Thanks all. I've booked for a week in Pyha (with a tour package) in early Feb in a self-catering apartment - looks like it could be fun, and finges crossed for the non-ski/board bits and the lights. If I like it, I'll try the DIY route next time. Cold weather clothing is being checked and topped-up (as is the credit card!) rolling eyes
snow report
I love Finland. I lived in Helsinki and rode all the local hills there, but at the time the Alps were cheaper to get to from Helsinki so I didn't get north in winter.

Finland is not at all difficult or scary, and although the culture is subtle and different, the people are hugely friendly (especially if you're not morose or drunk). They "party" in a really civilized manner I've never seen anywhere else - all ages of people dancing together without being stupidly drunk (stupid drunks exist but they tend to be quiet, not rowdy).

Quote:
and what about rolling naked in the snow and beating yourself with birch twigs......

Just name the time and place wink

Sauna is everywhere, and you don't wear your pants in it. The only people I ever met who rolled in the snow were English sales people, who ended up in A&E. Check for ice, let someone else do it first, if you really must. Usually they'll have some cold "plunge pools" or a lake which is what they usually use to cool down. Vihta (the little branches to fan the air in a sauna and gently flail yourself with) aren't that common. You will always have something to sit on to protect you from the seat. Mixed sauna is fairly common so check in advance if you're prudish; Finnish people mostly aren't.

Cold *is* an issue, in a normal season. I have all the gear, but your skis will squeak as the snow slows down, plus with surface lifts most people will need to retire indoors every few runs if you get those temperatures. The snow does "keep" and can be dry, but it can consolidate quite hard with dust on top if you're unlucky. Just saying.

The food has a reputation for being bland (which sounds like it may be what you're looking for). I like my food and always managed to find excellent local food. Seafood isn't huge (Salmon soup is about as fishy as you'd find). Reindeer is a bit like other red meat, coarser grained than beef but not hugely different. My favourite is "Karelia Pie", which is a simple pastry.

Take some Sibelius, a translation of the Kalevala and an open mind.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy