Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The most useful item to have in your rucksack on the slopes...

Poster: A snowHead
Dr John wrote:
@Pruman, You're lucky that you have precognition......
thank you Doctor. It only hurts when I laugh.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snap, opening the zips is great, where I get caught out is when you bomb down to the lift, no que, sit on the chair lift, then the chill air gets into the zip openings, Laughing do up all the zips, then half way down the run open the zips as your skiing, I grumble about bringing poles the knapsack will probably drive me nuts. Mind you the girls can bring a bag of nuts and a roll of sweets in their own pockets. Laughing . Sod that for a game of soldiers my carrying all their stuff. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, toothbrush, new underware, slippers, t-shirt ect.
@Scrumpy, you seem not to be married and go skiing with 2 females. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@biddpyat, Yes it took me 20 years to work out to do the zips up as I get on the lift and undo them when I get off.
@Hyst,
Quote:

new underware

I note that you said but "new underwear" not "clean underwear". I think you should elaborate on that. I do actually know people who take slippers with them for staying in mountain huts but I just use the ones supplied by the guardian.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
@biddpyat, Yes it took me 20 years to work out to do the zips up as I get on the lift and undo them when I get off.
@Hyst,
Quote:

new underware

I note that you said but "new underwear" not "clean underwear". I think you should elaborate on that. I do actually know people who take slippers with them for staying in mountain huts but I just use the ones supplied by the guardian.

We live in a World of buy and through away. (But I still like that spell-check).
I hatte wet feet in a hut!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I carry a rucksack because, with four kids, a multipack of Mars bars costs a hell of a lot less than a round of hot chocolates!

They don't survive well in my coat or trouser pockets...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
Why would I want to carry snacks for myself or child?

Don't know why you would, but I like to have something to eat at around 11, usually with a coffee break.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pruman wrote:
Quote:

spare layer, neck warmer, spare goggles/lens, gloves/liners

all unnecessary. These days you should have a fair idea of what the weather is likely to do and what temperature to expect, before you set out. PPPPPPP.

Yes, which is why I often know that it's going to be a lot colder up high than at resort level, so pack an extra layer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugarmoma666, what about temperature inversion? PPPPPPP
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kids should carry their own snacks Wink

Not sure what this zip issue is, doesn't everyone have magnet seals on their coat ? Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my kids never had any issues carrying a great-than-survival helping choc bars in their pockets. In fact, thinking about it, I don't think I ever carried anything for any of them though I usually had a pocket of clean tissues when they were little. I definitely wouldn't carry anything for another adult unless they had some kind of relevant disability (not just disinclination).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Pruman,
Quote:

Quote:

all unnecessary. These days you should have a fair idea of what the weather is likely to do and what temperature to expect, before you set out.

Mmmm. 'cos the weather can never change at a moments notice on a mountain can it
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I carry 500ml water, chocolate bar to accompany hot chocolate mid morning, thin bluff, sunglasses and spare googles with different lenses in case light changes during the day. Just about squeeze all in my jacket, but I do them look like Michelin Man rolling eyes I sometimes uses a small backpack instead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

thin bluff

is that the look you use to dissuade the restaurateur from moaning at you for bringing your own chocolate bar to a restaurant?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
As an interesting point when I was young and again when my son was young we never had snacks or sweets between meals. Eating between meals was frowned upon, we just went from breakfast to dinner, to tea. Why would I want to carry snacks for myself or child?

Oh, I know this one. When you were young people were shaped like people, where as now most of them are fat.
ski holidays
fatboyski wrote:
@Pruman,
Quote:

Quote:

all unnecessary. These days you should have a fair idea of what the weather is likely to do and what temperature to expect, before you set out.

Mmmm. 'cos the weather can never change at a moments notice on a mountain can it

Of course it can change but your set-up will have a range and you shouldn't need to be carting around extra layers or carrying discarded layers. Then there's the "neck warmer" - either it's something like a Buff which you either wear around the neck (who knew?) or it slides into a pocket. Spare goggles? Why? Are you going around losing goggles or something? And if you can't find a lens that suits most conditions then you're not trying hard enough. Spare gloves? Either you are losing gloves (derrrrr) or they are not up to the job.
snow conditions
I think the bigger question is, why are you so against people carrying bags? It's stupider than when people moan about others wearing helmets! If I want to carry around a bag on the slopes with a left slipper and a half cooked turkey then why does it matter?
ski holidays
I was once on an egg lift in Alpe d'Huez. A couple of French guys opened their bags: one brought out plastic cups, the other a silver sack from a wine box declaring, "Un peut de Rosé?" to the lift's occupants in general.
I suppressed the urge to reply "But it's 10:30 in the morning man!" and instead said, "Pourquoi pas?"

Bags have their uses!
latest report
@pam w, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I dont wear a bag, i find it easier to put my stuff in my gf's bag Laughing i hope she doesnt see this thread and buy a bag to go inside her bag.
ski holidays
@admin, Isn't Pourquoi pas a vin chaude? I think I've cracked the language barrier for puns now. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I think the bigger question is, why are you so against people carrying bags?

You're right, it is a massive question. I blame my friend. He carries a bag mainly because he carries a ski lock and items that are "just in case". None of it ever leaves the bag as far as I can tell.
latest report
@admin, Laughing I once had a can of beer on a chairlift. I was acting as ski guide to a couple of Belgian lads and had warned them it was a long slow lift. They were hard up and had sandwiches too. The lift's been upgraded ; I couldn't drink a can on the new one.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
Quote:

I think the bigger question is, why are you so against people carrying bags?

You're right, it is a massive question.

Very Happy

I must admit that most bags are probably similar to your mates' one, packed with stuff just in case. My thinking is that as I need the bag for the one bottle of water that I want (and regularly use) then I may as well have some other stuff as spares. The buff is the most handy, after breathing through one all morning (and usually rolling around in the snow by mistake) then it's nice to put on a dry one after lunch
ski holidays
My mate gave me a can of redbull to carry for him, bad move. First chair-lift, lent back and pssss, burst can all over my contents - gloves, buff etc. I hate the smell of that stuff even more now, I remind him every time he asks me if I can carry his gear!
snow report
I tend to ski with a rucsac these days unless its really spring conditions - personally I find use of zips and a buff is enough to control my temperature across quite a wide range of conditions. If I'm skiing with mates then I will have off-piste gear plus a few bits and bobs in the "may as well since I'm carrying a rucsac" category.

If I'm with the family then I have got into the habit of carrying water, spare gloves (often a couple of pairs), spare buff, spare lightweight fleece, snacks /sweets, pack of cards, beanie, sunglasses. I could just about get all of that into pockets but I prefer well fitting rucsac over Michelin man. Most of that stuff fits into the category of "things that can bring round a cold, tired child and rev them up for more skiing" and has been fine-tuned with experience Very Happy Some of it is in the category of things it is nice to have when you stop for lunch (e.g., we all tend to wear goggles but sunnies are nicer at lunchtime). Also found it was easier for one person to carry a bag than everyone (less to leave in restaurants or get snagged on chair lifts).

To be honest, now the kids are bigger I can probably do without it. But it wont be all that long before we are all carrying off-piste packs most of the time...

Best thing? TBH its probably been a packet of haribo which has rescued me when I've challenged the kids a little too much Embarassed Almost impossible to do that these days though Shocked
latest report
Quote:

Michelin man

Everyone is fatter than they used to be (I'm talking averages here), most are wearing a lid which makes their head 50% bigger than it needs to be and now everyone is carrying a sack full of "just in case" stuff which makes their circumference double what it should be. Sometimes you get in a bubble and its like the last chopper out of Saigon.
snow report
Question for the pro-rucksack brigade:

Do you always take it off before getting on a chairlift? And do you insist that kids do the same?

Tragic story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34841450
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:

Do you always take it off before getting on a chairlift? And do you insist that kids do the same?

Tragic story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34841450

The one I use is from Decathlon as has a quick-release button for chairlifts so it slides around to the front without having to take the bag off.

That said, depending on how full it is, I don't always spin it round though as you show in that story, there is certainly a risk in not doing so...
snow report
@telford_mike, only take it off if told to or if I know I'll be uncomfortable. I feel it's safer kept on with all the straps and buckles fastened, taking it off leaves straps trailing all over the place which are far more likely to get trapped. Freak accidents will always happen.
ski holidays
It's amusing just how sanctimonious the non-rucksack wearers can be. wink
Who gives a toss either way? rolling eyes

If hill walkers can use them when setting forth for the day, why wouldn't skiers, for all same reasons?

How does a layering system work, if there is no layer depositary? Jumpers tied around the waist??

Pockets stuffed with hard sunny cases/hip flasks etc. are a hazard in a fall IMHO.
latest report
This could very easily turn into a helmet/no helmet thread Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Quote:

Do you always take it off before getting on a chairlift?

I have always deliberately had a small rucksack that would sit quite high up my back and so avoid the need for taking it on an off. I have got a new rucksack this season as i felt the old one was affecting the breathability of my jacket where it was sat on my back. New rucksack I chose will hopefully fulfill the same criteria but with a net that provides a gap for breathbility between the rucksack and my jacket. (it will no doubt also collect a load of snow in a high speed fall but you cant have it all!)

Interestingly my reason for having a rucksack in the firstplace was that my husband broke a rib when he fell and landed on his sunglasses in his ski jacket pocket. The sunglasses were OK thank goodnees Laughing
ski holidays
Yep, each to their own! I normally have a rucksack, but like a few others above, that’s because I normally ski with my offpiste gear. So I tend to also have a few other bits and pieces in there too – suncream, lock, spare buff, bar of choc (dark, with orange pieces, yum!), spare goggle lens, packable down jacket, lunch (much prefer to bootpack to a nice spot and sit in the snow with a view). It’s also got a camelbak (it is actually a Camelbak ski rucksack) which I do use a lot – certainly, and thankfully, a lot more than my shovel and probe  Having plenty of water to hand all day is an essential to me.

I like leaving my days open for experimentation – I generally don’t know how long I’ll be out for, I might change ski areas, the weather might change while I’m out etc, so I like to have the essentials with me.

I don’t normally take it off on a lift – it’s really slimline unless fully packed (when touring, so no lifts NehNeh). If it’s a really small, old lift I might swing it round, but that’s little hassle, I don’t mind.

If I know I won’t need my avalanche gear, I still like to take my rucksack for the water, and just in case – but if I know I’m only going out for a few hours and can cope without the water, and it’s all on piste, then yes, I do like to leave my rucksack behind, and everything I need will fit in my pockets.
snow report
Quote:

It's amusing just how sanctimonious the non-rucksack wearers can be.
said @Mollerski sanctimoniously.

Getting layering right for all day come-what-may comfort isn't that difficult.
latest report
@Mollerski, claiming to be able to forecast the days weather in the mountains isn't sanctimonious, it's dumb.
snow report
@Pruman, @Dr John, Chill out fellas! Struck a nerve? Very Happy

A bluebird day, leave the accomm at 9am it's chilly, from 10ish to 2pm it's warm, 2pm to apres' time chilly. No forecasting required. Shiver,sweat, shiver ain't my bag, if it is your's. wink

Dr. John. Wind yer neck in son. Less of the 'dumbs'.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 17-11-15 13:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Dr John, I don't believe I said I could do that. But there are enough sources of information in order to make an educated judgement on what to wear. Everything from looking out of the window, talking to the locals, going online. Dumb is not being able to judge it. Dumb is losing gloves and goggles. Sanctimonious moi?
snow conditions
@Mollerski, shock news, the temperature fluctuates during the day. You don't need to do the dressing/undressing game to cope.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
@Mollerski, shock news, the temperature fluctuates during the day. You don't need to do the dressing/undressing game to cope.

Whoa! A keyboard warrior, sanctimonious and sarcastic. The thread is all your's.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy