Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changing mount position on touring setup

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just bought some new boots (Atomic Backland, I now have a grin as wide as a Cheshire cat), and the boot sole length is 10mm shorter than my previous Scarpas. I ski on Atomic Aspects with Dynafit TLT. Most of my skiing is off piste, and probably about 20% of that is touring. I have a constant battle to stay out of the backseat. I'm 180cm, 76kg.
My bindings are currently mounted on the manufacture's line. If I move both toe and heel piece to stay on that line, the holes will be only 5mm from the previous holes, which concerns me.
So here's the question. Should I leave the toe piece where it is, and move the heel piece forward, or vice versa?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which model of Dynafit bindings do you have?

Are they the really old TLT with 6.4mm fore aft adjustment at the heel? Or one of the newer models with 12.5mm fore aft adjustment? Or a racing model with no fore aft adjustment?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They have only just enough adjustment to get the spacer distance right - certainly not enough to absorb 10mm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied Atomic Aspects with Dynafit Radicals mounted 10mm forward of the line. I liked it and didn't find any disadvantages, not even in powder.

I would move the heel 10mm forward, based on my experience 5mm forward of the line will be fine.

Alternatively you could move the heel a bit more than 10mm forward to give more hole clearance, and adjust the heel piece back a bit to keep the spacer distance correct.

Edit - Are they the really old TLT bindings? If you're using them 80% of the time from lifts maybe now is the time to buy some newer Dynafits Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 15-11-15 13:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chamcham, I would move the back binding, however for a small weight penelty you may be able to fit a plate under the rear binding using existing holes that will give the adjustment you need.

Looks like this.

http://www.dynafit.com/en/back-adjustment-plate.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:
@Chamcham, I would move the back binding, however for a small weight penelty you may be able to fit a plate under the rear binding using existing holes that will give the adjustment you need.

Looks like this.

http://www.dynafit.com/en/back-adjustment-plate.html

We don't know which binding ChamCham has, but worth noting that the shift plate in your link is for a binding with a three hole heel.

The Piste Office sells heel and toe shift plates for Dynafits with four hole toes and four hole heels. But again we don't know if they will fit ChamCham's bindings.

Worth noting too that an adjustment plate under the heel makes the ramp angle greater, which may not be a good thing if ChamCham says that (like me) he struggles to keep out of the back seat.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it is a delta problem then I would be inclined to move the toe and raise it by enough to resolve the back seat issues. Spyderjon can help with that. Otherwise I would move the heelpiece as others have suggested.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Oceanic, @jbob, @gorilla, All hlepful answers, thanks.

@Oceanic, The binding is the TLT speed, 3-4 years old. In fact, there is some adjustment on the baseplate, with about 10mm fore and aft adjustment, but unfortunately, they're on the forward end of that range already. I'm thinking I might change the whole setup for a fatter ski next year (although I was tempted by the Zag Ubacs on Sports Pursuit), but I think I've already pushed my luck with Mrs C with the Backlands (but they are fantastic Smile)

@gorilla, I'm hoping my back seat issues may be helped by the fact that the Backland cuff sits more upright than my Scarpas, which had quite a marked forward lean.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@gorilla, I'm hoping my back seat issues may be helped by the fact that the Backland cuff sits more upright than my Scarpas, which had quite a marked forward lean.

That's a reasonable expectation. It depends how sensitive you are to it. I can feel a difference between 3mm and 4mm of heel rise, for instance. Some people can ski anything and wonder what all the fuss is about. You can simulate it by putting your boots on and putting an appropriately thick wedge of paper under the heel. If you still feel in the backseat then you may benefit from raising the toe. I wish you the very best of luck. It took me ages to get this right.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Less forward lean should help you to stand more centred on the skis, works for me!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy