Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm not hiring anymore

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

As this is my first ever post I thought it best to stick to the basics. My daughter is now 16 and the hire charge has doubled so its time to but her some skis. Any tips on what I should be looking for? I have trawled Ebay and Gumtree and don't know what it is I am looking at. 9 weeks of skiing since the age of 6 all on piste and is confident if not technically brilliant. Also she is 168cm tall so looking in the 155 to 165cm length.

Thanks for all suggestions
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Start with the right bootfitter if her feet have grown out by now!! She will be greatful! If she already has her own good boots, you could look at at rossignol attraction (if you still can find them)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50222 (a bit old - but new models have come- but don't know if it is produced anymore), there are several models of attraxtion depending on the skiers ability and wishes.

Both my females like them. (6 Echo and 8 Echo).

May we ask for her weight? Embarassed And whitch pistes she runs? Is she a careful skier or agressive skier?

I am not the right person to ask, but the right person needs the information.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pompeyc, Welcome to Snowheads.

If you are buying skis, don't forget about the ski carriage charges! If you are basing your decision on cost, it may not be any cheaper for one week a year as you also have to have them serviced unless you do that yourself. If you are thinking of it because she wants her own skis so that she has a consistent experience and has a ski she really likes, then I would suggest that she needs to demo some before you buy. If you live near a indoor slope, Snow and Rock and Ellis Brigham allow you to demo. It may help her to narrow down what she likes - even if you ultimately end up buying a second hand pair online. If you buy online, really look carefully at the condition (is there any edge left? Are there any deep scratches on the base?). Most skis, but not all, are for sale on line for a reason!

There are a lot of ski reviews both on here if you search but also on line from many of the ski magazines. They can be biased towards certain manufacturers but they give you the feel for all mountain ranges, on-piste, fatter off piste skis, etc. If you see a pair online that you think may be good, google that specific ski and you will be able to read about it, even if it is several years old.

Also, if you narrow it down, there are many knowledgeable people who can give you a view, but do some basic research first as it will help you to set the parameters.

If you do buy second hand, I am sure you know, but make sure you get them set up properly and the DIN setting correct so they are safe!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I saw the title and assumed it was the Nixnax thread.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the input. Her weight is around 65 kg and she has grown to full height as she is taller than all of us. I was thinking of getting some twin tips as she plays more than skis aggressively. All of this is piste based as she is not as adventurous as I'd like but what do I know.

As for ski carriage I know it's a bit of a fag at £60 plus but in St Aston it's now £160 to hire for the week. If it was France in the low season I wouldn't be worrying.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

she is not as adventurous as I'd like

maybe a fun course of ski lessons with other teenagers? Does she have park aspirations? If so, lessons would be good. If not, not much point in twin tips.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

she has grown to full height as she is taller than all of us

I am not convinced that that is a valid criterium. wink

I am not convinced that buying second hand skis is a good economy either. At fair value, the price will reflect the remaining useful life. You might get lucky, more likely you will over pay (actually, in any case, if it's a competitive auction and you "win" you will over pay anyway).

Given that she will hopefully improve over coming holidays, and that she may not have stopped growing (in mass, if not in height) and that it's one week a year and taking into account carriage and servicing I'd still suggest renting is overall more sensible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or go somewhere where renting a pair of skis doesn't require taking out a second mortgage. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @Pompeyc St Aston is a new place for me .. sound like somewhere in Cornwall!

If you drive down there this makes perfect sense to buy a 2nd hand pair of boards.
I once too had a daughter who was once 16 ... I remember it well ... Gosh those "Hormones".

What she liked to ski on most at that stage was a pair of "Big Foot" so she could show off to the boyz
I'm sure that you know that young ladies are very fickle at that stage, so whatever you get her will receive an "Uh?"

I would just concentrate on getting them the right colour and put some Gucci stickers on them.
Dont worry about the bases or edges, she is going to leave them outside the "Underground", "Kangaroo" or the "Mosserwirt" anyway!

Prepare to meet your son in lawn of the future .. I guarantee you he will be a boarder in dreadlocks.

Dad's hmmm! We just don't matter any more!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrLawn, You are just so right. we don't matter anymore (if they can get the money).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pompeyc,

Go buy a Winnebago.

Resign your job!

Sell most of your posessions.

Buy a decent pair of skis............. for yourself.

Resign the fact that your daughter's choice will never be your own choice ......... .

Sod the company pension................ it'll be worth 30% of what you think it will be.

If she's 16 already ............ she's not going to be the household name you really wish for.

Spend your money on handbags and Manalo Blahnics.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wot a lot of cynical old fathers.... Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If she's 16 then you will already know that daughters are expensive, why try and save money now? It's a bit late and a bit futile. Just bite the bullet and hire , you know that if you buy, it might be cool for this season, unless you really excel at saving and buy last years model in which case it will be wrong.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, right! wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 15-11-15 22:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pompeyc,

You're not hiring, you're not hiring, you're not hiring anymore! You're not hiring anymore! Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi. St Anton not St Aston. I will look into that place.

When choosing a resort to go to ski hire prices are quite low on the priority list after WiFi, beer prices and ski region.

My other thought in this problem is whenever I've hired for her before she never complains or asks any questions with regard to the ski she has been given. Maybe she's not that fussed.

I will look for a pair of Rossignol Abrasion and if I don't find something semi decent and cheap I will hire again and decide when we are there what she's included towards.

Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy