Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Airbag Post - Alpride System

Poster: A snowHead
I've recently been quite impressed with the Scott and Alpride offering of avalanche bags.

I've had some looking around and found that you can purchase the bags without the alpride system (alpride ready) as they are termed. I guess similar to the ABS compatible bags that many ski brands now produce.

The thing is I can't seem to find anyone that stocks the alpride system without a bag. Does anyone know if/where you can purchase the alpride system without a bag and what the guide price is?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry but you can't purchase the Alpride system on it's own (they don't want people trying to make there own systems up with non alpride compatible bags - for obvious reasons!).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ortovox are the only ones (that I know of so could be more) that sell the abs packs empty and then the mass units separately so you can add later.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
had a feeling that may be the case. It's as if Alpride system are trying to be modular but they aren't. Not close to what ABS are offering in terms of their compatible packs and base units.

Its a shame as the alpride system is very appealing with the mechanical trigger and cheap cartridges. Can always fly without and pickup new cartridges at destination like that. Especially good for when travelling out of EU/US where airport staff/airlines aren's as familiar with the systems and IATA regs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Alpride system is modular in that once you've bought one full kit (ie a pack c/w airbag system) then the airbag system can be swapped between any of the other Alpride compatible packs from Scott. There's six compatible packs in their range to choose from, all with different capacities/features to cover pretty much every requirement. Here's how easy it is to install the Alpride airbag system:

http://youtube.com/v/8qyArANpQbE
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
extremerob wrote:
had a feeling that may be the case. It's as if Alpride system are trying to be modular but they aren't. Not close to what ABS are offering in terms of their compatible packs and base units."

Scott's largest pack is 40 litre and the smallest is 12 litre (with a D30 back protector as an optional extra) - How much more compatible are you after?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@extremerob,
As mentioned above, there is the Ortovox ABS system which you can buy the components separately, and also all the air bag ready bags from Mammut and the Snowpulse range are available.

We have quite a few people who buy the pack without airbags then add that later, or who buy a number of packs and one airbag system.

Both ABS and Mammut cylinders now are more like buying a calor cylinder, you pay once and then get very cheap refill replacements if god forbid you have to use the bag in anger!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, my idea of modular would be that you could buy the components individually. I guess yes, you can purchase the 12l freeride one for days you're within the resort bounds and then the larger 30/40 for touring days and switch the bag accordingly.

Maybe its a misconception of mine but ABS seems alot more modular.

@livetoski, you're right about the cylinders becoming cheaper to refill. My understanding is you can't travel with the trigger and sans canister with an ABS/Snowpulse hence why the alpride is very appealing.

Thanks guys the original question of mine has been answered.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@extremerob,

You can travel with a cylinder and trigger, according to the IATA regulations, its fine for Europe and most of the world, its just the USA has different regulations.

I have heard that people are getting the Alprides onto plans, but actually it does not meet the IATA regualtions as it has 2 cylinders, you are only allowed one officially!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@livetoski, The Scott Alpride system bends the regulation slightly, but does not break them.

By having two cartridges it does not comply with the Avalanche Rescue Backpack section, but it does comply with the Small non-flammable gas cartridges, shown below. Technically it is a "self-inflating safety device", but it is not really what the regulation was intended for.

Small non-flammable gas cartridges, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up to two (2) small cartridges fitted into a self-inflating safety device such as a life-jacket or vest. Not more than one (1) device per passenger, and up to two (2) spare small cartridges per passenger, not more than four (4) cartridges up to 50 mL water capacity for other devices (see 2.3.4.2).

It is always worth checking the IATA 2.3 guidelines, as the are regularly updated. The current release is the 56th EDITION, 1 JANUARY 2015.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PowderAdict,
Yep agreed its a technicality, but the key point is that it does not meet the regs for a "Avalanche Rescue Backpack" which is what it is, its not a life vest or life jacket, I would not like to debate this with a airport security guard on the basis that "it bends the rules a little" !

The IATA regs as you say always update in the January, my guess is that it will take a few years for them to catch up with the changes to airbags such as the Scott one and also the new electric ones
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@livetoski, I was just stating the basis of the Alpride and the IATA, I'm not saying I agree with it.

I have enough issues at check in with my ABS pack. The ABS system has been around for many years, but it is still only seen by a tiny fraction of check in staff in the UK. Presenting them with a Alpride that sort of complies is a recipe for confusion and delay.

I agree about the IATA updates, as they were originally only for the ABS nitrogen/trigger system, but now technically cover the compressed air system as well.

I now have a Pieps Jetforce as well, so technically it has to comply with the battery regulation. But I will still be calling the BA security line to check.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PowderAdict,
Quote:

I now have a Pieps Jetforce as well

Yep interesting about the battery, on the Jet Force and another couple of things on the pack, have you flown with it yet? (sorry not wanting to hijack the thread!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PowderAdict, what do you think of the pack in general? I like the idea of easy re-pack, easy testing, getting more than one charge so more inclined to pull the trigger etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@livetoski, Only just got it so I have not flown with it yet, first flight in January. I'll be calling the BA security line for confirmation. It will be going in the hold bags, as that relies on the BA check in staff, rather than random bored security staff with a check list that won't include Avalanche Rescue Backpacks.

@galpinos, My thoughts are in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2778902&highlight=jetforce#2778902

So far I have triggered it 3 times over a month period without recharging, and it it still showing 2 out of 4 lights. Obviously this has been at room temperature, rather than snow conditions. Still that amounts to £150 worth of ABS refills, for a few pence worth of electricity.
snow report
@PowderAdict,
Quote:

Still that amounts to £150 worth of ABS refills, for a few pence worth of electricity.

Nope not true any more used to be like that, its just an exchange now with either the ABS cylinders or the Mammut ones cost in resort approx 15 euro for a new full cylinder if you hand in an empty Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Nope not true any more used to be like that, its just an exchange now with either the ABS cylinders or the Mammut ones cost in resort approx 15 euro for a new full cylinder if you hand in an empty

Do retailers have to provide that service? That's really good. I keep meaning to test fire my ABS but was thinking it was 50+ euro and the risk that the cylinder was out of stock when you got to the shop (cylinders went very scarce with the recall last season)
snow report
@livetoski, I wasn't aware that the cost had been cut in resorts, but fortunately I have never needed to refill one. I was referring to annual testing in the UK before my first trip.

Two UK websites offering refills are currently showing £25 and £30 for refills plus courier both ways. Hopefully the €15 (£11) refill is on its way in the UK Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Two UK websites offering refills are currently showing £25 and £30 for refills plus courier both ways. Hopefully the €15 (£11) refill is on its way in the UK

You can ship an empty cylinder via royal mail for as little as £2.80, when I send out cylinders I use UPS but the courier price is included in my £30.00 if people come here then yep I charge £15 to cover my return costs to ABS.

Its correct last season we could not get steel cylinders due to the recall, but its all OK now.
ski holidays
@livetoski, OK, I stand corrected it not £150 from yourself, but it is still between £45 and £100, to test three times.

Btw: I thought the general advice was to avoid Royal Mail for empty cartridges as they have a occasionally been destroying cartridges as dangerous goods. I nearly lost one 2 years ago, and when I got it back after 2 weeks, the box was covered in warning stickers, and ground transport only labels.

From the Royal Mail site http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

Gases including flammable, non-flammable, toxic and compressed gases, new, used and empty gas cylinders, butane, ethane, refills for lighters, fire extinguishers and scuba tanks, life jackets, nitrogen dioxide and carbon dioxide canisters (culinary foaming devices & soda stream),

1. All flammable compressed gases are prohibited e.g. blowlamps; butane; lighters and refills containing flammable liquid or gas; ethane; gas cylinders for camping stoves; hydrogen; methane and propane.
2. All toxic compressed gases are prohibited e.g. chlorine; fluorine etc.
3. All non-flammable compressed gases are prohibited e.g. air bags; scuba tanks, carbon dioxide; fire extinguishers; neon and nitrogen.
snow report
I believe Arcteryx have one in the sales pipe, same approach as Black Diamond, of which I'm waiting for version 3.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy