Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zag Skis on Sport Pursuit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Zag skis on Sport Pursuit look pretty decent value, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a pair. Anyone here use them, rate them?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tested a couple of pairs last winter - really liked them (fun, playful, fair bit of scope, though inevitably more performance from the mens versions), and a good range. Will check out Sports Pursuit now, thanks for the heads up Smile

I do NOT need more skis though!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, I was kind of interested in this too. I've just bought new skis anyway but it was interesting to see full touring setups (skis/skins/bindings) in the SP sale.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tested a couple of models in January during a test tour in St Foy. Was really impressed. My brother, who is a begginer, was adamant to stick to rental skiis and was very reluctant to try Zags as most models were fatter than he is used to. He finally gave up and tried it too and found the narrowest model on test extremely fun and nice too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's the write up (while it was still fresh) from the ski testing I did last Jan in Chamonix (Freeride World Tour weekend, lots of brands offering free testing). I tested another pair from the local shop a few weeks later, but can't remember what model, or the details of how they felt, other than "good/fun".

Quote:
Zag
They came with a good range, and two really nice helpful people to show them off. By far the most popular skis to test, and by mid-morning on the Saturday they didn't have many left!
I skied the Z 2L in 165cm (dimensions 134 / 84 / 114). (I wanted to try the UBACs in 184cm, but the touring bindings fitted couldn't be adjusted small enough for my boots!) Very good ski - no issues with it anywhere, had full confidence straight away. Nimble, but charged well and felt very solid. It felt like there wasn't much more though if I wanted to push any harder. But an easy ski to take anywhere.

I've seen the UBACs in the SP sale - I wish I had tested them so I'd know if it was worth going for them or not NehNeh The only possible hole in my quiver is a pair if bigger, lighter touring skis - but my plan is to test a few pairs over this winter, see how much touring I really do, and how my current skis hold up, before committing to more spend...

FWIW a friend of mine LOVES his giant Zag Slap skis - skis them on anything, including hard icy conditions, with a style and confidence I doubt I'll ever achieve - but he's a REALLY good skier, well out of the reach of most mortals. Lovely to watch though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You see a lot around cham. The package with touring skis, bindings and skins is very good value, only thing is they are big skis with frame bindings so not great for hut to hut stuff, but still half price or better. I've tested some and found them a bit weird but it was the first time I'd been on fully rockered skis. Railing them on piste was disconcerting as they had multiple radii but in the trees and deep snow they were fantastic.
FYI there is a zag test centre near Argentiere with all sorts of zag skis incl touring set ups.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jbob, what do you mean by "really big skis with frame bindings so not great for hut to hut stuff"? I've done a about 5 tours over the last 8 years, 3 of which have been hut-to-hut. I've just signed up to do the Ortler route which is a 6 day hut-to-hut tour. In the past I've always rented skis and not really paid much attention to what I've had. This year I'm thinking of buying and the package on Sports Pursuit looked too good to miss but you've made me worried now.

Basically I'm a downhill skier and am less worried about the down hill bit, but need all the help I can get on the long uphill bits.

I compared the Ubac skis 134/102/120 mm (for length 176cm) to the Black Diamond (new seasons Carbon Aspect) which are 127/90/113 mm; so yes, I can see the Ubac's are wider. What I liked however was that the Ubac's only weight 1.6kg vs 2.6kg for the Black Diamonds. Saving the 1kg sounds attractive to me. NB. I see that the Sport Pursuit offer covers Ubac and Ubac XL.

It seems the XL are both longer and wider. Any other differences I should be aware of?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

"really big skis with frame bindings so not great for hut to hut stuff"?

jbob will likely answer himself but what he is getting at is that in general skinnier skis with dynafit style pin / tech bindings are lighter. That said, you probably have been used to frame bindings (most rental touring packages use them or did until very recently). Personally speaking, I would feel happy using the zag set up for hut to hut even if something a bit narrower with tech bindings would be optimal
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Touring on big skis with frame bindings.
There are positive things, great on the way down and flexibility in the boots you can use. The downsides are, they tend to be heavier (although the ubac is light), wide skis can be a pain in a narrow skin track as they catch the edges, this is getting less of an issue as more wide skis are used, longer skis can be unwieldy and more difficult to kick turn with on steeper ground, wide skis can be tricky on icy traverses and you need to use ski crampons more often.
However, if you are fit and flexible and your mates aren't on super light kit they would be fine. For me an hour or two skinning and a big down, I would grab my fat skis (Scott powdairs 100mm), four or five hours day after day then I would go for a super light set up and accept the poor downhill performance. Having said all that when I did the HLR a few years ago it was on heavy skis with frame bindings!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy