Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Winter Tyre Thread (BMW)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello folks,

First of all I'm sorry for another winter tyre thread however, in a moment of madness I (a skier) purchased a RWD BMW 1 series (F20). It's come with 17" alloys running 225/45/17's however they are supper slippy runflats!

I'm looking at sticking a new set of alloys on with winters. Does anyone have any experience with going smaller? Read a few reviews on BMW fourms saying smaller and narrower is the way to go?

Thanks in advance Blush NehNeh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like half good advice. Smaller rims + narrower, higher-profile tyres = same overall diameter.

Try:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91733
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Might be worth considering steel rims for the few months of winter eg http://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheels
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a felow BMW driver, the main advice is - you can go smaller, but always stick to what is prescribed by the manual (you can see it either in the manuer or on the door sill). As per realoem.com, the smaller in size 16 inch version would be this - 205/55R16 91W. Should be much cheaper than 17 inch version too and look OK on F20. I downsize from 19 inch in summer shoes to 17 inch in winter and it is still OK too Smile

I visited my dealer for a regular maintenance last Friday and noticed they had (alhtough in Belgium) a very good deal on a full winter set (wheel and tyres). Check with a couple of dealers arround you, maybe it is EU wide promo compaign. It was not a regular 'buy 3 get 4th free', but in the order of 40-50% off from the list prices for a comlete set. I was checking my winter size and it went from 1600 EUR to 850 EUR ... rather good I would say.

R
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I (personally) don't think you're mad to buy a 1 series, they look like nice cars Happy

A few years ago when we last had a hard winter BMW had pretty bad press in the UK for how badly they handled in the snow, and no doubt the Audi drivers were pretty smug about it. Since then the dealerships have offered pretty good deals on winter wheel sets. I shopped around and found that the deal BMW offered was actually better than buying a set from an independent outfit. I'd certainly recommend getting a quote from your nearest dealer and comparing it to others. They also do a fairly reasonable deal on swapping the wheels and storing the spare set for you.

Yes, you do typically drop down an inch on wheel size and obviously fit bigger tyres to ensure the overall size is the same. I went from 17" alloys to 16" steel winter wheels. If you buy from BMW or any decent outfit they'll recommend the right size wheels/tyres for you based on your current spec.

I'd recommend doing it. It's essential if you travel to the Alps, and if we do get snow in the UK you'll be all set (although the best tyres in the world don't help when the road is blocked by other cars without winter tyres). They also perform very well in the wet and normal greasy winter conditions. They are slightly noisier and I guess handling and fuel economy in the dry are not as good as summer tyres.

BTW, my winter tyres are also runflats.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going down a rim size but higher profile will help. Going to 205/55/16 is only 2-3mm different overall diameter so insignificant but it's a hugely popular tyre size so lots of choice and cheaper. I'd go for steel wheels for winter, then if you do slide into a kurb it'll do less damage and they're not affected by salt as much.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @Gartcoshyy,
I had a BMW320D Touring which came fitted with 225/45R17 91W run flats. On recommendation from a local tyre guy I fitted Nokian WR G2 205/55 R16 91V Run Flats which were superb, I have since sold the car but currently have the tyres and alloy (bit scuffed) centres for sale on Ebay.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timc, @Gartcoshyy, 1 serries and 3 serries wheels are different (usualy), so check carefully before deciding!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mooney058, I quite agree, @Gartcoshyy, would need to be very certain before considering bidding.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd second going to your BMW dealer and getting a quote from them for new wheels and winter tyres. Ask them what sizes are certified for your specific model/variant (remember, you may also want to fit chains). I also found that their quote was competitive and went with them on the basis that they store the unused set for me. When I bought, the tyres were 'free' with the wheels (of course not, but that's how they present it). I also bought chains, as while winter tyres are great, you may still find you need them (i) because the police say so and (ii) because you're on ice or a very steep slope.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for checking with the dealer on sizes. My winter wheels (on a 5 series) are the same size as the summers - 225/55 17 - but this is the smallest size for the car so I guess they can't go smaller. I didn't query the sizes on the basis that they should know what they're doing here in Sweden Happy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And importantly going to a narrower section tyre allows more room for chain links to get past fixed suspension bits. Police do stop cars and insist on chains from time to time for tricky sections. Although I got tyre cables which are slimmer than chains, but a USA product and quite difficult to get to UK. Also have the Michelin Easy Grip, but not yet used them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the replies folks, I won't be heading to the Alps in it however I do live in the Highlands of Scotland and we do experience roughly 15 - 20 days of snow per year where I am. My 225/45/17's were optional extras, so the 7.0j 16" 205/55/16's are actually the stock size. I've scouted a nice set to complement the colour (It's Valencia Orange) so quite happy to pay £499 for 4 x 16" alloys plus winters.

Cheers Folks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tell your insurance if you are changing tire size, I was told its ok not to notify if they are the same size but a "modification" if different om wheel size.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gartcoshyy, sounds like a good deal, and obviously your summer tyres will now last twice as long so you get back a lot of that investment over time (those runflats aren't cheap to replace).
snow report
Can I butt into your thread to ask some advice?
Do people think snow tyres for a 23 foot Hymer would be a good idea for alpine and dolomite skiing in Feb and March ? First time motorhomer/ skier so looking to cover bases.
What do you think?
Thanks
snow conditions
@poppyb, no idea what a Hymer is, but if you're driving around the Alps winter tyres are either a good idea or mandatory depending on where you go.
ski holidays
@Gartcoshyy, You will love the 205/55/16's winters in poor conditions, they are so much fun and give so much extra grip. They really make driving in snow a real pleasure (even/especially with RWD).
latest report
Thanks.
The Hymer is a motor home that we plan on skiing out of. Chains are compulsory in the winter in france - to carry, at least but winter tyres sound like a good idea too.
snow report
Hi @poppyb I'd say yes get the winter tyres, but see if you can get some steel wheels to put them on then you can keep your summer tyres intact at the back of the shed.
ski holidays
Thanks. Are the steel wheels and the winter tyres likely to amount to a lot?
Sorry for all the questions.
latest report
@poppyb, there are various websites you can look at. We have used Oponeo very successfully a few times now. They were very particular to make sure that I had ordered the right size rims and tyres for my Ibiza the other year and rang Seat themselves to check it out. My tyres is also another one to look at.
snow report
poppyb wrote:
Can I butt into your thread to ask some advice?
Do people think snow tyres for a 23 foot Hymer would be a good idea for alpine and dolomite skiing in Feb and March ? First time motorhomer/ skier so looking to cover bases.
What do you think?
Thanks

It's more than a good idea it's illegal in mainly European countries (e.g. Austria) to drive a vehicle with summer tyres in winter conditions. It's illegal for a reason, without winter tyres there would be carnage (winter temps are much lower than the UK, ice and snow can last for months not hours). Here in Austria fines range from €35 to €5000 for not having winter tyres in winter conditions. If you injure someone you could also be personally liable and face a civil claim. One year the winter weather hit Austria suddenly and many foreigners (esp. delivery lorries) didn't have winter tyres. A mass pile up on the motorway occured and people (inc many children) were stranded over night. Since shortly after this event the Austrian Police have the power to stop you continuing your journey if you don't have winter tyres.
snow report
Thanks. That sounds very sensible legislation!
I think the choice is now whether to alternate winter and summer tyres year or mud and snow tyres for year round.
Any views on that?
latest report
@poppyb, it really depends on:
- tyre model
- predominant weather conditions
- speed driven
- distances covered
- weight/load
- correct tyre preassure!!!

If you drive a lot in summer in a heavier vehicle, snow tyres will not last long and would lose their properties when used on winter roads again.
snow report
@mooney058, but bear in mind a camper will likely do not many miles at all. In that case the tread could well outlast the tyre's ageing effects. IIRC, tyres should be replaced at least every 6/10 years. If so, there's mileage to be gained by just sticking to winters.
snow report
@poppyb: Be aware that Mud&Snow tyres are not winter tyres, although M&S tyres can be winter tyres as well. Winter tyres carry a 'mountain and snowflake' symbol on them and among other things, have a very different tread compound, designed for lower temperatures (as well as the familiar tread patterns that trap snow and give snow-on-snow traction etc. Plus more 'sipes' - the small narrow grooves). Winter tyres are better in sub 7°C temperatures and give you better traction and stopping, even if it's not snowy).
M&S tyres are a separate, parallel type that have a much chunkier tread designed for mud (frankly, the '&snow' suffix should be dropped as it's confusing and moreover, not certified or any sort of official standard).

You probably mean 'all weather' tyres, which are popular in the USA and have recently started to be more heavily marketed in Europe. Opinion is divided, but they are a compromise, as you'd expect. Being not the best in either winter or summer. Personally, I've gone for completely separate winter tyres and summer tyres, swapping them 'round every spring/autumn.
ski holidays
@poppyb,

This might help.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@poppyb, I run M&S tyres on both my SUV & pick up (the Pirelli Scorpions on the SUV are even the 'all-season' version of that tyre), BUT, only in the shoulders and summer months. In winter I swap to a proper winter tyre (personal preference is Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extremes on both). The difference with the M&S tyres is chalk & cheese.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy