Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European car hire "law"?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A French customs officer stopped me on the F/Swiss border yesterday and informed me that under "a new European law" cars hired in Switzerland may only be driven in EC countries for one week....rentals of more than 7 days must be from an EC country. Has anyone heard of this "law"?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not me. It sounds implausible, but who knows? I can find nothing about it on th eHertz site (a dummy booking for GVA didn't bring up anything about it), although it does say that EU residents driving into Austria (an EU member) for 8 days or more should contact Hertz. The only mention of Switzerland m'way carnets.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never heard of and can't find any references in google. Seems to go against the opening up of EU swiss borders that's underway. He was just trying to be over zealous and officious methinks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
and how could they track it anyway?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
See here

Quote:
A new law regarding rental cars outside the European Union has been in effect since August 5, 1999: if you rent a car in a country that does not belong to the European Union, such as Switzerland, you are only permitted to drive it for eight days in any EU country. If you stay longer, you must leave the car at a branch of the rental agency. They will hold it and return it to you when you depart for the non-EU country in which it was rented.
If you inform the rental agency of a non-EU country in advance that you need a car longer than eight days in an EU country, they will try their best to rent you a car that is registered in an EU country which will permit you to drive it indefinitely in any EU country.

Not exactly "new" but I didn't know about it, I don't think we've ever gone over the limit but we must have come close once or twice!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
and how could they track it anyway?
Your contract paperwork which you are obliged to carry and show on demand?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually bizaarely I do vaguely remember hearing about this law, especially interesting in Geneva where one side is Swiss and the other French, have to be careful which side you rent your car from!!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp, sounds about right.

I'd not heard of it either - seems bizzare and OTT. What's the rationale? Protectionism?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Hertz site has a reasonably user friendly 'terms and conditions' page, which desn't seem to mention this at all. It mentions that you can't go to various E.European countries, some stuff about Austria, and so on, but no this, which seems strange.

I wonder if the car hire co. could use it to avoid taking responsibility for an insurance claim.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy